Hydaelyn Role-Players
Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread (/showthread.php?tid=19397)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - SleepyChipmunk - 05-18-2017

I'm brand new, just made my character right after maintenance. I'd been lurking on here and asking around on Reddit, and was told there wasn't any options other than Balmung, so I was feeling incredibly discouraged when I learned I wouldn't even be able to transfer other. Instead of giving up, I decided to try Mateus. Not only that did I find random rp later on in the day, but the people I met were incredibly welcoming. Seriously, my friends list is filling up ridiculously fast rn. I definitely recommend Matty to anyone who found themselves lost after the server locks.

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Lydia Lightfoot - 05-18-2017

I'm glad the folks on Mateus are strategically seizing the opportunity to rally around the influx of potential newcomers who would've otherwise gone to Balmung. It's a smart move and one which could pay off for the server, and commendable that they're making the effort to reach out so strongly. Mostly, though, it's just really nice to see that the people who are feeling displaced (or unwanted) due to SE's decision are getting an opportunity to give FF14 a shot.

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Arrelaine - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 12:44 AM)Sig Wrote: This is a troubling but probable observation made by a PVEer on the thread on the official FFXIV forums:

"Ultimately, this is now on the RPers to figure out what they are going to do.

Sitting around and not planning, not finding a new server to build a community on, will only hurt you. Balmung will remain locked for months, maybe even years. Your community will not grow, you can't make new alts nor risk deleting old ones. Things will stagnate, and the community will start to slowly die, while the PvE community will continue to do what they always do.

Start planning now, or you'll just tear your community apart and deal yourself irreparable damage. There is no official RP server, and if SE makes one, it will be a brand-new server you need to make new characters or transfer to.

Start planning a solution for your problem, and put in the work to make it succeed.

RP in this game is purely fan-made right now, so your solution will have to be as well."

The restriction on transfers creates a very real risk of roleplay community decline.  I've heard at least half a dozen friends and RP acquiescences opine that "this will be just like 2.0 and 3.0, and they'll open the server back up in a couple of months."  This is a very probable scenario, but it can't be taken as granted.  Roleplayers should therefore think of contingencies. 

The best contingency is for everyone in Balmung to hold fast (not to transfer or try to create yet another alternative "unofficial" RP server).  Roleplayers should have access to a large, diverse, and vibrant roleplay hub (Balmung) that can afford the most roleplay opportunities to the broadest selection of RPers.  We should ideally put pressure on SE to lift the restriction as soon as possible, disclose the date it will be lifted, or designate an official RP server.
SE will do none of these things. The server is too full for their hardware, you can't lift that restriction and risk server stability. You think this backlash is big, wait until the server is constantly crashing or people can't get in for days because there are too many people logged in. You push too hard, and you may end up with megaservers instead (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does make it harder to find RP). People have tried to get them to make an official RP server for a long time, they have no interest in doing so. It won't change anything, anyway. Non-rpers who are already on Balmung and have no wish to move won't, and it'll still be at capacity. I doubt there are many at all who will even take the free server transfers, especially if they have a house. They don't reimburse if you bought from a flipper after all.

The best thing to do is support those trying to foster another RP server, because it's been needed for a while. Hell, I'll probably end up transferring a couple of alts myself and adding to it. They've been trying to get people to not come here for a long time (though it's silly you can't make alts, you're already on the server Undecided).

(05-18-2017, 08:26 AM)Arrelaine Wrote: <snip> The server is too full for their hardware, you can't lift that restriction and risk server stability. You think this backlash is big, wait until the server is constantly crashing or people can't get in for days because there are too many people logged in. You push too hard, and you may end up with megaservers instead (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does make it harder to find RP). <snip>

Please see my post earlier in this topic in which I explain why SE's move has nothing to do with the performance/stability of hardware or software. We need to stop perpetuating that myth as a defense of SE.

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - EliBallard - 05-18-2017

The proper solution for an MMO company that has a server become "too large for their hardware" is to upgrade their hardware or take server power from smaller servers such as Jenova for use on their larger ones as needed, not screw the customers for their mistake. Just saying.

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Literal-Ghost - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 11:00 AM)EliBallard Wrote: The proper solution for an MMO company that has a server become "too large for their hardware" is to upgrade their hardware or take server power from smaller servers such as Jenova for use on their larger ones as needed, not screw the customers for their mistake. Just saying.

I'm not an expert on these kinds of things, but I don't think servers work like that.

Balmung's 'active' population is almost 1.5x the active population of Gilgamesh.

It's almost 6x bigger than Mateus' population.

This isn't accounting for people who frequently roll around in game to RP on low level alts or anyone else who is below level 36. Server's overcrowded and it's been no secret that it has been for quite some time.

It doesn't make practical sense to pander to a minority fringe (because as big as Balmung is, it's still, in the larger context of the collective playerbase, a minority. Our server is like 4% of the entire active base.) when there are perfectly good servers with tons of space right there.

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Kilieit - 05-18-2017

I think "perfectly good servers" kind of misses the fact that a lot of people play MMOs for the community. Yes, the game is accessible there, but if you just pick a random server based on low population then there is a good chance you won't be able to find any of your friends.

Yesterday, my dad was asking me why FFXIV hasn't started structuring its servers more like other MMO's yet, where players are dynamically assigned to shards (and can travel between them to play with friends) instead of being restricted to a single "server". I said I don't know if FFXIV will ever do that exactly, but that I do think they're laying the groundwork for something similar, what with the increase in data-centre-wide tools like (already released) party finder and (planned) friends list and free companies.

Maybe in the long run that'll start to make "what server you're on" less of an issue in terms of social interaction. But until then, I'll just say there's a reason things got this way, and it's not because people hate having houses.

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Literal-Ghost - 05-18-2017

I would love to see more cross-server features, and it does seem like things are heading in that direction.
But that's going to be a gradual change and for the time being, there's a new expansion coming out in a month and SquE is preparing for the influx of server traffic they'll have from that.
People are overreacting to a temporary lockdown, on a server everyone knows has had overpopulation issues, and they're acting entitled to be accommodated to when the needs of this particular server's playerbase aren't as important as they think they are.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(05-18-2017, 11:52 AM)Literal-Ghost Wrote:
(05-18-2017, 11:00 AM)EliBallard Wrote: The proper solution for an MMO company that has a server become "too large for their hardware" is to upgrade their hardware or take server power from smaller servers such as Jenova for use on their larger ones as needed, not screw the customers for their mistake. Just saying.

I'm not an expert on these kinds of things, but I don't think servers work like that.

Balmung's 'active' population is almost 1.5x the active population of Gilgamesh.

It's almost 6x bigger than Mateus' population.

This isn't accounting for people who frequently roll around in game to RP on low level alts or anyone else who is below level 36. Server's overcrowded and it's been no secret that it has been for quite some time.

It doesn't make practical sense to pander to a minority fringe (because as big as Balmung is, it's still, in the larger context of the collective playerbase, a minority. Our server is like 4% of the entire active base.) when there are perfectly good servers with tons of space right there.

Please see my post earlier in this topic in which I explain why SE's move has nothing to do with the performance/stability of hardware or software. We need to stop perpetuating that myth as a defense of SE.

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Kailani - 05-18-2017

I've been on Balmung since about November and have brought a few people to FFXIV with me. Unfortunately another one of those friends decided to take an extra month to decide she does want to play and bought the game last week. Was "going to transfer after maintenance" and now she's screwed.

I was going to wait for this poll in the other thread but putting off more time when she's wanting to max out before Stormblood seems like a waste, so I'm sending her and others who will probably join up with her to Mateus. Seems like some people from there are aggressively making an effort to create a communicative RP community and it's really all you can do at this point. I will probably transfer over an alt as well.

I really do feel for those who wanted to join friends on Balmung, but at this time I highly doubt SE is going to make any alterations to their initial post, regardless of how many people post on the OF with complaints.

For those who are new and upset, please don't let this ruin your FFXIV or Stormblood experience. It'll all settle down eventually and if the word gets out and those on the alternative RP server ALL pitch in, there's no reason it can't be just as vibrant as Balmung someday.

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - EliBallard - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 12:10 PM)Literal-Ghost Wrote: I would love to see more cross-server features, and it does seem like things are heading in that direction.
But that's going to be a gradual change and for the time being, there's a new expansion coming out in a month and SquE is preparing for the influx of server traffic they'll have from that.
People are overreacting to a temporary lockdown, on a server everyone knows has had overpopulation issues, and they're acting entitled to be accommodated to when the needs of this particular server's playerbase aren't as important as they think they are.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yet another person saying "get over it" while sitting comfortably on the server in question. Stop being so dismissive.

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Kilieit - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 12:10 PM)Literal-Ghost Wrote: they're acting entitled to be accommodated to

I think it's fair to expect to be able to have fun playing with friends in an MMO you pay for. I also think it's fair to expect the company running that MMO to prioritise making this possible.

The incentives for people to transfer off are going to be aimed at people whose anchoring to the overpopulated worlds is monetary and practical - not social. The people complaining here are complaining about the social exclusion brought about by the action.

This change was made with no warning - not even 3 days' worth, which would have allowed people (several of whom have posted in this very thread) who were very certain they wanted to be on Balmung, for social reasons, to ensure that they were.

Regardless of the back-end reasoning for the decision, the fact remains that it is going to feel unfair to some people, and leave others feeling bereft or just disappointed. I think they're allowed to express that - especially in the calm manner they generally have been in this thread.

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Sairen Lunaris - 05-18-2017

(05-17-2017, 03:58 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(05-17-2017, 03:56 AM)Cassandra Wrote: And this is why I sincerely doubt these restrictions last beyond a couple months after Stormblood launches. I think they reopened server transfers three months later when Heavensward dropped. Either way, I agree. Not offering a free transfer off high pop servers is just a money grab from Square Enix. Not to mention, if you've managed to snag a house. What reason would you even consider moving? They could have used the new housing distinct to try coaxing players over to other servers (for free) or even merged smaller ones.

I mean, there's a couple things that they could do.

They could re-implement the afk timer.  No one needs to be afk on the server for hours, days, or weeks at a time when there are other players who want to actually play the content.

They could address the issue of bots flooding the character creation the moment the restrictions are relaxed (causing them to immediately shut down once again).

They could officially designate Balmung as an RP server, which would probably encourage some PvE guilds to move elsewhere.

They could enable people to group with their friends, regardless of server, for things like dungeons and raids.

The bot and afk timer issues, though, would be most helpful, in my opinion.
I would have to agree with the afk timer thing. I find it crazy that people go to work or school and instead of logging out they decide to afk and just pointlessly stand around. In other games I have played, if you afk for a certain amount of time, the timer automatically boots you back to the character selection screen. And in my eyes that is something that FFXIV desperately needs, cause face it people do it because they are allowed to do it. I even seen people, who been afk, sitting in the same spot for an entire day. The bot issue definitely needs to be addressed more. Been seeing a helluva lot of characters with the names "wjnfignei" or something along those lines, stacking on each other or just running around the cities naked.

I really can't say much about PVE groups though because some of those groups, those I've seen, are PVE/RP groups.

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Arrelaine - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 01:08 PM)NeroFenrirV1 Wrote:
(05-17-2017, 03:58 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(05-17-2017, 03:56 AM)Cassandra Wrote: And this is why I sincerely doubt these restrictions last beyond a couple months after Stormblood launches. I think they reopened server transfers three months later when Heavensward dropped. Either way, I agree. Not offering a free transfer off high pop servers is just a money grab from Square Enix. Not to mention, if you've managed to snag a house. What reason would you even consider moving? They could have used the new housing distinct to try coaxing players over to other servers (for free) or even merged smaller ones.

I mean, there's a couple things that they could do.

They could re-implement the afk timer.  No one needs to be afk on the server for hours, days, or weeks at a time when there are other players who want to actually play the content.

They could address the issue of bots flooding the character creation the moment the restrictions are relaxed (causing them to immediately shut down once again).

They could officially designate Balmung as an RP server, which would probably encourage some PvE guilds to move elsewhere.

They could enable people to group with their friends, regardless of server, for things like dungeons and raids.

The bot and afk timer issues, though, would be most helpful, in my opinion.
I would have to agree with the afk timer thing. I find it crazy that people go to work or school and instead of logging out they decide to afk and just pointlessly stand around. In other games I have played, if you afk for a certain amount of time, the timer automatically boots you back to the character selection screen. And in my eyes that is something that FFXIV desperately needs, cause face it people do it because they are allowed to do it. I even seen people, who been afk, sitting in the same spot for an entire day. The bot issue definitely needs to be addressed more. Been seeing a helluva lot of characters with the names "wjnfignei" or something along those lines, stacking on each other or just running around the cities naked.

I really can't say much about PVE groups though because some of those groups, those I've seen, are PVE/RP groups.
They'll more than likely put this back into SB's launch, like they did with HW. They put it back in eventually, though I think they should keep it on permanently for over-populated servers.

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - forrest40pf - 05-18-2017

Yeah, I find it truly baffling that this game has no afk timer.  The amount of people I see Away on a constant basis is ridiculous.  What is the purpose of SE not implementing that?