Hydaelyn Role-Players
Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread (/showthread.php?tid=19397)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - ArmachiA - 05-19-2017

Drama follows anything. Don't even get me started on end game drama.

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Val - 05-19-2017

(05-19-2017, 03:17 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: Drama follows anything. Don't even get me started on end game drama.

End game drama, not to derail the thread, is one of the main reasons I quit end-game PvE in general. I did a lot of end game in WoW with one of the top PvE guilds on the server (Silver Hand ftw), and it was something different every week. Internal fighting. Loot rage. Officer drama. Multiple guilds fighting/sabotaging each other for the claim of "server first."

Smh.

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Parvacake - 05-19-2017

(05-19-2017, 02:52 PM)Val Wrote: It's possible, but that's been something that was talked about/wanted for well over a year. It's entirely possible that they may listen, but expecting them to I think is where people's fallacy lies.
^^^ This. Expecting them to do anything short of something they explicitly state they already plan to do usually just ends in disappointment. It also tends to make an argument look like it's coming from a petulant child rather than a rational adult.

If people wish to contend this, they need to also keep in mind where SE is coming from as well. This obviously wasn't something done to punish the players but was a necessity towards server congestion and preparing for an expansion launch in about a month.

Devs are more likely to listen when you're polite then if you're foaming at the mouth making threats or having impossible expectations.

(05-19-2017, 03:22 PM)Parvacake Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 02:52 PM)Val Wrote: It's possible, but that's been something that was talked about/wanted for well over a year. It's entirely possible that they may listen, but expecting them to I think is where people's fallacy lies.
It also tends to make an argument look like it's coming from a petulant child rather than a rational adult.

As a dev myself, I can attest to this. Things are more likely to happen when you come at someone with genuine concern and a well thought out argument. Keyboard raging only ends with people not taking you seriously, getting annoyed, or you misrepresenting the community you're coming from and giving people horrid stereotypical views.

And for all we know, they sincerely are doing their best. It may not be great or ideal, but it is what it is.

People have been very polite about it since 2010 though? I don't really recall people being rude to the devs, just venting frustrations on this forums which I'm sure the devs don't even read. Way back in the day, the devs got wind of us wanting an RP server and said they would think about it, but obviously went "Nah", and that's a very likely scenario this time.

Doesn't hurt to try though, just have other plans and treat them adding <RP> as a contingency.

(05-19-2017, 03:28 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: People have been very polite about it since 2010 though? I don't really recall people being rude to the devs, just venting frustrations on this forums which I'm sure the devs don't even read. Way back in the day, the devs got wind of us wanting an RP server and said they would think about it, but obviously went "Nah", and that's a very likely scenario this time.

Doesn't hurt to try though, just have other plans and treat them adding <RP> as a contingency.

Oh definitely, I don't mean in the past. People have been kind. But the people raging/lashing out right now? Not only to devs, but their own server people that are offering legitimate options and opinions? Definitely not helping as much as they think they are.

(05-19-2017, 03:30 PM)Val Wrote: Oh definitely, I don't mean in the past. People have been kind. But the people raging/lashing out right now? Not only to devs, but their own server people that are offering legitimate options and opinions? Definitely not helping as much as they think they are.

Yeah, it doesn't really make sense to turn on each other and rage against a non-existent machine. I keep tabs on Nero's thread and the amount of RPers turning on each other over this is startling.

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Kage - 05-19-2017

I don't know if people think I'm being rational, thick-headed, or ragey or not. I'm just trying to come at this with the best possible foot forward with realistic expectations.

While RP is and always has been secondary, what the community by and large decides will affect me. I am seeing, watching, and weighing in because while I have no real bias or desire towards any particular path (except I do think that consolidating -even more- on Balmung is the worst), I am interested in what will be the outcome and how it affects my friends, the communities they interact with, and myself.

Would it be more likely to see a designated-by-SE RP server? Will that mean by and large Balmung's RP community leaves? Will my friends by and large leave?

Balmung is locked and another community must now be the one to point to. Will people join there cause it's freer? How does this community do? What are pros and cons of everything being considered?

Will people decide on another unofficial server and move en-masse with the incentives?

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Nodem - 05-19-2017

(05-19-2017, 03:08 PM)ArmachiA Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 02:25 PM)Kage Wrote: A forced split of Balmung would be a horrible fucking outcome for players. I would love to make sure this is not a world we go to.
This isn't an unheard of scenario either, FFXI forced a split on it's biggest server when it got too congested. Players woke up one day on a completely different server than their

I see you've been having deja-vu crica 2008 as well. The entire time I've been speaking of this, I've been having flashbacks to this event. THIS CAN HAPPEN TO US. Reopening the gates to Balmung will 100% CAUSE THIS.

You'll notice a lot of this is sounding familiar too. As if it's happening now.

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Kage - 05-19-2017

(05-19-2017, 03:39 PM)Nodem Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 02:25 PM)Kage Wrote: A forced split of Balmung would be a horrible fucking outcome for players. I would love to make sure this is not a world we go to.
This isn't an unheard of scenario either, FFXI forced a split on it's biggest server when it got too congested. Players woke up one day on a completely different server than their

I see you've been having deja-vu crica 2008 as well. The entire time I've been speaking of this, I've been having flashbacks to this event. THIS CAN HAPPEN TO US. Reopening the gates to Balmung will 100% CAUSE THIS.

How did FFXI fare afterwards? Did it still do well for long periods of time? Barely a blip in the profits etc? Did it start the decline in the game?

(05-19-2017, 03:42 PM)Kage Wrote:

How did FFXI fare afterwards? Did it still do well for long periods of time? Barely a blip in the profits etc? Did it start the decline in the game?

Considering FFXI is still running, and still has subs, and has been running for 15 years now? I'd say pretty good.

(05-19-2017, 03:38 PM)Kage Wrote: Balmung is locked and another community must now be the one to point to. Will people join there cause it's freer? How does this community do? What are pros and cons of everything being considered?

This is why I say WE - the Balmung community - need to throw our weight into supporting one server. We can't be neutral on it. It sucks, but it's the only way to give the community on a different server any validity. If -we- on Balmung push a certain server is our sister server, then people will feel way more comfortable rolling there. That's how -we- can help a community grow, we don't even have to move, we just have to tell people "Yes, go there. We recommend it." instead of just shrugging our shoulders and going "I dunno there are like 5"

I'm not saying we need to make that decision right now, we should probably weigh the pros and cons of each server and their viability. But I think that's how we can help, at least.

(05-19-2017, 03:44 PM)Nodem Wrote:

Considering FFXI is still running, and still has subs, and has been running for 15 years now? I'd say pretty good.

As far as I'm aware FFXI is shutting down? Did I hear that wrong?

(05-19-2017, 03:45 PM)ArmachiA Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 03:44 PM)Nodem Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 03:08 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: This isn't an unheard of scenario either, FFXI forced a split on it's biggest server when it got too congested. Players woke up one day on a completely different server than their

As far as I'm aware FFXI is shutting down? Did I hear that wrong?

Celebrating it's 15th anniversary soon. http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/campaign/wcb/index.html?b=1705

RE: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Arrelaine - 05-19-2017

I think we should wait to make any hard decisions about another server until we see what servers will be free to transfer too. I think that's going to help immensely, though I'm still hedging bets on Mateus, as long as there's not an influx of people going there. Granted, it would have to be a lot of people, but.