Hydaelyn Role-Players
Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread (/showthread.php?tid=19397)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Nero - 05-17-2017

OF thread is here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/324942-Transfer-Restrictions-and-Roleplayers?p=4143635#post4143635

I tried to keep it to-the-point since the OF has an utterly bonkers 1000 character restriction on posting.

Re:Mateus

As Unnamed Mercenary said above, we have a fairly large host of plans to expand the RPC's ability to accommodate multiple communities on multiple servers. At the moment we're restricted by a painfully old website (2010 material!), but once the planned upgrades go through it should be much easier for roleplayers to find a community they like on a variety of servers.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Virella - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 12:13 PM)Nero Wrote: OF thread is here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/324942-Transfer-Restrictions-and-Roleplayers?p=4143635#post4143635

I tried to keep it to-the-point since the OF has an utterly bonkers 1000 character restriction on posting.

As Unnamed Mercenary said above, we have a fairly large host of plans to expand the RPC's ability to accommodate multiple communities on multiple servers. At the moment we're restricted by a painfully old website (2010 material!), but once the planned upgrades go through it should be much easier for roleplayers to find a community they like on a variety of servers.
You can get around it be editting your post I believe?

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - ExAtomos - 05-17-2017

But if the Mateus RP community is cannibalizing itself at the moment, why would people want to go there? Undecided How do you plan to deal with this?

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - EliBallard - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 12:17 PM)ExAtomos Wrote: But if the Mateus RP community is cannibalizing itself at the moment, why would people want to go there? Undecided How do you plan to deal with this?

The fact that there are enough RPers there for this to be a problem mean there's at least a foundation to build on.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Martiallais - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 12:13 PM)Nero Wrote: OF thread is here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/324942-Transfer-Restrictions-and-Roleplayers?p=4143635#post4143635

Probably could've done without the intro joke though. =/

Still, thank you for posting something up, Nero!

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - foxfirestorm - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 12:05 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(05-17-2017, 11:45 AM)foxfirestorm Wrote: Which I turn to now the Hydaelyn forums here and ask, how difficult would it be to add a Mateus board sections? A place to help traffic information and events away from the singular LS, so more LSes can form and as Kylin pointed out, more events can happen? Because, this is what we need more than ever right now... If I could get this corporation, we could probably then get the tree to really start growing and then have Balmung truly have a little sister.

If this continued growth is successful, this will probably take pressure off of Balmung and should, hopefully, one day allow her to reopen her gates. That also said, the new LSes and free companies would not need to adhere to the rules of the Mateus RPC, make their own rules, and we can then drop the linkshell post for the RPC and allow the community to grow in its different branches.

This is something I'd love to see more than ever and right now, is the best time for this. I want to see that growth, the changing winds, and new communities spring up with their own ideals. RPC on Mateus did its job-- now I ask for the aid of big sister, my former beloved home, to help grow that out even more.

PM me about this. I'm not really able to type a whole lot currently because I'm off on a family visit, but when I can get back to my apartment, we can hash out some details. ...I also don't have the admin credentials to make any changes while away. We keep those locked down.

I will say there had previously been separate event/directory boards for Gilgamesh back in the day. They were later merged in to consolidate boards which was supposed to reduce the number of clicks users needed to get to content. I know a lot of people will say "but there's so much Balmung my post will be lost" but at the same time, not posting it at all is worse.  I can get a Mateus tag added in once I'm back and as part of our planned forum upgrades (see announcements board) there will be better tagging/searching/filtering.

The biggest thing I can recommend for people to do now is to advertise their servers and make them feel welcoming to incoming people! Having RPC tell people where to go will basically be like sending a box of wallflowers. OR their interest will dwindle. It is -really- hard to build up an additional place. This is a [forced by SE] perfect opportunity for growth.

I will get in touch with you, asap regarding this. I also updated the RPC Of Mateus on the current situation. There is some folks seeming glad to hear this and I'll keep them up to date.

Understandable!
I just know right now I can't turn my back on this and I'm glad I got the framework going before this has taken place.

I know the current LS (the last I looked before I went on vacation), we had around 90-95 members that are non-alt. We have around 20-25 characters that are in the alt linkshell.

This is not counting the folks who did leave to try and carve their own path or those looking for the RPC on Mateus, unaware of how to contact or who.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Ellmida - 05-17-2017

I sort of feel this was a long time coming, it's not unexpected. One of the reasons I moved 8 placeholder alts over to Balmung is because I suspected SE would probably be doing this at one point, it's surprising that the announcement was so sudden but I kind f think they were trying to avoid a lot of last minute rush transfers. While high population is good for RP i feel it's reached a critical mass where it's starting to hurt gameplay. Housing is not so much as a long shot as it is a lottery and while the new move may help with loading issues piling on more transfers to an overpopulated server could exhaust the capabilities of what it can support. The bonus is I don't have to witness a general f#$*ton of bots every time the server restarts.

I also think that the overemphasis on Balmung has caused smaller communities such as Faerie, Mates and Jenova to be passed over to  everyone's​ loss.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Nero - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 12:21 PM)Martiallais Wrote:

Probably could've done without the intro joke though. =/

Still, thank you for posting something up, Nero!

I blame my English professor who subconsciously implanted the idea of "persuasion is helped by acknowledging self-deprecation" in everything I write.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - foxfirestorm - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 12:17 PM)ExAtomos Wrote: But if the Mateus RP community is cannibalizing itself at the moment, why would people want to go there? Undecided How do you plan to deal with this?

See post regarding folks not connected to the RPC and also those outside the trouble circle. Also they are not really cannibalizing one another, not-- sure why you got that idea or feeling.

There is just growing pains and honestly the chain on the LS, while created when we are smaller, are now not healthy for it, which is why I want to see it expand outside of the original settlement.

Think of it like when we first came to America or any country came to another region. They had a small settlement, eventually this settlement became large enough that for its own health, it HAD to spread out. The Mateus RPC is now at the stage where it needs to spread out and new settlers can come in and place their claims on the land.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Kage - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 12:13 PM)Nero Wrote: I tried to keep it to-the-point since the OF has an utterly bonkers 1000 character restriction on posting.

Type more and edit in your additional words. Edit bypasses the character limit.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Momoka - 05-17-2017

I actually have some alts on mateus that I HAD planned to move to balmung, I might actually keep them on Mateus and see what I can find.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Helmheid - 05-17-2017

So until 20th June you can still transfer onto high pops? A few friends of mine may want onto Balmung, if it's still a possibility, but I wouldn't make them buy the game only to find out transfers are closed.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Redariesye - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 01:34 PM)Helmheid Wrote: So until 20th June you can still transfer onto high pops? A few friends of mine may want onto Balmung, if it's still a possibility, but I wouldn't make them buy the game only to find out transfers are closed.
As someone who just checked it, no they don't even list the servers on the service right now.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Helmheid - 05-17-2017

It's a bit misleading, since the article says it'll be locked on 20th, but says nothing about it being locked right now.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Kilieit - 05-17-2017

No, the article says it is locked now. I can forgive people being confused, because it took me two or three read-throughs to comprehend this, but I'll try to explain.

Here I will use two separate concepts: character login (accessing the game on a given server through a character that's already on that server), and character addition (placing a new character onto that server by way of transfer or character creation).

The timeline is essentially:

• On the 20th June, they will be adding new EU servers, with bonuses to incentivise people adding characters to them (by transfer or creation).

• On the 20th June, they will be restricting login for high pop servers, i.e. throttling the number of people able to log in to the World at once. This is nothing to do with addition of new characters to the server (by transfer or creation).

• Because they want to reduce the number of players affected by this login restriction, by increasing the proportion of players who are on servers not affected by the login restriction...

• ... AS OF RIGHT NOW, as a preventative measure for login congestion on the 20th, they have begun preventing ANY new characters from being added to the server BY ANY METHOD (either transfer or creation). You will note the sections regarding transfer and creation are written in the past tense.

• FURTHERMORE, they are adding some incentives for people to transfer away (i.e. raised gil cap).

• This is a measure intended to ensure that between now and 20th June, the population on the overpopulated servers can ONLY GO DOWN.