Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] An EU server, for EU roleplayers *UPDATED 14/06* - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] An EU server, for EU roleplayers *UPDATED 14/06* (/showthread.php?tid=19399)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

An EU server, for EU roleplayers *UPDATED 14/06* - Swanmay - 05-17-2017

**The New server for the EU data centre has been named; it is Omega! Details will come 15/06**

With the lockdown of Balmung due to an extremely high population, I figured now would be a good time to open a discussion about the migration of EU players to an EU server.

This lockdown comes at an arguably fortuitous time as players are all but ready for Stormblood to go live in June, meaning the vast majority are all in that downtime phase where we might be farming for gear, levelling crafters, or levelling alts. Thans to this, I believe we can dedicate more time to the discussion of such topics.

Now, before people jump to conclusions I would like to preface this with my own thoughts on the matter.

As it stands, Balmung is by far the largest and most well known RP community. Everyone who is everyone is on Balmung, most everyone I follow on Tumblr is on Balmung, and my EU friends also play on Balmung. Why wouldn't you want to be on Balmung? Well, there are a plethora of reasons. Housing is scarce, marketboard prices are very high, ping is high now that servers have physically moved to California etc etc. Unfortunately, now people don't have a choice in the matter. They have to choose another server whether they like it or not until "the population stabilises", which leads me to believe that Square Enix want it to somewhat even out across the servers.

This brings us to the potential migration of EU roleplayers to an EU server on the Chaos data centre. Not only would it provide a new hub of roleplay -an EU sister to Balmung, if you will- it could potentially aid in lifting the lock that is currently in place on Balmung. But why would you want to move? Why should you? 
Well here are a few reasons you might consider;

-Housing is available, for you, and for your FC.
Perhaps you have dreamed of having an FC mansion to serve as an RP hub for you and your friends? Perhaps you wish to open a Tavern and create a venue to be enjoyed by all? Perhaps you even want a lair for your villainous character to do all their shady dealings? Now you have that oppotunity.

-Lower ping.

-Less timezone problems.

No longer will you have to stay up until 3am because your contact in Pennsylvania couldn't log on until later. You friends and contacts may only be an hour or two ahead/behind you. Far easier to coordinate than 5-8 hour time differences.

-Attend ALL the server events!

We have EU-friendly events now, but imagine being able to attend all the ones you could? Not having to stay up late because of time zone differences, no more missing events because it starts at Midnight and you have work the next day.

-Added incentives.
Quote:Increase to Gil Limit for World Transfers
To better accommodate players moving from high population Worlds to low population Worlds, the amount of gil that can be transferred with characters and retainers has been increased as follows (Please note this also applies when transferring to high population Worlds):
Players

Before

After

1,000,000 gil

10,000,000 gil

Retainers

Before

After

100,000 gil each

5,000,000 gil each

If players are able to transfer characters without problems after these changes, we will consider removing the gil limit on character transfers.

Quote:Addition of EU Data Center Worlds and Improvements to Population Distribution
All Worlds on the EU data center are presently experiencing high levels of player congestion. To resolve this issue, new Worlds will be added at the release of 4.0.
Moreover, players who to transfer to or create new characters on designated Worlds across all data centers will receive special bonuses as described below.
* Pleased be advised the bonuses planned for implementation are subject to change.
Bonuses
  • Transfers to designated Worlds will be free of charge.
  • EXP bonuses will be applied to designated Worlds (up to level 60).
  • Gil and free play time will be awarded to newly created characters that reach a certain level on designated Worlds.
  • EXP bonuses will be applied to newly established Worlds (up to level 60).
  • Gil and free play time will be awarded to newly created characters that reach a certain level on newly established Worlds.
For players who own personal housing, we are planning a number of provisions including a reimbursement for the full price of the estate, and compensation for the cost of furnishings which we will add in subsequent updates moving forward. We also plan to accommodate free companies members that plan to move together with or without a free company estate.

We thank you for your patience and understanding as we strive to create an enjoyable playing environment for players on all Worlds.

The latter statement is likely regarding EU to EU transfers, but is worded ambiguously so I figured I may as well post it for good measure. It is worth noting though that the exact same post is on both the NA and EU Lodestone.

This is really all I have to say on the matter. Though I am also going to state that should a community migrate, and my friends and I with them (since they are EU too), I would happily transfer my main to the server of our choosing.

EDIT: In the interests of keeping the EU community whole, I would like to caution against transferring immeditealy to an EU server. It is clear at this point that a new server that is to be added with 4.0 will be the winner in the poll (which I cannot edit because I'm silly and didn't set an end date). Therefore, with respect to that, I will make a new poll when the information about the new servers, in particular the names of the servers, and we can decide as a community from there.

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Maril - 05-17-2017

I have no opinion on this just yet, however I figured I would chip in and say that I have been able to confirm that there is a small RP community already on Lich. Among other things they are designing a housing ward for RP (mist ward 9.) 
What I would perhaps encourage people to do is to create alts on various servers and generate some RP, or participate in what is already there. You can create clones of your existing characters. See where that gets you.

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Oyuu - 05-17-2017

If Lich already has a start on things, why not Lich? I'd probably wouldn't move off Balmung because I have a lot invested there, but depending on whether we could actually build a decent EU community I'd happily throw my alt onto the 'chosen' server.

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - matchstixs - 05-17-2017

I actually resurrected my old RPC acc that I've not used since launch to post about this here, but seems I've been beaten to it xD

Imo, with the free xfers to the new server in 4.0, it's a perfect time to consolidate a proper EU server and our own community. Even if it's just alts for those who can't/don't want to move from Balmung (understandably so), it'd be really, really nice to establish a place of our own with available housing and such likes.

The issue is atm that the EU RPers not on Balmung are very spread out. At one point there was a fairly large linkshell on Cerb and iirc there's a small community on Shiva (they may be German, though); this new server is a very rare and ideal opportunity to gather all in the same place - it's free, so why not? With the increased gil cap and new housing zone, inc wards and apartments, getting back housing shouldn't be all that hard. If anything, it may be easier to upgrade as the economy establishes itself.

Just my 2c anyway, but I do believe it's too good of an opportunity to pass up ;_;

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Arty - 05-17-2017

I am for this idea. If we're moving the community, I vote one of the new empty servers. New opportunities, a clean slate, a fresh start.

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Anehki - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 09:42 AM)Lulula Lulu Wrote: I am for this idea. If we're moving the community, I vote one of the new empty servers. New opportunities, a clean slate, a fresh start.

I'd suggest this also, since there will be bonuses guaranteed for the new servers. My lot from Cerberus will be moving over there if this actually becomes a thing! Exciting!

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - matchstixs - 05-17-2017

As a footnote to what I posted before and to Anehki's post; my friends and I would also do the same!

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Flynn Rosenberg - 05-17-2017

Yep, new server here. Hell, I hope SE surprise us and say "btw we're tagging a new server as Roleplaying", save all the damn trouble.

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Kailani - 05-17-2017

What happens to all the NA players who are currently in a FC that is run by a EU player if that leader decides to move?

Just asking out of pure curiosity since I know there are some pretty active guilds that have both EU and NA players in them.

(05-17-2017, 10:10 AM)Kai â™  Wrote: What happens to all the NA players who are currently in a FC that is run by a EU player if that leader decides to move?

Just asking out of pure curiosity since I know there are some pretty active guilds that have both EU and NA players in them.

Probably disband if the leader decides to cash in to successfully move the community over, however I doubt they'd personally choose to do that if some of you remain, instead would likely pass lead. I guess it's really something you have to debate amongst yourselves within the FC.

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Kilieit - 05-17-2017

Unfortunately, I'm too entrenched (over 1mil's worth of private chambers purchased and more on the way - I just don't have that kind of gil to throw around, especially if I'd be wanting a house) and I mostly keep a USA schedule anyway (despite living in the UK). Furthermore, I already have 10 alts to try and shepherd - they used to be split across Aether and Primal, but I recently transferred my Primal alts to Midgardsomr (on Aether) because I kept forgetting they existed what with having to change data centres to view them... Lastly, I'm kind of allergic to small communities/servers. I played in one for almost 10 years and it ended horribly for me - something in my personal life which shouldn't have been an issue quickly became a matter over which I could expect to be namecalled even by strangers, and by people who had been my friends since I was a kid. Unless the new community manages to reach Balmung-like proportions, I probably won't be comfortable there.

So, despite being an EU RPer, I probably won't be joining you. I wanted to share my reasoning... mostly so you could see it's largely personal, and nothing that's being done wrong by yous!

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Oyuu - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 10:10 AM)Kai â™  Wrote: What happens to all the NA players who are currently in a FC that is run by a EU player if that leader decides to move?

As an EU FC Leader who's FC is full of NA folk, I ain't gonna leave. Being an FC leader means a lot of my own RP and gameplay is invested in the little group I have here on Balmung. Only in the extreme case of the game becoming unplayable because of ping would I consider fully moving my ass over to an EU server (I'd probably suffer a long time before doing so). 

And then? I would discuss with my FC the future of our group, see if anyone wants to take over or perhaps merge with another. I don't see how it's much different if I just wanted to step down for a different reason.

@Kilieit

You do supposedly get reimbursed for things like small house and stuff, they also mentioned furniture too. Thing is what people need to also remember here, nobodies asking anyone to all move over, this is just an opportunity for those who finally can get an EU community with a datacentre close to their actual country of residence.

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Kilieit - 05-17-2017

I don't have a house, that's the issue. I have multiple private chambers in a free company estate.

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Natsuki - 05-17-2017

Can confirm, Lich has the best small server RP community I've ever had the chance to experience, which is amazing considering how small it is even by EU server standards. My small RP FC lives there and just got a house in Mist Ward 9.