Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] An EU server, for EU roleplayers *UPDATED 14/06* - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] An EU server, for EU roleplayers *UPDATED 14/06* (/showthread.php?tid=19399)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Sig - 05-19-2017

I strongly encourage all EU roleplayers to stay on Balmung.  The greatest threat to the long-term health of the RP community in FFXIV is gradual fragmentation, dwindling population numbers, and a slow decline that eventually kills the community.  We have seen this threat play out on a small scale countless times before when players attempt to create "alternative RP servers." The idea that RP could flourish on any server is nice, but it is simply not realistic and wastes the time of all parties involved in the effort.

Finding RP should not be a game that is won or lost depending on what sever you play on.  Roleplayers depends on large, vibrant, and diverse communities, and we should not allow artificial restrictions (like server choice) to limit our pool of potential RP partners and themes.

There is strength in numbers, and the one sustainable RP community that amounts to something more than a small 20-50 person clique (i.e. - Balmung) would be a much sadder place without our EU friends.

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Kilieit - 05-19-2017

Yet again, the context of this discussion was that of Balmung becoming closed. I don't think it's a bad thing if people are willing to move away from Balmung to try and create a healthy community, that's open to new people, elsewhere.

I also don't think it's a bad thing if people decide they have too many eggs in the Balmung basket to want to leave, and decide to stay - like me. But we can still support the efforts of others to do something different. Those efforts have the chance of a very good payoff indeed (a second stable community), and IMO aren't actually at any serious risk of hurting "us". I think acting like they are is not helpful.

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Skae - 05-19-2017

(05-19-2017, 12:28 AM)Sig Wrote: I strongly encourage all EU roleplayers to stay on Balmung.  The greatest threat to the long-term health of the RP community in FFXIV is gradual fragmentation, dwindling population numbers, and a slow decline that eventually kills the community.  We have seen this threat play out on a small scale countless times before when players attempt to create "alternative RP servers." The idea that RP could flourish on any server is nice, but it is simply not realistic and wastes the time of all parties involved in the effort.

Many other MMOs have more than one RP server - each with an active community.
The idea that FFXIV - one of the more popular MMOs right now - could not support more than one RP server is simply not realistic.

Right now few of the events or Free Companies on Balmung are suitable for EU-players anyway - so even if all the EU players moved off to another server (which isn't going to happen) it would not impact the NA players all that much.

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Nebbs - 05-19-2017

(05-19-2017, 03:37 AM)Skae Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 12:28 AM)Sig Wrote: I strongly encourage all EU roleplayers to stay on Balmung.  The greatest threat to the long-term health of the RP community in FFXIV is gradual fragmentation, dwindling population numbers, and a slow decline that eventually kills the community.  We have seen this threat play out on a small scale countless times before when players attempt to create "alternative RP servers."  The idea that RP could flourish on any server is nice, but it is simply not realistic and wastes the time of all parties involved in the effort.

Many other MMOs have more than one RP server - each with an active community.
The idea that FFXIV - one of the more popular MMOs right now - could not support more than one RP server is simply not realistic.

Right now few of the events or Free Companies on Balmung are suitable for EU-players anyway - so even if all the EU players moved off to another server (which isn't going to happen) it would not impact the NA players all that much.

I would also add that as more players join FFXIV then the possibility of an alternative to Balmung becomes more real, as for them Balmung is not an option. In fact if the block remains Balmung can only reduce in numbers.

So I feel it would be best to support the alternative, and by making this about the EU it has a better chance of reaching a workable RP size focused on the EU timezone. Additionally it would come with benefits like housing, which is not available on Balmung.

Though I will say I am not going to jump unless there is a clear solidarity around a server, and would likely create an alt to see how it goes then move as/if it takes off.

I also don't think this would harm Balmung, as there is sufficient number in the NA zone to more than sustain it. 

If I had two wishes for my play it would be:
  • More EU RP (I have been actively focused on EU RP times and not NA)
  • Housing to be fixed (just broken and wrong atm)

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Arty - 05-19-2017

Right now, the RP community can't accept new people as the server is closed shut. I've always hated that most events on the server are NA centric and whenever a EU centric event was being made, NA people whined that they can't attend it that it should be moved to their time, and people budged for some reason. I guess mainly so they don't offend NA players?

This is one more reason why I'm all for a EU RP server.

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Impstatus - 05-19-2017

(05-18-2017, 09:05 AM)Anehki Wrote: Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in making a EU FF Roleplayers discord for those interested in the Unofficial EU RP server possibility? Maybe that will help us all keep communication going and help us all stay on the same page.
Seeing that "new 4.0 world" is the most popular vote, the time for making Discord to congregate, plan and prepare this huge attempt is now or never. To be clear, I'm not against any of this, just pointing that out. Balmung is not going to fall if EU datacenter actually successfully made it's own "unoffical RP server" happen. I mainly rp with few good friends, because a) not on Balmung, so catching event is not that simple b) even if there was events on Leviathan I think I could join my voice with those who fairly point out that NA RPC caters ideally to NA players. Which is right, but as with raiding I think I rather sleep when it's 4am for me, than catch static raid, or rp event x)

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Y'idya - 05-19-2017

(05-19-2017, 04:57 AM)Lulula Lulu Wrote: Right now, the RP community can't accept new people as the server is closed shut. I've always hated that most events on the server are NA centric and whenever a EU centric event was being made, NA people whined that they can't attend it that it should be moved to their time, and people budged for some reason. I guess mainly so they don't offend NA players?

This is one more reason why I'm all for a EU RP server.
Yeah this is my biggest gripe with event hosters. Especially when they have two event nights, one for NA and one for EU... yet they still start it at almost midnight for us. Most "EU Friendly" things start at 11pm onwards and that's UK time so it's even later for the rest of Europe, which just isn't viable if you have to wake up early for work. 

That said, I think the biggest problem an EU server would have is the lack of random walkups. I can see nearly all the RP taking place in private housing and the best thing about Balmung's housing situation is that it forces people to find alternate RP spots.

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Flynn Rosenberg - 05-19-2017

Will be honest, if the RP hubs were all at housing areas, I wouldn't transfer. We have a big open world with plenty of hubs to use. I want to RP in that world, meet people in locations you'd expect to.

Please don't make housing the only place to find RP.

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Marissa Minoru - 05-19-2017

As an EU person who's main (raid) character is on Lich, I'll be keeping my RP character on Balmung, but I would be more than happy to help establish or join in a community on Lich with my main character, or creating an alt on one of the new servers if people were to choose that. I just couldn't move Marissa from Balmung because of my connections. Not sure how often I would play with an alt though, especially with the release of Stormblood I will probably be completing that story on my main first before I go back to Balmung anyway since Marissa is only around level 30 ^^

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Anehki - 05-19-2017

(05-19-2017, 05:57 AM)Flynn Rosenberg Wrote: Will be honest, if the RP hubs were all at housing areas, I wouldn't transfer. We have a big open world with plenty of hubs to use. I want to RP in that world, meet people in locations you'd expect to.

Please don't make housing the only place to find RP.

When Cerberus was really active mid HW, we used to encourage people to RP in the citie's when the inn we hosted in a large house wasn't always open, and if people got too comfortable we'd host the inn somewhere like Costa for a fun event, and to raise awareness.

Nothing is stopping us from doing the likes of that with the new server we choose, I'd be happy to help host events with others as well.

Edit: For those interested in making the new server and planning here is a link to the discord so we can get started in talks and getting to know each other Smile https://discord.gg/mW3j4FE

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Virella - 05-19-2017

(05-19-2017, 07:16 AM)Anehki Wrote: When Cerberus was really active mid HW, we used to encourage people to RP in the citie's when the inn we hosted in a large house wasn't always open, and if people got too comfortable we'd host the inn somewhere like Costa for a fun event, and to raise awareness.
Been on Cerberus myself, can vouch it was there, however it was slice of life themed roleplay with a handful of people. Not my piece of cake, at all. There's a reason why I made an alt on Balmung at the time and didn't bother to RP there. Unless the server community attitude changed, I won't tell people to go there. I really felt awkward roleplaying there. Like. Really. Besides, its locked often as well what I've been told by my old friends there.

So no, I can't vouch for that server. I had a very fun time there as a raider, but if I was forced to go there for roleplay? I'd just given up on RP on FFXIV all together.

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Sig - 05-19-2017

I challenge anyone who supports the effort to create an alternative RP server to explain how this initiative will be different than the numerous other failed attempts to create alternative RP servers.  All prior attempts to create anything greater than a 20-50 person RP clique on another server have failed due to disorganization, conflicting player interests, and the lack of a player base large enough to sustain RP.  This time will be no different. 

Some posters express concern about the lack of EU events; however, it is very likely that there will be even /less/ events to attend if EU players break off from the general population and form their own community.  There will also be less potential RP partners and types of RP.  You will not have a sufficient player base to sustain a vibrant, diverse, and healthy RP community in the long-term.

It is one thing for a few new RPers who physically can't access Balmung at the present time to select a server to play on until Balmung is open for transfer, it's another thing to repeat the failed efforts of the past and divide a vibrant RP community.

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Skae - 05-19-2017

(05-19-2017, 09:07 AM)Sig Wrote: I challenge anyone who supports the effort to create an alternative RP server to explain how this initiative will be different than the numerous other failed attempts to create alternative RP servers.  All prior attempts to create anything greater than a 20-50 person RP clique on another server have failed due to disorganization, conflicting player interests, and the lack of a player base large enough to sustain RP.  This time will be no different. 

Main difference would be that it is impossible to get onto Balmung right now and for an indeterminate future.
Therefore any new people will HAVE to go elsewhere. This combined with the promised incentives for moving to the coming new servers should result in a good chance of getting enough players to be viable.

No guarantees that it will work, of course, but probably a better chance than it would have at any other time.

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Kylin - 05-19-2017

I would personally prefer to see EU RPers stick with everyone else in the grand scheme of things. That said, I'm not EU and have absolutely zero right to add input on that. I don't know how their gameplay experience is and thus have no right to comment on it. However, there's just one thing I want to comment on because I've seen it crop up more than once now (and I don't mean to call you out specifically, Sig... just an in general rebuttal of the overall view from the many I see mention this).

(05-19-2017, 09:07 AM)Sig Wrote: I challenge anyone who supports the effort to create an alternative RP server to explain how this initiative will be different than the numerous other failed attempts to create alternative RP servers.  All prior attempts to create anything greater than a 20-50 person RP clique on another server have failed due to disorganization, conflicting player interests, and the lack of a player base large enough to sustain RP.  This time will be no different. 

I keep seeing people mention "numerous attempts." As someone who's been around forever, there's only been ONE singular organized attempt--Gilgamesh. All of the other 'attempts' can't really be counted in my opinion. They were, after all, nothing more than some random RPer holding up a sign and saying "come to my server! I have a linkshell that RPs!" I personally don't view those as legitimate organized attempts of unifying for a secondary RP server... I applaud those people for trying to birth RP elsewhere, but to call it an organized attempt is definitely misleading.

As for the 'Gilgamesh Initiative,' it didn't really fail. In fact, it initially succeeded in spades. It tapered off over time for the following reasons:
1. Combative relationship with Balmung and the RPC. From the beginning of the whole legacy vs non-legacy debacle (which was proven to be an invalid concern), things were tense between Gilgamesh and Balmung. That doesn't help with maintaining a positive image.
2. Cutoff of relations. Gilgamesh, after securing the 'support' of the RPC and Balmung decided to largely cut themselves off and build a wall around them. Their visibility dropped more and more over time and they increasingly became invisible. That's not healthy for growth at all.
3. Griefing. Gilgamesh also had to deal with the Reddit/Raiding crowd who flocked to the server, and that didn't make things easy for them. It was the final nail in the coffin that drove most RPers out of the open world and into their private housing, thus making them even more invisible.

None of the above conditions exist for the new initiatives taking place. That said, I don't know if it's a good idea to have TWO splits that appear to be taking place (EU and NA). But that's really not my call to make and it's entirely on the EU crowd to determine how their play experience will be enhanced.

RE: An EU server, for EU roleplayers - Arty - 05-19-2017

Some posters express concern about the lack of EU events; however, it is very likely that there will be even /less/ events to attend if EU players break off from the general population and form their own community.  There will also be less potential RP partners and types of RP.  You will not have a sufficient player base to sustain a vibrant, diverse, and healthy RP community in the long-term.

It is one thing for a few new RPers who physically can't access Balmung at the present time to select a server to play on until Balmung is open for transfer, it's another thing to repeat the failed efforts of the past and divide a vibrant RP community.
You are a NA player and can do both RP and PvE easily. EU players can't do both due to one little thing called LATENCY. I personally refuse to pay a monthly sub just for RP as I can't do anything other than that after the server move. EU server should be established.

And that is the difference between any former attempt and this one. We are forced to do this by a little fact that we can't play the game like we used to.