Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub (/showthread.php?tid=19478)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - IvikBlack - 05-21-2017

It doesn't matter how significant the issues with Balmung are, in part because their extent is unknowable and unquantifiable. I think the situation here is very simple: every server has a culture and the culture will not necessarily fit well with every individual RPer.

The benefit of having multiple server communities is that there are more cultures for players to explore in order to find one that fits them.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Momo - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 04:41 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: Pointing out flaws of Balmung is not "bashing the server" wow. Acknowledging the faults of the server is making sure you stay realistic with the server.

I myself have a lot of stories of cliques, stalkers, erp hounds. I'm not a lurker, I've been here since 1.0. Are you going to tell me my experiences are invalid?

(05-21-2017, 04:44 PM)Val Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 04:41 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: Pointing out flaws of Balmung is not "bashing the server" wow. Acknowledging the faults of the server is making sure you stay realistic with the server.

I myself have a lot of stories of cliques, stalkers, erp hounds. I'm not a lurker, I've been here since 1.0. Are you going to tell me my experiences are invalid?

^^^^^

The fact of the matter is, on top of other issues, Balmung/the game itself is not designed to have as many people on the server as it does. Community split aside, it's causing issues outside of RP that need to be taken into consideration as well.

It isn't this, it is rather that most of us acknowledged that any RP group, large or small, will attract a certain type of negativity, and it is best to work on the actual problems and drawbacks of the server. Have I experienced these things? To a degree yes, but like the two of you, I have been on the server since it began and have seen a huge increase in population to the point that if this happened to 5/100 people, then yes it happens, but there are hundreds of people, so this is hardly a norm that wouldn't be shared per capita on another RP group of this size. Unlike the two of you, I also avoid groups that have overly much drama, so my exposure to these types of interactions is also lessened.

Some of Balmung's actual problems as a unique RP community and not the tired and very vague/ general problems mentioned above?

~For all the "variety" you can really boil the overall ideas down to a few, so there is still room for growth, but larger groups don't support change as well as smaller ones would

~Another large group problem, is the fact that those who lead those groups, and others who wish to start them, often take up more and more players to the point that the above changes or new ideas, are no longer a norm as all players must begin to work inside of the restrictions of a plot or type of RP that each of the major groups supports

~Event makers and planners ask for bigger and bigger crowds to the point that RPing for people unused to, or who don't wish to interact in bigger crowds, becomes increasingly difficult, lessening chances of unique and growing RP experiences

and the list goes on...these are the issues which should be brought up and considered when thinking between Balmung and another server, because as time goes on, those other issues will happen anywhere as established as Balmung is, and you will find the experience not as unique as you once hoped in your moments of rage, disappointment, and whiteknighting.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Mercer - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 04:57 PM)Virella Wrote: I'm all for another roleplay community, however I'm still going to stress on the fact people need to be given a choice which one they prefer. At this current point and time, they do not. That needs to be addressed, provided this lock last for months on end. It might not though! Hopefully.

Might I suggest this?

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=19405

There was a discussion earlier in the week on how people feel on the different servers. There is a second thread and a tumblr post as well where people are talking and voting on the alternate servers they prefer. If you have more information on the benefit of the servers or want to ask for more information please do!

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - ArmachiA - 05-21-2017

There are people who find Balmung disappointing as well. We can't pretend it's some RP Utopia and expect people to not be disappointed when they get on the server. Better to be realistic so people set their expectations a little lower. I can list a lot of merits about Balmung - I obviously like the server I've been here since it was called Besaid - but I think it's misleading to tell new rpers that yes Balmung is the place to go and will have everything you are looking for in RP. It's simply not true.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Nebbs - 05-21-2017

Too long to read all the posts on what seems a half thought through proposal.

1. Physics and Latency - have one RP server per area, that would make sense.

2. Choice and diversity, thinking you (Balmung) are special and unique, then using that as a reason folks should come to you is a sign it is over

I am wondering if there is some fear Balmung will dilute as folks leave, but my view is that there is more than enough to support the NA population. The EU is likely the group who will leave, and that will have zero impact on NA numbers.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Strigiforme - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 05:00 PM)Momo Wrote: and the list goes on...these are the issues which should be brought up and considered when thinking between Balmung and another server, because as time goes on, those other issues will happen anywhere as established as Balmung is, and you will find the experience not as unique as you once hoped in your moments of rage, disappointment, and whiteknighting.

I entirely agree with the additional issues you listed as being valid problems the server faces. I'm surprised that you describe other people's issues and reactions so derisively because in fact, the things that you listed are actually very directly related to people's experiences feeling isolated, unable to integrate, etc. Large events and little variety of concepts make it very difficult to meet people whose RP fits with yours, thus leading to feelings of invisibility. Hopefully you consider that you might have more in common than you realize.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - ArmachiA - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 05:10 PM)Nebbs Wrote: I am wondering if there is some fear Balmung will dilute as folks leave, but my view is that there is more than enough to support the NA population. The EU is likely the group who will leave, and that will have zero impact on NA numbers.

If Balmung remains locked longer than a month or two, Balmung will start to die off, so I understand the concern but it isn't going to happen anytime soon. I'm even concerned about Balmung future (from an player standpoint and from a server stability standpoint) but we need to put that aside right now and help the new folk. We can kick and scream into the aether all day, Balmung ain't opening and there are people who feel stuck because they wanted a home there and have no other option to run to.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Momo - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 04:48 PM)Strigiforme Wrote:
Quote:I find it interesting that those who don't put the effort to try and connect, or don't make themselves known to the point that others can't help them, are here to kick Balmung now that is "down". Alienating Balmung RPers with these one-off instances of anger and personal grievances, isn't doing anyone a favor. To pretend that this is the norm for Balmung is wholly untrue, and to pretend that the time for Balmung RP has somehow passed because some experiences turned people off to it, but in no way make up the way things actually are in reality, is just taking personal attacks and using them to amplify your voices, and it won't go over well.

Balmung is still a great RP server, and there is no reason that both RP servers can't exist peacefully together as a community, as they will always be connected, and when they aren't, it doesn't end well.

I've been around Balmung for several years now across many characters, in many capacities, across many guilds - including ones I've run, myself. Please don't do this.

I have nothing in reply to this, if the advice doesn't fit you that is fine, but the server is filled with opportunity if you take the time to look and don't fall back on your real-world insecurities and willful lack of effort.

(05-21-2017, 04:49 PM)IvikBlack Wrote: I find it disturbing that someone saying "Hey Balmung hasn't worked well for me, I don't think I fit in here" is immediately met with stern accusations of "and that is all your fault because you didn't try hard enough."

That isn't always the case, I am just saying that is one of the more common reasons we see on RPC of all places. The world is filled with experiences and groups to explore, connecting to that and navigating it takes time and is a learning experience, but is by no means hard to find with some digging in a research. I agree I wasn't clear, I apologize about that.

(05-21-2017, 04:58 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: Except I can probably guarantee most people here have had an experience like that. I'd put money on it because I actually communicate with these people - here, on the game, and on Tumblr. Go to the Void and you'll see people constantly talking about all of these things and their experiences.

Does this mean Balmung is a bad server? Of course not. But don't invalidate these things just because it's an uncomfortable reality.

When you have that many people on one server, you bring the bad with the good.

The Void as a positive point...right, and Tumblr with its many legs to stand on as each RPC member follows the other RPC members, and ends up getting stuck in much the same circles and loops as most despise about the RPC and the main reasons it is called toxic. I interact with people in game all day and night, and in my many groups? These things aren't common, so maybe each person needs to assess their connections, and weed out the roots between those groups to have the same mostly peaceful and calm experience that I would say is probably the more like experience.

Please don't imply my connections are somehow toxic. I love the connections I've made on this server thank you, and some of those people I've known over 10 years.

And the void actually does have meaningful conversation, it isn't all trolling.

You think anecdotal evidence isn't evidence but then use your own anecdotes to try to prove everyone wrong.

(05-21-2017, 05:13 PM)Strigiforme Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 05:00 PM)Momo Wrote: and the list goes on...these are the issues which should be brought up and considered when thinking between Balmung and another server, because as time goes on, those other issues will happen anywhere as established as Balmung is, and you will find the experience not as unique as you once hoped in your moments of rage, disappointment, and whiteknighting.

I entirely agree with the additional issues you listed as being valid problems the server faces. I'm surprised that you describe other people's issues and reactions so derisively because in fact, the things that you listed are actually very directly related to people's experiences feeling isolated, unable to integrate, etc. Large events and little variety of concepts make it very difficult to meet people whose RP fits with yours, thus leading to feelings of invisibility. Hopefully you consider that you might have more in common than you realize.

Oh no, I know these are connected, but I decide to take the realistic route of saying that "There is no RP anywhere" "Everyone is only looking for ERP" and "And someone skipped our RP date" as false characterizations of that consequence. Simple observations of people and places like RPC and its inhabitants, can show true to form, how those members and the groups they interact within, ultimately take a subject and look at it, and from opinions on it. If you come to RPC and find the most dramatic members, and the most toxic people, who may have connections, but whose connections are mired in people like themselves, and then get disappointed by the result, you have no one to blame but yourself. (not necessarily you, but the general "yourself")

AGAIN to clarify, I support the formation of another server, and the fight for a single or two RP servers sanctioned officially by SE, BUT AGAIN, if you have a personal problem, realize that if that personal problem isn't due to the server itself and is just a general problem that can happen in any RP group, because to do otherwise would be disingenuous, and a year from now when a bunch of people come to say that Mateus is "full of ERPers (heavens forbid), stalkers, and lonely folks forced out by society", you may be the one that sent them there thinking this would never happen to them.

Comparisons in this arena aren't adding to the server debates, they are misrepresenting Balmung as a unique devious place which breeds only more distaste between the servers that may spring up.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - EliBallard - 05-21-2017

Nothing will "kill Balmung" and that isn't the issue people should be focusing on. In fact, it's people coming in here to whine about that that takes away from the actual problem with the server lock, which is the people outside Balmung. Please stop making this about Balmung, nothing will happen, it will not die.

A new community is a good thing, if you're arguing that people are hurting the community by not all forcing themselves onto Balmung (while forcing them to pay money to do so) is ignorant and selfish. Please consider the people locked out and actually affected by this and don't turn it into a stupid "BALMUNG IS DYING" thread.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Cato - 05-21-2017

Well, if nothing else I feel like the counterpoints raised have simply been solidified further by the dismissive responses and finger pointing. I don't believe anybody was claiming that Balmung is a lost cause, merely that it doesn't work for everybody and that expecting everybody to come together and bond over sharing the same server is unlikely to amount to much at all.

Even before the recent controversy over the server being locked down completely there have been pockets of role-players settling elsewhere. Now those pockets stand to gain more prominence - especially Mateus, as that is quickly becoming a viable alternative for many of those disillusioned with Balmung.

That's a good thing. Having viable alternatives is far, far healthier than expecting that everybody comes together on the same server. Even if it doesn't work out for whatever reason...it's much better to try than to allow a flawed status quo to continue.

(05-21-2017, 05:32 PM)EliBallard Wrote: Nothing will "kill Balmung" and that isn't the issue people should be focusing on. In fact, it's people coming in here to whine about that that takes away from the actual problem with the server lock, which is the people outside Balmung. Please stop making this about Balmung, nothing will happen, it will not die.

A new community is a good thing, if you're arguing that people are hurting the community by not all forcing themselves onto Balmung (while forcing them to pay money to do so) is ignorant and selfish. Please consider the people locked out and actually affected by this and don't turn it into a stupid "BALMUNG IS DYING" thread.

True, Balmung isn't dying within the next 3-4 months. It does suck that new players who are starting because Stormblood is coming won't be able to join us on Balmung, but with the release of the expansion we are going to be OVERFULL for a few months. Worrying about Balmung's future doesn't change the fact that currently, presently, there are a bunch of people with no where to go.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Sig - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 05:32 PM)EliBallard Wrote: Nothing will "kill Balmung" and that isn't the issue people should be focusing on. In fact, it's people coming in here to whine about that that takes away from the actual problem with the server lock, which is the people outside Balmung. Please stop making this about Balmung, nothing will happen, it will not die.

Overlooking inflammatory language again (try omitting it sometime). 

The real solution to help new RPers locked out lies in one of the following:

(1) Convincing SE to lift the server transfer restriction; or

(2) Convincing SE to designate an official RP server.

We're not helping new RPers by creating yet another fragmented "unofficial" RP server that will never obtain a population capable of sustaining a diverse community (this has failed countless times before for the reasons stated in the OP).  Players on the smaller servers should welcome the newcomers, but migrating to the central RP hub (wherever it will be) should be in the end game.

SE is going to do neither. There is no "convincing" here. We tried to get an RP server designated when 2.0 was launching and they said they would consider it and decided against it. In fact I remember them saying they wanted the community to decide and I doubt they'll change their stance on that.

We can TRY, I know Nero did in fact put that suggestion on the official forums. There was no word from SE.

We need to hope for the best, but EXPECT that they won't, and therefore need a plan.