Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub (/showthread.php?tid=19478)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Kage - 05-21-2017

This may sound callous, but I honestly think that one of the better routes is that whatever 'server' is chosen outside of Balmung (most likely by the player base), that a large amount of other communities from the other servers feel welcomed and encouraged to also bring their communities as well. I think it would be the most robust choice. It would already have those with track records of being content creators and so forth, leaders to also help support other leaders so that the chances of fatigue and whatnot leading to some fracture would be lower.

It's honestly why I want more dialogue and incentives. More thoughts and discussions. Being able to have free transfers, reimbursements and so forth would help. And that's also why I encourage people to also let Square Enix know, realistically, what people would like to see to be able to transfer.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Sig - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 05:43 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: SE is going to do neither. There is no "convincing" here. We tried to get an RP server designated when 2.0 was launching and they said they would consider it and decided against it. In fact I remember them saying they wanted the community to decide and I doubt they'll change their stance on that.

We can TRY, I know Nero did in fact put that suggestion on the official forums. There was no word from SE.

We need to hope for the best, but EXPECT that they won't, and therefore need a plan.

How do you know this?  None of us know what SE would or would not do.  I certainly think our chances would be better if even 10% of FFXIV roleplayers made a concerted effort to request SE to designate an official RP server!

Nero did a great job posting this issue to the official forums (see my OP for the link), and we should be working to support the proposal to designate an official RP server.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - ArmachiA - 05-21-2017

I know because we've done it before. We actually got word to the higher ups about an RP server from some of the connections we had back then. Their response was "We want the community to decide what is or what isn't"

How do you know they'll listen? Because all of us at the RPC at the time threw our weight into that.

I have evidence they won't, you have no evidence they will.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Val - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 05:45 PM)Sig Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 05:43 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: SE is going to do neither. There is no "convincing" here. We tried to get an RP server designated when 2.0 was launching and they said they would consider it and decided against it. In fact I remember them saying they wanted the community to decide and I doubt they'll change their stance on that.

We can TRY, I know Nero did in fact put that suggestion on the official forums. There was no word from SE.

We need to hope for the best, but EXPECT that they won't, and therefore need a plan.

How do you know this?  None of us know what SE would or would not do.  I certainly think our chances would be better if even 10% of FFXIV roleplayers made a concerted effort to request SE to designate an official RP server!

Nero did a great job posting this issue to the official forums (see my OP for the link), and we should be working to support the proposal to designate an official RP server.

The point is that 10%--and more--of XIV RPers have already made a concerted effort to request them to designate a server. You're assuming your importance is far beyond anything than it actually is. I'm sure they may (and already have) consider it, but with the expansion, server move, and other bugs/game issues making a new server specifically for a very small percentage of the population is not going to be on the top of their list. I doubt it even makes top 10, meaning you can fuss and scream and whine and yell as much as you want but it isn't going to get it done any faster.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Kage - 05-21-2017

Based on my conversations with people that I know, I would think that they are not going to lift the restrictions and that they don't understand the -why- and importance of there being an 'official designated RP hub. The 'community' will do it.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Sig - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 05:49 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: I know because we've done it before. We actually got word to the higher ups about an RP server from some of the connections we had back then. Their response was "We want the community to decide what is or what isn't"

How do you know they'll listen? Because all of us at the RPC at the time threw our weight into that.

Your information is not evidence.  It is as much speculation as the proposition of SE creating RP servers.  Times change and circumstances are different, as shown by the size of Balmung's RP population today.

You under-estimate the ability of angry consumers to demand and receive the changes they request.  SE's opinions towards RP have become more receptive, as demonstrated by the RP tag. 

I don't think either of us can say with any degree of certainty what SE will ultimately do, but taking steps to convince them to designate an official RP server certainly doesn't hurt our chances.

(05-21-2017, 05:50 PM)Val Wrote:

The point is that 10%--and more--of XIV RPers have already made a concerted effort to request them to designate a server. You're assuming your importance is far beyond anything than it actually is. I'm sure they may (and already have) consider it, but with the expansion, server move, and other bugs/game issues making a new server specifically for a very small percentage of the population is not going to be on the top of their list. I doubt it even makes top 10, meaning you can fuss and scream and whine and yell as much as you want but it isn't going to get it done any faster.

That's strange.  I haven't seen this effort.  Outside of Nero and perhaps 15 RPers who made posts in support of his thread, I haven't seen any other type of effort recently to convince SE to designate an official RP server (because it has not been needed).

Slapping a tag on a new server that says <RP> costs minimal resources, and if enough consumers are asking for it -- SE will likely oblige. That's what happens when consumers "fuss" and "whine" about things [aka: make reasonable requests].

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - ArmachiA - 05-21-2017

Yo I hate to tell you but "precedent"- which is "an earlier event or action that is regarded as an example or guide to be considered in subsequent similar circumstances." - is admissible in the court of law so I would say I have some evidence to stand on here. I can sight precedent, you can sight a wing and a prayer.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Val - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 05:53 PM)Sig Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 05:49 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: I know because we've done it before. We actually got word to the higher ups about an RP server from some of the connections we had back then. Their response was "We want the community to decide what is or what isn't"

You under-estimate the ability of angry consumers to demand and receive the changes they request.  SE's opinions towards RP have become more reception, as demonstrated by the RP tag.

It's this alone that makes gamers into the entitled, pretentious pricks that they are today---to the point that a lot of them have become insufferable. Well, maybe not a lot, but the vocal majority certainly are.

Companies don't owe people anything unless they thoroughly screw something up. And even to that note, when a majority of consumers demand something you are likely to see it. RPers in XIV are not the majority. I'd argue they're hardly even a fraction.

(05-21-2017, 05:55 PM)Sig Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 05:50 PM)Val Wrote:

That's strange.  I haven't seen this effort.  Outside of Nero and perhaps 15 RPers who made posts in support of his thread, I haven't seen any other type of effort recently to convince SE to designate an official RP server (because it has not been needed).

Slapping a tag on a new server that says <RP> costs minimal resources, and if enough consumers are asking for it -- SE will likely oblige.  That's what happens when consumers "fuss" and "whine" about things [aka: make reasonable requests].

But nothing you're saying is remotely reasonable. "I haven't seen this effort" - it's been a request since the game went live. I can't help that you never saw the various threads.

"Slapping a tag on a new server costs minimal resources" - no. No it doesn't. That's not how this works.

(05-21-2017, 05:56 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: Yo I hate to tell you but "precedent"- which is "an earlier event or action that is regarded as an example or guide to be considered in subsequent similar circumstances." - is admissible in the court of law so I would say I have some evidence to stand on here. I can sight precedent, you can sight a wing and a prayer.

Precedent is actually not evidence (it's a form of legal authority).  You're probably referring to evidence of a past tendency or occurrence, which has questionable evidentiary value -- especially when the times and facts change.  And boy are they different now than in 2.0. 

The fact of the matter is no one knows what SE will do in terms of designated an official RP server.  But the more people who request for them to designate an official RP server, the more likely they will be to do such a thing.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - EliBallard - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 05:41 PM)Sig Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 05:32 PM)EliBallard Wrote: Nothing will "kill Balmung" and that isn't the issue people should be focusing on. In fact, it's people coming in here to whine about that that takes away from the actual problem with the server lock, which is the people outside Balmung. Please stop making this about Balmung, nothing will happen, it will not die.

A new community is a good thing, if you're arguing that people are hurting the community by not all forcing themselves onto Balmung (while forcing them to pay money to do so) is ignorant and selfish. Please consider the people locked out and actually affected by this and don't turn it into a stupid "BALMUNG IS DYING" thread.

Overlooking inflammatory language again (try omitting it sometime). 

The real solution to help new RPers locked out lies in one of the following:

(1) Convincing SE to lift the server transfer restriction; or

(2) Convincing SE to designate an official RP server.

We're not helping new RPers by creating yet another fragmented "unofficial" RP server that will never obtain a population capable of sustaining a diverse community (this has failed countless times before for the reasons stated in the OP).  Players on the smaller servers should welcome the newcomers, but migrating to the central RP hub (wherever it will be) should be in the end game.
So, while we're 'convincing Square Enix' the people who want to RP now are fucked. No, that's not a solution. You need to stop and listen to reason because you're just ignoring anyone who doesn't agree with you.

(05-21-2017, 05:57 PM)Val Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 05:53 PM)Sig Wrote:

You under-estimate the ability of angry consumers to demand and receive the changes they request.  SE's opinions towards RP have become more reception, as demonstrated by the RP tag.

It's this alone that makes gamers into the entitled, pretentious pricks that they are today---to the point that a lot of them have become insufferable. Well, maybe not a lot, but the vocal majority certainly are.

Companies don't owe people anything unless they thoroughly screw something up. And even to that note, when a majority of consumers demand something you are likely to see it. RPers in XIV are not the majority. I'd argue they're hardly even a fraction.

Requesting for developers to implement changes that will improve the game for a substantial amount of users doesn't make someone a "entitled, pretentious prick."  Asking for a RP server -- which will take almost no resources -- isn't unreasonable.

RPers are not the majority.  But we are a substantial number of players, and it is reasonable for RPers to desire an official, designated server, as shown by the number of MMORPGS that support such a thing.

Asking isn't unreasonable, expecting is.

We need to come up with a plan that's not "Let's wait and see" and if they do decide to make an RP server we then change direction. Waiting and seeing is not helping those people who are stuck right now.

(05-21-2017, 06:02 PM)Sig Wrote: Requesting for developers to implement changes that will improve the game for a substantial amount of users doesn't make someone a "entitled, pretentious prick."  Asking for a RP server -- which will take almost no resources -- isn't unreasonable.

RPers are not the majority.  But we are a substantial number of players, and it is reasonable for RPers to desire an official, designated server, as shown by the number of MMORPGS that support such a thing.

Snipped to prevent the quote spam

You can request it, sure. But expecting it is something else. Claiming that it's never been done because you personally didn't see it is another something else. Assuming that constant whining/crying about it will get it done faster when there are things far more important than you/RPers(of which I am) that need to be handled is super snowflakey and absurd. 

Yes, make a post about it. No, don't expect it to get things done. Hope and find an alternate solution. Telling people to hop on Balmung regardless is just going to make things worse for both the community that decides to play on Mateus and the people staying on Balmung thanks to how ridiculously overpopulated it already is. It isn't helping as much as you think it is.