Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub (/showthread.php?tid=19478)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - ArmachiA - 05-21-2017

Real talk, why do you keep talking down to people?

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Mercer - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 10:21 PM)Sig Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 10:14 PM)Oswin Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 10:00 PM)Sig  Wrote: (1)  I've addressed most counterpoints made in recent replies before.  The one thing I haven't seen addressed is how this attempt to designate a second unofficial RP server will result in anything more than a 50-100 person community scattered across 3-5 FCs (all offering their own brand of homogenized RP) that eventually goes the way of the dodo, like all others before it.  I really don't want to see that happen to great RPers who decide to RP on the alternative server, and Balmung itself would be at a loss [transfers will open up one day].

I'll address this point since I've been in the thick of helping create a platform for smaller communities and servers.

I will take Mateus as the example, because it is the most popular option at the moment.

The RP-C linkshell is growing actively. A secondary linkshell was put into place late last night to help handle the new players that are joining. New Free Companies are forming, players are transferring. Of the players that have reached out to join the community, there are over 200 active players.

The Free Company list continues to grow as well, there are 5 stable companies and others are starting up now that there are more active players.

This has been within a week of the original threads talking about the crisis and community leaders stepping up to show alternatives. These numbers are only going to grow as we get closer to SB and as the news spreads. There is a very real movement to grow the community on Mateus and the community leaders are doing everything they can to accommodate and give everyone that joins an opportunity to have a voice.

The implication that such a movement is fruitless is insulting to the leaders and players putting their time and effort into making their servers a viable alternative. And I'm not just talking about Mateus here, I'm talking about Faerie, I'm talking about Jenova, I'm talking about all the other RP servers out there that have been going weak or strong for years.

That's great news that the Mateus RP community is growing and creating a place for new RPers to roleplay.  Where we differ is on whether the RP community as a whole should divide itself across multiple servers [thereby creating an artificial barrier that divides the community itself].  I hope many who transfer to Mateus realize the value and importance of having a vibrant, diverse, and active RP hub, and will transfer to Balmung when the server opens.  We're all losing something by dividing the community across multiple servers. Ideally, SE will simply designate an official RP server, or simply lift the transfer restrictions soon -- rending all of this moot.

Great, so what are you going to do about it? You mentioned Nero's post, but what have you done with petitioning to accomplish such things? 

Have you created your own petition for people to sign? Because I haven't seen one. 

Have you advertised Nero's thread so others can sign it? Because I haven't seen you link it. 

Have you tried to organize tumblr/reddit/twitter? Because I haven't seen you link it or post.

So far what I have seen is that you disagree with what people are doing, saying that there should be an alternative and that's it. You are arguing in this thread as others bring up evidence and facts to back up their claims. You want SE to change how they are handling things but you're not following through. You have made your decision on what you believe is right and wrong, why are you not actively trying to get your agenda and goals done?

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - EliBallard - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 10:25 PM)Sig Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 10:18 PM)EliBallard Wrote: Still waiting for your answer! Also, maybe if you didn't act like you were the smart guy trying to convince us poor, blind sheep of the truth we'd be more receptive to your arguments. Makes you think.

I was going to offer to give you an answer when you manage to draft a post that isn't inflammatory, but I'm feeling generous (and believe that drafting such a post would prove difficult).

I've mentioned the answer numerous time -- if you physically can't access Balmung, select whatever alternative RP community best suits your tastes, and transfer to the central RP hub [Balmung or official RP server if designated] the first opportunity you get.  There are communities to pick from on numerous servers (Maetus, Farie, Lich, etc.).

Don't split the party.  Stick together.  For reasons why, see OP.

And most of all, you're welcome (insert Moana music here).
So, can we expect you to reimburse us the cost of the transfer and lost assets in-game? That' very generous of you.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Kage - 05-21-2017

One was made. It got shit on in the official forums.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/324984-Petition-to-Terminate-Restrictions-on-Transfer-to-%E2%80%9CHigh-Population%E2%80%9D-Servers

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Vexander - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 10:18 PM)EliBallard Wrote: Still waiting for your answer! Also, maybe if you didn't act like you were the smart guy trying to convince us poor, blind sheep of the truth we'd be more receptive to your arguments. Makes you think.

I was going to offer to give you an answer when you manage to draft a post that isn't inflammatory, but I'm feeling generous (and believe that drafting such a post would prove difficult).

I've mentioned the answer numerous time -- if you physically can't access Balmung, select whatever alternative RP community best suits your tastes, and transfer to the central RP hub [Balmung or official RP server if designated] the first opportunity you get.  There are communities to pick from on numerous servers (Maetus, Farie, Lich, etc.).

One of the most significant reasons the RP community of Balmung has remained there so long is that simply ripping out your roots and transferring is not as easy as it sounds. FCs, LSs, Friends, Houses, etc... you're suggesting that -when- Balmung is opened up, people should do all this and move to Balmung, when there are many on Balmung who are not willing to do this for the same reasons.

Don't you think there's something of a double standard in this? The RP community should stand united, I agree, but if its come to the point where we can have more than one stable server, I don't see the issue. When Balmung opens up, I don't see an issue in making alts there, just as some folks from Balmung do not currently see an issue in making alts for Mateus/Faerie/Siren.

If you're advocating that we do not split the party, that we stick together, perhaps you should campaign for Balmung's RP'ers to leave Balmung and be with the rest of the RP community, rather than on a server no one can join anymore.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Leggerless - 05-21-2017

So... um. Question. And I'm not really keen to reading through the walls of text yet.

Isn't the RPC designed to be a unifying hub (even if out of game) for all servers in FFXIV?

Not just Balmung? I mean. It could be used to host events, spread messages, put up signs for linkshells and FCs, across all servers.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Sig - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 10:32 PM)Kage Wrote: One was made. It got shit on in the official forums.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/324984-Petition-to-Terminate-Restrictions-on-Transfer-to-%E2%80%9CHigh-Population%E2%80%9D-Servers

The 25 thumbs up have to count for something?  And yes, a fine petition, I daresay.  I'm surprised the PVEers didn't burn me alive.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Unnamed Mercenary - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 10:35 PM)Leggerless Wrote: So... um. Question. And I'm not really keen to reading through the walls of text yet.

Isn't the RPC designed to be a unifying hub (even if out of game) for all servers in FFXIV?

Not just Balmung? I mean. It could be used to host events, spread messages, put up signs for linkshells and FCs, across all servers.

Yes.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Mercer - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 10:32 PM)Kage Wrote: One was made. It got shit on in the official forums.

So he did make a thread and didn't want to link it because it's a flame war just like this thread?

Why are we even in this thread again?

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Sig - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 10:33 PM)Vexander Wrote:

One of the most significant reasons the RP community of Balmung has remained there so long is that simply ripping out your roots and transferring is not as easy as it sounds. FCs, LSs, Friends, Houses, etc... you're suggesting that -when- Balmung is opened up, people should do all this and move to Balmung, when there are many on Balmung who are not willing to do this for the same reasons.

Don't you think there's something of a double standard in this? The RP community should stand united, I agree, but if its come to the point where we can have more than one stable server, I don't see the issue. When Balmung opens up, I don't see an issue in making alts there, just as some folks from Balmung do not currently see an issue in making alts for Mateus.

If you're advocating that we do not split the party, that we stick together, perhaps you should campaign for Balmung's RP'ers to leave Balmung and be with the rest of the RP community, rather than on a server no one can join anymore.

We must sadly defer to utilitarian realities.  There are too many RPers entrenched in Balmung, with on-going plots, real property, etc., for a community wide transfer to a new server to take place.  The only thing that could every accomplish that would be an official RP designation.  Again, it doesn't matter what server we're on: what matters is that we're united in one centralized RP hub.  This benefits everyone for the reasons stated in the OP.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Kage - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 10:35 PM)Sig Wrote:

The 25 thumbs up have to count for something?  And yes, a fine petition, I daresay.  I'm surprised the PVEers didn't burn me alive.

I've had better with less page count. Smile

(05-21-2017, 10:37 PM)Oswin Wrote:

So he did make a thread and didn't want to link it because it's a flame war just like this thread?

[Image: duty_calls.png]
Maybe?

(05-21-2017, 10:37 PM)Oswin Wrote:

The thread I made on the official forums is a broader argument against the server restrictions in general and encompasses more than the RP community.  I didn't want to bore PVEers to death with the intricacies of the RP community.

Although terminating the server restriction would be ideal, it is far more probable that SE would designate an official RP if we could get our ducks in a row and advocate for that course of action collectively.  Hence, that is why I linked Nero's thread in the OP, and why I believe effort is best spent seeking the official RP server designation.

(05-21-2017, 10:39 PM)Kage Wrote:

Never mind the fact that posters just below him disagreeing have 4 times the thumbs.

(05-21-2017, 10:39 PM)Kage Wrote:

Correct ideas are not always popular.

What have I become Kage? What have I become?