Hydaelyn Role-Players
How long is the journey to Kugane? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: How long is the journey to Kugane? (/showthread.php?tid=19514)

How long is the journey to Kugane? - Romeo Riviere - 05-24-2017

Hi friends o7

So, I've been DM'ing a series events for my FC, which'll take us to Kugane (like many of you). Anyway, I vaguely heard somewhere the journey there would take some 2 months, but then Gosetsu made his comical entrance on a $*&#ing fishing boat.

So, I'm not really sure how to go about this now, whether to leave it as something ambiguous or not. 

Also, why would we travel east from Vesper Bay (where all the Domans arrived), when we could just go west from La Noscea, to reach Kugane?

[Image: 3ip8LEF.jpg]

RE: How long is the journey to Kugane? - L'ohba Tia - 05-24-2017

(05-24-2017, 06:36 PM)Romeo Riviere Wrote: Hi friends o7

So, I've been DM'ing a series events for my FC, which'll take us to Kugane (like many of you). Anyway, I vaguely heard somewhere the journey there would take some 2 months, but then Gosetsu made his comical entrance on a $*&#ing fishing boat.

So, I'm not really sure how to go about this now, whether to leave it as something ambiguous or not. 

Also, why would we travel east from Vesper Bay (where all the Domans arrived), when we could just go west from La Noscea, to reach Kugane?

There's another whole continent to the west, the New World, where the Mamool Ja are from. So you can't just go that way. By the looks of things, Othard should be almost on the opposite end of the globe. Maybe Gosetsu's samurai training just made him that badass that he made the journey in a fishing boat?

RE: How long is the journey to Kugane? - Gegenji - 05-24-2017

(05-24-2017, 06:38 PM)Lohba Tia Wrote:
(05-24-2017, 06:36 PM)Romeo Riviere Wrote: Hi friends o7

There's another whole continent to the west, the New World, where the Mamool Ja are from. So you can't just go that way. By the looks of things, Othard should be almost on the opposite end of the globe. Maybe Gosetsu's samurai training just made him that badass that he made the journey in a fishing boat?

I... THINK it's a Japanese trope of some sort? You see a samurai character do the same thing in Bravely Second - travel around huge distances in a rowboat. I think that's kind of what they were going for.

RE: How long is the journey to Kugane? - Virella - 05-24-2017

With a bit of luck we will get an answer on that with SB coming out in a couple of weeks.

But I believe sailing from Doma to Eorzea was weeks? I'm not sure though!

RE: How long is the journey to Kugane? - Jeanne IX - 05-24-2017

If we are to assume Hydaelyn is about the same size as Earth, would it be the distance from Europe to Japan?

RE: How long is the journey to Kugane? - Sounsyy - 05-24-2017

(05-24-2017, 06:36 PM)Romeo Riviere Wrote: Anyway, I vaguely heard somewhere the journey there would take some 2 months, but then Gosetsu made his comical entrance on a $*&#ing fishing boat.
(05-24-2017, 09:10 PM)Jeanne IX Wrote: If we are to assume Hydaelyn is about the same size as Earth, would it be the distance from Europe to Japan?

Probably best to ignore the fact that Gosetsu arrived in a dinghy. With the fastest ship and the most favorable sailing conditions, it takes at least two months to make the journey from the Ruby Tide (the sea on Doma's coast separating it from Hingashi) to the Rhotano Sea/Strait of Merlthor.

Encyclopedia Eorzea: The Three Great Continents Wrote:Situated in Hydaelyn’s northern hemisphere and stretching from the polar region, almost to the equator, the Three Great Continents consist of Aldenard in the west, Ilsabard in the north and center, and Othard in the east. So great is the distance, that even the fastest of trader vessels carried by favorable winds require at least a fortnight to make the journey from Old Sharlayan to Vylbrand, and another two moons to travel from there to Doma.
Yugiri Wrote:We have traveled some several thousand malms across the sea, from the nation of Doma, in hopes that we might find sanctuary in these lands.

(05-24-2017, 06:36 PM)Romeo Riviere Wrote: Also, why would we travel east from Vesper Bay (where all the Domans arrived), when we could just go west from La Noscea, to reach Kugane?

A couple reasons, actually. The first is that there's another continent to the west which blocks any direct route from Vylbrand to Hingashi. Even eighty years after the western continent's discovery, Mamook remains largely unexplored and it's unclear if any explorer has attempted to sail around the continent to reach the Far East.

-More lore on Mamook, the New World can be found here.

The second, to the west of Vylbrand is the Indigo Deep or Sahagin territory. While Merlwyb discovered a more safe route to Mamook from Limsa Lominsa, sailing across this expanse is still quite perilous, as the Sahagin are highly territorial and have no qualms sinking ships for spoils. Before Merlwyb's charts to the western continent, this lead to many many ships lost in the Deep. It eventually provoked Limsa Lominsa to forge a peace treaty with the kobold so that they could focus their war efforts against the Sahagin. A massive fleet of Barracuda and pirate ships set sail to go to war with the Sahagin, but the fleet was decimated and the operation ended in failure.

There's also the distance. While we don't know exactly how far away from Vylbrand Mamook is, we do know Ketenramm's original expedition to the new world lasted three years and Merlwyb's later expedition lasted over a year. So we can guesstimate nearly a month and a half or two months voyage? Then to find a way around the continent, and press on to the Far East, which would be another incredibly long journey according to Haragin Xaela legend.

Haragin Wrote:The legends of this coastal tribe tell of a group of their ancestors who crafted a giant ship and sailed out across the endless eastern ocean. The explorers are said to have returned with tales of a terrible island covered in massive grey monoliths and inhabited by fire-breathing steel demons.

In short, the shortest point of travel to the Far East from Vylbrand is to sail south from Galadion Bay beneath Cape Deadwind and travel northeast across the Sea of Ash to the Jade Sea and the Bounty beyond. Most trade ships would likely resupply in Radz-at-Han on Thavnair, then press southeast towards Greylic's Bend, finally turning north towards the Ruby Tide and to Doma or Kugane.

[Image: ljqJLSA.jpg]

Hope this helps! ^^

RE: How long is the journey to Kugane? - Romeo Riviere - 05-25-2017

(05-24-2017, 10:29 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(05-24-2017, 06:36 PM)Romeo Riviere Wrote: Anyway, I vaguely heard somewhere the journey there would take some 2 months, but then Gosetsu made his comical entrance on a $*&#ing fishing boat.
(05-24-2017, 09:10 PM)Jeanne IX Wrote: If we are to assume Hydaelyn is about the same size as Earth, would it be the distance from Europe to Japan?

Probably best to ignore the fact that Gosetsu arrived in a dinghy. With the fastest ship and the most favorable sailing conditions, it takes at least two months to make the journey from the Ruby Tide (the sea on Doma's coast separating it from Hingashi) to the Rhotano Sea/Strait of Merlthor.

Encyclopedia Eorzea: The Three Great Continents Wrote:Situated in Hydaelyn’s northern hemisphere and stretching from the polar region, almost to the equator, the Three Great Continents consist of Aldenard in the west, Ilsabard in the north and center, and Othard in the east. So great is the distance, that even the fastest of trader vessels carried by favorable winds require at least a fortnight to make the journey from Old Sharlayan to Vylbrand, and another two moons to travel from there to Doma.
Yugiri Wrote:We have traveled some several thousand malms across the sea, from the nation of Doma, in hopes that we might find sanctuary in these lands.

(05-24-2017, 06:36 PM)Romeo Riviere Wrote: Also, why would we travel east from Vesper Bay (where all the Domans arrived), when we could just go west from La Noscea, to reach Kugane?

A couple reasons, actually. The first is that there's another continent to the west which blocks any direct route from Vylbrand to Hingashi. Even eighty years after the western continent's discovery, Mamook remains largely unexplored and it's unclear if any explorer has attempted to sail around the continent to reach the Far East.

-More lore on Mamook, the New World can be found here.

The second, to the west of Vylbrand is the Indigo Deep or Sahagin territory. While Merlwyb discovered a more safe route to Mamook from Limsa Lominsa, sailing across this expanse is still quite perilous, as the Sahagin are highly territorial and have no qualms sinking ships for spoils. Before Merlwyb's charts to the western continent, this lead to many many ships lost in the Deep. It eventually provoked Limsa Lominsa to forge a peace treaty with the kobold so that they could focus their war efforts against the Sahagin. A massive fleet of Barracuda and pirate ships set sail to go to war with the Sahagin, but the fleet was decimated and the operation ended in failure.

There's also the distance. While we don't know exactly how far away from Vylbrand Mamook is, we do know Ketenramm's original expedition to the new world lasted three years and Merlwyb's later expedition lasted over a year. So we can guesstimate nearly a month and a half or two months voyage? Then to find a way around the continent, and press on to the Far East, which would be another incredibly long journey according to Haragin Xaela legend.

Haragin Wrote:The legends of this coastal tribe tell of a group of their ancestors who crafted a giant ship and sailed out across the endless eastern ocean. The explorers are said to have returned with tales of a terrible island covered in massive grey monoliths and inhabited by fire-breathing steel demons.

In short, the shortest point of travel to the Far East from Vylbrand is to sail south from Galadion Bay beneath Cape Deadwind and travel northeast across the Sea of Ash to the Jade Sea and the Bounty beyond. Most trade ships would likely resupply in Radz-at-Han on Thavnair, then press southeast towards Greylic's Bend, finally turning north towards the Ruby Tide and to Doma or Kugane.

[Image: ljqJLSA.jpg]

Hope this helps! ^^

That actually helps so much! Thanks Sounsyy, you're the best! :>