Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story (/showthread.php?tid=19831)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

[SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Kage - 06-22-2017

If you aren't willing to be spoiled by anything and everything Stormblood, get out!

Anyone else think the WoL was awesome for saving the small group from the first -insert however Lakshmi 'tempers' here- of the immediate group.

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Gegenji - 06-22-2017

That was actually what I was vaguely alluding to over in the Primal thread, I think? If we're talking about the same scene. Which immediately raised a question for me:

Is it just a WoL thing where you can put up an "anti-temper barrier" like that? Or is that something any Echo-user could learn how to do? Because if it's the latter, then it'd be super feasible to have "normal" fighters be able to take on Primals, just as long as they have a Walker (is that the term for an Echo-user in general, or just one who can specifically see other peoples' memories?) in their squads.

And, if true, could make the Garleans' attempts at artificially imbuing themselves with the Echo a bit more feasible. Just imbue a couple anti-Eikon defenders rather than trying to gene therapy their entire combat force.

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Virella - 06-22-2017

Can we have a moment to discuss that Inferno mob thing? Was that a Garlean Pureblood experiment gone wrong? Because I'm sure as hell it has a third eye.

Also Laksmhi is such an evil shit. I love her.

(06-22-2017, 12:29 PM)Virella Wrote: Can we have a moment to discuss that Inferno mob thing? Was that a Garlean Pureblood experiment gone wrong? Because I'm sure as hell it has a third eye.
If you mean the final boss of the Castrum dungeon, all those bosses were FF6 references! Not only that, they're all enemies/bosses you find in the Magitek Research Facility, where Espers were drained of their magic in order to make Magitek Knights like Celes and Kefka. Fitting.

[Image: latest?cb=20120725040122]
Magna Roader

[Image: latest?cb=20120725035822]
Number 024

[Image: latest?cb=20120725102710]
Number 124 (Recolor in Kefka's Tower is called Inferno!)

... So yeah, in that game I think they were all Magitek experiments, so it isn't too far of a stretch that they're the same in FFXIV. Especially considering what happened to our "friend" before the final fight in Doma Castle...

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Val - 06-22-2017

Naruto eyes =(

(06-22-2017, 12:39 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(06-22-2017, 12:29 PM)Virella Wrote: Can we have a moment to discuss that Inferno mob thing? Was that a Garlean Pureblood experiment gone wrong? Because I'm sure as hell it has a third eye.
If you mean the final boss of the Castrum dungeon, all those bosses were FF6 references!  Not only that, they're all enemies/bosses you find in the Magitek Research Facility, where Espers were drained of their magic in order to make Magitek Knights like Celes and Kefka. Fitting.

[Image: latest?cb=20120725040122]
Magna Roader

[Image: latest?cb=20120725035822]
Number 024

[Image: latest?cb=20120725102710]
Number 124 (Recolor in Kefka's Tower is called Inferno!)

ngl all the FFVI references made me super giddy. While I loathed a few dungeons in Heavensward, I don't think there has been a single one in Stormblood I haven't enjoyed.

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Cato - 06-22-2017

I found myself very impressed with the MSQ's this time around. Minimal padding was a huge bonus. Lots of character development too - and world building. It was excellent to see both the protagonists and the antagonists get a decent amount of scenes explaining their motives.

As always, I enjoyed a lot of the fanservice too. The bosses/enemies from previous titles have already been brought up but a special mention needs to go to Hien's theme being a remix of Cyan's theme from FF6. That was a very nice touch.

I just hope that the patch content is just as solid - 3.0 was very strong but fizzled out. This time around, though, they appear to have left things open for a stronger continuation.

(06-22-2017, 12:55 PM)Graeham Wrote: The bosses/enemies from previous titles have already been brought up but a special mention needs to go to Hien's theme being a remix of Cyan's theme from FF6.

OH MY GOD THIS. I swear to God, we better be able to get the song so we can play it on our Orchestrinas. The moment I heard it, I didn't believe it at first - it took me a moment. And then I made the happiest squee.

... Speaking of Samurai in general... it's not MSQ-related but I need to go back and see if my old discussion with Leggers was actually posted and not just in chat about how SAM would work. Because I very distinctly remember talking about having a Greased Lightning-esque stack that built up from completing combos that could be spent early to do big effects. I vaguely remember going with five stacks, with a DoT and a light/heavy single and AoE attack.

I felt very vindicated when I tried out SAM for the first time.

EDIT: Bah, I think it was chat room only. Can't seem to find it, but I definitely remember talking to Leggerless and making mention of it. But that's neither here nor there.

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Kage - 06-22-2017

Reminder for those who didn't know Kaien = Cyan and well, you know, Doma.

Can we talk about how one Doma got flooded and the other was poisoned?

Also, Hien = Shun = Owain = Cyan's son.

Mina = Elayne = Mina = Cyan's wife.

Cyan = Kaien.

They gave us the JP FF6 names XD BUT SHUN DIDN'T DIE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLxP67RKUJI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcZR7A2TMAQ

Oh yeah, I know! Just I don't think in 6 Inferno had that third eye? I could be wrong though. But judging from the art, he doesn't seem to have it either in FF6?

In any case, fuck Lyse. That was the only hamfisted shit in the MSQ I really didn't agree with. She has no experience, she's too naive ect. That really felt grossly out of place. Rest of the MSQ? Good shit.

(06-22-2017, 12:55 PM)Graeham Wrote: I found myself very impressed with the MSQ's this time around. Minimal padding was a huge bonus. Lots of character development too - and world building. It was excellent to see both the protagonists and the antagonists get a decent amount of scenes explaining their motives.

As always, I enjoyed a lot of the fanservice too. The bosses/enemies from previous titles have already been brought up but a special mention needs to go to Hien's theme being a remix of Cyan's theme from FF6. That was a very nice touch.

I just hope that the patch content is just as solid - 3.0 was very strong but fizzled out. This time around, though, they appear to have left things open for a stronger continuation.

I can definitely agree with all of this. The fanservice was pretty great, and while I'm usually not one to care about cheap fanservice, this felt a bit more genuine. Most of them were surprises when you came across/saw them, and it was really nice. That scorpion boss in Ala Mhigo ;-;
my childhood

I think this story was exceptionally well done. The villains were wonderful and getting to interact with them on and off felt great. The only scene I rolled my eyes at is after the Doman Castle dungeon where the samurai dies and he's sitting there holding the wall for ages while your party is just staring/having a normal conversation. I get they wanted it to be impactful, but it was a little silly imo.

Aside from that small complaint? I went into Stormblood not expecting much and very skeptical. I didn't even preorder until maybe 15 days out, but man am I glad I did. All of the changes they've made were for the better. I just hope they can keep it up.

Edit: And thank god those eyes are gone. Worst thing ever.

(06-22-2017, 01:30 PM)Kage Wrote: Reminder for those who didn't know Kaien = Cyan and well, you know, Doma.

... Frustrated
HOW DID I MISS THAT? Laugh

(06-22-2017, 01:34 PM)Virella Wrote: In any case, fuck Lyse. That was the only hamfisted shit in the MSQ I really didn't agree with. She has no experience, she's too naive ect. That really felt grossly out of place. Rest of the MSQ? Good shit.

I think the idea was that the time in Doma was supposed to be a learning experience for Lyse. Seeing and learning from Hien, who was in a similar situation she was. Seeing how he did things, what he did, and internalizing it so when she returned to Ala Mhigo she was in a better position to become the leader of the Resistance.

(06-22-2017, 01:34 PM)Val Wrote: I think this story was exceptionally well done. The villains were wonderful and getting to interact with them on and off felt great. The only scene I rolled my eyes at is after the Doman Castle dungeon where the samurai dies and he's sitting there holding the wall for ages while your party is just staring/having a normal conversation. I get they wanted it to be impactful, but it was a little silly imo.

Continuing my attempt at guessing the meaning of things... I totally thought that scene was supposed to be a reference to Sabin in the World of Ruin. You know, holding up A BUILDING while you went in there to save someone.

(06-22-2017, 01:40 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(06-22-2017, 01:30 PM)Kage Wrote: Reminder for those who didn't know Kaien = Cyan and well, you know, Doma.

... Frustrated
HOW DID I MISS THAT? Laugh

(06-22-2017, 01:34 PM)Virella Wrote: In any case, fuck Lyse. That was the only hamfisted shit in the MSQ I really didn't agree with. She has no experience, she's too naive ect. That really felt grossly out of place. Rest of the MSQ? Good shit.

I think the idea was that the time in Doma was supposed to be a learning experience for Lyse. Seeing and learning from Hien, who was in a similar situation she was. Seeing how he did things, what he did, and internalizing it so when she returned to Ala Mhigo she was in a better position to become the leader of the Resistance.

(06-22-2017, 01:34 PM)Val Wrote: I think this story was exceptionally well done. The villains were wonderful and getting to interact with them on and off felt great. The only scene I rolled my eyes at is after the Doman Castle dungeon where the samurai dies and he's sitting there holding the wall for ages while your party is just staring/having a normal conversation. I get they wanted it to be impactful, but it was a little silly imo.

Continuing my attempt at guessing the meaning of things... I totally thought that scene was supposed to be a reference to Sabin in the World of Ruin. You know, holding up A BUILDING while you went in there to save someone.

It's entirely possible? And I still think the scene overall was nice, and I enjoyed it until they just kept talking and talking and talking. And then the guy gets shot and they still keep talking and talking and talking.

(06-22-2017, 01:40 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

I don't know, I really felt they did a bad job at it. She did fuck all, beyond sitting in a prison for the most part and being a whiny, ignorant shit. I didn't see any character progression in her story leading up to her leadership.

She seems to ignorant of everything going on in Ala Mhigo. What is fine for a character who doesn't have much memory of it, but c'mon. You'd think if she was indeed with the Resistance for a while now, them, or just other Ala Mhigans would have told about how Ala Mhigo is currently. Nothing changed regarding that after the Doma arc. She was still the same naive dumb little girl.

Seriously, she's really not fit to be a leader. I'd hope they give the Resistance/Ala Mhigo a fitting one and Lyse goes back being with the Scions eventually.

Edit: I also hope Fordola continues to be a massive evil shit.

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Kage - 06-22-2017

bad shitpost theory Wrote:So who reckons itll turn out yosutsu is infact the real Yda? who some how survived and become a villian common story plot twist!

Me: Could you spell her name correctly or at least come up with a plausible theory?