Hydaelyn Role-Players
Important Things to Catch Up On After Lvl/Story Boost? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Important Things to Catch Up On After Lvl/Story Boost? (/showthread.php?tid=19966)

Important Things to Catch Up On After Lvl/Story Boost? - Allurian - 07-02-2017

Hello
I've wanted to get into FFXIV for some time now, but in spite of giving the trial a look my girlfriend hasn't wanted to take the plunge.  We've been enjoying WoW's Legion since it launched, but she's ready now to give FF a real try, and I want to make sure it has the maximum chance to reel her in.  I know the concept of jumping past story elements is controversial in such a story-driven game, but my gf just can't get into the low-level story and simplistic combat over the first 20+ levels.    

So with that as the setup, if we DO start out with Stormblood content, beyond the most important step of learning how to play a job competently what important things are there that we will not have done that we need to go back and catch up on from a gameplay standpoint?  Any important unlocks?  Reputation gains?  Chocobo training?    Etc....

Thank you SO much for any advice other than "Play through the full game."  I know that would be ideal, but unfortunately I don't think it's a viable option if I want her to fall in love with FFXIV.

RE: Important Things to Catch Up On After Lvl/Story Boost? - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-02-2017

I would take time to get familiar with the skills and what level they become available. FFXIV does make use of old content for a LOT of things, like relic weapon quests. While your girlfriend will be spared from having to relearn how to play the game after battle system changes, the class/role she picks is still important and I'd recommend making sure she gets familiar with each of the cross-role abilities and when each is best used as well.

It's important to note that as of 4.0, it appears SE is trying to lead DPS players into having more utility to help out the healers and tanks. Things like enmity reducers, refreshes, etc. Naturally, tanks still need to grab their cooldowns from cross-role and healers will need to pick up their chared basics for general content. A lot of players will likely pick a basic set and not adjust, which is fine for most things, but you and her may enjoy swapping them out as needed. (Like dumping esuna and protect once they aren't needed for a specific trial or dungeon.)

I know that FFXIV feels slow at lower levels. Believe me there. I've leveled up a few times. But that combat does return and if she say, picked a healer, those same 2-4 attacks will pretty much be it for solo content all the way up, since they now get upgraded. While the MSQ and Level potions will speed things up to current content, there's a pretty high chance a lot of it will be revisited in endgame. Especially if making use of the Duty finder roulette system.