Hydaelyn Role-Players
Trying to understand *main story spoilers ahead* - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Trying to understand *main story spoilers ahead* (/showthread.php?tid=20152)

Trying to understand *main story spoilers ahead* - Rybo3282 - 07-19-2017

First a little about me:

I am experienced with Ffxiv as far as how the game is played.  I mostly play mmos for the combat, I love any kind of group activities except for pvp.  All I do is run group content of all kinds.  
It does get dry after a while.  This is why I would like to be around RPers.  I love the genius so many of you are and I think being around you will add flavor to the game that will help me hold interest.
That being said, I have in no way the Calibur of your creativity and am completely ignorant of how RP works in this game.  Is the main story of the game irrelevant to you all?  I have an idea of a character that would suit my play style and cater to my ignorance of RP.
I would like to be a part of an FC where the players recognize themselves as warriors of light.  I would play a female gifted to them by Hydaelyn to aid them in battle as a class most useful to them, be it paladin, white mage or dps (I have not decided which one).  My character would not be a real person, but "The Hand of Hydaelyn" as Minfilia is the voice.  Think of KOS-MOS from Xenosaga.  KOS-MOS was a weapon, able to communicate as far as battle tactics and whatnot, but no real opinions or emotions.  My character exists to accommodate a warrior of light as needed, be it tank, heals or dps.
This will allow me to be a part of your community without requiring a level of participation that is over my head.  Also, I believe my character would best be female so I wouldn't want to have to RP in discord.
I hope there is a place for me among your community.  If any of you know of one, please enlighten me.  I am anxious to get started.  I am a very respectable player and supportive of my FC mates.

RE: Trying to understand *main story spoilers ahead* - Parth Makeo - 07-19-2017

I'm sure there is at least some people who do that but...from what i see almost 95% of the RPers (At least those i've interacted) do not go that route because of the Mary Sue/Gary Stu way the Main Story Quest paints the Warrior of Light. Most of us just want to be more creative than simply the chosen one or the jesus led by god.

But keep looking. I'm sure there is an FC like that somewhere. Just be careful about it. 

A good idea though is to start roleplaying in public areas and events casually and don't bring it up until you have met people who may share the same RP ideas later on.

RE: Trying to understand *main story spoilers ahead* - Kilieit - 07-20-2017

(07-19-2017, 11:23 PM)Rybo3282 Wrote: Also, I believe my character would best be female so I wouldn't want to have to RP in discord.

For what it's worth, when people refer to Discord RP, they're almost never referring to voice RP. They're referring to using a text channel on Discord to do text RP in, instead of the in-game text channels.

Also-also, as a veteran of several tabletop conventions, it's not at all unusual for a man to play a female character or a woman to play a male character - without trying to pitch their voices, even. Most people just accept that, just like text RP is a visual representation of an auditory experience (listening to your character talk), the roleplayer speaking aloud is just a higher/lower-pitched representation of that same auditory experience. We adjust in our heads, using our imaginations. In my experience, it's not that much weirder to imagine a man's low voice in my head as sounding high-pitched like his character's would, than it is to imagine a written piece of text sounding high-pitched like his character's would.

Maybe it's different with roleplayers who are used to solely RPing in text - but I imagine on the rare chance someone is asking you to RP over voice chat, that's not going to be the case.

Though, if anyone finds, say, a voice distorter that works with Discord... can you let me know? I need one for other reasons.

RE: Trying to understand *main story spoilers ahead* - SapphireSkylines - 07-20-2017

Welcome to the RP community! There's nothing wrong with playing like you're a fellow adventurer who assists the warrior of light. However, probably upon starting out you may be better off just having your character be an adventurer in general. Maybe they have met the WoL a few times and helped them, but maybe they also have gone on their own missions and adventures as well. 

A character like that would be able to fit into a lot of RP scenes, plus there's adventuring RP FCs all over the place, you'd have no problem finding one.

As far as what gender you play, RP what you're comfortable with and what you feel is right for your character concept. Like it was mentioned above, Discord RP just means instant messaging RP. I've never heard of anyone doing RP in voice chat though I'm sure there are people who do that. 

Good luck figuring out your character and the RP community!