Hydaelyn Role-Players
Who is your oldest/longest-played character? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Who is your oldest/longest-played character? (/showthread.php?tid=20300)

Pages: 1 2

Who is your oldest/longest-played character? - Kaiverta - 08-07-2017

Mine is Krice, my silver-haired OC (points to signature image). I've had him for just a couple months shy of seventeen years, and have written/RPed him consistently every year. Smile

He was first inspired by Kai Hiwatari of the very first Beyblade series, but over time grew into a character who is nothing like Kai but still has similar qualities that inspired me to create him in the first place; strong, loyal, stoic but deep down has a heart of gold. Some people might consider that cliche, but given how old a character he is, it wasn't QUITE as cliche back then. xD And I don't care, anyway.

So who is your oldest-surviving character (in played years, not actually ALIVE characters versus dead ones)? What inspired you to create him/her? Smile

RE: Who is your oldest/longest-surviving character? - A'kos - 08-07-2017

If we're talking currently played (on again off again in my case) I'd have to say my SWTOR main Aidyn Akash.  I brought him over from a table top game where my friends and I continued our storyline so I guess that's around ten years.

Of all my characters, I'd have to say A'kos' mentor Xzenivar.  Who originated on a persistent server for Neverwinter Nights, was played in various forms throughout the years including being my main through FF14 1.0 and is a major player in A'kos' backstory and who is actually still alive.  That's uhm,  15 years?

RE: Who is your oldest/longest-surviving character? - Es'mena - 08-07-2017

My first MMO character was for SWTOR - Es'merelda Danen, whom I've semi-recreated in WoW and now in FFXIV (by staying with a base theme and manipulating a good chunk of it in a different way each time). I always refer to her affectionately as my baby and I p much love her dearly. While her story more or less ended, she didn't die, so she's teeeechnically my oldest, longest-surviving character based on years played.

If we're talking about oldest, longest-surviving in THEIR years, I think it's my villain sin'dorei over on WoW, Karsteth. He's over two centuries old and he's not dead...yet.

RE: Who is your oldest/longest-surviving character? - Gegenji - 08-07-2017

Oddly enough, I don't have any "long-lasting" characters. Though, that's mostly due to me having so many different character ideas kicking around that I always have something new I want to try - and the setting of whatever I'm RPing in (or even just the available classes and feats) can generate more new ideas.

So, the length of the character's "survival" tends to just depend on how long I have been playing that particular game or system. So, by that logic - even though I never really RPed with him - the longest-lived character is probably my Night Elf Hunter in WoW. I created him back in Vanilla and didn't really hang him up until around the end of Pandaria - though I did take some large breaks from the game, like a good few months to a year just before... whatever expansion had Icecrown Citadel - the one with the Death Knights.

For longest RPed character, it might actually be Chachanji! I mean, I've been playing this game and RPing as him for... what, three years now? Not quite as long as those who have honed and adapted a single character across many a system... but not too shabby! Wink

RE: Who is your oldest/longest-surviving character? - SapphireSkylines - 08-07-2017

I never really killed any characters off or have decided that I'd never play a character again, but I do have retired characters who could return at any point in time. 

Probably my longest surviving character is my gnome on WoW - Relea Lightspanner. She was the second roleplay character I had made and I was just starting out as a roleplayer when I made her. She had a lot development for the five years that I played her on and off. She started as a novice priest, she joined a sector of the Gnomeregan military with very little military knowledge (This was a gnome only RP guild that I joined.) and she rose through the ranks until she became a commander. I was in that guild for three years. 

For the last two years of me playing WoW, she participated in a lot of story arcs and I had a lot of good moments with my friends but then I got sick of WoW and began playing Final Fantasy. That's the only reason why I stopped playing her. 

When I played Final Fantasy, I made a lalafell named Relana Lana and lightly based her off Relea with some different characteristics. When I came to Balmung, my character Liara was also lightly based off of Relea too. I'm sure if anyone asked me to become involved in a WoW RP, that I'd be more than happy to bring Relea back.

RE: Who is your oldest/longest-surviving character? - Jean L - 08-08-2017

I don't kill characters so much as forget about them. A lot get altered in time but I think my character Beelze is probably my longest lived OC. He never even really changed much over the years, was always a child and a demon with a heart of gold. I just really wanted a demon character, I was inspired at first to make a creepy looking kid OC after reading monster for the first time but me being me I wound up adding a supernatural element to him.

RE: Who is your oldest/longest-surviving character? - Athil - 08-08-2017

Oldest/longest-surviving character would be my original main from WoW. Athil's actually been a character since the launch of ARR, but I only started roleplaying him in the past few months.

RE: Who is your oldest/longest-surviving character? - SicketySix - 08-08-2017

Considering all my RP carries heavy consequences, and all my characters are prone to get over their heads in trouble, none of my characters have lasted a year.

RE: Who is your oldest/longest-surviving character? - Cato - 08-09-2017

[Image: sol%20ban.png]

It's definitely the guy shown above! His name is Solbranthius Dawnsurge - a pragmatic blood elf wholly devoted to the military so that he could do his part to ensure that his people survived the odds stacked against them. He did whatever was needed to keep his homeland and people safe.

I first created him back when blood elves were first added to WoW in The Burning Crusade. I role-played him at least once a week up until Cataclysm. That was my interest in WoW started to decline but it wasn't until FFXIV's relaunch that I found a suitable replacement MMO. By the time WoW brought Warlords of Draenor I had pretty much given up on the game entirely. I stopped playing - but I haven't forgotten the great memories I forged whilst he served as the focus of my MMO activities.

I wrapped up his story by having him take a step back from active duties and focus instead on training new recruits. It seemed like a fitting conclusion to my time portraying him and I didn't want to kill him off even if I had no intention of ever picking him up again.

RE: Who is your oldest/longest-surviving character? - Kaiverta - 08-09-2017

(08-09-2017, 12:23 AM)Ryuji Wrote: [Image: sol%20ban.png]

It's definitely the guy shown above! His name is Solbranthius Dawnsurge - a pragmatic blood elf wholly devoted to the military so that he could do his part to ensure that his people survived the odds stacked against them. He did whatever was needed to keep his homeland and people safe.

I first created him back when blood elves were first added to WoW in The Burning Crusade. I role-played him at least once a week up until Cataclysm. That was my interest in WoW started to decline but it wasn't until FFXIV's relaunch that I found a suitable replacement MMO. By the time WoW brought Warlords of Draenor I had pretty much given up on the game entirely. I stopped playing - but I haven't forgotten the great memories I forged whilst he served as the focus of my MMO activities.

I wrapped up his story by having him take a step back from active duties and focus instead on training new recruits. It seemed like a fitting conclusion to my time portraying him and I didn't want to kill him off even if I had no intention of ever picking him up again.

Wow, I'm such an MMO noob. I thought Blood Elves had been in WoW from the start! That's interesting.

Sounds like your character had a nice storyline and life. Smile Awesome conclusion.

RE: Who is your oldest/longest-surviving character? - Maril - 08-09-2017

My longest standing character is currently Thala'to, who is one of the three characters I created in rapid succession after the launch of ARR - so somewhere between 3½-Soon-4-years old. I have however had a short period of time where I did not play him actively. He was inspired and put into the world to be a side-kick of one of my friends characters, who now no longer plays (and haven't played for some years). He's got quite a lot of history because of the time I've spent playing on him, but I do not feel like he is at his end yet at all, there's still lots of potential for character progression. He may just be a concept that has a long viability.

RE: Who is your oldest/longest-surviving character? - Kaiverta - 08-09-2017

(08-09-2017, 08:35 AM)Maril Wrote: My longest standing character is currently Thala'to, who is one of the three characters I created in rapid succession after the launch of ARR - so somewhere between 3½-Soon-4-years old. I have however had a short period of time where I did not play him actively. He was inspired and put into the world to be a side-kick of one of my friends characters, who now no longer plays (and haven't played for some years). He's got quite a lot of history because of the time I've spent playing on him, but I do not feel like he is at his end yet at all, there's still lots of potential for character progression. He may just be a concept that has a long viability.

Oh, that sounds good. Smile

I have played characters for a couple of people in the past but it always ended in such a way that didn't really allow me to keep the character going, so I don't typically do it, anymore. It's not a hard and fast rule, just something that I'm not super eager to do.

Likewise I don't ask people to play characters for me anymore, though I might if it was a throwaway bad guy or something (even then, that's just NPCing for the most part). Again, due to yucky experiences. >.>

RE: Who is your oldest/longest-surviving character? - Eses Fafa - 08-09-2017

I mean..TECHNICALLY that'd be my tauren druid Nostrope, back in WoW. I mean I deleted him but he didn't die ICly.

RE: Who is your oldest/longest-played character? - Savo - 08-09-2017

Mine is this idiot....
[Image: cy6Fncw.jpg]
I have great fun playing her.

RE: Who is your oldest/longest-played character? - Maril - 08-09-2017

(08-09-2017, 09:48 AM)Kaiverta Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 08:35 AM)Maril Wrote: My longest standing character is currently Thala'to, who is one of the three characters I created in rapid succession after the launch of ARR - so somewhere between 3½-Soon-4-years old. I have however had a short period of time where I did not play him actively. He was inspired and put into the world to be a side-kick of one of my friends characters, who now no longer plays (and haven't played for some years). He's got quite a lot of history because of the time I've spent playing on him, but I do not feel like he is at his end yet at all, there's still lots of potential for character progression. He may just be a concept that has a long viability.

Oh, that sounds good. Smile

I have played characters for a couple of people in the past but it always ended in such a way that didn't really allow me to keep the character going, so I don't typically do it, anymore. It's not a hard and fast rule, just something that I'm not super eager to do.

Likewise I don't ask people to play characters for me anymore, though I might if it was a throwaway bad guy or something (even then, that's just NPCing for the most part). Again, due to yucky experiences. >.>

I definitely know those pains too. I think the key problem for me when it comes to asking others if they'd be interested in for example a relation, people don't really tend to own the character and solidify it enough to be able to play the character independently. It is as if played relations also have to mean the players play together a lot, which then doesn't hold up if one person stops. I think it's because I noticed these issues fairly early on in my roleplaying years that when I made Thala'to, as much as I made sure there would be shared history and ties, I poured as much effort into making sure that I also got to play the character on its own, developing ties/connections that ended up outlasting the player to which he was a side-kick.