Hydaelyn Role-Players
Regret not being in 1.2+ - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Regret not being in 1.2+ (/showthread.php?tid=2057)

Pages: 1 2

Regret not being in 1.2+ - Observant - 06-01-2013

I've just been reading on the changes to the game from the Seventh Umbral Era arc, and the more I read the more I regret not restarting the game when I wanted to last year. It seems like the approaching Dalamund must have been a sight to behold in game; I feel like I could just lie somewhere on the grass and stare at it all day.

Does anyone else have this feeling? 

And especially for those who experienced it ... I hate you guys. <3 Is it as awesome as I'm imagining in my head?

RE: Regret not being in 1.2+ - Arlon - 06-01-2013

I feel the same way. I should have stuck with it for longer. I played in the 1.0 beta and into release. I put it down after a few classes to level 10 and picked it back up when it went free to play. Still not impressed, I stopped playing again and now I wish I hadn't.

RE: Regret not being in 1.2+ - Renna - 06-01-2013

It was really cool. Dalamud started as just a tiny red pixel in the sky. With each patch it got closer and closer. For regular players, they treated the approach as just new content, and motivation to prepare for what was ahead with 2.0. I found myself leveling all the combat jobs to 50 as fast as I could. Then with the last few months, I was able to take in what we were a part of. We were literally watching the end of our world as we knew it. To those that didn't RP, they truly missed out on some great emotions and stories that most gamers will never get to experience. During the last battle, I remember being gathered close with my friends, fighting as if we had no tomorrow. In the end, the haunting music, and feeling of impending doom were all we were left with til the server shut down. The last cutscene made me cry...

Oops! I mean...No big deal. You didn't miss out on nothing Smile

RE: Regret not being in 1.2+ - Acistian - 06-01-2013

I would have liked to participate from the very beginning, but I can not regret, it is just a troubled word for me.

If at all right now, I am glad to wait, as my patience will pay off in the long run, because I will finally be able to participate then, hopefully meet a lot of you in-game, provide custom events to the community, and hopefully form some close, friendly bonds. Though, I hope you won't assume this as a negative approach to your topic, but just as an expression of my own thoughts.

RE: Regret not being in 1.2+ - Aysun - 06-01-2013

It was really an awesome experience to see the game evolve OOCly from a mechanics point of view. Seeing them introduce things based on what we wanted to make the game actually fun to play. 1.0 before they shut down was actually a very fun game that had potential on its own. The battle system was very fun with combos and the endgame content was challenging (though still infuriating, as endgame content can be). The fact that the devs kept feeding us amazing story and lore and huge updates that made the game more playable and fun to keep us entertained while they rebuilt it from the ground up made me feel awesome. Go SE!

ICly, it was something epic to experience. It was awesome watching the NPCs react (first appearance of the GM Archon warning us, starting up the Grand Companies, the Lambs of Dalamud cult etc.) and being a part of it all with our characters, seeing Dalamud get closer and more terrifying with every patch.. Dealing with the "end of the world" ICly and such.. hnng. Big Grin I love going through journals and seeing how characters dealt with the changes.

While you missed it, and it was indeed really fun, don't kick yourself too much!! ARR is going to have a lot of epicness you'll get to experience too!

RE: Regret not being in 1.2+ - Observant - 06-01-2013

Hehe, thank you everyone for the descriptions, ... I would say, this is something of an unique experience to, not only the genre, but to all gaming.

I mean, how often do you get to actually live /the end of the world/? ... and as a follow up to that, how often do you get to /keep playing/ after the cataclysmic changes have gone through the world and destroyed most of what you remember? (My my ... I did choose a terrible adjective there didn't I ...)

And Acistian, naturally you are right, it just feels like we'll almost be missing half our lives, =P given that as new players, I'm assuming, we probably won't be starting as the old heroes; but rather new ones. - Nothing wrong with that of course. XD

RE: Regret not being in 1.2+ - Eva - 06-01-2013

Most of how I felt has already been shared already so I won't parrot anyone aside from to say that it was a lot of fun to RP out!  Instead will just drop this little graphic:

[Image: FFXIV_Dalamud_120.jpg]

Things definitely got real as time progressed.  Bouncy

(06-01-2013, 04:41 PM)Eva Wrote: Most of how I felt has already been shared already so I won't parrot anyone aside from to say that it was a lot of fun to RP out!  Instead will just drop this little graphic:
Things definitely got real as time progressed.  Bouncy

I have nothing much more to say but "I love you. Marry me."

RE: Regret not being in 1.2+ - Ryanti - 06-01-2013

I came back for the final world-ending event, when Dalamund fell. I was there for the few days that the staff allowed normal non-legacy members to reactivate their account.

The most important thing I could say, was... do you know what Armageddon feels like?

The entire situation felt extremely dire. I saw Garlean airships fly across the night sky, the intimating Dalamund rock breaking atmosphere, giant processions of military battalions and people of all flocks, ages, and genders picking up what weapons they could feel and all taking positions in the cities and where the battlefield was in ready for the fight of their lives.

The music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZITw3Ub-K0 Imagine hearing that during a thunderstorm with Garlean airships everywhere. ) Was incredibly atmospheric in giving me a sense of dread, a sense of lost hope, a sense of every man woman and child holding a gun in their arms. Kind of like on the brink of losing a world war, except the war was against the world.

It was really a sense of, everyone knew they were going to die, the situation was incredibly dire, there was huge mobilizations and I had the sensation that I was a single individual that was scared and nervious as hell like a little child, but knew that I had to do something, I had to not just die. I had to do something and die doing something.

OOC'ly, it was the best moment I've had in a MMO since Star Wars Galaxies. I mean.. people logged onto the server for the first time in years like myself and.. the entire server (I was on Balmung of course) unified. It was an entire community effort. I last saw that in Galaxies almost ten years ago. People were marching. Marching. Entire guilds with hundreds of members marched. Giant processions of people marched. In all directions, to all of the cities and the impact zone. I was a part of that too. Surreal.

And then the hoards came.

So that was how it was.

Really surreal. Blew my mind. Props to Square Enix for making it so atmospheric. It was incredible. It REALLY felt like the end of everything. The world, your life, everything. Armageddon.

I wish I could live through it again.

RE: Regret not being in 1.2+ - Uther - 06-01-2013

Damn. It sounds like I missed a great experience. I find myself wondering how Uther Skystrider would've reacted to that. I brought it up in his wiki very lightly, but without actually experiencing it, I can't really attach much emotion to it for him. What a shame. 

Hopefully us new guys will get to make up for it with some great stuff come ARR launch.

(06-01-2013, 06:36 PM)Ryanti Wrote: The entire situation felt extremely dire. I saw Garlean airships fly across the night sky, the intimating Dalamund rock breaking atmosphere, giant processions of military battalions and people of all flocks, ages, and genders picking up what weapons they could feel and all taking positions in the cities and where the battlefield was in ready for the fight of their lives.

It was really a sense of, everyone knew they were going to die, the situation was incredibly dire, there was huge mobilizations and I had the sensation that I was a single individual that was scared and nervious as hell like a little child, but knew that I had to do something, I had to not just die. I had to do something and die doing something.

That's what I mean. Being there for with the rest of the world, knowing that mostly everyone will probably die... That must have been an amazing atmosphere. Though thinking back to it, I am kind of glad it is an unique event and that it won't ever happen again. After all, this kind of end-of-the-world event can only happen once.

RE: Regret not being in 1.2+ - Merri - 06-01-2013

It really was something to watch the game and world evolve around you leading up to the very end. Each patch pretty much had my on the edge of my seat, eager to see what was going to unfold next. Suffice it to say, while the final event in-game was rather disappointing due to the extreme lag, the "ending" to the Seventh Umbral Era (That being the cutscene) was amazing. It was incredibly immersive, realizing that my character, alongside countless others from the RPC, were technically somewhere in the midst of all that chaos.

It was fun. Also gave me the opportunity to snap what would become one of my favorite screenshots of 1.0.
Show Content

Okay, maybe I edited it a tiny bit.

RE: Regret not being in 1.2+ - Acistian - 06-01-2013

(06-01-2013, 03:55 PM)Observant Wrote: And Acistian, naturally you are right, it just feels like we'll almost be missing half our lives, =P given that as new players, I'm assuming, we probably won't be starting as the old heroes; but rather new ones. - Nothing wrong with that of course. XD

No, there isn't anything wrong with being new, if anything, perhaps it would give some pride or enjoyment out of older heroes watching us grow and develop our character's strengths, personalities, and experiences.
As well as joy of our own in partaking of future events.

RE: Regret not being in 1.2+ - Ronberku - 06-02-2013

What I really loved about it all, were the many discussions on the forum and in linkshell chat when people noticed for the first time how the lesser moon had become slightly bigger. While S-E kept their mouths shut during 1.19 and 1.20.

People were going "I'm sure it's bigger than before." while others were that sure until pictures popped up but we were still left in the dark as to what it meant. Nael Van Darnus controlled by a GM began popping up at one of the camps at Thanalan(outside of uldah). And telling his prophecy.

Over time things began to slowly but surely become clear. People going crazy on the forum(in a manner of speak) when patch 1.21 was released and we finally caught a good glimpse of dalamud descending. It was just awesome afterwards to see it become larger and larger. And all the fights leading to the final confrontation with Nael. That I also recorded and placed on my youtube channel.

Anyway some screenshots to show some of the things that happened during the final stages.

Meanwile Aysun was in her Inn. Safe and Warm. During the final battle lol. (Check chat log on the last screenshot XD)

Show Content

RE: Regret not being in 1.2+ - Aysun - 06-02-2013

(06-02-2013, 04:35 AM)Ronberku Wrote: Nael Van Darnus controlled by a GM began popping up at one of the camps at Thanalan(outside of uldah). And telling his prophecy.

Urianger was that GM, not Nael. Lol. xD

[Image: AIbHJkM.jpg]

And man, that final night.. I got DC'd when I was in Mor Dhona and every time I managed to get back in and where the fighting was I lagged out again. ;-; It was awwwwfuuul. Finally I was like screw dis and waited in my inn room. xD