Hydaelyn Role-Players
Should i change my name after the Eternal Bond? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Should i change my name after the Eternal Bond? (/showthread.php?tid=20611)

Should i change my name after the Eternal Bond? - Y'kovuTia - 09-19-2017

Hi! I'm new to this forum and i'm not native english speaker so i hope i don't make too many errors.
I have a doubt about how should i act after my eternal bonding.
I'm a male Seeker and i'm going to marry a Female Miqo te.
I don't do much rp but i like keeping at least a background for my charachter lore friendly.
So with the eternal bond how should my name change?
Now is Y'kovu Tia of course, from what i understand i cannot be the Nunh of the "Y" clan so if i wanna be a nunh i should start a new clan, for example becoming Ya'kovu Nunh? Or i'm missing something?
Or i should just ignore the Nunh thing and keeping my original name?
Any advice?

RE: Should i change my name after the Eternal Bond? - Valence - 09-19-2017

It mostly depends on if your characters live a tribal life or not.

In sunseeker tribes there is not really any eternal bonding since it works under harem structures organized around one or several males (nunhs). The eternal bond is just a social construct like a wedding is IRL. 

Now then you also have numerous miqo'te that actually don't live in tribes (and I'm starting to suspect it might even be a majority from the portrayal we see ingame), and those seem to flow more freely regarding traditions. A lot of them are integrated into the daily lives of other races in cities and seem to have forgotten partially or totally about Sunseeker harems.

I recall a few examples like in Ala-Ghiri during Stormblood (which is the most recent memory of it I can remember, but hardly the only one) where several ala-mighan sunseeker females are shown to live in your standard family, or even pledge to live their lives with a single partner (cf the quest with the Garlean centurio sheltered in that same city).

In short, whatever you choose to do can potentially be justified by lore if your sunseeker acts outside of a tribe. Some might still follow tribal traditions and harems, some might comform to more hyuran customs, or even local ones!

Unfortunately I don't have many sources or don't recall well how weddings or eternal bonds are handled all across Eorzea and if a partner takes the last name of the other one, or not. The main issue being that most NPCs ingame are rarely portrayed with their last names, or at best, with titles. And actual married couples are even rarer.

Keep in mind that if you want to play a tribal sunseeker, there can sometimes be several Nunhs in tribes when those are large enough (above 10 females per Nunh or so).

In any case, naming conventions seem to only cover the case of children so...

RE: Should i change my name after the Eternal Bond? - Y'kovuTia - 09-20-2017

I picture my character as a Miqo'te that has abandoned almost entirely his original tribe way of life, but still he values the importance of traditions as a cultural thing, so maybe changing name into Ya'kovu Nunh is a way to respect those traditions without upsetting anyone.
The first name will pronounce the same so that's a sort of link to my character origins
Sounds legit to you?

RE: Should i change my name after the Eternal Bond? - ExAtomos - 09-20-2017

You can absolutely leave and form your own tribe. My personal understanding is that there are different groups of the Y tribe (for example) that are not all in the same place and have their own nunh.

"Young males are born and raised as 'tia', and most either assume the position of nunh by challenging and defeating as existing nunh in single combat, or leave the community to find a harem of his own."

There is one thing though... do you intend to have a harem? If you are going to have one mate only, you are not a nunh for all intents and purposes. ^^; In this case, you could stay tia or just take another name entirely that means something to you.

RE: Should i change my name after the Eternal Bond? - Y'kovuTia - 09-20-2017

Probably my character will remain monogamous, so the nunh title is only for those with an harem? not for any male miqo'te allowed to reproduce? If so i should keep my name then.

RE: Should i change my name after the Eternal Bond? - Gegenji - 09-20-2017

The title of Nunh is indeed just for the males of a full tribe that are allowed to breed. If you've denounced the tribal life altogether, then the Tia/Nunh dichotomy doesn't really exist for you. So, there shouldn't be any need to change the name unless you're either starting up a new branch of the tribe or you're continuing to distance yourself from the tribal life by taking a new last name... perhaps one to share with your spouse.

Basically, you're just fine leaving it as Tia. Thumbsup