Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Mateus] Young Seeker of the Sun Seeks Adventure, Wonderment, and Profit - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Making Connections (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: [Mateus] Young Seeker of the Sun Seeks Adventure, Wonderment, and Profit (/showthread.php?tid=20748)

Young Seeker of the Sun Seeks Adventure, Wonderment, and Profit - S'hatsuho Kheda - 10-15-2017

Hello everyone!  I am a returning player to Eorzea and I am looking for contacts for my young Seeker of the Sun character concept.  Before we get to my little Seeker however, I'd like to go over a few quick points about me, the player, my role playing habits, and gaming habits.

A Little About Me
  • I have many years of role playing experience and can easily produce multi-paragraph posts to match what is going on around me.  That said, I prefer to keep such replies to out-of-game RP mediums such as Skype, Discord, Personal Messages, or Google Docs.  In-game, I prefer to produce shorter, more concise posts due to the in-game character limit, particularly when there are multiple people in the area trying to role play.
  • In relation to the above bullet point, I have Discord and am willing to share my contact there with friends for the purposes of out-of-game contact and/or role play.
  • I live in the Eastern-Standard timezone.  That's GMT -4 (-5 during daylight savings).  I mention this simply for scheduling matters for events and such.  This also ties into my next point...
  • I work Monday through Thursday in a second-shift position, while working first shift on Friday.  My schedule itself is a little unpredictable however, as I do not work in a job where I have a set quitting time.  My job is done when my work for the day is finished, not when the time clock hits a certain hour.  This makes scheduling events through the week a hopeless effort for me, but it does mean that my weekends are wide open with no chance that I will be scheduled to work a Saturday or Sunday.  *Exact hours of my schedule are readily available by request.*
  • I enjoy all aspects of most MMOs, and FFXIV is no different.  I will be partaking in RP, PvE, and PvP in equal measures.  Friends are always welcome to join me in these activities.
  • I also play a plethora of other games!  If you have me on Discord and you see me playing a different game that you also play, friends will always be welcome to join me in this so long as my party is not full.
With all of that said, let's move on to my little miqo'te!

Name:  S'hatsuho Kheda

Name Pronunciation (Minus the Miqo'te Racial Hissing):  Suh-hat-soo-ho Kay-duh

A Brief Introduction to S'hatsuho

S'hatsuho is a young miqo'te who is still coming into her own.  At (roughly) the mental and physical maturity of a sixteen year old human, she feels as though she has a lot to prove and she's finally of age to leave her tribe behind on a pilgrimage that is held sacred to her people.  More on this later.

She has grown up hearing tales from her mother and older sisters of the world beyond the horizon of their island home - tales of adventure and wonders both natural and manufactured.  These tales made her long to leave home and see them for herself, but she does not aspire to leave her people behind forever.

S'hatsuho is very attached to her home and to her culture.  She would never outright abandon her people, but she possesses a wanderer's heart.  She will return home now and then to check in, bring gifts of wealth and materials back to her village, and to reconnect.  This is the way of her people.  This is the nature of her pilgrimage.

It is this connection with her people, combined with her desire to see the world, that defines S'hatsuho and the way that she has lived her life.  Deciding at a young age that she would one day leave on one of these sacred pilgrimages, S'hatsuho has lived her life on that premise.  She has trained with the tribe's hunters and fishers from a young age, learning skills that she would need to survive on her own.  She has learned how to cook hearty meals from her mother and older sisters so that she would not go hungry.  She sparred with the tribe's warriors so that she would be able to defend herself.  She has always worked towards self-sufficiency, should she need to be.

Despite her young age, she has grown into one of her tribe's most valuable providers, excelling in the arts of the hunt as well as being a well-respected fisher and forager for the tribe.  Her skills as a warrior are also commendable, boasting skills with the lance and greataxe that betray her age with a respectable grasp on archery to boot.

S'hatsuho has lived her life for this moment - the moment she would leave home.

A Brief Introduction to Her Tribe

S'hatsuho hails from a tribe of Seekers of the Sun who observe the cloudkin totem of the Zu, and who (obviously) take their tribal label from the Eorzean alphabet's 'S'.

Her village's ancestral stories tell of how their sept came to be long ago, when a hunting party of the ancestral Zu tribe encountered one of these powerful beasts while hunting in La Noscea.  They grounded the creature with ropes, but when a handful of their hunters clumb atop the great avian beast, it broke free from its bonds and flew out over the great sea with the miqo'te hunters still atop its back.

The beast landed on the largest island of an archipelago off of the southern shores of La Noscea, where the hunting pack then claimed their prey before realizing that they were now stranded.  These were the founding members of S'hatsuho's sept of the Zu tribe - according to tribal legend, at least.

The sept has since grown quite large.  In present day, the sept consists of three villages, one of each of the three largest islands of the archipelago.  Each village has it's own Nunh, but the tribal elders that govern the sept as a whole oversee all who call the islands home.

S'hatsuho's people are hunters, gatherers, and fisherman.  Agriculture is not a large part of their way of life due to the soil of the islands being composed largely of sand and clay, leaving limited fertile farmland on the islands.  That is not to say that there is none at all, but it is highly valued and closely regulated by the tribe.  Only essential crops are grown on the island.  They cannot afford to waste space on luxury crops such as sugar or spice.

This is where the sept's sacred pilgrimages come to help.  Again, there will be more on this later.

The sept's relations with the nearby city of Limsa Lominsa, and by direct correlation, the Maelstrom, are somewhat tenuous.  Needless to say, with these miqo'te making their homes out at sea and having developed into a seafaring breed of their own, their history is fraught with conflicts with the pirates and brigands that self-proclaimed that region their domain.

Still, with the founding of the Maelstrom and the construction of Limsa Lominsa, these relations were soothed somewhat.  The pirates that once attempted to raid the miqo'te villages are now valuable trading partners, bringing valuable resources onto the islands in greater number than the pilgrims ever could.  In exchange, the merchants gain access to the many hidden wonders of the islands that they were once chased from as pirates, as well as handcrafted island trinkets, of which Limsa Lominsa has a few wealthy collectors.

A Brief Introduction to the Pilgrimage of Zu

No one can recall when the pilgrimage became such an important part of the tribe's culture.  It has existed for as long as their written accounts of their history, and it is believed to have been a part of their culture from the day the sept learned to craft water-faring vessels.  As far as any of the modern tribesman can tell, it has been with them since the time that their ancestors came to the islands.

The pilgrimage is a sacred ritual and coming of age trial that serves many purposes.

First and foremost, the pilgrimage maintains its original purpose of honoring the spirit of the migratory Zu, the tribe's totemic protector who is known for its own voyages across great distances. To this end, it is seen as a journey of spiritual growth in which the pilgrim attains wisdom of the world that they could never learn on the tribe's island shores alone.

It later came to be recognized as a rite of passage for the young. Females who journey from the tribe's shores as a pilgrim are seen as prized mates by the Nunhs, and Tia who never leave the island's shores can never challenge a Nunh for his title. Only after a Tia has seen the world, will his tribe acknowledge him as strong or worthy enough to sire the next generation.

Lastly, it is common practice for the pilgrims to bring gifts back to the tribe from the world beyond the horizon. This act serves as a way to bring small amounts of wealth and rare materials to their village. In this way, each successful pilgrimage improves the life of not only the pilgrim, but it also serves to better the sept as a whole.

There are no tribal taboos that stagmatize a pilgrim who ventures from the island multiple times. This practice is actually quite common among  Tia, who may undergo several pilgrimages before they feel that they have the strength to take the title of Nunh. Tia who do this, and who claim the right to breed, are highly valued as Nunh by the tribe's females. Likewise, females who take multiple pilgrimages before settling down on the island are highly valued by the Nunh as mates.

The only restriction placed on this pilgrimage is on the Nunh. Since a Nunh could obviously not perform his duties to the tribe if he were not on the island, males may not embark on a pilgrimage after claiming the title of Nunh. If they wish to make this journey, they must wait until they are overcome by a Tia, and their duties are passed to another.

So them's the basics!  I tried to make sure there was a lot of potential hooks built into S'hatsuho and tried to make sure that she was designed with open-mindedness and an inquisitive nature to make role playing with her quite easy, while still clinging to that tribal feel of a traditional miqo'te.

There are bound to be a ton of different ways that just about anyone could meet and greet her!  So what are you waiting for!?  Every big, bad hero needs an adorable sidekick!

RE: Young Seeker of the Sun Seeks Adventure, Wonderment, and Profit - S'hatsuho Kheda - 01-26-2018

Bump!  I am back in Eorzea and my little Miqo'te is looking for heroes that need an adorable sidekick!