Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung] Back to Bökh - Xaela Wrestling & Feast! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Roleplay Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+---- Forum: Chronicled Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Balmung] Back to Bökh - Xaela Wrestling & Feast! (/showthread.php?tid=20758)

Pages: 1 2

Back to Bökh - Xaela Wrestling & Feast! - Oyuu - 10-16-2017

[Image: tumblr_oxxvutTtqG1v24c7yo1_1280.png]

The Game of Dawn Thrones Discord is hosting our first public RP event on Balmung - Back to Bökh! Join us for a traditional Xaela wrestling tournament where you can show off your strength, whether you are from the Azim Steppes yourself or a foreigner who wishes to try out a new sport. The wrestling tournament will be followed up by a feast where everyone is welcome to bring a dish from their homeland to share.

We will be using Grindstone rules, and there’s an opportunity to win gil and art prizes! No weapons are to be used, and it is heavily encouraged you dress in traditional Bökh attire (aka the Moonfaire Shuisei style swimsuit).

Server? Balmung

When?  5th November 2017 at 6:00pm EST 

Where? The Azim Steppe (34.2, 29.3)

For more info, click here or please contact me here or in-game at Oyuu Dataq. Thanks for reading!

RE: Back to Bökh - Xaela Wrestling & Feast! - Oyuu - 11-03-2017

Casual bump to remind people this is happening this weekend! Big Grin Hope to see you all there.

RE: Back to Bökh - Xaela Wrestling & Feast! - Zhavi - 11-03-2017

CAN THERE BE HORSE/CHOCOBO RACING AND ARCHERY CONTESTS NEXT

this is cool, I hope it goes well. <3

and then a traditional mongolian naadam pls pls pls

RE: Back to Bökh - Xaela Wrestling & Feast! - Oyuu - 11-05-2017

(11-03-2017, 07:11 PM)Zhavi Wrote: CAN THERE BE HORSE/CHOCOBO RACING AND ARCHERY CONTESTS NEXT

this is cool, I hope it goes well. <3

and then a traditional mongolian naadam pls pls pls

Thank you! We're hopefully going to run events like the ones you mentioned in the near future, especially if the Back to Bökh tournament goes down well! Please stay tuned. ^^

RE: Back to Bökh - Xaela Wrestling & Feast! - Zhu - 11-06-2017

It's a great initiative but there were a few things that struck me as thematically incoherent:

The MSQ really presses on the fact that Xaela tribes (especially thoss that care of tradition) do not trust outsiders very much and a whole plotline is dedicated to earn that trust. And while the deeds of the WoL did inspire some progressiveness I still think that they would hesitate to include outsiders in an event like this unless they prooved themselves worthy of beign warriors of the steppes.

Moreover, the survival of the fittest mentality that steppes xaela have in lore seems to discourage a loser's bracket. Once defeated, you are bested and you'll be ztronger next time. I don't sse it as beign mean to people but it's just hos the theme of the race is presented. Just my two cents, of course.

If this community is to host a fully fledged Nadaam, staying true to the lore and the culture or each tribe should be a priority over appeasing to everyone. Outsiders could still make some sort of trial or even go through the same process the NPCs did to proove themselves to the tribes, so long as it's acknowledged that events like this are a big deal for each xaela.

Just my personal feedback, of course. I can still see why people prefered to not have it be race-specific and include everyone. Still a fun event.

PS. Typos because I'm on the phone.

RE: Back to Bökh - Xaela Wrestling & Feast! - Hixxi - 11-06-2017

Hi Zhu I RP Alakhai Qalli and was one of the organisers for this so let me answer your concerns thusly:

(11-06-2017, 03:47 AM)Zhu Wrote: It's a great initiative but there were a few things that struck me as thematically incoherent:

The MSQ really presses on the fact that Xaela tribes (especially thoss that care of tradition) do not trust outsiders very much and a whole plotline is dedicated to earn that trust. And while the deeds of the WoL did inspire some progressiveness I still think that they would hesitate to include outsiders in an event like this unless they prooved themselves worthy of beign warriors of the steppes.

Characters involved have been around a while - I am sure that some of the participants and spectators have Eorzean friends but that was actually the point of this event - to foster foreign relations by sharing a Xaela pasttime and significant cultural event with outsider friends amongst the PCs present. I don't think it matters if the vast majority of the Steppe's residents would shake their heads at such tomfoolery because it's a player led event for players.

(11-06-2017, 03:47 AM)Zhu Wrote: Moreover, the survival of the fittest mentality that steppes xaela have in lore seems to discourage a loser's bracket. Once defeated, you are bested and you'll be ztronger next time. I don't sse it as beign mean to people but it's just hos the theme of the race is presented. Just my two cents, of course.

Loser's bracket was created on the fly because we had an uneven amount of people wanted to play and it was OOCly unfair to have people just skip rounds. I don't think it's very xaela to just throw someone into a final when the other person had to take on extra fights to be honest. If you're interested in how the brackets worked out, here's my spreadsheet from the event:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/107sQOi-vgL_PvhdfRsL5pywJK0-lnJO5hyqGCtqPDXY/

(11-06-2017, 03:47 AM)Zhu Wrote: If this community is to host a fully fledged Nadaam, staying true to the lore and the culture or each tribe should be a priority over appeasing to everyone. Outsiders could still make some sort of trial or even go through the same process the NPCs did to proove themselves to the tribes, so long as it's acknowledged that events like this are a big deal for each xaela.

There's been literally no talk of us hosting a fully fledged Nadaam so I'm not sure where this idea has come from. But regardless, as most tribes have two sentences worth of lore any such claims are purely headcanon and people can do that however they want. In the case of this event, the most important thing WAS including other people and I'm glad that we had an excellent mix of xaela and not.

(11-06-2017, 03:47 AM)Zhu Wrote: Just my personal feedback, of course. I can still see why people prefered to not have it be race-specific and include everyone. Still a fun event.

Again, reiterating, the entire point of the event was to foster outside friendships and it not be race-specific.

RE: Back to Bökh - Xaela Wrestling & Feast! - Wemrys - 11-06-2017

First off I want to say it was a neat event. I'm glad more folks are picking up on Othardian customs in general and using them for events and I'd love to see more. Heck my FC would be glad to do something similar as well given we've been doing some Othardian styled events (see Chrysanthemum Festival and the upcoming Moon Viewing).

(11-06-2017, 03:47 AM)Zhu Wrote: It's a great initiative but there were a few things that struck me as thematically incoherent:

Moreover, the survival of the fittest mentality that steppes xaela have in lore seems to discourage a loser's bracket. Once defeated, you are bested and you'll be ztronger next time. I don't sse it as beign mean to people but it's just hos the theme of the race is presented. Just my two cents, of course.

If this community is to host a fully fledged Nadaam, staying true to the lore and the culture or each tribe should be a priority over appeasing to everyone. Outsiders could still make some sort of trial or even go through the same process the NPCs did to proove themselves to the tribes, so long as it's acknowledged that events like this are a big deal for each xaela.

Just my personal feedback, of course. I can still see why people prefered to not have it be race-specific and include everyone. Still a fun event.

I may not have had a hand in organizing this but I do get where you're coming from here. I got the sense that if we're going to include non-xaela in an event like this, the Steppe while thematically appropriate is not the best place for it to be done due to the lore clash. Granted it was done right outside of Reunion so it could be said that it was approved by the Qestir as an event under their rules and tolerance for outsiders so on the other hand the event works as is.

This creates the question of if they or anyone else were to run such an event on Eorzean soil would it have as much participation from the xaela players whose characters might be Steppe-bound? Would this essentially create the same problem in the opposite sense? (i.e. "why run a xaela centered event outside of the Steppe?")

There needs to be a compromise somewhere in the middle...I know when my FC runs Doman styled events it's done in Eorzea with the idea of "bringing the Far East to the West" as a sort of culture trade. That logic applied to last night's event, my character explained that perhaps the whole reason outsiders not being run off of the Steppe by native Steppe-dwellers was because foreign trade was picking up and the xaela while still being very wary of outsiders WOULD like access to foreign steel to give them an edge in combat.

(11-06-2017, 10:09 AM)Wemrys Wrote: I got the sense that if we're going to include non-xaela in an event like this, the Steppe while thematically appropriate is not the best place for it to be done due to the lore clash. Granted it was done right outside of Reunion so it could be said that it was approved by the Qestir as an event under their rules and tolerance for outsiders so on the other hand the event works as is.

That's pretty much why we picked Reunion-ish. Reunion is a place set up specifically where anyone can come, xaela or not. The NPCs there are very friendly to outsiders for the most part - even the ding dong character trying to sell weapons is mildly tolerated despite his shenanigans. However fighting is disallowed so we went just outside of Reunion which was great! Partly because the Steppe is a higher level questing zone and we needed a place where mobs were not going to spawn.

(11-06-2017, 10:09 AM)Wemrys Wrote: This creates the question of if they or anyone else were to run such an event on Eorzean soil would it have as much participation from the xaela players whose characters might be Steppe-bound? Would this essentially create the same problem in the opposite sense? (i.e. "why run a xaela centered event outside of the Steppe?")

Who knows? I encourage people to do an Eorzean tournament! Someone could say their xaela is a bit homesick, bokh is a hobby of theirs and they want to share it with their new friends. Boom. Done.

(11-06-2017, 10:09 AM)Wemrys Wrote: There needs to be a compromise somewhere in the middle...I know when my FC runs Doman styled events it's done in Eorzea with the idea of "bringing the Far East to the West" as a sort of culture trade. That logic applied to last night's event, my character explained that perhaps the whole reason outsiders not being run off of the Steppe by native Steppe-dwellers was because foreign trade was picking up and the xaela while still being very wary of outsiders WOULD like access to foreign steel to give them an edge in combat.

Go you. I imagine everyone had their personal IC reasons for being there and I can't speak for attendees. But in the end I think we had about 50 people show up for this and if the community had a good time? Then I'm happy no matter how many people are going to get bent out of shape about how they personally interpret lore. The problem is is that we don't have a lot of it, and everyone is going to see it a little differently and fill in the blanks how they feel it should be done. But until SE publishes a three hundred page xaela almanac I'm proud of running this event and the people who came to it were great and I'm happy, in my opinion, that it was as lore accurate ICly as we could make it.

10/10 experience would host again.

To be clear I wasn't criticizing the event. Mostly just stating the viewpoint in how I saw it compared to Zhu's post. I felt that the compromise between written Steppe lore and how it worked nicely due to being close to Reunion worked well. I had a good time overall and honestly would not have asked for anything to change because it could be easily justified in a myriad of ways is mostly my point here. My character had his view on why it worked the way it did, I'm sure other characters did too. 10/10 indeed.

I didn't say you were criticising it. I'm adding clarity and extra commentary to the points you raised.

No worries! It's just a mild misunderstanding of tone. #InternetTextDiscussionProblems

RE: Back to Bökh - Xaela Wrestling & Feast! - Zhu - 11-06-2017

If cultural exchange was the main focus I would host one in Eorzea, then. Characters that dont know much about xaela culture likely wont cross the continent for a few hours of brawls, but if the event comes to them there will be more foreigners to check it out, spawn an interest to trade oversea etc. ICly speaking I think it works best for that purpose.

Xaela turnament on the xaela lands..Xaela audience. My character was there to reconnect with her origins but got confused at all the Domans, Gridanians and whatnot partecipating and beating the natives. I'm talking about a purely IC perspective ofc. Not saying what you should or should not do. Just a different perspective.

(11-06-2017, 10:56 AM)Zhu Wrote: If cultural exchange was the main focus I would host one in Eorzea, then. Characters that dont know much about xaela culture likely wont cross the continent for a few hours of brawls, but if the event comes to them there will be more foreigners to check it out, spawn an interest to trade oversea etc. ICly speaking I think it works best for that purpose.

We might do that in the future and had a conversation about where to host it initially prior to setting this all up but the characters that were ICly hosting are Steppe bound. Think of it like this: Japanese people set up cultural events in other countries where foreigners can come and participate in unique traditions like tea ceremonies, wearing kimono, learning about shinto and history etc. etc. but if you're interested in learning the most about Japan you'd take a trip to the actual country and look for events that welcomed foreigners!

That's what this was, a group of xaela wanting to share a cultural sport with visitors to foster understanding and exchange.

(11-06-2017, 10:56 AM)Zhu Wrote: Xaela turnament on the xaela lands..Xaela audience. My character was there to reconnect with her origins but got confused at all the Domans, Gridanians and whatnot partecipating and beating the natives. I'm talking about a purely IC perspective ofc. Not saying what you should or should not do. Just a different perspective.

We were very clear on all the signposting around that we did for this both OOC and IC that this was intended to be a casual event for all. I'm not really sure what else I can tell you. You're saying that this is an IC perspective. Okay. Well bring it up ICly then. This is an OOC thread for OOC discussion and you have only phrased yourself in an OOC context. And I am telling you that, OOCly, this was specifically an event for all characters and has been ever since it's inception.

RE: Back to Bökh - Xaela Wrestling & Feast! - Iron Bride - 11-06-2017

Personally, I thought it was fun, and wished my character wasn't unable to participate at the time beyond watching, so thanks!  I was glad the Uragshi got a chance to try and "defend the title" from the last time someone organized a bokh out there.  Smile

As for whether non-Xaela should have been allowed, I feel like post-MSQ events, it doesn't make a huge amount of sense for the area near Reunion to feel closed off to outsiders and I didn't have a problem with their inclusion.   The vast majority of the crowd was Xaela or connected to Xaela via backstory for one reason or another anyway.  Now if we'd been wrestling on top of the Dawn Throne, that would be a different argument, I think!   But the Qestir don't seem to have a lot to say (har har) about outsiders that don't act in a way that disrupts the peace.

RE: Back to Bökh - Xaela Wrestling & Feast! - Zhavi - 11-06-2017

Given the number of Xaela tribes (and the fact that the devs have said there are more than our canon listed ones), it makes sense to me that interior tribes are more reclusive and exterior tribes (especially trader ones or ones that have settled) are more open to outsiders.

I don't see a reason why you couldn't have an exterior or intermingled tribe hosting a more open event. Remember, for all the Xaela centric lore we got in the MSQ, there are still a ton of tribes and cultural nuances we didn't see. That leaves some wriggle room. And while not everyone is comfortable operating within wriggle room, you know, I think it's not going to break the lore to play in it now and then.