Hydaelyn Role-Players
~Marisa opens a street stall~ [open rp] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: ~Marisa opens a street stall~ [open rp] (/showthread.php?tid=20789)

Pages: 1 2

~Marisa opens a street stall~ [open rp] - Marisa - 10-20-2017

Amidst the frenzy of trade and labor typical of Limsan docks just after sunrise, a young girl drags what appears to be an old wooden door onto the pier. The effort is tremendous for her, though few seem to pay any mind to her struggle. Having found a satisfactory spot, she lays the oversized board on the ground and briefly disappears. Within moments, she returns with one barrel, then another. It becomes clear that she is constructing a makeshift table. 

Upon her fourth trip to the pier, she is carrying an quilt of impressive size, held as though it were a sack and thrown across her shoulder. She hefts the quilt upon the table and unfurls the corners to reveal what most would think a pile of garbage. 

Having spread the quilt as though it were a table cloth, the girl rearranges her pile of trinkets so as to take up the entire surface. The assortment is truly random, with the only unifying trait being that each item is something that glints, gleams, or glows in the sunlight. Scraps of metal, bits of crystal, junk materia, loose coins, the like. There is, however, the occasional item of potential worth, things you might expect to find hidden in some ancient tomb, not meant for the eyes of the living. How this girl, barely older than a child, acquired any of it is rather unclear. 

Placed on each piece, artifact or junk, is a sticker denoting a price in gil. To anyone who didn't understand her thought process, these prices would seem entirely arbitrary, though most are insignificant sums of gil. 

With a look of mostly undeserved pride, she takes her place behind the table and sets a small wooden plank before her. On the scrap of wood are crudely carved letters filled in with a deep red paint, 

"Marisa's Shop"

[note to potential participants! What you find at the stall is almost entirely up to you, but it has to be something shiny and small enough to fit in a shoe box. Marisa also has rather questionable methods for obtaining her wares, so anything you've had go missing recently could very well be on this table.]

RE: ~Marisa opens a street stall~ [open rp] - Kieron Lohengrin - 10-24-2017

The sea spray of Limsa was a welcome escape from the enclosed stone of the Maelstrom officers' chamber. The man chuckled as he breathed deep of the morning air, shaking his head as he recalled how the meeting had gone on past midnight - and well into dawn. One hand resting on the katana at his hip, he briskly began making his way back to the inn.

So, is it considered breakfast or dinner if I chow down then crash after this? He stepped down the walkway, weaving past the growing bustle of traders and locals just beginning their day. The Highlander was always happy to lend his consultation when the Grand Companies had questions - but the travel back and forth between Shirogane and Vylbrand, even by aetheryte, always led to strange hours.

On the verge of deciding to call it breakfast and passing out anyway, he slowed his pace, surveying the hawkers and their wares. The sunlight gleam on one of the tables caught his eye, as he stopped and studied the odds and ends nested in the table quilt. As the miqo'te lass' expectant gaze met his own, he reached down and picked up what appeared to be a fragmented piece of Allagan junk.

Schezar knew a children's toy when he saw one, though. There tended to be a surprising number of them amidst all the other remnants of the ancient civilization. He set the top down on the wood of the table, at the edge of the quilt, and gave it a spin. As the top spun perfectly in place, he glanced back at Marisa. "How much for this one?"

Show Content

RE: ~Marisa opens a street stall~ [open rp] - Kallera - 10-27-2017

Show Content
Etoile had some time yet before traveling to Gridania. Ever since her citizenship had been under investigation the duskwight adventurer began thinking about other places to live, in case Sir Talian's efforts truly turned south and she had to leave forever.

And even if Etoile did stay, the sword on her back was ever a responsibility.

For the first time Limsa truly seemed like such a place she could move to. The sea breeze felt like a calling to the ocean, and she knew plenty of friends who stayed at the Mist. Etoile stopped by the stalls to browse the shops, which has changed considerably since her last visit. Including one that stuck out, looking like a child's stall. I didn't know they had these! Oh that's adorable! she thought.

Walking up to the bench, she had a closer look at the baubles that were at Marisa's stall. Nearby was a man with a military bearing, and a clear lack of sleep. She browsed silently. Keeping an ear to the man beside her.

RE: ~Marisa opens a street stall~ [open rp] - Marisa - 10-31-2017

Marisa's eyes beamed as Schezar approached her stall. She wasn't expecting customers so quickly, and in her mind someone with such a sharp-looking outfit must have lots of money. As Schezar played with the toy, he inquired with Marisa about the price.  

"Well that one is pretty rare, and it wasn't easy to come by," said Marisa. She began making grand gestures with her arms as though she were regaling Schezar with an epic tale. "You see, I was digging around around the lake with the big dragon-balloon when I hit this with my shovel. I was pretty excited, as you can imagine! Not everyday you find a super ancient Agaladan relic. This was clearly a highly advanced balancing device for... I dunno, but it'll spin forever basically!"  

As Marisa said this, the toy fell over on it's side. Marisa stared at it in disbelief.  

"Well, it's pretty old so it's not going to be working 100%. Still, it's a pretty important piece of history, and I had to run away from a giant frog after I found it, meaning I have to factor in hazard pay. So I can't possibly give it to you for less than... what's the sticker say... 9 Gil!"   

Marisa stares intently at Schezar and awaits his reply.

RE: ~Marisa opens a street stall~ [open rp] - Kieron Lohengrin - 11-01-2017

Schezar held back a chuckle, and listened closely to her tall tale with a bemused smile, glancing over at Etoile as she browsed the wares beside him. As the story concluded, he looked away from the elezen woman and back to Marisa's expectant face with a mild nod.

"9 gil sounds plenty fair, miss. Tell you what - I'm visitin' my brother's little ones in a day or two, soon as I catch some shut-eye. Two nieces and a nephew. Got any more little Agala-- ahem, Allag relics like these they could tinker with?" He gave the other odds and ends on her table another relaxed look, poking a couple of them with a finger.

"They're at that age where they fire off all their questions at a malm a minute, and treasures like these just blow their minds. Toys, dollies, old tech... anythin' smallish they could take apart and put back together again would be grand."

RE: ~Marisa opens a street stall~ [open rp] - Polyitsaux - 11-01-2017

An immensely tall Elezen woman appears from behind Schezar like a spider on the wall, impossible to say how long she’s been there for. A moment, an hour. A year. Her reedy frame is encased in acres of sapphire blue silk, her torso held ramrod straight by a corset. Stiff fabric cascades from her narrow waist, looping and doubling back at impossible angles like choppy waves. A spill of inky black hair hangs straight as her spine and reaches well passed her shoulders. She is standing under an umbrella that matches her ridiculous dress and is peering intently from behind sunglasses at the little toy that betrayed Marisa.

What can be seen of her face is thin and angular, with nothing to soften the edge of her jawline. She looks like she hasn’t felt the touch of the sun in twenty years. She lists closer. A twitch of her hip brings her dragging skirts forward, rudely brushing Etoile’s legs.

“9 gil,” she marvels, as one bony hand equipped with unnecessarily long nails goes hunting through Marisa’s wares like a pale cave spider, “that’s a steal. An actual steal. I’d – seven hells, what is that – oh!” her voice gets abruptly shrill, hand pouncing on something. An earring. But does it have a twin? The hunt continues.

RE: ~Marisa opens a street stall~ [open rp] - Marisa - 11-01-2017

Marisa turned briefly to to newcomer.   
"Hi, I'm Marisa! You probably guessed from the sign that this is my shop! Please have a look around, you're bound to find something you need!"  

Returning to Schezar, Marisa scans her wares, trying to remember anything else she might have picked up near the spinning device.  

"Oh!" she declares, having had a sudden epiphany. She reaches across the table and grabs what appears to be an ordinary compass, with each of the cardinal directions illuminated.   

"I saw people using these around that same place! They were walking around and looking at them sometimes. It's obviously some kind of treasure detector. Look at this!"   

Marisa proceeds to rotate the compass back and forth a few times, then points off in the direction of the needle.  

"No matter how I turn it, it always point that way. There must be treasure over there! Normally I wouldn't let something like this go, but I managed to scrounge up a few of them so I can give you this for... 11 gil! It'll probably pay for itself in no time!"  

Marisa continues to move the compass back and forth in front of Schezar, enthralled with the idea that there might be treasure nearby.

RE: ~Marisa opens a street stall~ [open rp] - Kallera - 11-02-2017

Etoile noticed a bauble admist the others, a particularly shiny one. "N-no way..." she bent down to look at it from a lower angle.

It looked like more than a toy,'almost set to move...or shine a light on something...or maybe it's a weapon?? its purpose wasn't clear. It had an aroma about it, like it was some ball prized from a dusty spot.

"um, miss, what is this?" Etoile asked.

RE: ~Marisa opens a street stall~ [open rp] - Kieron Lohengrin - 11-03-2017

"20 gil total sounds goodsweetTwelveabove." Startled for a moment and nearly spinning on his heel, Schezar turned and looked at the second, older Elezen woman that had come swooping in from his other side. As she rifled through the table items with seemingly bony fingers, he tried not to stare - even though he was reminded strongly of Haukke manor.

Clearing his throat, he turned back to the seller with an awkward grin. "Marisa, right? Call me Schez. Here you go." Setting down a pair of coins in her hand, he took a step backward with both compass and top, offering Etoile a friendly nod in passing. As he let both of the Elezen women have their turns to haggle, he looked down again at the compass with a mildly bemused half-smile.

"Always pointin' toward treasure, eh? Point me toward bacon, eggs, and a bed, then - my treasures of the day." With a short sweep of his hand, watching the needle stay fixed northward, he pocketed both the device and the toy, stifling a yawn with his other free palm.

RE: ~Marisa opens a street stall~ [open rp] - Marisa - 11-03-2017

Marisa excitedly takes the payment for her first sale of the day and places the coins into her money/food/cool stuff pouch. Turning her attention to Etoile, she claps her hands together with delight over what the woman is holding.  

"That's a very special item! Those are made by my very best gobbie-friend, Bibblebix Stickytoes! It's for when something is in your way and just won't move! You twistgrab the spinring, then you placedrop it on the hinderjunk, pushpress the springclick, then fastflee for cover. Count to ten and then tick-tick GOBBIE-BOOM!"  

Marisa accentuated the word 'boom' by throwing her arms out to either side. 

"I use them all the time for my work. People in the past usually don't want you touching their stuff, which is dumb because they're not using it anymore. So they make all kinds of locks and walls you have to get through. Nothing that Bibblebix's patented gobbietek Boomrocksâ„¢ can't handle though! 10 Gil each!"

RE: ~Marisa opens a street stall~ [open rp] - Polyitsaux - 11-03-2017

Polyitsaux is familiar with the sensation of being stared at, but in her experience it is usually followed by the toss of a rock or insult. She stiffens, gleaming nails frozen over a tiny wind up music box. But when neither rock nor insult arrives and Schezar’s gaze only alights briefly on her, the tension melts from the slender span of her shoulders. It’s early morning, she’s only had one glass of wine to fortify herself and is suddenly overwhelmed by an iota of kindness given by a complete stranger. She begins to turn to Schezar, realizes she has no idea what to say to him, and immediately panics.

She is saved the inevitable embarrassment by Marisa.

“Nothing that Bibblebix's patented gobbietek Boomrocks™ can't handle though! 10 Gil each!"

“That sounds dangerous,” she remarks wryly to Schezar, pitching her voice low. But the nervous titter that follows betrays her mounting anxiety as she waits for her turn with the young shopkeeper. The pearl earring caught between the net of her nails has no twin but she cannot bring herself to let it go. “Which is precisely why I must have one. Or ten.”

RE: ~Marisa opens a street stall~ [open rp] - Mia Siserae - 11-03-2017

Show Content

An Auri female snaps her pocket watch closed before peering back at the bustling pier behind her. She finds great comfort in the salted air as she leisurely paces through the crowd while making it a point to hold on to her coin pouch. Too many run-ins with the local street urchins has taught her that one can never be too careful.

Mia inclines her head in curiosity as a booth labeled "Marisa's Shop" seems to be drawing quite the crowd. Squeezing herself between two tall Elezen women, she offers a polite nod to them both before perusing the wares. There was certainly a plethora of peculiar items and as she was about to turn away to take her leave, a sparkling red catches the corner of her eye. She picks up a crystallized crimson lotus that fit into the palm of her hand and in the center of it was a slot for incense. Turning to the young miss inside the booth she asks politely, "You must be Marisa! How much for this and how did you come across such fine work?"

RE: ~Marisa opens a street stall~ [open rp] - Marisa - 11-04-2017

Marisa, being new and inexperienced in the business of shopkeeping, is both overwhelmed and exhilarated by the rapid influx of customers to her little stall. She addresses Polyitsaux.  

"Oh, they're super dangerous! You'll love it!" she excitedly declares while hoisting a wooden box up onto the table. Inside the box lies maybe three dozen roughly identical balls, each handcrafted with only the finest goblin junk.  

Mia catches Marisa's attention, who sees the lotus and ponders it for a moment.  

"Hrmmm," she mutters. "I think my sister found that washed up on the beach. It's probably magic or something but I can't figure it out. You know, I bet if you put it on top of one of those wizard staffs, it'd be really powerful! How's 30 Gil sound?"

RE: ~Marisa opens a street stall~ [open rp] - Kallera - 11-04-2017

Etoile looked around, she didn't know much about Limsa Lominsa's laws, but a 10 gil gobbiebomb surely wasn't that destructive. "Well, 10 gil huh? I'll have two." Etoile withdrew her gilpurse and laid the gil on the table. Keeping her hand on the gil, she asked: "They come with a safety right? I don't want this blowing up my apartment."

RE: ~Marisa opens a street stall~ [open rp] - Justsomenoob - 11-04-2017

The marketplace quickly becomes lively and loud as traders yell out their deals on goods and quality and buyer crowding the stands in a frenzy.  A dark figure, wearing a long, black hooded cloak, consealing his face and armour emerged from the marketplace bustling crowds. Making his way out through the pier, he spots a small stand in the corner of his eye that peaked his interest.

He noticed a Au Ra swrim her way between two tall Elezens as he approaches the stand from the right side. Upon arrival, He looks down at the table of junk that was spread out and spotted a folded parchment with top side slightly opened. He reached out his hand, placing two fingers on it and slided it towards him. He picks it up, rotates it on its back and saw some slightly faded writing that read "Map of La Noscea, Outer La Noscea."