Hydaelyn Role-Players
Question: Free Companies - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Question: Free Companies (/showthread.php?tid=2090)

Question: Free Companies - CassandraJean - 06-05-2013

Hey guys!

I've been reading and studying a lot about the game before 2.0 is released (I haven't played 1.0 so my knowledge is limited to what I can study online). But one subject that I haven't been able to really understand is Free Companies. I feel like it's a really simple subject and I'm just somehow now grasping it completely, but would y'all be willing to tell me exactly what Free Companies are?

I know about linkshells, but Free Companies are something different than that, right? What is a Free Company and what are the benefits to being in one? Can you be in more than one?

Is there a Free Company that the members of this site are in? Or a bunch of them..?

Sorry! I probably sound like a total idiot but I appreciate your help!

RE: Question: Free Companies - Ronberku - 06-05-2013

It's really simpler than it sounds or appears.

In FFXIV 1.0 we only had linkshells that served as guilds. Although as a guild system it was really bareboned. It was basically a list of people much like a friendlist but with a guildchat channel. You could join multiple linkshells and follow all their chats in the log.

FFXIV: ARR now introduces Free Company which becomes the new in a sense true Guild system. Any MMORPG usually forces people to only join 1 guild. This is what Free Company will become.

However, linkshells still remain with the same function as in FFXIV 1.0. But will serve more as a way to create social groups.

Conclusion(tl;dr)

Free Company = The true typical mmorpg guild (Join 1 and only one) and allows acces to future Guild housing
Linkshell = social groups (Join as many as you want), no additional benefits

Additional edit:

You can join a Free company and also join multiple linkshells at the same time. Just wanting to clarify it.

RE: Question: Free Companies - Gideon Aryeh - 06-05-2013

Free companies can also get objectives, make alliances with other Free Companies, etc. For example a Free Company gets benefits for helping out new members. They will be more interactive than the average guild system with actual in game roles and things to do.

RE: Question: Free Companies - CassandraJean - 06-05-2013

Okay.
Linkshells I already know about since I did play Final Fantasi XI MANY moons ago.
So linkshells = social networking, Free Company = guild

Does anyone know what all these benefits and things are for being in a Free Company, helping new members, that sort of thing? Like are there going to be missions/quests for free companies to perform together? Because that would be pretty awesome.

RE: Question: Free Companies - Gideon Aryeh - 06-05-2013

(06-05-2013, 01:08 PM)CassandraJean Wrote: Okay.
Linkshells I already know about since I did play Final Fantasi XI MANY moons ago.
So linkshells = social networking, Free Company = guild

Does anyone know what all these benefits and things are for being in a Free Company, helping new members, that sort of thing? Like are there going to be missions/quests for free companies to perform together? Because that would be pretty awesome.

During one of the earlier Letter from the producer vids If I'm not mistaken Yoshi mentioned quest objectives, this was one of the reasons why Free Company Alliances are possible, for FC's who want to help each other with their objectives.

I seriously recommend anyone going back and watching the earlier Letter from the Producer videos, they are chock full of information and all of them have been subtitled.

RE: Question: Free Companies - CassandraJean - 06-05-2013

Thanks you guys, I feel like I have a much better grasp on it. I didn't realize that Free Companies were brand new to A Realm Reborn, I thought they were from 1.0. BUT this does explain why I couldn't find an overabundance of info on it.

Thanks!

That being said ... Does anyone have plans to create a Free Company here on the forum? I'd love to join up with one, it sounds like a GREAT way to get to know you guys and for my character to get to know your characters.

RE: Question: Free Companies - Caysen - 06-05-2013

This is from an interview on ZAM from back in 2011.
Show Content
Basically says there will be group content for Free Companies that relates to the Grand Companies, but with different storylines than the solo GC content.

Here's the stuff from the earlier live letter.
Show Content
You unlock more features for your FC as you complete more quests and events.

I read somewhere that we'll be able to put the FC emblem on armor, but I don't have a source on that.

RE: Question: Free Companies - Eva - 06-05-2013

I compiled a bunch of info a couple weeks back on this post, relating to Free Companies and what has been said about them so far.  I hope that you find it useful.  Smile

RE: Question: Free Companies - CassandraJean - 06-06-2013

Thanks Eva for the link! That helps a lot, you must have done some serious investigating to collect all that info lol.

The Free Companies sound like a total blast, definitely will want to get in on that!