Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lalafell RP flaws - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Lalafell RP flaws (/showthread.php?tid=21017)

Lalafell RP flaws - Zanther - 11-28-2017

Hey. Making a char sheet for Zazanther and while I have one flaw for him (his fear of forests), I'm drawing a blank on a 2nd good minor flaw.

So I was thinking, what type of flaws that would result in a negative bonus to various rp /random rolls that would be common things that are typical to Lalafell and are not too situational?

RE: Lalafell RP flaws - Gegenji - 11-28-2017

Well, if he was a Plainsfolk, there's that whole fear of giant birds thing...

... And there's been several mentions about their lack of reach in combat situations...

But if I may ask, why do you need to pick flaws that are specific to race? Wouldn't it be better to have the flaws be unique to the character itself and not defined solely by the happenstance of race?

The way you're describing it - and forgive me if this sounds overly harsh - it sounds like you're trying to think up a flaw merely for the sake of having a flaw... rather than having one that is actually relevant to the character.

RE: Lalafell RP flaws - Teadrinker - 11-28-2017

I'd suggest focusing on his backstory and things that have happened to him to isolate fears or flaws moreso than focusing on the fact that he is a lalafell. They can be difficult to rp to begin with and adding fuel to that fire isn't something I'd personally choose but to each their own.

Taking shots in the dark here, I notice he's bald. Maybe he hates hats. Maybe he can't grow hair. Maybe he's self conscious about it.

Those sound hilarious to me actually. o/

RE: Lalafell RP flaws - Aegir - 11-28-2017

What SANE Eorzean isn't terrified of the forest?

RE: Lalafell RP flaws - SapphireSkylines - 11-28-2017

I kind of agree with Teadrinker, go into your character's backstory and see what flaws would make sense. Another way would be to think about your character's personality and think up some downsides to it.

For example, if a character is heroic and will do whatever it takes to save the day, maybe they're a bit stubborn or impulsive. 

Is your character super smart and charming? Maybe that could cause them to be manipulative. 

Stuff like that.

RE: Lalafell RP flaws - Zanther - 11-28-2017

I'm trying to figure out a good angle with his missing left eye. 

On one hand, negative modifiers to anything attacking him on his left side...which would be hard from a GM angle.

Perception checks could be affected but being taught how to keep an eye out for things and be good at observation...that almost doesn't work. I also could not have a 2nd flaw and cut out perception, implying Icly his lack of a 2nd eye is being negated by training but he won't gain additional bonuses from said training.

And the bald was a phase (and as a sign of mourning at the end of 2.55) so he just shaves his head time to time

RE: Lalafell RP flaws - Edric W. - 11-28-2017

Missing an eye also makes depth perception harder, from what I've heard. Distancing is one of the most important factors of a fight, so that could be a big disadvantage if you want to go that route. I honestly agree with what everyone else said, find more personal flaws specific to who they are rather than what they are. That being said though, Lalafell probably have a few obvious flaws, mainly physical.
  • The world is built for people bigger than them. He might have trouble reaching things in daily life.
  • Little legs that they have, I imagine they have to put in a lot more energy to move as fast as, for example, an Elezen who can just stride along.
  • If they fight, they need to be a lot smarter than a Xaela or Roegadyn who can only rely on their strength or weight, respectively, and still do well. He'd also need to take in to account that a hit from one of the larger races will probably do more damage to him than one of his will do to them.
  • Continuing on the vein of the last bullet point, I imagine being a Lalafell Brass Blade, soldier, etc. must be a lot harder than being a Highlander and doing those jobs. I imagine they'd need to train a lot harder, not being as naturally physically gifted.

Honestly, I've always thought of Lalafell (either folk) as being one of the more intelligent and quick-witted races. All of the things I've listed here probably can, and are, overcome by them fairly easily if they put their mind to it. I'd go with what everyone else suggested mate.

RE: Lalafell RP flaws - Zanther - 11-29-2017

Just came up with a realization that solves the issue: I can still use perception and have a negative modifier when it comes to sight based rolls.

Which actually explains one of his styles of fighting. He's known to use throwing-knives from time to time. Most just use one or two at a time. He uses a more barrage approach. Reasoning: He has a harder time figuring out the exact location of his target due to one eye. Tossing out lots of them makes it more likely to hit said target.