Hydaelyn Role-Players
newbie with some Q's - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: newbie with some Q's (/showthread.php?tid=21222)

newbie with some Q's - cailee - 01-09-2018

Hello!

I'm new to FFXIV and the FF universe (been playing about 2 months), but an experienced MMO playeras well as a long-time table-top RPG’er.  I haveabout 4 or 5 characters that recur in the various RPGs/MMOs that I play. Never done any FF before, but I’m loving the story so far (it's so good!) 

So here’s my current situation: I’ve been playing onBrynhildr and reached end-game.  I joineda small, very helpful FC that has been great, but they focus on meta-gaming and raid progression.  I'm much more casual and now that I’ve hitend-game, I have a lot of time in-game that I would like to RP, but there’s just not a lot of people interested in RP’ing. 
(To top it off, I’ve been getting some unwanted attention from anotherplayer, but that’s a different issue.)  Ifound this site via a google search that landed me on the RP handbook (which I read).

I had planned to wait and lurk a bit more before actually doing anything, but I saw that Mateo may be closing soon, so I'm thinking I should dosomething sooner rather than later.

With that in mind, I have a few questions:

1. Do people typically create new characters or is it ok to move a level 70 character over from another server?  I’m very attached to my current char, but I suppose I could clone her on a RP server and re-level? 

2. Speaking of leveling – do people play the game and advance or generally just RP level 1 chars? (I’ve played in both types of environments.)

3. Assuming people do follow the story, how do you handle the “everyone is the Warrior of Light” issue?

4. Is most RP done in-game, on forums, or a combination? 

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

-C

RE: newbie with some Q's - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-09-2018

Hiya there!

Welcome to the RPC. I'll see if I can get through some of these, at least answered through my own experiences.

(01-09-2018, 02:16 PM)cailee Wrote: [*]Do people typically create new characters or is it ok to move a level 70 character over from another server?  I’m very attached to my current char, but I suppose I could clone her on a RP server and re-level? 

In my experiences, people will do both. It's hard to justify leaving friends on one server to experiment on another. I'd definitely start off with making an alt just to get a look around, see if the player environment holds up to expectations, etc. From what I've seen, a lot of RP and public events still take place in 2.0 launch areas, at least on Balmung. A level 1 character can technically get to all of them with some careful walking.

(01-09-2018, 02:16 PM)cailee Wrote: [*]Speaking of leveling – do people play the game and advance or generally just RP level 1 chars? (I’ve played in both types of environments.)

Both occur. I know for me, it'd come down to glamor use, but before that system was ever implemented, people just equipped the gear directly, so it's a moot point. If the bulk of the RP you're interested it is going to take place in towns/settlements/non-monster-infested areas and you've got whatever RP/in-character outfits you like already set up, that's leveled up enough for many people. I've seen people worried that a lv1 character will be ignored simply for being a low level, but it's often untrue. (Now, there is a worry that with a low level character, someone may not be very invested in them, which can lead to things, but a simple "my main's on a different server" would likely suffice there.) If you find yourself playing more of the game/needing certain gear/zones available for RP, then that's a better indicator of when it might be good to transfer a fully leveled up character or to level the current one up.

(01-09-2018, 02:16 PM)cailee Wrote: [*]Assuming people do follow the story, how do you handle the “everyone is the Warrior of Light” issue?

I don't tend to find too many 2.0-style Warrior of Light characters (there's a difference with the 1.0-style ones, who got the timeskip/population memory wipe/etc) who RP those plots out in the open. Usually, it comes down to letting people know OOC and then making adjustments, or keeping the WoL plots bubbled within a pre-set group's RP so that others won't break your immersion and you won't break theirs. Some people could technically just play it off as "___ is crazy because -I- am the true hero," but that might get old rather quickly.

For the general RP population I've interacted with, most people tend to play at unnamed NPC levels of fantasy/power/importance, and let their interactions and storylines do the rest of the work. It's key to remember that just because your backstory might say you're important/powerful/etc, it's still up to other people's perception and perspective to respect that.

(01-09-2018, 02:16 PM)cailee Wrote: [*]Is most RP done in-game, on forums, or a combination? 

Mostly in-game from what I've seen. The RPC does have an in-character posting section for forum RP and a general use "newsboard" section for IC documents like newspapers and various other posters and publications. Occasionally RP might also take place over skype, discord, or other various media, depending on who you're interacting with. But in general, it's all in-game, whether preplanned and coordinated, or purely walk-up.

There is a new-ish roleplayer status icon in-game as well. Some people choose to use it, which can help find other like-minded individuals. Search info is also handy!

RE: newbie with some Q's - Erah'sae - 01-09-2018

On non-locked servers there is a small prejudice on really low level characters because it's a tactic used to create new 'troll' characters.  That said, once you get to be about 15 that prejudice seems to go away.  This is pretty convenient because that is about when, through the MSQ you can fly to the other main cities.

With a lot of content being locked behind MSQ points, it's worth leveling the characters up a bit anyway.  If you want to do Ishgarde RP, you need to be able to get into Ishgarde.  Same thing for Kugane.  

If you don't want to level / transfer your main, there are leveling / story skip items in the mog store to help.

If you are going to transfer, make a full batch of 8 to transfer at the same time.  It's the same cost to move the full set.

On the WoL issue, I've seen people RPing through the MSQ as the fellow adventurers called on by the WoL at times to fight primals, etc, but not the WoL themselves.  That said there are a few groups that actively RP as named NPC's (Sions, the Sultana, etc) running around on multiple servers so take it with a grain of salt.

RE: newbie with some Q's - cailee - 01-11-2018

Thanks for the replies!  

I've created a new character on Mateo and am leveling it up to the point where I have some background to work with.  I've stumbled on a couple of very in-depth public conversations happening out in the wild and noticed several people walking instead of running.  Even without any direct interaction, I can already tell it's a different place.  I'm looking forward to a new experience!

(One unexpected bonus is that I had forgotten that you meet major NPCs when you're still very low level. I've only been through the main story once so it was kinda cool.)