Hydaelyn Role-Players
New RPC Hopeful, not new to FFXIV - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: New RPC Hopeful, not new to FFXIV (/showthread.php?tid=21244)

New RPC Hopeful, not new to FFXIV - Gansukh Himaa - 01-13-2018

Hello! I've been playing for years now -- my main is actually on Masamune server which is Japanese. I speak Japanese but it's not really an RP server. I recently made a character on Hyperion but I didn't realize there are servers that have more roleplayers than others! 

So I plan to basically duplicate my Hyperion character onto Mateus so I can join in on the fun!

I'm interested in light/medium RP for now; mostly because of time constraints (I'm in game dev school, woo!) but depending on how things go, maybe I can do heavier arcs!

My RP experience overall spans from being a fake professional wrestler in MSN Groups back in the 2000s to LotR forum RP to being in the D&D club in high school. All of this while playing RPG video games ever since I could remember! Big Grin

With FFXIV specifically, I've always sat down & literally built my characters from the ground up - lore, family, relationships, etc. Everything has a purpose, but amongst my friends who play it was a lot more extreme than they were getting into it...so it's awesome to find like-minded people who really want to flesh out their characters!

Anyhow, I'm gonna work on bringing my good boi over to Mateus & browse the forum so I can get acquainted with everything! So so excited to be here! 

P.S. If you happen to be on Hyperion and RP as well, I'd be more than happy to join in! From the looks of things though, I just want to join a server where RP is fairly expected so that I'll have an easier time around.

P.P.S. I am so stinking excited to make my character's wiki profile I can't breathe. THE TEMPLATES! So organized!

RE: New RPC Hopeful, not new to FFXIV - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-13-2018

Welcome to the RPC!

Looks like you've already got a pretty good handle on stuff, but if you've got any site questions, feel free to poke me anytime! (There are a couple quirks here and there, mostly with the nicer SCEditor plugin not liking spoiler tags when switching between visual and source/bbcode).

RE: New RPC Hopeful, not new to FFXIV - Gansukh Himaa - 01-14-2018

(01-13-2018, 04:31 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Welcome to the RPC!

Looks like you've already got a pretty good handle on stuff, but if you've got any site questions, feel free to poke me anytime! (There are a couple quirks here and there, mostly with the nicer SCEditor plugin not liking spoiler tags when switching between visual and source/bbcode).

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! 

Hopefully, I won't run into many formatting problems, but if I do I'll know where to run! Cactuar

While I have your attention, I have a few questions (LOL):
  • What's the best way, in your experience, to plunge in and have a good experience?
  • I noticed a lot of players have IC/OOC Tumblrs -- is this a standard? And what is the Tumblr RP scene like in comparison to in-game?
  • Same as above, but in regards to Discord IC RP community?
Anyone's input here would be fine, by the way! I just want to come out of the gate with a good understanding.

RE: New RPC Hopeful, not new to FFXIV - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-14-2018

Lemme preface this with saying I'm probably a bad example because I haven't been too active in RP in the last I don't even remember how long. (But I like to keep updated and work on the resources for people who -are- active!)

(01-14-2018, 02:46 AM)Gansukh Himaa Wrote: What's the best way, in your experience, to plunge in and have a good experience?

I was baited into RP by food and friends, so I got in the "easy" way. I already had some OOC connections and then we built up IC connections from there. So in that sense, I kinda fall into the RPer category that likes to pre-plan and schedule scenes and stuff, which had worked well for me since my time was limited then, and more limited now. (Curse you timezones and IT work schedules!)

Once I had a decent idea of the character[s] I was gonna work with, I developed backstory, motives, goals, etc. Then I started RPing more out in the open. Then I started going to smaller events to network with other people. Some of this was done with IC forum threads so I could get to know people at a pace that was schedule-friendly. Other times, it was in-game.

Personally, I'm bad at reaching out to people, which has caused a big decline in my activity. I've also got to get into the mood to RP and kinda jump in-character.

-

So what I'd recommend for people trying to come in is to take a look around the Making Connections forum, see who's generally active either on the RPC or in-game around the same times, and peruse the wiki for interesting contacts. Anyone with a character page that uses an infobox should have a server field, which makes finding people pretty easy. (It can also be added in manually too, with [Category:SERVERNAME] or so.)

To bolster that, I'd also take a look at what events there are. The RPC only shows a small portion because our calendar system's a little lacking. The Events forum has a better list and there are also google calendars for Balmung and Mateus that I know of that have FAR more events listed too. And they have tumblr accounts to reblog stuff often. And discord bots. So finding out about upcoming events has a number of tools these days!

(01-14-2018, 02:46 AM)Gansukh Himaa Wrote: I noticed a lot of players have IC/OOC Tumblrs -- is this a standard? And what is the Tumblr RP scene like in comparison to in-game?

When I lurked/joined RPC late 2014 to early 2014, only a few people used tumblr for RP resources. It's since gained a lot more popularity 2015 and later. Part of this is because the RPC's had a bit of a rocky history (as does any RP resource/hub with a lot of activity/users) because our numbers are high enough that people aren't going to agree on everything. But I personally think that's a good thing because diverse interests and opinions helps keep things unique. At the same time, it used to be a drama and flame war magnet. (Like searching White Mage lore/discussion threads as an example.)

These days, a lot of people have/use a tumblr either as their main resource or as a side resource. It doesn't hurt to have/not have one, so it's more a matter a preference. Mine started off as just for art commission dumping and the occasion ask prompt/meme.

I think people use tumblr to RP, but I always found the formatting to be rather strange, as a forum feels much better suited to track a thread with replies. I'd still say most RP is done in-game with all other media more in a resource position.

(01-14-2018, 02:46 AM)Gansukh Himaa Wrote: Same as above, but in regards to Discord IC RP community?

Similar to tumblr, some people make use of Discord, but in my experiences, that's more for linkshells and free companies than say, entire communities. HOWEVER! The Mateus RP Hub is a perfect example of a Discord server that does take on a server-wide goal of coordinating RP. I'm a bit biased and opinionated on this topic, so I can't really answer too objectively, but people do use Discord to RP and coordinate too. The hub mentioned provides a lot of RPC-like services to roleplayers on Mateus, and I believe there's one for people on Omega too. I want to say there are probably a few Balmung discords as well, but I'm not in them. I like my list short and for specific purposes so I don't get lost in post floods. ...and I think a forum makes searching for those posts a bit easier.

I should note that at this time, there's isn't any sort of RPC-sanctioned/run discord server. We do have a chat system embedded on the site for users to use though! (And it allows making temporary private rooms, if wanted.)

RE: New RPC Hopeful, not new to FFXIV - Gansukh Himaa - 01-15-2018

Sorry for the delayed response, but I can't thank you enough for the detailed reply! It gave me a lot of insight and understanding of all the questions I had!

Since then I've joined a few Discord servers to try & understand the community further and it's been pretty fun! I'm working on my character bible now so hopefully, I'll get to actually start RPing soon!