Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Spoilers] 4.2 MSQ Discussion - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [Spoilers] 4.2 MSQ Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=21321)

Pages: 1 2

[Spoilers] 4.2 MSQ Discussion - Nero - 01-30-2018

This is a spoiler THREAD (and thus you shouldn't be in here if you haven't completed the MSQ and you only have yourself to blame), but it's always better to be safe than sorry, thus I encourage you to be liberal with spoiler tags regardless.

With that said....

Show Content

RE: [Spoilers] 4.2 MSQ Discussion - Ramen - 01-31-2018

(01-30-2018, 06:29 PM)Nero Wrote: This is a spoiler THREAD (and thus you shouldn't be in here if you haven't completed the MSQ and you only have yourself to blame), but it's always better to be safe than sorry, thus I encourage you to be liberal with spoiler tags regardless.

With that said....

Show Content

Show Content

RE: [Spoilers] 4.2 MSQ Discussion - Gegenji - 01-31-2018

(01-31-2018, 09:17 AM)Ramen Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 06:29 PM)Nero Wrote: This is a spoiler THREAD (and thus you shouldn't be in here if you haven't completed the MSQ and you only have yourself to blame), but it's always better to be safe than sorry, thus I encourage you to be liberal with spoiler tags regardless.

With that said....

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

RE: [Spoilers] 4.2 MSQ Discussion - Saravahn - 01-31-2018

Lackluster, disappointing, and boring.

Show Content

Show Content

RE: [Spoilers] 4.2 MSQ Discussion - Teadrinker - 01-31-2018

Show Content

RE: [Spoilers] 4.2 MSQ Discussion - H.H. - 02-01-2018

Show Content

RE: [Spoilers] 4.2 MSQ Discussion - Nero - 02-01-2018

okay that's enough spoiler tag nonsense in a spoiler thread

Question: is Yotsuyu redeemeable y/n

I mean I take issue with the fact that so much focus was put on Gosetsu and Yotsuyu (considering THEY SHOULD BE DEAD) but as far as I can tell, everything is gearing up for Yotsuyu to get her memories back and then immediately turn evil again.

RE: [Spoilers] 4.2 MSQ Discussion - Gegenji - 02-01-2018

(02-01-2018, 12:01 PM)Nero Wrote: I mean I take issue with the fact that so much focus was put on Gosetsu and Yotsuyu (considering THEY SHOULD BE DEAD) but as far as I can tell, everything is gearing up for Yotsuyu to get her memories back and then immediately turn evil again.

My guess is she does get her memories back... but then also has the memories of the "nice times" she had as just Tsuyu. So she'll be forced to reconcile whether she wants to return to being Yotsuyu or continue on as Tsuyu. Whether she's willing to come to terms with what was done to her, what she did, and... whether or not she's willing to let go and start over.

RE: [Spoilers] 4.2 MSQ Discussion - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-01-2018

(02-01-2018, 12:04 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 12:01 PM)Nero Wrote: I mean I take issue with the fact that so much focus was put on Gosetsu and Yotsuyu (considering THEY SHOULD BE DEAD) but as far as I can tell, everything is gearing up for Yotsuyu to get her memories back and then immediately turn evil again.

My guess is she does get her memories back... but then also has the memories of the "nice times" she had as just Tsuyu. So she'll be forced to reconcile whether she wants to return to being Yotsuyu or continue on as Tsuyu. Whether she's willing to come to terms with what was done to her, what she did, and... whether or not she's willing to let go and start over.

This. There are a number of jdramas with that as the plot. And it feels extremely jrpg to amnesia plot a redemption.

...I'd prefer they not. One semi-redeemed villain was enough. And Fordola at least made sense.

RE: [Spoilers] 4.2 MSQ Discussion - SicketySix - 02-01-2018

I think it's fairly obvious she's going to unlock her memories. But from there I am unsure what happens. I've also considered the possibility that Gosetsu is going to give his life defending her, for whatever reason. Something is already clearly wrong with him and that's been pointed out several times by various NPCs already.

But then again, something much larger could be happening. Three characters who are supposedly dead suddenly show back up, and each one seems a different person then they were before, which is rather interesting to say the least.

Also, don't get me started on Gosetsu's whole spew about returning her (Yotsuyu) to his master so he may decide her fate, and then when Hien goes to take her life Gosetsu speaks out about how he should not and it's not the will of the Kami. Behead them both. Her for war crimes, and Gosetsu for treason. Boom, problem solved.

RE: [Spoilers] 4.2 MSQ Discussion - Verad - 02-01-2018

We are pretty vindictive in these parts 

Story was about as expected.

RE: [Spoilers] 4.2 MSQ Discussion - Kieron Lohengrin - 02-01-2018

(01-31-2018, 11:41 PM)Teadrinker Wrote: the fact Zenos is alive

It might not be Zenos. It could be a clone, a la FF7. Or an Ascian, as others have speculated. They were producing Resonant supersoldiers in Ala Mhigo, and you fight some of them as common mobs emerging from experiment tubes in Castrum Abania. A clone wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

The plot taking the time to remind us of the emperor's all-eikons-must-die policy at the same time as Hell's Lid / Byakko has interesting implications. How much of the Empire knows that their golden boy Gundam-piloted Shinryu? Do they know that you're now making friends with auspices in their temple and sparing their lives, when one of the specific talking points during the peace negotiations is your eikon-slaying ability?

The 4.X buildup with imperial refugees from the Ivalice raid and now Asahi's claims highlight the infighting going on in the Empire, which probably gets invaded and sorted out in 5.0. Then on to Zodiark in 6.0.

RE: [Spoilers] 4.2 MSQ Discussion - LiadansWhisper - 02-02-2018

I'm getting real tired of people not staying dead.

At this rate, I want the option for my character to behead her enemies and stick the heads in a bag or something. You know, just in case.

RE: [Spoilers] 4.2 MSQ Discussion - Valence - 02-02-2018

I really liked that MSQ patch... until Zenos. Let him rest in peace ffs. If you really have to resurrect people AGAIN, at least do it with... I don't know, Gaius, or Regula...

(02-01-2018, 12:18 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 12:04 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

This. There are a number of jdramas with that as the plot. And it feels extremely jrpg to amnesia plot a redemption.

...I'd prefer they not. One semi-redeemed villain was enough. And Fordola at least made sense.

I'm pretty convinced that since Fordola and Yotsuyu having been always portrayed in absolute parallels in their own background, situation, victims of the empire indoctrination/use, etc, that Yotsuyu is probably planned to follow the same pattern.

RE: [Spoilers] 4.2 MSQ Discussion - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-02-2018

(02-02-2018, 04:42 AM)Valence Wrote: I'm pretty convinced that since Fordola and Yotsuyu having been always portrayed in absolute parallels in their own background, situation, victims of the empire indoctrination/use, etc, that Yotsuyu is probably planned to follow the same pattern.

See, I disagree here a bit.

Fordola was clearly raised in it. She actually believed in the Garlean Empire as something worth fighting for. She appeared to want to work harder. Better. Show the Empire that Ala Mhigans were worth respect.

Yotsuyu on the other hand feels like the complete opposite. Yes, she also grew up under Garlean rule. Yes, she had a shitty childhood too. 4.2 shows us exactly how much her brother's special treatment pampered him while leaving her to her own devices. And that she did. I don't feel like Yotsuyu ever tried to be on par with the Garleans. She just knew how to make her fellow Domans look even worse. And to better that revenge, they put her in control of them as the acting viceroy.

Right now, there are three basic situations I see that SE might follow for Yotsuyu.

1. She never remembers and lives out her life in "innocence" as Tsuyu. (Least likely to happen, because then what was the point of writing her out of death?)

2. Like others have said above, we get full jDrama plot and she remembers everything, but clings onto the goodness that was showed her. Whether this means she tries to redeem herself or simply adjusts her revenge to focus on the Garleans, I'm not sure. (This seems most likely to happen as it appeals to the most tropes.)

3. Lastly, she very well could remember everything and then backstab everyone. Or she's been an incredible actress even to the point of fooling family. She's now seen the inside of the Doman Enclave. She's seen the House of the Fierce. If the Garleans were worried about what she might divulge to the protagonists, there could be a complete reversal in what she might reveal to the Garleans to reclaim her status among them. (I feel like this one's possible, but not as likely as 2.)

Meanwhile, Fordola seems to have already showed her focus is on Ala Mhigo. It always was. Whether that's under Imperial rule or being led by a new regime, she seems to carry a national pride that Yotsuyu did not.

--

That said, I do like what this patch has shown us in terms of not-Zenos or the Zenos-lookalike. We got another glimpse at the Garlean Empire. We got some good politics. And the new content and upcoming content is nice. But given that this is a Japanese game that's also intended for a Japanese audience, it'll probably follow more Japanese tropes. This isn't inherently bad or a negative thing, but I don't see any reason to congratulate SE's writing.