Hydaelyn Role-Players
No </3 Roegadyn female? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: No </3 Roegadyn female? (/showthread.php?tid=2165)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: No </3 Roegadyn female? - Brave - 10-06-2013

(10-06-2013, 07:30 PM)Siobhain Wrote: I don't think 'sex' sells in terms of the outrageous number of female Miqo'tes at least. They... aren't... that... sexy. What they are is cute. Loli maybe. Cute and loli but not sexy unless you find those qualities sexy. Throwing cat ears and a tail on it doesn't sexualize it any more than handing me a kitten nestled in a pile of Victoria's Secret panties and telling me 'Get aroused'. Male Miqo'te? At least half of them are a different matter entirely.

Girls like cute things. Guy like cute things. Guys also like to trick other guys with cute things.

Result?

99% Miqo'te.

Also:

Not even the Amazons were all 'tomboyish'. Doesn't make no damn sense for Roegadyn men to be so manly and say to themselves "You know what I like? I like a woman who looks like a male Elezen. Bit more muscle on it. There we are."

Perhaps Roegadyn got saddled with the 'Female Night Elf' bag.
 /sage nod
Well said ma'am.  Well said!

RE: No </3 Roegadyn female? - Cato - 10-06-2013

I've played MMO's long enough to realise that it doesn't matter what any given playable race looks like since someone, somewhere will see fit to sexualise them to ridiculous degrees. Role-players in particular are very guilty of this, though I won't go into too much detail to avoid getting into trouble.

Miqo'te are subjected to a lot of sexualisation. Especially by many of the users of this very site. I've lost count of the amount of unsavoury images of people's characters that have been linked to me which display some very unusual and baffling scenarios, often involving 'lesbian' female Miqo'te, additional appendages and curves.

The men don't escape it, either. A baffling amount of Miqo'te men are role-played as raging bisexuals or outright gay with all the negative stereotypes that come with it. It's a shame, but that's what happens in MMO's. I'm bisexual myself and often make my own characters range from being straight to bisexual to gay - it just happens to be part of them, rather than their defining trait. Most role-players don't settle for doing that and so we see sexualisation and 'zany' posts letting everyone know that their character is gagging for it at every turn.

RE: No </3 Roegadyn female? - Entity - 10-06-2013

(10-06-2013, 07:30 PM)Siobhain Wrote: I don't think 'sex' sells in terms of the outrageous number of female Miqo'tes at least. They... aren't... that... sexy. What they are is cute. Loli maybe. Cute and loli but not sexy unless you find those qualities sexy. Throwing cat ears and a tail on it doesn't sexualize it any more than handing me a kitten nestled in a pile of Victoria's Secret panties and telling me 'Get aroused'. Male Miqo'te? At least half of them are a different matter entirely.

Girls like cute things. Guy like cute things. Guys also like to trick other guys with cute things.

Result?

99% Miqo'te.

Also:

Not even the Amazons were all 'tomboyish'. Doesn't make no damn sense for Roegadyn men to be so manly and say to themselves "You know what I like? I like a woman who looks like a male Elezen. Bit more muscle on it. There we are."

Perhaps Roegadyn got saddled with the 'Female Night Elf' bag.

Oh I don't mean tomboyish in JUST physical appearance, in personality and other factors as well, like they're not just some innocent girl or fragile individual. =P

RE: No </3 Roegadyn female? - Naunet - 10-06-2013

[edit] Why did the quote I was trying to quote disappear. o.o Well, it was for:

Quote:Honestly it doesn't really annoy me about people picking races for whatever [sexually] appealing reason they may have but it just secretly bothers me that in most cases it's the ONLY reason...I mean yeah yeah there's the [ridiculous] phrase "sex sells," but not everyone's like that...kinda makes me wonder what race people would pick if Miqo'te did not exist. I usually don't consider sex appeal or physical appearance when it comes to picking races, not as much so as their general personalities among their kind along with their history as well as what they're capable of. Maybe that's just me. =P

Heh, I will readily admit I'm extremely shallow when it comes to MMOs and creating a character. Looks are everything. It's why I rolled almost exclusively Forsaken in WoW. Why I adore Kelari in Rift. Or, yes, Miqo'te in ARR. It's why I made pretty much every single cosmetic choice when creating characters in every MMO I've played. I start out with "What looks cool?" and go from there. xD So I get things like this or this or this (sorry, too lazy to find individual pictures of my zombies, so you get some mash-ups I made for another thread elsewhere haha). And those are just my primary RP characters. A lot of my alts I make just because I think to myself, "I want a new character. Let's make something awesome!" So I end up with characters like this or this or this sexy thing. Sometimes they end up developing personalities or even grow into full characters! But for me, it always starts with the looks. xD

RE: No </3 Roegadyn female? - Lost River - 10-06-2013

I like Roegadyns, even with all their faults.

And funny you bring up WoW. At least we didn't go male human. I swear, they must be the missing link or something. Gorilla mutant men!

RE: No </3 Roegadyn female? - Naunet - 10-06-2013

(10-06-2013, 10:15 PM)Lost River Wrote: And funny you bring up WoW. At least we didn't go male human. I swear, they must be the missing link or something. Gorilla mutant men!

Most MMOs can't seem to get male humans right. So sad. WildStar has managed, male midlanders and miqo'te look fine, and male castanics in TERA are amazeballs, but for some reason men tend to end up just looking... like awkward steroid machines more often than not. Biceps as big as their head and no neck to speak of.

I'd argue that male Highlanders look fine too. They're muscular but it's all in proportion and actually boast some rugged yet attractive facial options - something which can't be said of the likes of WoW.

RE: No </3 Roegadyn female? - K'dath - 10-06-2013

(10-06-2013, 08:45 PM)Theodric Ironheart Wrote: I've played MMO's long enough to realise that it doesn't matter what any given playable race looks like since someone, somewhere will see fit to sexualise them to ridiculous degrees. Role-players in particular are very guilty of this, though I won't go into too much detail to avoid getting into trouble.

Miqo'te are subjected to a lot of sexualisation. Especially by many of the users of this very site. I've lost count of the amount of unsavoury images of people's characters that have been linked to me which display some very unusual and baffling scenarios, often involving 'lesbian' female Miqo'te, additional appendages and curves.

The men don't escape it, either. A baffling amount of Miqo'te men are role-played as raging bisexuals or outright gay with all the negative stereotypes that come with it. It's a shame, but that's what happens in MMO's. I'm bisexual myself and often make my own characters range from being straight to bisexual to gay - it just happens to be part of them, rather than their defining trait. Most role-players don't settle for doing that and so we see sexualisation and 'zany' posts letting everyone know that their character is gagging for it at every turn.
All of these things. All of them.

I didn't have the best sense of the community when coming to FFXIV. My decision on what to roll was based totally on my traditional default choice of beast races. Since in XIV beastmen are the bad guys, and I'll likely never get to play an Ixial Musketeer as much as I think that would be the greatest thing to ever happen, the closest I could get to beast folk was... cat people. It was the same logic I applied in picking my Tauren or Argonian characters on other games. Neither of aforementioned races are particularly pretty, but you can bet people still assume its some sort of fetish.

And I'm also distressed by the atmosphere of exceedingly negative gay stereotypes that just pour forth from role players. It's annoying to me on a personal level, but I've come to expect it at this point. It's not my place to tell you 'how to be gay'. The problem is that it sets an unpleasant standard where that sort of behavior is not just acceptable but the expected default for any homosexual character. Then people avoid you, because they don't want to deal with 'faggy' RPers.

It's frustrating to me, because I'm not role playing gay. I just am, it's not a trait that has been specifically woven into the character's personality. I don't think about it, I don't sit down and decide 'oh, and he's also a raging homo' when writing down my notes. It's just a thing about them, it doesn't define them. And if your character is completely defined by their sex or sexuality, you might want to reassess your priorities.

RE: No </3 Roegadyn female? - Salty Lake - 10-06-2013

Who do you all think is RPing stereotypical gay characters? Gay men? Some other demographic? I'm curious who'd be interested in playing such a stereotype.

(10-06-2013, 11:50 PM)Salty Lake Wrote: Who do you all think is RPing stereotypical gay characters?  Gay men?  Some other demographic?  I'm curious who'd be interested in playing such a stereotype.

In many cases it appears to be women who portray gay men in a negative way. I know there's exceptions, but that's typically been the case whenever I've come to learn the real life gender of the players who created some of the more...tasteless gay characters both in FFXIV and the various other MMO's that I've played over the years.

RE: No </3 Roegadyn female? - K'dath - 10-06-2013

(10-06-2013, 11:50 PM)Salty Lake Wrote: Who do you all think is RPing stereotypical gay characters?  Gay men?  Some other demographic?  I'm curious who'd be interested in playing such a stereotype.

14-17 year old females.

RE: No </3 Roegadyn female? - Chocobald - 10-07-2013

Still Mountain sometimes comes out as a "bear" type, but that's just me trying to channel a less intense Hulk Hogan ahem.

Regarding Roegadyn females:

I love their model as a independent thing. Their face is just perfect, I love it to death. And their body structure is interesting to me.

However, as the pair to the Male Roegadyn, I kinda wonder if they are a match. The male Model is exagerated, while the female one is idealized.
Their face is the perfect blend of tough, beautiful, elegant and even a tingle of goofy that makes the male Roe so cool to me. But I agree with the posters saying there is a big difference for the two.

RE: No </3 Roegadyn female? - Entity - 10-07-2013

(10-06-2013, 11:57 PM)Theodric Ironheart Wrote:

In many cases it appears to be women who portray gay men in a negative way. I know there's exceptions, but that's typically been the case whenever I've come to learn the real life gender of the players who created some of the more...tasteless gay characters both in FFXIV and the various other MMO's that I've played over the years.

You know...that doesn't surprise me at all, and I almost don't know why. The first thing that came to mind was "it's girls getting back at guys for similar acts with female characters."

RE: No </3 Roegadyn female? - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 10-07-2013

Time to get that Roegadyn female love back in line...

[Image: siouldah1_zpsb93b8a0a.png]

RE: No </3 Roegadyn female? - K'dath - 10-07-2013

Miqo'te girls have been learning their sexy from Roe women the whole time. It makes so much sense!

[Image: 3g4wBhs.png]
(seriously, I just stumbled across this and it made me think of this thread, haha)