Hydaelyn Role-Players
Gauging Interest: VoIP Server - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Gauging Interest: VoIP Server (/showthread.php?tid=2312)

Pages: 1 2 3

Gauging Interest: VoIP Server - Deirdre - 06-20-2013

Afternoon everyone!

In the OOC chat today the topic of a mumble/vent server came up for the RPC. This is a voice server where members of the RPC can come and hang out, chat, and make use of for dungeons or meeting and whatnot.

Please vote if you would make use of it or not. If you would, please post if you prefer mumble or ventrillo. If there is a strong number of people who would use it, I'll get it set up tonight.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: sorry! This VoIP will be for Intermission/Backstage, our OOC shell.

EditEdit:

Just to let everyone know I went ahead and ordered a server for a month so we could test this out and see how much fun we can have!

Anyone actually interested in the VoIP server, here are the details:

(To download Mumble please click here!)

Server Name: intermission.mumble.com
Port: 5394
Password: FFXIV

PLEASE register with your character name, so everyone can recognize who one another is! If you have any questions/concerns please send me a PM! Thank you!

RE: Gauging Interest: VoIP Server - Lizzo - 06-20-2013

I'm good for either!

RE: Gauging Interest: VoIP Server - Ciara Snow - 06-20-2013

i like the one that doesn't cost you money! Tongue

RE: Gauging Interest: VoIP Server - Deirdre - 06-20-2013

Either choice will cost money especially for a large number of people but its not a huge deal.

RE: Gauging Interest: VoIP Server - PeriasGift - 06-20-2013

I think it's a good idea to have one for the community as a whole. That way linkshell leaders can have meetings there instead of pulling everyone to one server, handing out passwords/info, etc. 
As far as mumble or vent goes, in my experience mumble has better sound quality, especially if you're recording, but vent has options like changing the volume for an individual which I adore. I'd lean towards vent, but I'm fine either way.

RE: Gauging Interest: VoIP Server - Aeiteil Strand - 06-20-2013

Either one works for me. I have used ventrillo but not the other one, but doesn't matter. I think it is a good idea. I would have to get more comfortable with you all, but that's fine =D!

RE: Gauging Interest: VoIP Server - Kylin - 06-20-2013

I voted no personally. I've never been a fan of voice chat. In my experience, it only strengthens the whole "clique" mentality further and makes people feel left out. Back in my FFXI days, I knew a group of people who used it during RP events all the time. I didn't (and several other members didn't) and we had no desire or need to. As such, we felt left out of a lot of things and those who were in the voice chat slowly got viewed as an impenetrable clique until they eventually stopped using it.

So to summarize, I think it does more harm than good. That's just me though.

I've made a ton of wonderful friends via different voice chats. If you don't want to socialize with others that's perfectly fine. Everyone happy and friendly, and there are separate channels if you decide you don't want to listen to someone.

Another note, if we go ahead with this I've decided not to label it RPC, it will instead be associated with intermission/backstage.

Smile

RE: Gauging Interest: VoIP Server - Kylin - 06-20-2013

Deirdre Wrote:If you don't want to socialize with others that's perfectly fine.

One can still socialize with others without voice related chat. Most have been doing it for years no problem xD. It's a comfort thing.

RE: Gauging Interest: VoIP Server - faceman7381 - 06-20-2013

(06-20-2013, 02:02 PM)Kylin Wrote: I voted no personally. I've never been a fan of voice chat. In my experience, it only strengthens the whole "clique" mentality further and makes people feel left out. Back in my FFXI days, I knew a group of people who used it during RP events all the time. I didn't (and several other members didn't) and we had no desire or need to. As such, we felt left out of a lot of things and those who were in the voice chat slowly got viewed as an impenetrable clique until they eventually stopped using it.

This.

RE: Gauging Interest: VoIP Server - Ciara Snow - 06-20-2013

i promise kylin i never go that way, i like to chat sometimes but i totally get where your coming from ive seen that happen on xi and xiv and though i enjoy talking to people i don't do it everyday~

Also in events I like to pay attention, though I like having it for things like dungeons when typing wastes precious time , I prefer to pay attention to my screen and type back to people and I also have a habit of having music or movies going

So I guess I vote yes but if it does become clique we should step back a little bit and remember both those in a talk program and those outside of it. Manners, and do prioritize typing to talking as your barely even in a situation where everyone is in the talk program itself.

RE: Gauging Interest: VoIP Server - John Spiegel - 06-20-2013

While I see voice chat being useful for end-game-y stuff, I voted "no". 

Back in FFXI, we got a Ventrilo thing together and like six of us used it a lot and no one else did. As a result, we kind of polarized the shell since the non-ventriloers didn't get in on our commentary or general BS-ing. We also ended up diluting the RP because we were just chatting so much OOCly. Eventually, we just kind of nixed the Ventrilo altogether.

(06-20-2013, 02:09 PM)Kylin Wrote:
Deirdre Wrote:If you don't want to socialize with others that's perfectly fine.

One can still socialize with others without voice related chat. Most have been doing it for years no problem xD. It's a comfort thing.

Sorry it's hard to get my point across on my phone.

I meant socialize via voice.

Lots of people in VoIP just sit and listen and communicate via the built in chat function.
Also, judging by the success of the OOC Skype chat, I don't see too many clique issues occurring, we all seem to get along.

RE: Gauging Interest: VoIP Server - miyasha - 06-20-2013

I personally don't have a problem with either VoIP program.  I've had Vent installed for various XI and XIV shells, and while I've never used mumble I'm not opposed to trying it out.

RE: Gauging Interest: VoIP Server - Aeiteil Strand - 06-20-2013

(06-20-2013, 02:02 PM)Kylin Wrote: I voted no personally. I've never been a fan of voice chat. In my experience, it only strengthens the whole "clique" mentality further and makes people feel left out. Back in my FFXI days, I knew a group of people who used it during RP events all the time. I didn't (and several other members didn't) and we had no desire or need to. As such, we felt left out of a lot of things and those who were in the voice chat slowly got viewed as an impenetrable clique until they eventually stopped using it.

I do agree completely, but some people get a long in a better light during real chat. It brings a different side of OOC out. I would never ever RP in that!

I do hear you though, and I do agree.