Hydaelyn Role-Players
To all RL Culinarians - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: To all RL Culinarians (/showthread.php?tid=252)

Pages: 1 2 3

To all RL Culinarians - Renaise - 07-17-2010

There was a project I was considering doing in FFXI for a little while but never got around to and that's making a FFXI theme cookbook :study:

Now FFXIV is on the horizon I am thinking about it again. So I was wondering, if anyone out there has some good recipes they would submit to the cookbook Smile

All you have to do is post it here, or PM it to me and come up with a FFXIV inspired name for it.

I have a couple of recipes I'll likely submit but just have to finalise them. :afro:

Re: To all RL Culinarians - Renaise - 07-17-2010

(I've adapted this from a recipe I had in a book somewhere, its been changed a little over the years.)

WARNING: Contains Booze

Drowning Wench BBQ sauce:

Ingredients

180 ml whiskey or Jaegermeister
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon salt
60 ml Worcestershire sauce
110 g brown sugar
½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
475 ml ketchup
65 g tomato paste
½ medium onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, finely diced
80 ml balsamic vinegar
30 ml liquid smoke flavouring

In a frying pan, combine the onion, garlic, and alcohol. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add ground black pepper, salt, ketchup, tomato paste, vinegar, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Re: To all RL Culinarians - Aveline - 07-17-2010

Eee! Focant and I were planning on doing cooking "episodes" once a week once the game comes out where we take FFXIV recipes and make tasty RL versions of them. I can't speak entirely for Focant but I am sure we both would love to participate in this project. ^_^

Black Shroud Brownies
1 c. flour
3/4 c. high quality unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. salt
6 tbsp. butter, cubed
8 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped up
3/4 c. white chocolate chips
2 large eggs & 1 egg yolk
1 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. stout beer (Overcast Espresso Stout by Oakshire Brewing is my favorite for this recipe)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x9" baking pan.

Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.

In a saucepan, melt butter, chocolate, & white chocolate together over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until smooth.

In a large bowl, beat eggs & sugar together on high, add melted chocolate mixture & stir until combined.

Stir in flour mixture, then whisk in beer.

Pour into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.

I like the idea of episodes too Smile

But yes, doing recipes for the food that is actually in FFXIV is good XD

Anyone have a list of the food that is available so far? Or isn't there any?

So far for sure there are meat miqabobs and aldgoat steaks. Will research for more Big Grin

Aveline Wrote:So far for sure there are meat miqabobs and aldgoat steaks. Will research for more Big Grin

I actually have a recipe for goat steak somewhere >.> but maybe normal beef or pork steak would be a better idea XD

Re: To all RL Culinarians - Focant - 07-17-2010

Haha yeah I actually managed to make 1 recipe from FFXI which was a Tavnazian Salad. After that I never got around to doing more but I love the idea of making a real life cookbook based on XI and XIV dishes.

I'm not really a good cook in real life and the whole project also doubled as practice for me. Anyways I'd love to participate in this. Tongue

Sounds good Smile I dont know if it would be better to emulate the ingredients used for each dish as it is made in game, or if we could just take the name and make something that fits the name and general idea of it.

Say meat miqabobs required a piece of Aldgoat meat, and an onion to create would we stick to just those (replacing the meat with something real Tongue) or should we deviate to make something tasty in the spirit of the dish like a Kofte Kebab?

One more for now. ^_^

Basic Perfect Pie Crust - Makes 1 crust
There are three kinds of pie-bakers in the world: those that prefer all-butter crusts, those that prefer all-lard crusts, and those that prefer a mix of the two. (Well there's also vegetable-shortening-crust lovers but I rarely run in to them). Personally, I prefer the all-butter method for the flavor, and find that if you follow the steps well and use high-quality ingredients it's hard to go wrong. FFXI's pie crust recipe used butter, too, so for game "authenticity" I'll stick with butter for this recipe.

1 1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 c. butter: chilled and cut into small cubes
1/8-1/4 c. ice water

Combine flour, salt, & sugar & process/blend until well mixed.

Add butter cubes and process (in a food processor or with a pastry blender) until the mixture resembles coarse meal. It is easiest to do this in a chilled glass bowl with a chilled pastry blender if doing by hand.

Pour 1/8 c. water into the bowl in a slow & steady stream, mixing as you go until the dough holds together when pinched. Add a little more water if needed, up to 1/4 cup.

Turn dough out onto work surface and roll into a ball. Flatten into a disk, wrap well with plastic wrap, and chill for 30-60 minutes before using.

-After chilling-
Place on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a 13" circle. Gently transfer to a 9" pie plate. Brush off any excess flour and tuck overhanging pastry under itself.

Refrigerate (again, covered in plastic wrap) 30 minutes before use with your favorite pie recipe.

Renaise Wrote:Sounds good Smile I dont know if it would be better to emulate the ingredients used for each dish as it is made in game, or if we could just take the name and make something that fits the name and general idea of it.

Say meat miqabobs required a piece of Aldgoat meat, and an onion to create would we stick to just those (replacing the meat with something real Tongue) or should we deviate to make something tasty in the spirit of the dish like a Kofte Kebab?

Uppin' mah post count, awww yeeeah.

Well, the FFXI mithkabob recipe includes the following:
* 1 x Kazham Peppers
* 1 x Cockatrice Meat
* 1 x Mhaura Garlic
* 1 x Wild Onion

And the FFXIV little icon for miqabobs looks pretty similar (I -think- I saw peppers in it) so it would probably end up being similar to the FFXI version. But yeah I think we definitely could take some creative license in adding spices to the meat beyond garlic. Big Grin I think it would be fun to make dishes inspired by the ingredients list in the FFXIV recipes but with some of our own twists (especially the ones that require few ingredients).

Re: To all RL Culinarians - Tyriont - 07-17-2010

Captain Gaidal's Cupcakes
Cupcakes - a treat enjoyed by everyone all over Eorzea. Captain of the Phoenix Pirates, Tyriont Gaidal, developed his own recipe which introduces a fundamental change to the basic design and makes it thoroughly unsuitable for children. To use the Captain's own words: "Rum makes everything better!"

WARNING: Contains alcohol. Obviously. It's Ty.

Rum Cupcakes

1 cup chopped pecans, toasted

1 18-1/2 ounce yellow cake mix
1 1-3/4 ounce (4-serving size) instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup cold milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup dark rum

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

2. Line muffin pan with paper liners. Sprinkle toasted pecans on the bottom of liners.

3. Combine all cake ingredients in a large stainless steel bowl. Beat for 2 minutes on high with electric mixer.

4. Pour batter into prepared cups.

5. Bake for 27-29 minutes or until toothpick comes out of center completly clean.

6. Cool on a cooling rack. Prick top of cupcakes with toothpick.

7. COOL CUPCAKES COMPLETELY, then dip cupcakes into Buttered Rum Glaze.

Buttered Rum Glaze

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark rum

1. Melt butter in saucepan.

2. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly.

3. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Be very careful when adding the rum, it will cause steam, so you do not want to brn yourself on this step!

Buttercream Frosting

1 package(s) 16 ounces, confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 Tbsp milk, plus up to 2 tablespoons more, as needed
As much rum as you wish, without ruining the consistency.

1. Before starting, place your stainless steel bowl and the arms for mixer into the freezer, for about 5 minutes. The cold bowl and arms form stiffer peaks in your frosting.

2. In large bowl, with mixer at medium-low speed, beat sugar, butter, vanilla, and 4 tablespoons milk until blended.

3. Increase speed to medium-high; beat until light and fluffy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.

4. Beat in more milk as needed for easy spreading consistency.

5. Once the cupcake is glazed, a dollop of of buttercream frosting added, drizzle remaining glaze over the top of the buttercream and insert a vanilla filled Pirouette cookie if you wish.

Those cupcakes are on my "to make next" list XD

I just realized we're all over the world for this project. Big Grin I'm going to convert my recipes here to metric from now on. I've been meaning to switch over anyway, since I heard it is much more accurate for baking.

Re: To all RL Culinarians - Focant - 07-17-2010

I wish I had some recipes to contribute. Sad

For the salad I made I used ingredients similar to the ones listed in the game. I altered it a bit to fill in some gaps but overall I tried to make it as true to erm... virtual life, as I could. I think a good mix of direct dish translations and custom creations would be the best way of going about it, incorporating all the great recipes you guys probably know with ones provided by the game.

Focant Wrote:I think a good mix of direct dish translations and custom creations would be the best way of going about it, incorporating all the great recipes you guys probably know with ones provided by the game.

Yeah I think that's the best way to go about it actually Big Grin

Looking forward to it