Hydaelyn Role-Players
Favorite Comic hero? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Favorite Comic hero? (/showthread.php?tid=2528)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Favorite Comic hero? - Ashren Dotharl - 07-08-2013

[Image: cmNqaZR.jpg]

Chimichanga.

RE: Favorite Comic hero? - Rhynka - 07-08-2013

[Image: 2490481-dawn01.jpg]

Sexy lover to death himself!!!

Heart

"Every time I died I thought of you..."

(07-08-2013, 04:48 AM)Razamir Lahoka Wrote: [Image: rogue___gambit_wallpaper_by_new_moon_nightmikechoi.jpg]
 Gambit and Rogue were my two fav comic book heros.  Still to this day I love these two..  It really makes me sad how they portrayed him in the origins movie.  I just loved his flare, and how he was always the smooth talker.   And Rogue, other than being my fav was Rhynka's fav as well.
I also love and admire Rogue...

Gambit is cool, but he's the guy you shoulda left at the bar when going home!

RE: Favorite Comic hero? - Ellie - 07-08-2013

If I had to choose a favorite...

[Image: Rurouni-Kenshin-Wallpaper-HD-8.jpg]

"Anime and manga don't count Ellie!" I hear you saying. Maybe not, but Kenshin Himura has the qualities of a superhero. Super speed, super senses, has great skill, and he uses it to save people. Sure, he wasn't bitten by a radioactive spider or sent to earth from a dying star, but those are just icing, really.

And while I do have western superheros that I like a lot, I'd be lying if I listed any of them as my favorite, not when I'll always have this awesome character in the forefront of my mind.

RE: Favorite Comic hero? - Ashren Dotharl - 07-08-2013

(07-08-2013, 05:13 AM)Ellie Wrote: "Anime and manga don't count Ellie!" I hear you saying. Maybe not, but Kenshin Himura has the qualities of a superhero. Super speed, super senses, has great skill, and he uses it to save people.

Him.... and 90% of every other anime character Tongue Kenshin was awesome and I loved the Samurai X movies, but still I don't think he's appropriate to call a superhero. No more than say, Goku.

Of course, if Kenshin is a viable option I'd like to change my vote to Doctor Who. In 50 years he's probably saved Earth more than any other comic hero in existence. Not only that, but he's saved countless other planets, and time itself, as well.

RE: Favorite Comic hero? - Ryanti - 07-08-2013

Much more of an anime guy then a comic guy... western comixxxxx...aahhhhhhh...Huh

But:

[Image: spider-man2_pole_4681.jpg]

And I choose him because of Peter Parker. There's one little trend about every single Super Hero that I kind of.. dislike. That trend has to do with the fact that every single super hero is a super person. What I mean by super person, is that they are always some kind of experiment, or awesome kind of superhuman sort of.. thing.

The identity of the hero always has a billion things going for them. Whether it be, oh, they are some sexy billionaire. They have this awesome genetic mutation. They have double D breasts and a snake tongue. They reap fame, fortune, and they're just the star of the friggin' town.

Even if they are labeled as outcasts or some shit, they are always either sexy, or badass.

Peter Parker / Spider-Man.. was the first super hero I saw whom.. was just a guy.

Not just a guy, but a teen, someone young, who eventually goes to college and stuff but y'know.. he's a geek. A nerd. An awkward somewhat-socially unsuccessful person.

He's nothing... special. That's what I love about him. How he ends up becoming a Superhero by accident.

I suppose Captain America is somewhat the same but... he becomes this huge, ripped hunk. Peter get muscles, yeah, but it's a swimmer's body. It's nothing too.. ridiculously photoshop-magazine glamorous.

He's not arrogant. Or full of himself. Or a witty talker-doer. He's just trying to do what he thinks is right, and his struggle is something I can relate to.

He reminds me of what would happen if just some.. boy, happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. With great power, comes great responsibility and the responsibility aspect I also love about him.

Aren't you happy I didn't say Deadpool?

RE: Favorite Comic hero? - CallmeYahweh - 07-08-2013

Oh man oh man oh man. How did I not see this sooner?

There are some seriously awesome choices being made here. I'll add my own to the pot:

1.[Image: tumblr_madmqwwaZa1qzizmho1_500.jpg]

Morpheus is on here already. And while the Dream King is definitely one of my favorites, the crown of Sandman goes to either Destruction, or Desire. Desire wins out because well, it's Desire! How can you say no to that? Aside from the machinations that are pulled in Sandman, I have heard that Desire was based upon both Annie Lennox and David Bowie.

2.[Image: bigby_wolf_01.jpg]

Bigby Wolf. Fables has a lot of fantastic characters in it but Bigby is easily far and away my favorite. He's that growly, surly guy with a heart of gold, same sort of character as Hellboy, really. Plus he's a PI. Werewolves and film noir, why don't they mix more often?

3.[Image: robotdisguise.jpg]

Antimony Carver from Gunnerkrigg Court. I stumbled upon the webcomic several years ago and fell instantly in love. The mix of mythology, alchemy and good, old fashioned powerful storytelling won me over in a heartbeat. But I may not have been able to get that far in, and look passed the somewhat (initially) odd art style if Annie wasn't half as interesting as she is.

4.[Image: 5538350322_90e587e0b2.jpg]

Batman. He's on here already but I mean, what little kid doesn't wish they were Batman at somepoint in their life?

RE: Favorite Comic hero? - Orlog - 07-08-2013

(07-08-2013, 04:48 AM)Xenedra Wrote: The superman debate doesn't really seem so bad to me, though I got a message or two about it. I'm going to suggest that if you guys really want to continue the discussion and don't feel it belongs here that you take it to PMs. Simple as that : )

In the meantime, if you would like to continue debating in the public forum, the thread has been split for your convenience:
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=2680

Thanks!

I'm...not entirely sure why the discussion on Superman was deleted (if someone was shouting "hostile", I'm going to lose my shit, 'cause honestly knowing both of them, they were just nerding out, even going as far to continue the discussion outside of the boards for like... hours, without any animosity!), but ok. But, the thread posted above doesn't seem to exist? I'm not sure if that's an issue on my end or what.

Also, to some of you who have mentioned it in a few posts, feel free to talk about anime characters, if you feel so inclined! Manga and Comics are essentially the same thing anyway. :>

RE: Favorite Comic hero? - Shuck - 07-08-2013

(07-08-2013, 04:48 AM)Xenedra Wrote: The superman debate doesn't really seem so bad to me, though I got a message or two about it. I'm going to suggest that if you guys really want to continue the discussion and don't feel it belongs here that you take it to PMs. Simple as that : )

In the meantime, if you would like to continue debating in the public forum, the thread has been split for your convenience:
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=2680

Thanks!

Seriously? I can't even have a civil discussion with another guild member of mine, where we both state our bits, and talk for a while without someone outside the conversation entirely complaining about it, and wanting it removed? How do you justify that? I mean...really, is it just my posts? When do you guys put a stop to that? Am I allowed to just report whatever I see from people I happen to not like, and get it shunted to anywhere else, simply because.

God damn, guys. You can't just bubble-wrap us all. May as well shut down the entire forum to protect people's super-fragile feelings from maybe getting hurt.

On topic:

[Image: 55_JohnStewart.jpg]

This guy right here. I am convinced he is the single greatest Green Lantern of all time, and now I'm gonna tell you why:

It all starts back when he was introduced. Jordan had ordered Mr. Stewart here to protect an overtly racist politician from an assassination attempt. It was, at the time, the Lantern's job to kind of play "police". John had some serious reservations about the issue, but went along with Jordan right up until it was time to intervene. That's when he said "nope". The whole thing turned out to be a set-up by the politician himself to garner the sympathy vote, and when Stewart didn't try to protect him, it exposed the whole thing.

Now, this is important because it shows John Stewart is willing to analyze a situation before riding in on his white horse. He's an architect. He builds things, he takes them apart, he understands them. Jordan, Rayner and Gardner? They kind of...don't. They lack foresight.

Also, at one point, Stewart reconstructs a planet and blows a willpower fuse in his ring. Fact.

RE: Favorite Comic hero? - Kyatai - 07-08-2013

(07-05-2013, 08:11 PM)Rock Sandbourne Wrote: For Supes I suggest reading All Star Superman and J. Michael Strazynski's (sp?) run. .....
I'd read that just because J.Michael penned it.
I am/was a HUGE B5 fan.
Huge.
H.U.G.E.

If he could bring the kind of character development to Supes as he did to G'Kar, Garibaldi, Lando and the rest??? Yeah...

RE: Favorite Comic hero? - Martiallais - 07-08-2013

(07-08-2013, 04:46 PM)Shuck Wrote:
[Image: 55_JohnStewart.jpg]

This guy right here. I am convinced he is the single greatest Green Lantern of all time, and now I'm gonna tell you why:

It all starts back when he was introduced. Jordan had ordered Mr. Stewart here to protect an overtly racist politician from an assassination attempt. It was, at the time, the Lantern's job to kind of play "police". John had some serious reservations about the issue, but went along with Jordan right up until it was time to intervene. That's when he said "nope". The whole thing turned out to be a set-up by the politician himself to garner the sympathy vote, and when Stewart didn't try to protect him, it exposed the whole thing.

Now, this is important because it shows John Stewart is willing to analyze a situation before riding in on his white horse. He's an architect. He builds things, he takes them apart, he understands them. Jordan, Rayner and Gardner? They kind of...don't. They lack foresight.

Also, at one point, Stewart reconstructs a planet and blows a willpower fuse in his ring. Fact.

Two things!

First. Holy shit, yes. Big Grin Shuck, I've always liked your posts and this just proved why. *applauds*

Second, I think the thread was moved over to "With Great Power" (not sure if that's the same link as Xenedra gave though).

RE: Favorite Comic hero? - Uther - 07-08-2013

No.

I'm a huge Superman fan and this is the "Favorite Comic Hero" thread, so this is where I'm going to discuss him. Anyone and everyone here can disagree with me, but I'm not going to censor myself to another thread to avoid offending someone. He's a fucking fictional alien hero from America's Golden Age. Get over it.

The debate goes on.
[Image: IWTY026_005.jpg]

Come at me, bro.

Here are two of the many great moments from Kingdom Come that I feel show a lot of depth in the Superman character and it makes for an outstanding read.

[Image: tumblr_m5zpc24TvC1qjzyxso1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_m3kubzixI81qjzyxso1_1280.jpg]

RE: Favorite Comic hero? - Jayce Lightfall - 07-08-2013

[Image: im_large_660.jpg]

I've always been a fan of Iron Man. It caught my attention while I was going through a engineering/technology stage and has stayed with me since. Plus, who doesn't want to be a rich, philanthropic playboy? Haha

RE: Favorite Comic hero? - Desmond Aryll - 07-08-2013

I've been a huge Cyclops fan since I was a little kid. At first what I admired was his responsibility as leader. While other more roguish *cough Wolverine cough* X-men came and went, there were very few characters that put the idealism of the team ahead of their own interests and Scott Summers was the first among them.

And now that he's a "villain" to many characters and readers alike I see it as a very reasonable road that he's traveled. After all, no one has waved the flag for Human/Mutant equality more than he in public and in battle and it's brought him nothing but anguish and still nowhere closer to his goals.
I understand he's now a very polarizing guy but that makes him even more interesting to me. He's no longer a Superman-esque primary-colored hero but a flawed individual and I can't wait to see what's in store for him.

[Image: 302890_4947869291671_460820812_n.jpg]
Kent Nelson/ Nabu -- Doctor Fate

This character is not a mantle, but an actual entity. Anyone who wears the Helm of Nabu simply becomes a vessel for the force known as Doctor Fate. In some continuities, the wearer of the helmet even goes insane after long enough exposure to the sheer power that comes with it. Nabu provides enough power to make Superman look like a toddler and enough wisdom to make Gandalf look like an idiot, but with it comes an inevitable descent into madness and loss of one's self. Allegedly inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft, the Doctor Fate story is one based on forgotten relics, unimaginable power, and irrevocable insanity.

Although Smallville is not a great canon indicator of a character, I thought this was appropriate:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOTXequBzog Â