Hydaelyn Role-Players
Some respect please, this is addressed to all - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Some respect please, this is addressed to all (/showthread.php?tid=2604)

Pages: 1 2 3

Some respect please, this is addressed to all - Gideon Aryeh - 07-04-2013

With the recent winning of Gilgamesh as the non legacy rp server, myself and I am sure many others will be making threads to help and assist the community there. I humbly ask those who do not wish to roleplay on Gilgamesh to do one thing

Respect the Gilgamesh oriented threads Is all I ask. We KNOW Balmung is the primary server at this point in time for the roleplayers. We do not need constant reminders of this in threads primarily addressed to the Gilgamesh community. I am asking to either wish us well or as the old saying goes "If you have nothing nice to say, please say nothing at all". I am asking nicely to not have to deal with passive aggressive comments on Gilgamesh being the smaller community or Balmung having more roleplayers and the like.  I am happy that there is a Balmung and I am happy that there is a Gilgamesh too. I will never say anything that prevents anyone from going to our big/brother sister server. People should choose the place they want to play.

We KNOW this is a Balmung centric site. We don't need to be reminded of this in Gilgamesh oriented threads. The fact that the voting results not being posted as an article on the front page says enough.

So again all I ask is that we all respect each others choices. This is NOT a competition. More options means more places to roleplay for everybody and I personally think that is a good thing. People also transfer servers all the time. Those who start off on Gilgamesh may decide to transfer to Balmung at one point, and that's fine by me and the same thing may happen in reverse. People should be where they are happy.

Can we not respect each others choices?

After all are we not all roleplayers at the end of the day enjoying the same game? Can't we all be positive and be happy for each other?

And please no pms asking me to reconsider. I am playing on Gilgamesh, I want to help build up the community there with whoever is interested. I want to have a great place for roleplayers to go if they wish to go there.

Just as great as Balmung.

Whatever happened to The Golden Rule? Treat others as you would treat yourself?

Believe me you do more to attract roleplayers by being a positive influence instead of by making passive aggressive comments to shame them into coming to where you want them to. We are all adults here, lets act like it.

I also ask the mods here for some assistance in this matter.

*Extends an olive branch in respect and peaceful coexistence*

RE: Some respect please, this is addressed to all - Torn Sky - 07-04-2013

I just want to say that I have a lot of respect for your proactive attitude when it comes to Gilgamesh. I feel that you will most certainly help give the new server's RP community a great beginning and I wish you the best of luck.

I'll be resuming my 1.0 character on Balmung come phase 4, but knowing me I'll most likely be tempted to create an alt for Gilgamesh if all goes well. Moogle

RE: Some respect please, this is addressed to all - Gideon Aryeh - 07-04-2013

(07-04-2013, 02:27 AM)Torn Sky Wrote: I just want to say that I have a lot of respect for your proactive attitude when it comes to Gilgamesh. I feel that you will most certainly help give the new server's RP community a great beginning and I wish you the best of luck.

I'll be resuming my 1.0 character on Balmung come phase 4, but knowing me I'll most likely be tempted to create an alt for Gilgamesh if all goes well. Moogle

Which ever way you decide to go I will be happy, if you decide to make an alt on Gilgamesh come on over and enjoy spending time with us!

RE: Some respect please, this is addressed to all - Vanschiver - 07-04-2013

Wouldn't it be easier to just make a separate section on the forums for Gilgamesh stuffs? To avoid confusion.

(07-04-2013, 02:43 AM)Vanschiver Wrote: Wouldn't it be easier to just make a separate section on the forums for Gilgamesh stuffs? To avoid confusion.
 A subforum is coming soon. Regardless we wouldn't want such posts in the threads on the subforum. Besides, when I make these threads I am and will be very specific who I am talking to.

RE: Some respect please, this is addressed to all - Eva - 07-04-2013

If this thread's creation was prompted by this...

(07-04-2013, 12:56 AM)Eva Wrote:
(07-04-2013, 12:38 AM)MrHeat Wrote: I'll be rolling on this server. I may be shunned though. Just got done reading the hand book and it would seem Mr. Heats back ground is a no no.
Oh, the handbook is meant to be more of a guideline than any sort of rigid rule. You could make a post with your ideas/plans in the RP Discussion area to solicit feedback. With so many different RPers with so many different backgrounds, it is likely that there will be some folks or a group that will have similar ideals. Then again, it also looks like Gilgamesh will have a smaller pool of RPers overall, so I may be mistaken. But I would certainly take your ideas to the discussion board if you have any concerns about how they may be received.

...than let me assure you that I meant no ill-will towards Gilgamesh or those planning to RP there. I realize this thread was geared towards those on Gilgamesh, but the poster remarked on the RP Handbook which I helped author, and I felt compelled to reply. It was merely an observational statement and intended to help MrHeat and had nothing to do with my opinions on the separate server at all. I know my views on the matter have been stated in the past and are pretty clear and I am sorry I will not be able to RP with those who are adamant on choosing to play there instead of with the majority, but this was genuinely not intended as a passive-aggressive jab. If that's what you thought, than I'm sorry that I gave that impression.

Part of choosing to be on a server that will inevitably have a smaller population of RPers is that this matter is going to come up from time to time throughout discussion, and it would be nice if it was not knee-jerked and distorted into being a passive-aggressive thing when that happens.

I agree to some extent with Vanschiver's post. If there was a separate forum or subforum geared specifically for those planning to play on Gilgamesh, I would be happy to click the little "Mark as Read" pearl and never see any of that stuff. Perhaps this is something the RPC can help facilitate if everyone agrees it would be to everyone's advantage.

RE: Some respect please, this is addressed to all - Varus - 07-04-2013

+1 for this thread. It's great to see such strong promotion for Gilgamesh!

RE: Some respect please, this is addressed to all - moody - 07-04-2013

I'm not seeing the disrespect being talked about here. 

Here's the thing. As far as I can tell this is a general RP subforum. When you post in it people from Balmung, Gilgamesh, and any other servers that have a bit of RP population to them. 

While I have no dislike or disrespect for the RP community on Gilgamesh (and will likely roll up an alt there for more casual usage) I'm also unsure of what's going on that they don't deserve any interaction from the rest of the community just because the threads have a target audience who are most likely to be interested in the thread. The other thread seems like a good example. While it is nominally about Gilgamesh the first post is good general RP guide. 

The event idea is obviously gilgamesh centric but someone on another server may want to ask about your ideas and/or permission to host a similar event elsewhere. 

Mr. Heat's post was a concern about his character style vs. another post entirely, so it seems appropriate that the author of that post pitch in.

Maybe there's been harassment by PM, and in that case I'd fully support the Mods getting involved. I'm just not sure what public harassment spawned this particular thread or why it needed a public hearing.

RE: Some respect please, this is addressed to all - MrHeat - 07-04-2013

(07-04-2013, 03:18 AM)moody Wrote: I'm not seeing the disrespect being talked about here. 

Here's the thing. As far as I can tell this is a general RP subforum. When you post in it people from Balmung, Gilgamesh, and any other servers that have a bit of RP population to them. 

While I have no dislike or disrespect for the RP community on Gilgamesh (and will likely roll up an alt there for more casual usage) I'm also unsure of what's going on that they don't deserve any interaction from the rest of the community just because the threads have a target audience who are most likely to be interested in the thread. The other thread seems like a good example. While it is nominally about Gilgamesh the first post is good general RP guide. 

The event idea is obviously gilgamesh centric but someone on another server may want to ask about your ideas and/or permission to host a similar event elsewhere. 

Mr. Heat's post was a concern about his character style vs. another post entirely, so it seems appropriate that the author of that post pitch in.

Maybe there's been harassment by PM, and in that case I'd fully support the Mods getting involved. I'm just not sure what public harassment spawned this particular thread or why it needed a public hearing.
I believe Rocks post was mostly directed to some of the posters from the Balmung or Gilgamesh thread. I read no Ill will from Eva when she replied to me and understood what she was.saying and thanked her for her clearing that up for me.

RE: Some respect please, this is addressed to all - PeriasGift - 07-04-2013

(07-04-2013, 02:45 AM)Rock Sandbourne Wrote:
(07-04-2013, 02:43 AM)Vanschiver Wrote: Wouldn't it be easier to just make a separate section on the forums for Gilgamesh stuffs? To avoid confusion.
 A subforum is coming soon. Regardless we wouldn't want such posts in the threads on the subforum. Besides, when I make these threads I am and will be very specific who I am talking to.

I'm a bit confused on a few levels here. I understand that there are some people reminding you that this site is mostly for Balmung and I could understand not wanting reminders like that on a sub-forum for Gilgamesh. That just wouldn't make sense. However I wouldn't want people to feel like they're split into groups on the forums just because of there server choice, especially because some people are going to be rolling on both. If there's a cool thread on the Gilgamesh site I think that the people on Balmung should feel free to comment on it and vice-versa. 

Also, if you want your threads to be towards only specific people I'd suggest keeping it to PMs. With the exception of closed RP threads, I'm pretty sure anyone can post in any thread that they like. They just need to be civil and follow the rules!

RE: Some respect please, this is addressed to all - moody - 07-04-2013

(07-04-2013, 04:18 AM)MrHeat Wrote: I believe Rocks post was mostly directed to some of the posters from the Balmung or Gilgamesh thread. I read no Ill will from Eva when she replied to me and understood what she was.saying and thanked her for her clearing that up for me.

That confuses me even more. That thread was about deciding between the two servers. Of course people had an opinion on which was better and supported it. 

Huh

Alright first time out everyone as some assumptions are being made.

This post was addressing the posts about the need to put reminders about Gilgamesh being the secondary/smaller/etc server on the Roleplaying on Gilgamesh thread. Since I've been here I've seen too many posts that in my opinion have come off with either a passive aggressive or condescending tone towards those that wish to rp on another server. I am respectfully asking that this stops overall. Especially in threads that are addressing those that will  be roleplaying on Gilgamesh as their first server choice. I saw three posts that I felt were going in this direction. Before seeing anymore I decided to make this thread asking for respectful peaceful coexistence without the reminders that Balmung is the primary/more populated server on a thread that is directly addressing the community on Gilgamesh. Its not needed and honestly it comes off as a bit rude and yes passive aggressive, regardless of whether or not it is fact, or whether or not it is gift wrapped in "I really would love to rp with you guys". If the opposite were happening I would also make a comment asking those that are doing it to stop.

I also received a PM asking me to reconsider my server choice, while I guess I should be flattered I'm not. I'm into helping the Gilgamesh community in the long haul.

Peria, the addressing was to the new Gilgamesh server roieplayers as a whole, not any particular individuals. I am still getting to know everyone who will be roleplaying on Gilgamesh. I have not at one point said "Oh if you are playing on Balmung please don't post here". I have made the statement "Please wish us well and if you don't have anything nice to say please don't say anything at all". This was in reaction to two other posts and a seemingly constant reminder of the server having a smaller pool of roleplayers - even if that is the case, is it something at this point that needs to be constantly said?. Everyone who voted and is playing on Gilgamesh is aware of this, and they have made their choice. Positive posts that help are always welcome no matter who they are coming from and where you are playing.

Moody I asked for the mods assistance in keeping things civil and respectful. Not for a public hearing, but more in a "guys lets be respectful of each other" manner - that's it.

I hope this clears anything up and I go back to asking that we all be civil with each other and respect each others posts and choices and keep things to a positive vibe.

RE: Some respect please, this is addressed to all - Xenedra - 07-04-2013

Let's not make this a debate, eh? This just a request that people be a little bit more mindful of what they say in server threads. If it's a thread directed at the members going to Gilga, there's no need to remind them that the "main server" (using the term loosely) is Balmung. If someone asks about it, let 'em know. If not? They probably already know :). Check the topic titles and threads themselves again if you have any doubts on who's being addressed. We're all going to love and be proud of our servers (we hope), but remember to be respectful of the others :3.

RE: Some respect please, this is addressed to all - Tsori - 07-04-2013

Edit: What he said ^

I think it would help if everyone got out the mindset that "this forum is for balmung" i mean..we have had the vote... a server was chosen, Why not just accept it as two equal RP servers, legacy and non-legacy. 

What i mean is, sure right now gilgamesh is the smaller server purely because its literally just been chosen. However aside from the vocal minority on here, we don't know who is going where. This forum boasts about its subscriber count, yet people see a poll with 15/20 people and decide the majority is heading to balmung anyway, so the server vote was for the few. 

If we stopped using terms such as "minority" and "smaller server", which alot of you do in circumstances where its not needed, as you say eva your opinions have been known so why bother even putting in the line about small player counts in your reply when it added nothing to the conversation? It was based on assumption... an assumption no one has the facts to backup until launch. Now this isn't some attack at you, far from it, you just happened to bring an example to the thread for me.

It is basically the same as someone coming on and saying "if your after quality roleplay then maybe somewhere else than balmung is better, since it has such a high population of RP'ers the quantity may dilute it". Now if you saw that sentence you would all go up the wall crazy with abusive posts and outright deniles. The sentence doesn't say anything directly bad about balmung, its based on an opinion but it is put forward as fact.  This is the same thing. 

Tldr:

Stop inferring that the population status on gilgamesh is a bad thing. Or using it within topics aimed at gilgamesh players. No one wants your opinion on how bad the RP will be due to smaller populations, nor is it your place to give it in such threads.

RE: Some respect please, this is addressed to all - Amyr Mythweaver - 07-04-2013

I was not going to post on this thread being new here but the last post irritated me a little so I changed my mind.

I think those who are going to choose Gilgamesh as their new home are being overly sensitive I do not really see anyone trying to disparage Gilgamesh but its easy to understand why its being seen as the "second" or "smaller" RP server.  Perhaps just taking a step back for a moment and realising that this is not a new game but a rerelease and because of that things are different to a normal new MMO release.

The choice of which server we play on is not a choice of Balmung vs Gilgamesh but legacy vs non legacy each of us will decide where we want to play based on what we feel is the best place for us as individuals.  For many here that means a return to RPing with the community that existed in 1.0 of course they do not want to lose the investment of time in their characters, nor of friendships forged, or the RP experiences especially since as far as I can tell the RP community thrived.  Obviously their enthusiasm and excitement is high wanting the best for both themselves and the server they call home, part of that is of course wanting lots of new RP'ers to RP with.

So of course they will want to talk up Balmung its human nature, it is easy to understand that they see players opting for Gilgamesh as a lost opportunity for them and wished for all of us as RP'ers to be together (the more the merrier I always say!).  Of course those players choosing Gilgamesh are no less enthusiastic or excited they are looking forward to the slate wiped clean and a complete fresh start with everyone on a level playing field in a brand new game.

In the end none of us know which server might end up being the dominant one with regards to RP the future is a tricky thing to predict, luckily for us all the option to transfer servers will most likely be availiable after some time so we are not truly stuck with our server destination as a final stop.

With that said I view every single RP'er as a potential friend yet to be found, to me this site is not about which server you choose or play on but about RPing in FFXIV ARR it is a great site with lots of information, guides and reference material, it has a welcoming atmosphere and I for one do not feel we should let such a small detail as a server choice distract us from the excitement and fun we all shall have once the game goes live.

Long live Balmung and Gilgamesh!