Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lore Question - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Lore Question (/showthread.php?tid=2727)

Pages: 1 2

Lore Question - Nox - 07-10-2013

Could someone point me in the direction of all the Lore surrounding Ishgard/Dragoons? I'm rewriting my character's history and would like to know more, but can't find a whole lot. Thanks in advance.

RE: Lore Question - Gideon Aryeh - 07-10-2013

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ishgard

RE: Lore Question - Nox - 07-10-2013

(07-10-2013, 12:28 PM)Rock Sandbourne Wrote: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ishgard
I had that open, but I figured there was more to it than that. Maybe I'm wrong.

RE: Lore Question - Savarah - 07-10-2013

I haven't found a -lot- of lore on anything, cities, races, or otherwise. Here's to hoping SE will dump lore on us before launch!

RE: Lore Question - DimmerMeerkat - 07-10-2013

(07-10-2013, 12:33 PM)Seregelleth Wrote: I haven't found a -lot- of lore on anything, cities, races, or otherwise. Here's to hoping SE will dump lore on us before launch!
This.

Rakka'li and I have been searching for more specific lore on Keepers of the Moon, to further expand our backstories. I have a lot of ideas that I've got on the backburner to flesh out some history for their tribe, but without knowing basic customs and cultural ideals, it's risky to take any of those and run with them, for fear of lorebreaking. ._.

RE: Lore Question - Nox - 07-10-2013

(07-10-2013, 12:40 PM)DimmerMeerkat Wrote:
(07-10-2013, 12:33 PM)Seregelleth Wrote: I haven't found a -lot- of lore on anything, cities, races, or otherwise. Here's to hoping SE will dump lore on us before launch!
This.

Rakka'li and I have been searching for more specific lore on Keepers of the Moon, to further expand our backstories. I have a lot of ideas that I've got on the backburner to flesh out some history for their tribe, but without knowing basic customs and cultural ideals, it's risky to take any of those and run with them, for fear of lorebreaking. ._.
Pretty much. My character will be a Dragoon at some point in time and I'm trying to write it so he actually has a reason to pursue being one. I just want to know more about everything so I'm not lorebreaking or writing useless stuff.

RE: Lore Question - Savarah - 07-10-2013

The lack of Keeper lore is infuriating. Frustrated

As for my primary alt, I was gonna roll up a Sea Wolf female. I got to thinking about Ishgard and dragoons, and I need more info on Ishgard to see if that would be plausible.

Also, I don't know -jack- about Sharlayan.

RE: Lore Question - Eva - 07-10-2013

There is extremely little lore surrounding Ishgard and Dragoons. I would highly recommend running a YouTube search on the cutscenes from the Dragoon quests in 1.0 which may help shed a little light on it.

I RP a character that was born in Ishgard, but have had to distance myself a bit from that because there is so little information. Her earlier upbringing and her father's reasons for leaving might be made more clear once that information becomes available. I just don't want to make assumptions about it.

I know Uther RP's a character with a strong background in Ishgard as well. He might have some additional input.

RE: Lore Question - Adelpha - 07-11-2013

(07-10-2013, 12:57 PM)Seregelleth Wrote: Also, I don't know -jack- about Sharlayan.
I don't think anybody does, which is a little bit frustrating given that
Show Content

RE: Lore Question - Torn Sky - 07-11-2013

*shakes fist about the tiny blurb or two there is about the Hellsguard homeland*

Trying to write up Torn's origins has not been too fun either. At this point I'm going ahead and making up a few small, reasonable details to help give the beginning of her backstory at least a little bit of life-- Small enough that it would be easy to quietly retcon things if they turn out to be way off.

RE: Lore Question - DimmerMeerkat - 07-11-2013

I demand canon novels pre-release.

You've got like a month and a half, SE. Rdygo!

RE: Lore Question - Nox - 07-11-2013

(07-11-2013, 02:43 PM)DimmerMeerkat Wrote: I demand canon novels pre-release.

You've got like a month and a half, SE. Rdygo!
At least a big lore Codex (I.E. Warhammer 40k) or something.

RE: Lore Question - FreelanceWizard - 07-11-2013

It's a little off-topic, but one thing I'd suggest to those who are limiting their backstories at the risk of a collision with future canon is that you always have the option of saying, "this is how my family/tribe/etc. did it" and not asserting that the statements you're making are universal. That way, if someone disagrees with you or if the lore collides with you at a later date, you always have a fallback. That's a bit less viable when referring to entire other countries, of course, but if you were from a village in the territory of Ishgard, you can always make your history unique to your character. Even NPCs can get this treatment; if you say the dragoon that inspired you thought X, and subsequent lore says dragoons explicitly don't believe X, you can just say that it was just that one guy, and maybe he wandered into your village because he wasn't well-liked due to his beliefs, and so on.

RE: Lore Question - Savarah - 07-12-2013

Regarding Sharlayan:
Show Content

RE: Lore Question - Ashren Dotharl - 07-12-2013

(07-12-2013, 11:12 PM)Seregelleth Wrote: Regarding Sharlayan:
Show Content

Show Content