Hydaelyn Role-Players
RPC -- Who are we? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RPC -- Who are we? (/showthread.php?tid=28)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Re: RPC -- Who are we? - Smiling River - 03-17-2010

I don't see how personal grudges and being ignored could be solved by the RPC anyway. If one person simply can't stand another's RP, or their OOC nature they shouldn't be forced to interact with them just because it's a RPC event. This is just me though, I don't know about everyone else. Everyone's trying to have fun in the end after all. Rolleyes

Re: RPC -- Who are we? - Nanapariri - 03-17-2010

I'll put an example of how you'd handle IC and OOC in a guild post from experience and a hypotheical scenario.

As a note: There are always people that start an OOC grudge from IC. There are always people that take things too far. There will always be differences of opinion. You can't please or include everyone in everything and feeling will be hurt. How do you get around this? Good OOC Communication.

With any event there should be a discussion and question and answer thread in the event post where most things can be aired out ahead of time. If you aren't sure you can come to an event give an OOC note to the LS and ask.

Example:

A post of the FishyFaceLaLa LS, a Lalafaliel only fisherman's Group (ie they RP as a fisheman's guild), pot the following:

Name of Event: Fishtatic Saturday
In-game Contact: lululalalele
POS: H7
Date: Saturday 5/8/11
Time: 8:00 PM Pacific

Description:

IC: Come and get to know your mates better! Bring Guests and Family. There will be food and contests to see who can catch the biggest fish, gut the fish and make the most fish dishes in 5 minutes.

No Thieves Allowed!

OOC: This is a guild event but we are leaving it open to the public but you must apply in this thread. The no theives comment is IC since our guild is RPing a fued with ThievesGo LS. If you are a thief and want to come or have questions post here. We welcome IC crashers but please no unexpected ones at the event.

----------------------------------------------------
Kittyclepto posts:

Hi Lu sounds fun. TheivesGo would love to crash you guys IC. It would be a fun RP!

What do you say!

_____

Lululalalele posts:

Sure! If you plan to do anything that might ICly disrupt the contests would be the only problem. If you guys keep it to just crashing and participating and arguing its good.

-----

Kittyclepto posts:

That's reasonable Lu but I was hoping to challenge you to a duel. We can do it after your contests end. You know put on a real show for everyone.

----

Lululalalele posts:

Sure. PM me and w can hash the rest out.

---

Mo'quote Fisherman:

Hey Lu. I'm not in your guild and know none of you guys IC. I'd love to come though.

---

Lululalalele posts:

No problem we can RP meeting and I'll invite you IC. How's that?

Part of planning a large event is the prestuff and being proactive. If its a limited or closed event like the above job specific one then you just clarify ahead of time.

In the above example say ThievesGo crashes without posting. In that case Lululalalele would send a tell to CleptoKitty, the LS Leader, and talk it out. She would have the right to say. "I'm sorry it would of been fun but we posted in the thread if you wanted to come you needed to post and work things out ahead of time. I don't have time to figure things out right now." If TheivesGo got mad and started disrupting Lululalalele would call the GM if they wouldn't stop.

Lululalalele also could take the time to hash it out there and let them come. Its up to her.

Bottomline: You can't police everything and you have to have trust your fellow coalition members to handle thing intelligently. In the 2 years I RPed on Starsider I never saw the huge horrible problems develope you all are worried about. I think you are making it more complex than it needs to be. What's the point of a coalitions if you aren't going to trust people with enough freedom to have fun?

Re: RPC -- Who are we? - Eva - 03-17-2010

Castiel Wrote:I was thinking of perhaps having each individual guild choose 1-2 RPC representatives and forming a "high council" of sorts from that.
It's a good idea but perhaps something less illustrious than 'high council' as far as the nomenclature goes. May I put my nomination in for "poor saps"? Or perhaps no name at all. You're apt to get a lot of [unqualified] people interested in such a position (even if it is strictly OOC for administration purposes) by giving it a more regal title than it really deserves for what I once called "the perceived status factor."

The rest of it I like, and I see your point more clearly now Solana, and I agree. Thank you for the clarification.

I also agree that the "RPer Profile" idea brought forth by Tsumi and think that would be an excellent addition to these forums.

I also agree 110% with Verence's post and have witnessed this firsthand a few dozen times. The RPC should not be responsible for personal conflicts. The involved individuals should work it out themselves, or take it to their guild leadership if no compromise can be made (and even then there's often only limited action that guild leadership may take). The only time the RPC could be brought into it would be if it comes to the point where one of the individuals chooses to seek a new guild, at which point recommendations may be made and the RPC could give the RPer a perspective on the other guilds that are available.

As long as I'm agreeing with everyone else, I may as well agree with Mason as well. If someone is that burdened by a grudge, they shouldn't interact with the target of their enmity. I'm sure there's a couple people that don't like me and that's cool. I've mostly let go my past grudges, but I can understand there might be some very legitimate reasons for animosity between RPers, whether of the same guild or different guilds. It just makes sense to avoid these types of scenes if it's just going to explode into a dramabomb. Mason's final statement put it best - everyone's just trying to have fun.

Re: RPC -- Who are we? - Kylin - 03-17-2010

Just so you guys know, all of this will eventually be made up into an official draft to be voted on and then placed on the main site. Before that though, this discussion will remain active for as long as necessary. Plus, there’s still more to probably hammer out regarding who we are.

To sum up, this seems to be where we are right now on this issue:

Neutrality and Authority

The majority so far seems to favor the RPC remaining a neutral body and staying out of conflicts unless it affects the entire RP community. The question is, how far should we take this neutrality? When -do- we step in? Obviously, any kind of conflict on these particular forums will be dealt with accordingly by myself and/or the moderation team. But what about outside of here? Let’s do a couple examples just to get it out there.

Let’s say there’s a particular individual who’s causing problems for other Rpers. Now if this individual is causing disruptions just for one guild, that’s probably going to be their issue to deal with. But what if this troublemaker is wreaking havoc on more than one guild? They could be sabotaging events in an OOC manner, harassing lots of people, and just outright being a pain in the arse for everyone. Do we just tell everyone to suck it up and /blist the person or does the RPC make a formal complaint to the troublemaker’s guild leaders? And if the guild does nothing to help resolve the issue, does that mean the RPC then reserves the right to “tell” them to boot the troublemaker or be booted from RPC? Depending on the nature of the troublemaker, I suppose several GM calls could simply be made. But what if it’s something a GM can’t do anything about? Such as smear campaigns against various guilds on other sites like Zam, etc? How far do we go with neutrality?

Another example that focuses on a guild rather than an individual member: Let’s go with the example I made earlier about the linkshell who made the comment “Sylph’s last hope for Rping” on a recruitment post on Alla. Let’s assume we all end up voting on our server and end up on the Cid server (no idea how the naming scheme will be so this is just an example). We’re all doing our own thing with our own guilds when suddenly a new one crops up and puts a recruitment post on Alla claming they’re “Cid’s last hope for RP.” Whether they believe that or not is irrelevant. It still remains horrible etiquette and is rather offensive to the rest of us. How far do we take neutrality there?

RPC standards

RPC standards for cross-guild happenings are generally going to be broad and accepted by the general community. For instance, I’m sure we’ll all end up agreeing that someone should mark OOC comments with parenthesis or some other marker when at cross-guild events. But other standards may end up being more controversial. Following my example with the tavern brawl earlier, some people may despise the battle system implemented by the RPC. Do we just tell them to suck it up while at the event? I suppose if they hated a particular standard, they could simply avoid getting into a situation like a cross-guild IC brawl or whatever.

Another question to consider is -when- do the RPC standards kick in? Let’s face it. Some guilds will have better IC and OOC relationships than others. TheShiningKnights guild may actually have a great OOC relationship with the ShaggyThieves and thus end up inviting them to a lot of events. In those situations, I would imagine the guilds simply following the rules of the event organizer instead of the RPC rules. But what about when the events are open to the entire public? Is that when it’s time to defer to RPC standards? It should be mentioned that when public events are posted, the non-RP community (and freelance Rpers) of our server will very likely be invited as well.

Also, if you're remotely curious about the kind of "standards" that we'll end up discussing, take a peak at the "Etiquette" section on the main site. Those are just a few examples of things we may or may not end up discussing.

The public

If anyone has been following some of the updates I posted on other big community sites, you’ll notice that some people have made comments about how closed off FFXI’s RP community seemed. Personally, I think we kind of had to be closed off due to the environment. I assume we all want to be more open and out there this time around. The question is, what would be the RPC’s role in trying to achieve this?

Events

This kind of goes hand-in-hand with the RP standards part. As I see it, there are 3 different types of events the RP community will have. One is a guild event specifically for the guild organizing it. Another is a cross-guild event with maybe 1-2 other guilds invited to the event. The third type is a public event which would generally be open to all guilds, freelance Rpers, and the general public. How is the RPC going to handle each one differently?

Going off on that, what happens when more than one guild crosses paths unintentionally. Using a FFXI example, let’s say TheShiningKnights are doing a promy-mea run. All of a sudden, you find out the FanaticalMercs are doing a promy-mea run too at the same time. Obviously, the guilds have a choice to either go on and climb the tower by themselves or ally up to help each other. If they do decide to ally up, do they defer to RPC standards from that point onward for the remainder of the event? Both groups may have different rules and since both organized the event unintentionally at the same time, there’s no clear organizer to set the rules.

Structure

How should we actually structure ourselves? Do we want each guild to provide 1-2 representatives to keep the RPC updated every so often on the “state of the guild?” And would these reps have any other tasks aside from that?

Castiel all of the problems you mention are only an issue if you have RCP event standards that differ from gathering to gathering and its just too complicated.

On Starsider the events open to everyone were handled exactly the same as the only 2 guild events. The Community was, at all times, expected to follow those guidelines on how to handle harrassment: Calling a GM if needed. At larger events we just had more hosts to handle issues if they came up. That solves it.

To answer your conflict question, again on Starsider, if the event involved conflict the organizer/host made up the battle rules for that event. If you wanted to attend and participate you had to follow the event rules. Everyone knew this and it never was a problem. If a fight broke out at a gathering then the people used the standards they posted and communicated OOC and decided, since the fight involved just their characters and did nothing to the group/gathering as a whole, for themselves how to handle a fight. Also if the event host thought these guys were being distracting they would /tell the guys to go away from the group to handle the fight. Again its trusting people enogh not to try and police every little thing.

Really, IMO, since just having behavior standards in Starsider worked that's all we need to do really. Too many rules and the coalition looks like jerks. I think the following rules would be enough:

1) No griefing or harrassing other guilds or coalition members in the game or on the board. Guilds are expected to deal with members who are habitual harrassers and if they don't the entire guild may be expelled from the RPC.
2) At RPC Sponsered Events:
A) Regardless of personal rules any guild attending is expected to abide by the rules of the hosts and organizers of the event.
B) Hosts are expected to control the behavior of the attenders and if someone refuses to stop inappropriate behavior will report the person to the GMs.

As for "the last hope" that's just silly to take issue with. That's like arguing with me for thinking red is the best color ever. Only direct slander of a guild in the coalition or as a whole might need to be addressed. Since its someone elses board just PM the poster and if they don't retract report them to that board's moderators to deal with.

Re: RPC -- Who are we? - Eva - 03-17-2010

Oh good it's been a droll morning and I was looking for something to help occupy my downtime at work! Wink

First off I think you're putting too much emphasis on the whole "X's last hope for RP" thing. I don't even remember what I had responded (if I even bothered at all - the people involved were really not worth expending the effort on). This sort of negative campaign did a much better job at harming their own image than any of ours. Essentially they shot themselves in the foot, and the fact that their guild fizzled after what, a few weeks or a month, seems to be testament to that. I'm not sure if it was through this or another similar thread that we actually gained a member or two after they realized how foolish these people were. At best I think the RPC can make a post indicating such a thread's existence, thus enabling RPers to post their individual thoughts and opinions on the matter (since it is clearly already not a fact-based, but an opinion-based thread anyway).

As far as conflict, I feel that the RPC should intervene if it becomes apparant that two guilds are in direct OOC conflict with one another. If a member expresses distaste towards a particular guild, that's his/her opinion and entitled. If a leader is swaying a number of members to participate in some sort of smear campaign, then I think it may be appropriate for the RPC to step in and try to resolve the issue.

As far as RPC standards for cross-guild events, here's my thought. Create a 'default' policy for such things as OOC speaking, godmode, emoting, foul language and content rating, and such. By default, that is how OOC events should be conducted. If the organizer of the event so chooses, these can be changed, and such changes can be indicated either at the beginning of the event or via forum post. These defaults may also be subject to change depending on the overall community's feelings about them.

As far as structure goes, I have not formulated an opinion yet. I may carry two or three pearls and be something of an errant RPer, traveling back and forth as my characters whims change. I imagine there will be other people like this, and others who are strictly loyal to one group.

This sort of errant behavior does bring about an interesting point that should probably also be brought up. RP that happens in one linkpearl has happened. That is to say, let's assume PersonA stabbed PersonB while RPing openly on GuildX and PersonC was a witness to the act. If PersonA and PersonC both switch over to GuildZ it should probably be assumed that this deed still took place and PersonA cannot deny that it ever happened just because it was on another guild at the time if PersonC starts making accusations and such. This may be confusing to the people of GuildZ at first until more information is revealed, and could also be frustrating to guild leadership who may have no idea what is happening, but I think it sets a bad precedent for there to be any incongruence between guild communities as far as these things are concerned.

That's my 2 gil for now (assuming we're still using gil in FFXIV). Thanks for helping my day go a bit faster, too. Laugh

My concern with the events is that every group will have different definitions for things. While behavior rules are a definate must, I personally feel that's not enough for this population. GuildA will have a different definition for godmode than GuildB. Trying to figure out which definition of godmode is in effect from event to event is going to quickly drain the fun out of everything. It's too much work for even the hardcore RPers to constantly figure out which godmode definition they have to abide by from event to event. Combat systems is another example. GuildA will handle IC conflicts differently than GuildB. These and so much more make for a lot of preliminary research before each event. That just seems like too much work for people and may only push them away from interacting with other groups entirely.

In regards to the "last hope" issue, that's just one of many examples. I personally was very offended at the phrase when I saw it. And despite the fact that neither myself nor any other member of Legacy posted a response to that drama thread, we still somehow came out looking like the bad guys. I say this because I recall people making comments on there saying "if I were to join a RP guild, I'd definately go with Crystalline or HopesRequiem." Considering the scenario, I was appalled that Legacy somehow became the bad guy and HR became the good guys to the general public. I guess those wounds have yet to heal fully so I'm a bit wary of something like that happening again.

And yes, gil was already confirmed to be the monetary system for FF14 xD

Re: RPC -- Who are we? - River - 03-17-2010

Alright, you've touched on most of the major issues, Castiel, and that said, I'd like to respond to them as far as my guild is concerned. (Not speaking for the players - just the structure of my guild in general.)

Neutrality and Authority

I really, really do not think it should be the RPC's place to intervene within the guilds. For any reason, really. I understand your example about a certain guild touting themselves as the best - and well, that was poor etiquette, but I do not think that such behavior should really result in any authority ousting a role-play guild.

There is no doubt that a group will pop up here and there that will annoy some, or indeed, most of the community, but unless this group was actively trying to hurt or destroy multiple guilds in some manner (which would be a failure, I believe,) I can't think of a situation in which the coalition should be powered in which to step in.

The Public

I think I am going to need some more examples of how The Public feels the RP Community is closed off. I'm not sure I understand.

Events and Certain Standards

Having read through everyone's examples and ideas, I am more comfortable with this. At least to allow for very generalized guidelines in group events.

Structure

The (Lost Boys) - new name to come - are already working on an internal structure that will assign one person as a delegate to other organizations. I believe that having that person also be a delegate to the RPC would be a perfect idea.

Re: RPC -- Who are we? - Smiling River - 03-17-2010

A lot of great questions Castiel. I'll try to give my input on question by question basis.

Quote:But what if this troublemaker is wreaking havoc on more than one guild?
About neutrality... I don't think that we should have any power to ban or block people or guilds. One thing that I'd like the RPC to become is a crossroads for information between guilds. In your example the RPC would notify the individual and the guild they are in as well as every other guild. Let people react accordingly, depending on the circumstances some may never want to RP with the person again and /block them while others may just brush it off and continue to RP with them.

I believe if the person/guild acts... less than graceful, they will notice the repercussions of their actions as people drift away from them, not wanting to RP or get involved. From my experience drama bombs don't just go off once, but multiple times, so I think we'll all know who these people are that keep causing trouble everywhere. I say let everyone react to them as they see fit. After one too many fallouts such individual may not be welcome in any guild at all.

Again from my experience, guilds that have problems with everyone are born from members that have problems in any guild they join. They go off and make their own guild which is full of animosity towards everyone else. The RPC's action towards such guilds should be similar, just let everyone know that said guild said or did something offensive to the whole community and let every other guild decide how to take it. If it's really bad then that fringe guild will likely die out because no one will want anything to do with them. That's an organic way for a griefing person/guild to essentially no longer be part of the RPC.

A Russian proverb comes to mind: "If you spit on the community, the community will cringe, but if the community spits on you, you'll drown."

Quote:Another question to consider is -when- do the RPC standards kick in?
Unless someone creates an event and specifically makes/edits the RPC etiquette, it should be followed anytime members of 2 or more guilds meet. If there is a dispute between people in terms of standards/etiquette, those who did not follow the RPC etiquette should be considered in the wrong by other members.

This also (more or less) takes care of the concerns in the "Events" part. Any events set up with more than one guild in mind should automatically be assumed to follow RPC standards UNLESS it's mentioned that some are omitted or edited. One exception would be if a guild has an event by itself and a member of another guild decides/is allowed to join in, the event will still be held with the main guild's rules/standards.

Structure and Public:
Basically 2 people from each guild should be the maintenance crew AND the PR people for the RPC. Basically their job would be to keep everyone else up to date with what their guild is up to, create server-wide events, take care of the site/forums, and advertise the RPC on public sites.

To be more open the RPC should petition big sites like ZAM and Core to have a roleplaying section. We should encourage people to repost their stories from their main guilds not only here, but in those forums too. We should also try Open RP threads for those that may want to do that. It will benefit the RP community greatly by exposing us to anyone who looks over the forum sections xD Plus it'd be like having a constant ad for the RPC. That's one way to be more open, maybe I'll think of some other things later.

Thanks for reading.

Ok one more psot before I have to run off to work:

Castiel- I understand you were offended but that doesn\'t mean everyone would look that bad. There will always be people who won\'t like certain guilds for stupid reasons and getting more restrictive would only \"prove\" it if the guy says RPC are jerks. As far as public, most general players will hate and think RPers are stupid no matter what, and unless they\'re disruptive or harassing I ignore them. If they don\'t get a rise out of the RPC they will stop eventually.

As for definitions, fine have the RPC in their harrassment post define harassment for the group as a whole, those are the broad things I\'m talking about. We define our behavior policies and in the events the hosts implement it. The hosts determine if the battles are decided via randoms or whatever if its a fight tournament though. You cannot force everyone to use one battle system so its better to avoid it IMO since you would only generate OOC drama. If its left to guilds, indviduals on and encounter and event basis its fine.

If you don\'t believe me that is all Starsider used successfully please examine their forums. PM Tziana or something. Try and learn what they did successfully before deciding to make too many rules.

Kes- The point of having a journal thread is to share all your interactions throughout the community. What you are talking about is only an issue if a community atmosphere isn\'t fostered. On Starsider we all recognized every action with everyone as having happened and it was know throughout the whole community. Again please read the forum there. What made it so fantastic there is it felt like a small real-world community not a collection of unrelated characters.

Re: RPC -- Who are we? - Guest - 03-17-2010

I don't know how valid my opinion is on these matters, but I'd throw my word into the hat.

There shouldn't be types of events. As far as I'm concerned, there's only one time of event, and that's 'everyone who wants to can show up'. Everyone should be allowed to attend an event(assuming it's on their server and whatnot), from other guildys to random passbyers. One could argue that other people really have no reason to participate if the event is following a story-heavy guild plot, but even then, I think it'd be better if other people could show up. If only just to experience roleplay styles of other guilds.

Sure, people could still make private gatherings and whatnot, but as far as guild events go: everyone should be prepared for at least one or two unannounced individuals showing up, and play along. If being more open is a goal of the RP community this time around, changes like this are necessary, IMO. Nothing turns people off RPing more than being shunned from a group when they were only trying to have fun, too.

I don't think these rules and guidelines need to be as complicated as people are making them seem. As long as you aren't a jerk and try your best with roleplaying, everything should be free game after that. If there's a problem, like godmoding or something, then it's best if the people involved are the ones who sort it out.

Which leads into the RPC standards. I believe that these rules and regulations should only be brought upon if a problem actually comes up. Unless they do something crazy, then it should be fine.

Different people roleplay different ways. If someone has an OOC problem with a tavern brawl, well, that's terrible, and they have the choice to either deal with it or leave the event. But what's this talk about battle systems? A little elaboration on that would be nice.

Haha, Sylph's last hope for roleplaying.

Anyway, I pull most of these opinions from my days in WoW-roleplay. The server I'm on is populated with crazy amounts of roleplayers, most of which aren't any in any guild, meandering about and randomly roleplaying with one another. The people who are in guilds never hesitate to roleplay with anyone else, especially in events, and there's always new themed guilds cropping up everyday. Things are uncomplicated, and here's the kicker: it works. There's no rule list, no charter, just a general concept: don't be a jerk in OOC.

I've roleplayed with people with questionable grammar, people who godmoded me, people who were like.. half werewolf vampire unicorn blood elves, and at the end of the day: they were still nice people OOC, and they were genuinely trying IC. That's all I ask, and that's all that should ever be asked of someone. It's this kind of system that I'd like to see for FF, because too many times has this RP community taken itself too seriously.

The whole point of this is to make it easier to find other roleplayers, right? There's no need to over complicate it, then. This is just a meeting stone... and everything after that point is left up to the playerbase.

Tsumi really explains what I'm trying to say here, and does it a lot better than me. Should listen to her.

Sounds like a nice gorup Thay but I was never interested in WOW lol.

I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk but I did want to point this out. The reason why you guys are trying to over-do it is because the FFXI RP community was fragmented and competive. You evidently haven't experienced the type of community you are trying to create so its hard for you to believe that drama won't destroy it unless you resrict people a lot.

Please keep in mind that the examples I'm giving from Starsider are because they are sucessful. They have been around for 5+ years and still are around. They are so famous and respected the devs of SWG select a roleplay senator to communicate feedback from the Roleplayers there. There once were 2 Roleplay servers but when population became an issue what did they do? They petitioned the devs to transfer to Starsider and integrated with their RP Community. They are respected and successfully still so I think it would be wise for this coalition to take a look at what they have done.

How many of you have been in a cross guild community before? Instead of guess at what \"might\" happen find out what actually happens in a large RP Community before making decisons. Talk with the Admins etc. I think thi give the FFXIV RPC a better chance at succeeding.

Since all events won't be exactly the same a boiler plate standard really won't work. Example is what I remember from Starsider one year:

1) New years party whic was basically just show up and chat.

2) Bachleor Auction.

3) Gamblin Casino night with a drawing.

4) Galaxies greatest fighter tornament. Was PVP with and audience.

5) The Plague- A story heavey event where a plague swept through the community. There was a basic arch and then everyone also incorparated it in private RP. A few events happened where whoever wanted to attend attended. It was great fun.

6) Imperial Officer Ball.

7) Gang War between the criminals in the community.

8) Rogue Jedi event where all the lightsiders tried to stop a darksider that went nuts.

There was more but if you see the varying themes you can see how one set of rules couldn't work for every scenario.

Perhaps we shouldn't be using the term "standards" and instead use "etiquette?" I think maybe that's why people are getting the wrong impression of a RP police force. It's not like anyone would get hung out at the gallows if they deviated from the things we set forth.

Quote:A Russian proverb comes to mind: "If you spit on the community, the community will cringe, but if the community spits on you, you'll drown."

I love this quote xD

I think one of the reasons I'm so pushy on this is because of Sylph's history. I've seen several RP groups sharing a server and I've seen how ugly things can get. The Starsider group is successful in part because they have a different mentality than we do. FFXI wasn't very conductive for RP and I somehow have a feeling FF14 could potentially end up similar in those regards. I'm sure we won't have any major trouble in our first 8-12 months. The beginning tends to be the "golden age" for many. But a year down the line, there's no telling whether we shrink or grow in size. And if we shrink, how competitive could things get? I guess I'm just concerned with what happens then and being prepared for when the dust finally settles. Perhaps I'm thinking way too far ahead though.

Re: RPC -- Who are we? - SolanaVernon - 03-17-2010

Castiel Wrote:I think one of the reasons I'm so pushy on this is because of Sylph's history. I've seen several RP groups sharing a server and I've seen how ugly things can get. The Starsider group is successful in part because they have a different mentality than we do. FFXI wasn't very conductive for RP and I somehow have a feeling FF14 could potentially end up similar in those regards.

Here's the thing. Competition was made due to grudges.

Let's all hold hands and sing a song of peace. Take out the people who refused to even talk to one another and then you just have a bunch of people who just wanted to RP.

I like the word etiquette better.

Re: RPC -- Who are we? - Guest - 03-17-2010

As long as everyone relaxes and has fun with it instead of worrying about who's owning what guild where, I don't think competition will even be a problem. We're all here to have fun, and that should always be the bottom line.

If my suggestion to chill and let people do what they want is taken seriously(especially in regards to events), I can see guilds being less of an OOC group with mishmashes of people, to something more suited for IC specialization: a group of people can be in an assassin guild who regularly causes shenanigans for a rival paladin-esque guild.

It's things like that also make me believe that setting up on the same server would be a good idea, as long as everyone stops taking themselves so seriously OOC. There's a lot of squandered potential if everyone's spread too thin.