Hydaelyn Role-Players
RP-Relationship discussion - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP-Relationship discussion (/showthread.php?tid=280)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RP-Relationship discussion - Hiname - 07-22-2010

Averis Wrote:Hmm... maybe we should start another thread on role-play relationships. Could be an interesting topic. Cool

You request, I follow.
So... where did we stopped?

I "tried" to have one during Aion. Somehow, I can't play alone. Without someone to enjoy the game with me, its only half as mch fun. Plus, Im a sucker for romance. *snicker*
Luckily, I have a cuddly friend who will follow right behind with me.

If the relationship is WELL DONE and REALISTIC, it can be a wonderfull thing. Though it requires a great deal of trust to the other person.
And, for me again, there is a very fine line between two things that can make the differance between a Relationship and... "That other side", as there is no really a word for what I have in mind. True, a real relationship cant go well without a certain level of intimacy. Question is, HOW this level is worked with in RP. IF it is played... There are endless ways, between "Okay, our chars go to bed. Have they done anything during the night?" and the real thing.
Now the question... CS or eRP? The line is thin, but it is there. CS (Cybersex) is.. well, disgusting, focused around the one and only thing and dont give a damn about the character, as its centered around the players own likes and desires.
eRP is centered around the character, his/her desires and tastefull writing, as eRP can be a GREAT thing, if done properly. Interesting fact, that it can be fun without even being erotic.

The biggets deal is keeping an RP-Relationship "running"... as the days fly by much faster then RL-Days, a relationship can dull pretty quicly. Both sides should make sure it remains interesting. While it is s"just" RP, one should always ask themselves "What could I do to make him/her happy?" It helps a lot.
Not everyone would like to see their character sad or crying because his/her lover broke up as it became dull and boring.

Phew.. enough wall of text for now.

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - ArmachiA - 07-22-2010

Let's see.... My romance card:

FFXI: Armi was one of those not going to end up in love types then 8 months later (real time, I'm slooowww) she ended up engaged to a dude named Aidyn. Ellion tried to pull her away from him, but no luck there. They split up due to game quittage and she had some flirtiness with Ellion but it never really went anywhere.

WoW: No romances.

Aion: Flirted around and lightly dated Siben, heavily dated Lloire. Lost them both because she was... not normal. Both took months to even consider.

My resume of Romance's always has them where it takes months to build. People get interested in my character often, but they quickly move on because it takes awhile for me to build a romantic storyline and they lose interest. But I like my romance to be realistic ^^;

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Dreamer - 07-22-2010

I'm still wary of RP relationships because, as I stated in the last thread, in my experience people seem to become too emotional involved and put themselves into their character. For whatever reason, they begin viewing themselves as the character and believe that an actual relationship that can carry over into real life has been formed. Again, let me state that I do not necessarily not support relationships being started from internet means, however the fact is that RP is a game just like any other and should not be viewed as something real, and it should not be assumed that feelings or emotions being portrayed by a person's character is how she or he feels in real life. Always check and make sure that the person you plan to have some form of RP relationship with is the kind of person who is balanced enough to separate reality from fiction.

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Monadi - 07-22-2010

The hardest part about RP romances is figuring out when they're a bad idea and not getting involved. Some people just aren't stable or skilled enough OOC to know how to RP a relationship without seriously causing trouble to the other party.

The last RP relationship I tried was the biggest pain in the rear I have ever had.

Both my character and theirs (a guildmate of mine) were deeply flawed, with self-esteem issues to boot, but strangely attracted to one another so it seemed. It was clear that it would never work long term because of their issues, though. OOCly, we discussed this, and we agreed to let it play out anyway for the drama and lulz, since good relationships are boring, and hey, what is RP without a little drama, right?

Unfortunately that was about as far as it ever went where good OOC communication was concerned. Their character devolved into a drama queen, demanding attention and sulking when mine wouldn't pay her enough mind. At first I found it amusing in a failzy anime relationship type of way... But as time went on, the behavior got more and more erratic, as when my character would respond and react to the her IC provocations, she would OOCly get angry and tell me that "there's no way you could tell that she liked him! you're god-modding!" It was like she artificially wanted to extend the does-he-or-doesn't-he aspect into eternity, to the point I was constantly altering my character so as not to cause more trouble with it.

The line got crossed when the IC relationship fail turned into guild-wide RP fail after a specific incident where her character did something that made mine have to choose between trusting her or following his personal code. He chose his code, as was his nature, and the fallout began as her friends started to mock and revile my character to the exclusion of any true plot-advancing methods; the uninvolved other guildmates often spent our RP nights sitting around with their mouths hanging open at the ridiculous turn everything had taken. Even when asked to stop, the offenders didn't - as it turns out, they were way more interested in interpersonal drama than telling a good story.

That was about the point I - and most of the rest of the guild - quit that game. As far as I know my character's former amour is still playing and is rather well-known for her melodrama at this point.

I learned a few things about that whole experience: one, to not let another person's drama ruin my own fun, and two, to stop an IC relationship cold the very minute something seems off to me OOCly. Then again, after all that, I never bothered trying a romantic angle since. I'd had several successful romances before that with just the right amount of drama, passion, and intrigue to make them work, so it's not as if I'm against them, but geez. All it takes is one burn to turn someone off of it for a long time.

It takes so much trust.

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Aveline - 07-22-2010

I've only ever had relationships in FFXI through my character Niami:

Niami & Lurdiel: An innocent shy-glances-across-the-room relationship for a few months until they both expressed their feelings after a harrowing journey to Jeuno (level 20 walk haha). Lurdiel quit a month or so later leaving a note: "Gone to live in a cabin in the Ronfaure! Bye!"

Niami & Glavan: Started fantastically & very naturally. The characters fit together very well and the two of us behind them didn't plan it out or anything, it just happened after a while. Then he quit a few times or would disappear for months at a time. After the first couple of times Niami retaliated by having a steamy affair with a paladin. A year later Glavan finally went MIA for the last time, Niami went a bit crazy not knowing what happened to her husband after he left on that last mission. Cue funky dream sequences.

I've stated that I'm a little leery of having my character get in to a romantic relationship in 14 because I have a RL relationship with someone who will be playing the game right next to me, but I think I'm also hesitant because I really don't want to have to deal with playing the opposite role to someone who's going to leave me hanging mid-plotpoint with no solid reason. >_>

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Dreamer - 07-22-2010

Monadi Wrote:...failzy anime relationship type of way...

...It was like she artificially wanted to extend the does-he-or-doesn't-he aspect into eternity...

This brings up another point I've been thinking about and that's that a lot of people seem to RP a relationship straight out of a B rated manga. Now I'm a fan of some anime and manga, but for the most part I think it's safe to say that most of the writing is complete garbage. No one behaves realistically and the whole "does-he-doesn't-he, will-she-won't-she?" sort of plot carries out way, way too long. I said it jokingly before, but I was actually dead serious and that's I really do blame the manga. If you read it, fine, but don't replace it with actual books. :study:

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Kylin - 07-22-2010

Hoo boy, I have some strong opinions all over the place on this topic xD.

I’ve never actually role-played a meaningful IC romantic relationship with another RPer. Not because I didn’t want to but because it just never fit my characters to do so. I think romantic relationships in the RP world are very important though and create a ton of stories, both adorable and dramatic.

That said, there are a few issues I do have with them. And I know others will disagree with me vehemently on some of this but it is how I personally feel. First, I very strongly believe that real life couples should -not- RP romantic relationships with each other. Why? Even though real life partners may be extremely comfortable Rping with each other on that level, there are drawbacks they never seem to take into consideration.

One such drawback is the IC/OOC barrier. There really isn’t a big one left when a real life couple also has an IC relationship. OOC paranoia is sometimes heightened over IC actions and so on. My character in FFXI was actually quite flirtatious. He flirted with just about any hume/mithra/elvaan female he encountered. That was just who he was and it was 100% IC. There was a point where I was actually OOCly told to stop IC flirting with someone simply because it made her and her boyfriend uncomfortable (or rather paranoid). I found this very insulting personally. I don’t like being told to stop Rping my character a certain way just because someone else can’t keep IC and OOC divided. And I tend to be very good at keeping IC/OOC completely separate, but apparently some people aren’t as able to. Obviously this doesn’t apply to all IC/OOC mixed couples. But the majority seems to fit in this category.

The biggest drawback though is isolation. Basically, real life couples rarely ever have their characters break up unless they break up in real life. Thus, it’s rather pointless to even try throwing an IC wrench into the RP relationship because you already know it won’t do squat. It’s not fun to RP a third wheel in a predetermined relationship that you know you can‘t do anything about. Thus, the couple unknowingly pushes away a lot of potential RP interactions. And since they tend to do everything together, it becomes even more difficult to get involved with any of their RP stories (as well as getting them into other RP stories outside their own). So yeah…they tend to push away a good chunk of other RPers even though they don’t realize it.

As for ERP…I won’t touch too much on this. I do believe it should be kept COMPLETELY off any kind of public chat though (save maybe little things like kissing, holding hands, etc…but I’m not sure any of that falls into ERP). My biggest issue with it is the fact that some people use RP communities specifically for this. It irks me to no end when people use a community as their own personal Playboy mansion. I understand that there are horny people in real life and it’s only natural that there are also going to be horny people in the RP world. But it really annoys me when people join a group specifically to get cyber laid. I can always recognize these types of people because they very seldom interact with people of the same gender on any IC/OOC level >.>.

Monadi Wrote:Long story is long.

This sounds like something simuliar that happened to me, but I was on the other side. The only difference is my character didn't actually have any romantic feelings for hers (Female playing a male) and it didn't matter how many times I told her other wise she was convinced she did.

Armi was supposed to (She didn't really turn out this way, but that's whole nother can of worms) be a social outcast, not known for people wanting to get close to her, and basically causing a lot of trouble. When she got forced into a military unit, she was fully expecting to stay in the background and keep quiet, no one wanting to talk to her. She and one of the members started getting close, by accident really, and they seemed to find some common ground. She didn't want him to find out about her shady past, terrified if he did he would stop talking to her. He was her only friend, she regarded him, I suppose, the same way a girl with a crush would, always nervous around him and unsure of what to say, but that's only because she had never had a friend before. She noticed him starting to be more social with people around him and wondered why, sometimes jealous over the fact he was doing better than she was (They were both supposed to be bad at this after all)

It kind of all went to hell then, the other person got the wrong idea after a post I had made about how nervous she was and afraid of losing him and she was uncomfortable. She never told me about it though, so I had no idea this was even an issue. She mentioned that her character new my character like hers on the forums, and I told her my character did not have feelings for him in that way, she was just terrified of losing him, and he wouldn't know for a fact, he would just be assuming. Later on it turned into guild drama, when I asked the GL if said person was uncomfortable and he reluctantly told me she was. I said I would stop all "romantic" inclination toward her character and it would be done. There wasn't any, but it didn't seem worth it to argue that.

Her character then made a decision that costed a lot for my own, causing people to take sides. Some characters were on Armi's side, some were on hers. Those who were on my side of course treated her character with distaste, but she got mad, thought it was bringing OOC drama IC, when it wasn't. I guess it was because it was "my" group (I had brought 5 people with me to this guild) vs "her" group and I could even see how it would look that way, but one in my group didn't agree with Armi, but that person was never RPed with by the other side, so they couldn't have known. And those on Armi's side were distrustful of the character for how he reacted after the drama was over, not before or during.

The TL;DR is the whole thing was a misunderstanding and I really wish it would have been worked out at one. Both ME and the girl did things we probably shouldn't have, or didn't even realize we were doing.

But that's always a risk one has to take in ANY RP situation, not just Romance RP.

Always make sure those lines of communication are open

Funnily enough ,as mentioned in my previous post, she did end up romantically involved with two men, both of whom it did not last very long. That girl was not meant for romance XD

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Goliam - 07-22-2010

Just read this thread. I am now officially terrified of even considering Romance RP.

It sounds like kicking a frigging hive of hornets. That are also covered in bees. That are on fire.

^ all RP is. In Fact, all human interaction is that which you just described

I've had RP sessions break out into screaming matches between players over way less than Romance. I was the GM, but hell if they listened to me when I said shut up XD. Seriously, one guy decided to grab a sword during his turn and the other guy immediately started bitching at him about wanting that sword and he was a douche and HUGE FIGHT. I swear they were going to start punching... over a fake sword... in a table top game...

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Goliam - 07-22-2010

...You lot have terrible luck, then.

Ive tabletop gamed, all that business. NEVER had anything near that. Most likely because that a table-top group is in range of getting smacked.

While I really havent romantically RPd Ive done a pretty good share, never really got into any high level weirdness like this...

must not fear fear is the mind killer

must not fear fear is the mind killer

[size=xx-smal]must not fear fear is the mind killer[/size]

Hahaha just remember that most, if not all, RP Drama comes from lack of communication. In Romance RP it's VERY important, the most important thing. Stay in constant communication over what you want and what you feel comfortable with and you will be just fine.

Be wary of those who want to romance RP but not talk about it OOC or ever talk to YOU OOC, those are the ones you should run from

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Tyriont - 07-22-2010

I prefer to let things unfold naturally so if this happens, so be it...but I have absolutely no intention of seeking out any form of romance RP with Ty this time around. I got lucky in FFXI in that Ty's two most significant relationships worked out very well - with Endinka who made a wonderful foil as the devoted knight to Ty's roguish pirate and the two were often rather unsure around one another. It ended up creating some awesome scenes when those two lives contradicted one another and I recall one written scene which was particularly powerful at the time - everything had basically fallen down around Endi and she'd been illegally imprisoned. Ty's crew rescued her and she was faced with the decision of sticking with him or trying to return to her old life. The crew being camped out, it seemed at first that Endi had left only to find her watching the ocean having decided to stick with Ty. That action had a huge impact on Ty's characterization and affected everything he did from then on.

The last relationship was with Raenef, another knight (Ty seemed to love the complicated ones) who was intrigued by Ty and kicked him in the head a lot, but moonlighted as a corsair. Ty was intrigued by her and determined to get into her head. Things developed and the two wound up together which lead to some of the most fun I've ever had RPing. They were still together when we both stopped roleplaying and I like to think the two of them are still off adventuring and beating up poor Aries (Rae's brother).

I've never met Endi out of game, Rae and I were together for quite a while, but both ones played out well because of OOC communication. But Ty, you dashingly handsome rogue - I hear you ask - if it worked out so well, why are you determined not to do it this time around?

Well, for all the reasons others have given above. Through no fault of her own, Endi often had to leave the game for a while unsure of whether she would return which left Ty kinda hanging - they eventually had a mutual breakup for that reason. It -can- work out really well but it takes a lot of effort...and this time around, I'm not planning on spending anywhere near as much time in-game since I'm way more involved in RL stuff than I used to be. I therefore think it would be unfair to a partner if I wound up absent from the game for a while and left them stranded. Similarly, I've seen far too many issues come up in RL relationships because of IC stuff...I'd rather not a) be the cause of someone else's issues or b) have them come up in my own (when I, y'know, find one again). I've been in both of those examples and I don't care to repeat them.

Bottom line: While they can work with excellent OOC communication...frankly, I don't feel like it would be worth the effort at this point in time.

I think a good rule of thumb is to not go into RP looking for Romance, then if it finds you great, and if it doesn't, that's great too.

I never go into RP sessions wanting to come out with a husband, Armi has never been rolled with a good personality for romance, but sometimes it just happens and sometimes it never does (Like WoW)

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Renaise - 07-22-2010

Relationships in RP huh?

Oh boy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjK9GJMBpt0

Lets see,

Sometimes they work out well, a lot of the time they don't, and when they don't they often go out with heavy drama with people taking sides, or a whimper which is kind of depressing. They require good communication between both parties involved. You need to be mindful of boundaries, and be certain not to isolate yourself from the outside world and your other friends...

Now am I talking about real life relationships or RP ones? Tongue

General rule of thumb on this in my opinion, just try and know what exactly you are letting yourself in for before getting involved.