Hydaelyn Role-Players
RP-Relationship discussion - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP-Relationship discussion (/showthread.php?tid=280)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Seraphine Felstar - 07-26-2010

I've been wanting to post in this thread all week but I've been busy with friends/family/FFXI every single day O.o

Nearly four years ago my current boyfriend and I met in FFXI. For the first week or so after we met IC we never said a word to each other OOC. We even RP'ed for 48 hours straight without sleeping, just going around RP-ing with our friends and helping them out with quests. Eventually things did wear on us because our characters were so close and we had so many different things going on in our real lives. I actually got upset with Zane over how much influence we had over each other in game and we broke it off IC for about six months. Oddly enough it turned out things were harder for us to be together IC and not OOC. Go figure.

Obviously things worked out because we live together and have a cute little girl who I have to show off because she's perfect:
[Image: loaseraphinehalloween.jpg]

However, I think when we decided to get together IC and OOC we ended up hurting a lot of people. I really wish I could go back and fix some of the mistakes I made back then. I guess people really don't get second chances though ^^;;

I do agree with Castiel that there are a lot of pitfalls to playing with your real life partner. For example, I'm a pretty moderate RP'er while Zane is a very heavy end gamer. Today I really wanted to RP with TALE members, but I had to go do Abyssea with him and my linkshell. Yes, I had a lot of fun... but I am slightly disappointed I didn't get to do what I wanted to do. There are lots of drawbacks, but on the other hand, Zane is also my best friend in the entire world. Creating stories, RP'ing with each other, and playing together is one of the most awesome things in our relationship.

After all my experiences with RP relationships I think the most important things are knowing what you want out of the relationship, knowing what your partner expects, and being respectful of each other.

/rantmode "Off"

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Xaefan - 07-26-2010

I hope my baby girl is half as cute as your's, Crystal.

Though, I must slay you now, as I can't open this thread anymore while it's on this page, otherwise my fiance will start crying 'cause she can't make little fairy wings for her to wear for infant pictures.

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Axl - 07-26-2010

Xaefan, I thought I was the only one who could be up this late?! THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE MY TIME AS THE ONLY MAN ON EARTH!

That baby is adorable, I hope someday when I have kids of my own they will look like that.

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - DAISHI - 07-26-2010

I love to ERP with my linkshell friends.

I have eRP'd a couple times, and it was either a product of a long RP relationship, or it was just something caused by steamy tension between my character, and another RP'er's character during an RP.

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Renaise - 07-26-2010

DAISHI Wrote:I love to ERP with my linkshell friends.

I love to ERP with random strangers... NPCs... chocobos... lamp posts... fruit...

Mmmm Sweet sweet Rolanberry... so juicy... so... purple. How I love thee... *strokes the Rolanberry and gazes at it longingly*

Do you mind? I'm having a private moment here!

* Axl is observing so closely that his chin is on Renaise's shoulder and his eyes have extended 6 inches from his head.

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Midaja - 07-26-2010

Renaise Wrote:I love to ERP with random strangers... NPCs... chocobos... lamp posts... fruit...

Mmmm Sweet sweet Rolanberry... so juicy... so... purple. How I love thee... *strokes the Rolanberry and gazes at it longingly*

:o Aaaaaah my eyes!

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Zyanya - 07-26-2010

Heart Heart Heart

I've been married for 7 years (my husband and I met playing online.. unsurprisingly). I've RPed some rather long term romantic relationships with several people, but I've had the good fortune of having very meaningful, enriching experiences. Looking back I belive it had to do with setting clear boundaries as to what I was/was not comfortable with. I think it sends a clear message straight away and avoids any possible drama that might arise when under pressure. I don't go looking for romantic relationships and I never play overly flirtatious characters (I would be pants at it anyway), so if an opportunity for a relationship IC starts to blossom, I tend to be very cautious (or oblivious, depending on how you look at it). It will almost always be a very long journey.

My OH has no issue with me RPing relationships... I once played out a rather violent shouting scene with a good friend whose character was deluded into thinking my character was strongly attracted to him. Nothing physically/mentally abusive happened because we set down boundaries early on. Perhaps this directly influenced the outcome but in my opinion no one should feel they have to act out something they are uncomfortable with for the sake of staying IC. I believe it is most important for the person mentally and physically behind the toon to stay safe in all respects.

I've seen too many friends hurt by bad, abusive, or blatantly manipulative relationships IC and OOC and I would shudder to see it happen again.

Not to go all depressive mode... IC romance is great when all goes well. Heart Nothing wrong with a good old snogging sesh! I just like to play the (pretend) voice of Reason sometimes.

^good story right there.

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Monadi - 07-26-2010

Crystal Wrote:cute baby pic

CUTE

/offtopic

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Tyriont - 07-26-2010

Renaise Wrote:
DAISHI Wrote:I love to ERP with my linkshell friends.

I love to ERP with random strangers... NPCs... chocobos... lamp posts... fruit...

*Stares at book in shock*

*turns book sideways, eyes getting bigger*

With a MELON?!

Don't assume Ren is joking, by the way. That poor lamp post is still in extensive therapy. Don't even ask about the pamama incident...

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Tadir - 07-26-2010

I guess I'll throw in my two cents, (by the way, would that be gil? people say that a lot, but I always equated a gil with a dollar.)

I've never been one to get into ingame romantic relationships. Something might develop over time, but I also straight up refuse to get into eRP. Just not my cup of tea.

It can be really fun, as long as its diverse, if the character's are completely the same, it gets boring.

Re: RP-Relationship discussion - Faust - 07-26-2010

kimiji Wrote:I guess I'll throw in my two cents, (by the way, would that be gil? people say that a lot, but I always equated a gil with a dollar.)

Should be more like cents. The Japanese use Yen, which is similar to cents. You'll see something in the grocery store for 1000 Yen, which only sounds like a lot if you don't realize that it's about ten dollars. Personally I find our whole decimal system with currency quite bothersome (especially pennies-- pennies should be done away with altogether). But I'd sooner see us switch to metric.