Hydaelyn Role-Players
So I've been thinking - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: So I've been thinking (/showthread.php?tid=2853)

So I've been thinking - Nox - 07-16-2013

I've been debating giving X'sato a more "normal" surname. His family isn't tribal by any stretch of the imagination, but they kept tribal names as a sign of heritage. With that in mind, I originally just went with "Tia" as his surname because... well... He's a Miqo'te. Then I got to thinking about it and it wouldn't make much sense for his family to keep the "Tia/Nunh" relation because they aren't part of a tribe. I figured I'd throw it up here to see what people here thought. Maybe make it a poll or something. Now I have no idea what his "normal" surname would be, but I can come up with that rather easily. It'd probably be a Hyur surname (or like one) because of where he grew up (Ishgard).

RE: So I've been thinking - C'io Behkt - 07-16-2013

Do it, Smile. The Seeker first name is what is more interesting anyway! I absolutely love the animal tribe prefixes and am very happy SE let us put apostrophes in our names for it. Also, your rationale behind having a different surname is solid. Maybe you can have a surname related to profession (Tanner, Smith, Miller... that style) because it made it easier for the primary earner to be recognized for her craft.

RE: So I've been thinking - Naunet - 07-16-2013

If his family isn't following the traditional clan rules of breeding/non-breeding males, then I see no reason why he should have to have to follow the designated Tia/Nunh surname scheme.

RE: So I've been thinking - Nox - 07-16-2013

(07-16-2013, 05:22 PM)C Wrote: Do it, Smile. The Seeker first name is what is more interesting anyway! I absolutely love the animal tribe prefixes and am very happy SE let us put apostrophes in our names for it. Also, your rationale behind having a different surname is solid. Maybe you can have a surname related to profession (Tanner, Smith, Miller... that style) because it made it easier for the primary earner to be recognized for her craft.

I was thinking of basing it on his family profession (merchant), but I'm not quite sure what that'd be. As I read from the Hyur Midlander naming conventions, their surnames were generally either their family trade, where they lived, or a feature of that person. They used the example of brown hair leading to the surname 'Browne'. Lots to think about.

RE: So I've been thinking - Caysen - 07-16-2013

If you're looking for an occupational last name for a merchant, I'd suggest Chapman. It's an Old English surname meaning someone who buys and sells. Wiki page.

Or you get creative with it. My character's family uses the last name Meridian (and has in his past several iterations in games), which I took from a geography term, because they have a history of being travelers. I'm not sure exactly what gil is made up (does the lore ever say?), but you could use a precious metal name like Silver or Sterling. Or if they work in a certain type of goods you could take something from that.

... last names are an interest of mine. Weird, I know. Cactuar

(07-16-2013, 05:49 PM)Caysen Wrote: If you're looking for an occupational last name for a merchant, I'd suggest Chapman. It's an Old English surname meaning someone who buys and sells. Wiki page.

Or you get creative with it. My character's family uses the last name Meridian (and has in his past several iterations in games), which I took from a geography term, because they have a history of being travelers. I'm not sure exactly what gil is made up (does the lore ever say?), but you could use a precious metal name like Silver or Sterling. Or if they work in a certain type of goods you could take something from that.

... last names are an interest of mine. Weird, I know. Cactuar

Hm... I like the idea of using something related to gil or merchandise, but I don't know how the surname would sound, seeing as his father is a Chocobo merchant. I suppose I could have the surname be "Feather" or something of that nature.

(07-16-2013, 06:17 PM)Nox Wrote: Hm... I like the idea of using something related to gil or merchandise, but I don't know how the surname would sound, seeing as his father is a Chocobo merchant. I suppose I could have the surname be "Feather" or something of that nature.

X'sato Gesahl
X'sato Green

Because Chocobo = Gesahl Greens Wink

(07-16-2013, 06:25 PM)C Wrote: X'sato Gesahl
X'sato Green

Because Chocobo = Gesahl Greens Wink

Gesahl... That's brilliant. Thank you so much. Strange name for a dragoon, but it fits his backstory.

Edit: Also just remembered it's "Gysahl"

(07-16-2013, 06:29 PM)Nox Wrote: Gesahl... That's brilliant. Thank you so much. Strange name for a dragoon, but it fits his backstory.

Doesn't hurt that Gesahl sounds really cool too, hehe! Team effort!