Hydaelyn Role-Players
Current Year Discrepancy - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Current Year Discrepancy (/showthread.php?tid=2936)

Pages: 1 2

Current Year Discrepancy - Mtoto Wamoto - 07-19-2013

1.0 took place in 1572 of the 6th Astral Era.

The fall of Dalamud and the release of Bahamut ushered in the 7th Umbral Era. 

5 years have passed since then.

Technically, this makes the current year the 5th year of the 7th Umbral Era and not 1577 as many have voiced. I'd wager to say that year 1572 of the 6th AE is equal to year 1 of the 7th UE.

Every time we enter a new era (be it astral or umbral), the sequential numbering of the years returns back to 1. If this wasn't the case, the current year would be something way over 5000 at the very least. 

Just wanted to bring this to light since I've seen a lot of dates in people's wikis and even the player written timeline reflect the year in ARR as 1577.

Quote:Does time reset for each Era, ie when Umbral Eras happen, does it become Year 0?

Yes. Timers for each era (both Astral and Umbral) reset (but at year 1, not 0 [Image: wink.png]).

Confirmation Source: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/57049-CG-Midlander?p=936498#post936498

-----
Edit: That was weird...can a mod delete the double post? Thanks >.>

RE: Current Year Discrepancy - Uther - 07-19-2013

Well, shit.

RE: Current Year Discrepancy - Mycroft - 07-19-2013

As I recall though, the 7th Umbral era is now over, being a very brief event since Bahamut was spirited away to unknown shores. Thus ARR actually takes place during the 7th Astral Era.

I've had a little trouble in digging up the article in which I read this, so don't take it too close to heart yet.

RE: Current Year Discrepancy - FreelanceWizard - 07-19-2013

That's interesting, since the main ARR web site says the Eorzea is "poised to enter another age of decline, a period known as the Seventh Umbral Era".

Either way, though, that's a great lore catch, Mtoto Wamoto. (Maybe we should get a thread together that links to these posts and briefly summarizes them?)

RE: Current Year Discrepancy - Mtoto Wamoto - 07-19-2013

I speculated this as well a bit ago with Gospel, tho the only reason I didn't make mention of it here was because I can't confirm the validity of it. I skipped through most the text in Beta so I may have missed the in-game text in its entirety, but I do recall an NPC making mention of the current era at some point. I suppose I'll just have to wait until Phase 4 or see if someone managed to grab a screen cap or something in the meantime.

I'm digging through the dev. team posts to see if I can find anything about it.

RE: Current Year Discrepancy - Naunet - 07-19-2013

(07-19-2013, 08:45 AM)Mycroft Wrote: As I recall though, the 7th Umbral era is now over, being a very brief event since Bahamut was spirited away to unknown shores. Thus ARR actually takes place during the 7th Astral Era.
The heck is the difference? @.@

RE: Current Year Discrepancy - Eva - 07-19-2013

My understanding is that the Umbral eras are a time of great upheaval and usually much shorter-lived than the Astral eras.

I also think it's feasible that some characters - particularly those that are confused and coming out of the time rift - might not be aware or fully regard the shift of era right away.  I think a character mistakingly regarding it as 1577 may still be all right for RP.  But I would assume at some point the newspapers and such might reflect the new dating system.  A lot of this is based on speculation.  I'm not sure what qualifier there is to discern exactly when an umbral era is over, either.

RE: Current Year Discrepancy - Mycroft - 07-19-2013

(07-19-2013, 01:35 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(07-19-2013, 08:45 AM)Mycroft Wrote: As I recall though, the 7th Umbral era is now over, being a very brief event since Bahamut was spirited away to unknown shores. Thus ARR actually takes place during the 7th Astral Era.
The heck is the difference? @.@

Apart from one being represented by the element of darkness, and the other, the element of light.. Then Eva pretty much described the difference.

RE: Current Year Discrepancy - Naunet - 07-19-2013

So are we in an Umbral era or an Astral era? Is it year 5? Of something? Did I remember to put my pants on when I woke up? Did someone leave the toilet seat up?!

RE: Current Year Discrepancy - Ildur - 07-19-2013

It would interesting to make this confusion an in-character deal, with historians unable to decide if the Calamity was a big deal but not enough to warrant a change of eras (since Bahamut didn't last very long), or if it really was big enough that it is now the Seventh Umbral Era, or even if it's the Seventh Astral because 'obviously' the Umbral one only lasted as long as Bahamut.

Even more fun can be had with different organizations using their own dating. A shipping record from the Limsan docks might read as if it's the Seventh Astral Era, while records in Ul'dah detailing the same shipments date them as if it was still the Sixth. Lots of confused fun can be had! At least until Word of God says what the denizens of Eorzea are using at large.

RE: Current Year Discrepancy - Gideon Aryeh - 07-19-2013

I'm just going to make sure I spend a lot of time paying attention to the stories and lore during open beta and early access so I can get some solid answers. SE has always been good at having good explanations so until there are some solid ones I'll leave certain things up in the air for now cause I can see how this is going to get confusing.

RE: Current Year Discrepancy - Aysun - 07-19-2013

This has come up on the Crystalline forums before. The only reason I was still calling it 1577 is because I thought that the devs themselves had, but today I could not find the post that I thought I had seen it in! Instead, I found this after some searching from Fernehawles (trimmed the post down for relevance): 

Quote:Okay, let me do a quick pass over your questions while I take a breather from all this Beta madness...

Are Umbrals Eras short? Or does it depend on the destruction?

It depends on the destruction. The Umbral Eras are the periods of chaos and regrouping that follow the cataclysms that end each Astral Era. The regrouping can take several years, to several decades. More on this, and what happened during the 7th Umbral Era, will be laid out in detail in the 2.0 storyline.

Does time reset for each Era, ie when Umbral Eras happen, does it become Year 0?

Yes. Timers for each era (both Astral and Umbral) reset (but at year 1, not 0 [Image: wink.png]).

So all this implies that the 7th Umbral Era is indeed over and we're in year 1 of the 7th Astral Era.

Edit: And derped because that's the quote that Mtoto used up yonder. Oh well. xD Must.. read.. entire post.. before running off to search.. xD

RE: Current Year Discrepancy - K'tahrl - 07-19-2013

Are we in Year 1, or Year 5 then? Since this is 5 years after the calamity would it not make sense that it would be the 5th year of the 7th Astral Era?

RE: Current Year Discrepancy - Aysun - 07-19-2013

(07-19-2013, 07:01 PM)K Wrote: Are we in Year 1, or Year 5 then? Since this is 5 years after the calamity would it not make sense that it would be the 5th year of the 7th Astral Era?

If I'm understanding the post that Ferne made, the 7th Umbral Era was only 5 years long and we are now in the 7th Astral Era. It would be year 1 of the 7th Astral Era.

RE: Current Year Discrepancy - K'tahrl - 07-19-2013

Ah alright that would make more sense then, the 5 years between Bahamut and ARR would make sense then being Umbral, and the return of the Warriors of Light would usher in the Astral Era.