Hydaelyn Role-Players
A Duskwight Discussion - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A Duskwight Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=2947)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Kyatai - 10-21-2013

I'm typically on from around 7p CST til... erm... yeah now. *coughs* Basically all night long when I'm off work.

Am off work tonight.
Will be on.
Send me a /tell if you need an invite. Smile

Chiane N'ardente

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - ansemaru - 11-25-2013

I'm performing thread necromancy to inquire after opinions on an element of my character's backstory.

In my initial concept, I'd wanted to play a character who was a sheltered child of nobility. Not a literal prince/princess, but someone of that type- wealthy and influential parents, hasn't traveled much beyond his home due to strict/overprotective upbringing. But I ultimately went with making a Duskwight over making a Wildwood, which sort of threw a wrench in Aumeric being actually nobility.

There's a little loophole in the line in the lore about "nobility endorsed by the Wildwoods" implying that there are those who are not endorsed, but I didn't leap on that. In my case, I ended up operating on the assumption that the wealthy, powerful family he was born to wasn't nobility at all, but rather a crime family. Mafia, yakuza, you get the idea. They put on the affectations of a Wildwood noble family, present themselves as such, but make their fortune off the misfortunes of others, and live a bit more out of the way.

I imagine they've got fairly extensive holdings in the Black Shroud, it being unlikely that Gridania proper would smile upon the presence of a moneyed, dangerous, and possibly politically influential Duskwight family of organized criminals. It's also worth observing that Aumeric doesn't particularly look like the common perception of a duskwight- he's got silver hair (and is obviously not elderly), but his skin color is one that can be just as easily found in the Wildwood population. More likely than not that he and his family were at least partially able to operate more openly in society due to the fact that they can "pass" as Wildwoods- at least to those Eorzeans who aren't Elezen, and who therefore aren't likely to pay attention to the appearance of them beyond "are they grey/blue?" Like a lot of Wildwood/Duskwight societal stuff, it's pretty messed up, and having the privilege of appearing Wildwood in a society that values them over Duskwights hasn't really endeared Aumeric's family to their kin. Nor has their collective decision to scorn their kind's cultural disdain for cities and "civilized" living- they're seen as aspirants to Wildwood culture, and even likely as traitorous.

So they're criminal, and not popular among other Elezen. But thanks to the whole caves thing, they had a major advantage in terms of surviving the Calamity. While some Duskwights found their homes collapsing, and while surface-dwellers had to fend off the impending chaos of the aftermath of that disaster, his family (which, I suppose it's worth saying, aren't actually the Chassebels- I don't want to step on the toes of anybody else who's picked that surname by deciding their family for them, and I've ruled that in Aumeric's case it's an assumed false name. The "Dagger" to his Garnet, if you will) was sitting pretty thanks to their stable and subterranean dwellings. A lot of their competition died or were ruined by the fall of Dalamud.

So I guess what I'm asking is "Does this make sense with established Duskwight lore?" I've tried to tailor Aumeric's family background to reflect the position his kind holds in Eorzean society while holding onto his core concept of a sheltered, naive heir, and I hope it all holds together...

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Eva - 11-25-2013

It seems all right by me, though I am but one RPer. There is some precedent already in place as the lady of Haukke Manor is clearly a wealthy duskwight woman. I have used that to defend the fact that Eva's father was a wealthy (though not in the traditional flaunty manner) duskwight that lived in the Twelveswood/Gridania. So I don't think what you are suggesting is without merit and it seems like you've already put considerable thought into it.

In short, I don't see why not. Thumbsup

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Yloise - 11-25-2013

I too have altered my thoughts about family and the world at large being a Duskwight, after experiencing the Haukke Manor story-line. Yloise is not from a rich or extensive family, but will pretend to act like one. She is a merchant born family, but they use so much time and gil to appear as affluent, they are continuously broke.

Since her family is relatively small, just herself, her parents and perhaps a single uncle are the only surviving relatives, she has no support structure besides herself, while going against her family wishes in the past, she is disowned, but no one knows of that yet.

I have yet to come across another roleplayer who is distrustful of Duskwights, or at least show it ICly.

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - C'kayah Polaali - 11-25-2013

You'll have to come RP with C'kayah sometime, then. He's pretty biased against Elezen in general...

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - DimmerMeerkat - 11-26-2013

I'm glad this thread was necrobumped when it was. I have a low level alt that is a Duskwight, and I've been more or less going by what little information I was able to dig up on my own through various Wikis across the net.

My Duskwight is pretty unabashedly a copy of the main character I played in Aion, but better appropriated for Eorzea and all of XIV's lore, with a similar backstory. In fact, my other two alts are also copies of former characters, appropriated. I think the only things I've done "wrong" in regard to this character's backstory is that I tossed him out in to a cave beyond Sagolii desert, rather than the shroud or anywhere remotely foresty, and his name doesn't quite follow the naming convention. To justify the name, I imagine it's an intentional misspelling of his actual name.

After my Aion main, I named him Isceroth Atrios. I imagine his real name is spelled and pronounced a bit differently: Iscereaut, or Iscerriot, or some such thing. (Actually that's also kind of congruent with the Aion counterpart, because Isceroth's actual name was spelled with ancient letters and was pronounced Ee-seh-roh't instead of his adapted Ih-suh-raw'th.) Never took a lick of French in my life and I only have the barest hint of understanding when it comes to pronunciation because of people's last names, and the names of various cities in my area. Completely open to suggestions for the spelling of his real name from anyone more knowledgable on the subject.

Anyway, his story is that he's the sole survivor of the family he used to share his cave with. After the deaths of his loved ones, he turned dangerously hostile toward other people, regardless of their race. He had plenty of visitors too, since his cave is a prime mine for precious crystals and stones. Living on such value, the cave is pretty nicely furnished, and although he loathes the cities for more than one reason, he does have stores of common currency.

His land is surrounded by posted warnings not to trespass. If people brave it anyway, they're either thieves or beggars, and it is not beyond Isceroth to kill them if he sees fit. He normally spares beggars more than thieves, and has a small reputation outside of his hermitage as a loan shark. It takes some convincing for him to disburse funds to a stranger (which is literally everyone), but it can be done. The interest is high, the repayment windows are relatively short, and the consequences for missed or late payments can be deadly.

He's prominent in this short story.

So, if this character sounds interesting to you, and your character ICly needs money, hit me up for RP. I'm normally on my main, Rakka'sae Kuhn, and perpetually on Skype at DimmerMeerkat. Additionally, if those of you who have way more knowledge and experience with playing/creating Duskwight characters have some constructive criticism or helpful direction, I'm open to it.

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Ildur - 11-26-2013

It wouldn't be hard to imagine some Duskwights left the Shroud to live somewhere else. Factors like the Woodwrath (the Elementals hating you and setting the whole forest against you) or Gridania's rampant xenophobia are good reasons to leave that cursed wood and go live somewhere else. Adopting an irregular naming convention can also be justified as a form to differentiate themselves from those elezen who come that place or Ishgard.

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Feared Legion - 12-09-2014

I'm new to this website, and RP in general.  I do play a duskwight and love it.  Would this be the appropriate place to post my little story of him? or is there a different Bio forum I should do that on?

Feared Legion
-The Lone RPer in Excalibur-

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - DreamedReality - 12-09-2014

Many others have posted their concepts for their DW character's here for consideration so post away. Smile

And since we've necroed: I do have a link to a tumblr post that might be of interest to fellow DW rpers. And even fellow WW rpers. Where a fan pinned Fernehawles down and asked a few questions about the DW/WW split, gelmorra, and and such.

http://gelmorra.tumblr.com/post/100948251705/lore-bomb

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Feared Legion - 12-11-2014

Dunno if this is where I post this kind of stuff, since i'm new to all this but here I go Smile

Well this is the beginning of my characters childhood.  It leads into his actual Bio.  Since I just started a Arthurioux last night on Balumg ( have my main on Excalibur might be transferring soon)  So I guess this is my Pre-Bio hope it's not too long.  Thoughts, Questions, Comments welcome thanks.

Two totally different sides to the same coin, would totallyexplain the personality or the twins Arthurioux and Phrostbyte.  They were opposites but inseparable. Theyloved to play as younglings do, inside and just outside the entrances to their home.  The day their relationship changedwas a normal day, filled with laughing and playing outside under the thick tree covered forest of the Black Shroud.
“Watch this Art! I bet you can’t catch me”
Phrost took out two tiny daggers from his tiny boots and leapedonto a giant moss covered tree.  Usingthe tiny knives to climb swiftly to the high limps of the monstrous tree.  
“Phrost get down from there! What if you are seen by one ofTHEM?! Get down!” Art yelled, looking up from forest animals he had circled around him.  As he did often, he alwaysloved the company of tiny companions. 
Creatures of any kind always fascinated Arthuriox, especially the storiesof the PRIMALS.
“Fine, Fine! One second, let me leave my mark” Phrost said,with his classic cocky wink.
Phrost turns towards the tree, balancing like a gymnast onone of its large branches.  Before heputs his dagger in the trees flesh to carve his symbol he made up in lessons the day before.  Telling his brother,everyone will know me some day , and my mark, he stops
“You hear something Art?”
“No…..What…..”
Just as Phrost turns back an arrow whizzed by this face andburies itself deep in the giant tree. The quite of the forest was shattered by a loud thunderous noise.  The goundstarted to shake and tremble, it seemed like an earthquake to the two young duskwrights.  The Tree that young Phrostwas on was not a normal tree but a monstrous Trent slumbering.  It awoke angry, with a barrage of arrows no buriedalong its side.  The scared Phrost wasbeing flung around like a doll, doing all he could to stay on the tree!  Clinching his home made daggers for dearlife, while they hold him to the large branch he was standing on moment ago.
“Prost! Prost! I’m coming” Art scared runs to the base ofthe tree, dodging limbs and leaves. 
“Please, Please, stop, let my brother go!!” Art screamed tothe giant tree
Not knowing what to do, his young mind raced and looked foranything and everything, for help, for a way to help his brother and who was firing arrows, nothing was shown to him.
“Jump! I’ll catch you” he said finally
Not knowing what else to do his older twin let go of hisdaggers and feel right onto his younger brother.
“I’m okay I’m okay, let’s get out of here “Art yelled.
Phrost helped his brother up and took off towards theentrance of the cave.  He was at the entrancebefore he ever looked back.  To hissurprise his brother was not next to him. 
He turned back and could barely recognize his twin hopping towards him inthe distance, from the leaves and branches flying about and the look on his face, a mix between fear, panic and incredible pain.  He scanned the area and noticed a largebranch or arrow. In the leg of his brother.
“Run!!! It’s Coming!” 

Arthurioux turned his head an saw the eyes of the treant baringdown on him as he raised his colossal branch like hand.  He drove into the cave just as his giantspalm came crashing down on the entrance of the cave.  Once the dust cleared, Phrost looked down andsaw his brother, his twin looking up at him.
“Please don’t limb any more trees” Arthuriox said in a lowvoice with a smile
“Promise!.. You ok?”
“I think so, my leg, it’s killing me, but I think I’ll live”
They both looked down at Arthurioux leg, or what was left ofit.  His left leg looked to be broken, ina dozen places and covered in blood, rocks and dirt.
From then on their relationship was never the same.  They still loved each other, but seldom didanything together.  Arthurioux seldom didanything with anyone. In his families’ eyes, he was no good to them, but they never said it.  Arthurioux drew intohimself and his forest and cavern companion. 
While his brother Phrost became one of the youngest and dangerousDuskwrights the clan had ever seen.  Hequickly gained the reputation for pillaging anything, on wheels!  Every time he was look the caves to do whathe does, he would always bring back his twin, sticks and lumber for his brothers latest cane.  Arthurioux while, survivingthat run in with the treant, it left his leg permanently scared, while he could walk unassisted for a short time, he always had a cane or add with him.

Now that his brother was the leading thief of theirduskwright clan and he was now looked at, as the handicapped brother of a great pillager and could not take a button mushroom from a baby Roegadyn.

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Nimie - 01-13-2015

Um, wow, this is such a cool thread.  Um, I don't want to foul anything up, but I decided that Nimie would be a bit divorced from Duskwight culture, as she left of her own accord to explore and learn the magicks and histories of the overworld.  She promised, however, that she'd return once her curiosity was sated.  She was always a bit of an odd one - always with her head in the metaphorical clouds.

Then Dalamud fell, and the cave that housed Clan Valeroyant was crushed - their fate, unknown.  Nimie was, to put it lightly, devastated.  She just sort of, aimlessly wandered from place to place after that calamity, not really having a purpose in mind.

Then she eventually drifted into the port of Limsa Lominsa, and, well.  A town of pirates, thieves, and other outcasts?  A rather nice place for a Duskwight wanderer.  And, in learning the art of arcanima, her curiosity for the world was rekindled, and so she found herself once again.

I'm sorry that this isn't as fleshed out as most of yours, I haven't actually started RPing with her yet, though I certainly intend to, once I either remake her or transfer her over to Balmung.

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Kyatai - 01-17-2015

Great to see all the new Dusky faces Smile

If you all ever want to 'get together', we have a Linkshell of just Duskwights that has been woefully underused...
We could toss around RP ideas and plottings of trouble we could cause... and support for eachother if we get into trouble....

Things like that.

If you'd like to join us on Balmung, hit up Kari Illderthane, Eva Zelorius, Yssen Van or myself!

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Dasair - 01-17-2015

(01-17-2015, 08:40 AM)Kyatai Wrote: Great to see all the new Dusky faces Smile

If you all ever want to 'get together', we have a Linkshell of just Duskwights that has been woefully underused...
We could toss around RP ideas and plottings of trouble we could cause... and support for eachother if we get into trouble....

Things like that.

If you'd like to join us on Balmung, hit up Kari Illderthane or myself!

I've been curious about something like this, and while I messaged someone a while back about a Duskwight LS, I heard that it was mostly an IC thing. Might this one be an OOC thing, or might there be an OOC LS out there to help Duskwight players talk or potentially get together somewhere? Does anyone know?

RE: A Duskwight Discussion - Kyatai - 01-17-2015

well I think the Sanctuary was meant to be IC, but since it hasn't gotten much use, save intermittent /tells, I don't see why we couldn't use it for both.

But have to ask Kari to be certain.