Hydaelyn Role-Players
Taking screenshots in Char Creation Benchmark - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Taking screenshots in Char Creation Benchmark (/showthread.php?tid=3319)

Pages: 1 2

Taking screenshots in Char Creation Benchmark - Fates Skein - 08-05-2013

I've seen several people posting their screenies of their characters from the benchmark, however when I try to take a screenshot using the 'Print Screen' key and pasting it into Photoshop or Paint, all I am getting is a black image.  Is there a special trick/keybinding?

RE: Taking screenshots in Char Creation Benchmark - Freyar - 08-05-2013

(08-05-2013, 11:02 PM)Fates_Skein Wrote: I've seen several people posting their screenies of their characters from the benchmark, however when I try to take a screenshot using the 'Print Screen' key and pasting it into Photoshop or Paint, all I am getting is a black image.  Is there a special trick/keybinding?

I've been using either FRAPS, or (with the full client) Steam.

RE: Taking screenshots in Char Creation Benchmark - Teardrop - 08-05-2013

(08-05-2013, 11:02 PM)Fates_Skein Wrote: I've seen several people posting their screenies of their characters from the benchmark, however when I try to take a screenshot using the 'Print Screen' key and pasting it into Photoshop or Paint, all I am getting is a black image.  Is there a special trick/keybinding?

I've been using a free program called Greenshot, and I had the exact issues to begin with. When I went into the benchmark and changed from "Fullscreen" to "Borderless Windowed" in the Display Options, then I was able to get screenshots correctly.

Hope that is your case as well, and this fixes your issue Thumbsup

RE: Taking screenshots in Char Creation Benchmark - Selsix - 08-05-2013

OH! OH! ME ME! I KNOW THIS!

I had this problem is well, it's because you're playing on Fullscreen, switch to border-less windowed mode and pasting into paint will work once more. (it's also much easier on most computers and looks identical to fullscreen)

RE: Taking screenshots in Char Creation Benchmark - Annaveil - 08-05-2013

(08-05-2013, 11:33 PM)Teardrop Wrote: I've been using a free program called Greenshot,

Holy crap, thanks for this tip!

RE: Taking screenshots in Char Creation Benchmark - Alothia - 08-06-2013

If you run it through Steam, it's really easy to take screens. That's what I've started doing. It makes my life ten times easier, now that I don't have to go and copy/paste each picture.

RE: Taking screenshots in Char Creation Benchmark - Martiallais - 08-06-2013

FRAPS also works, s'what I've been using for mine.

RE: Taking screenshots in Char Creation Benchmark - Fates Skein - 08-06-2013

YAY!  Thank you guys!  I'll get to post my character now and have an avatar and everything.

RE: Taking screenshots in Char Creation Benchmark - Niteshade_Rune - 08-11-2013

Was curious about this as well, yay search feature. I wanted to grab a few shots instead of using my phone to snap a pic of my monitor screen lol.

On a random note i did notice higher bench scores when i shifted from borderless windowed mode to fullscreen.

RE: Taking screenshots in Char Creation Benchmark - CassandraJean - 08-11-2013

You're on a PC? the easiest way to do it is to press the Windows key and the Print Screen key at the same time. And bingo! Screenshot. It will be saved to your "My Pictures" folder.

RE: Taking screenshots in Char Creation Benchmark - Fiona Swift - 08-11-2013

I just use the free version of FRAPS ... or Steam.

niteshadeo: that should happen (better performance), since you are no longer running explorer.exe Basically windows gets to take a break from your desktop and can unload it (or at least put it aside) so you get just a bit more ram and processing power.

Borderless Windowed vs Fullscreen for me is literally a 200pt difference in score (fullscreen scores better). On older systems with less processing power (or video card ram / or system memory) you will find Fullscreen works better. If your PC rig is top of the line with like 16GB of ram, a crazy insane CPU and like a $500 video card then borderless windowed will run almost identical to fullscreen since you have so much processing power to spare

RE: Taking screenshots in Char Creation Benchmark - Domri Blackblade - 08-11-2013

I use Dxtory! It's like fraps but doesn't cause performance drop and has a few better options. I find Fraps has trouble on my higher end machine (weird DSmile when I'm trying to video capture at full resolution and max settings. The drop isn't significant, but it's there.

RE: Taking screenshots in Char Creation Benchmark - Apoc1216 - 08-11-2013

(08-11-2013, 11:20 AM)CassandraJean Wrote: You're on a PC? the easiest way to do it is to press the Windows key and the Print Screen key at the same time. And bingo! Screenshot. It will be saved to your "My Pictures" folder.
I use Alt and it works too, I did not know Windows key works either! I have learned something new today Thumbsup

RE: Taking screenshots in Char Creation Benchmark - Fiona Swift - 08-11-2013

(08-11-2013, 01:29 PM)Meia Wrote: I use Dxtory! It's like fraps but doesn't cause performance drop and has a few better options. I find Fraps has trouble on my higher end machine (weird DSmile when I'm trying to video capture at full resolution and max settings. The drop isn't significant, but it's there.

do you have the video capture set to 30 FPS? the free version of fraps caps your FPS to 30 when doing video capture (record a movie)

If you have the paid version you can select 60 FPS or 50FPS ; it could just be "capping" your FPS when recording so your 100+ FPS drops to 30FPS which makes it look like you are lagging. I know when I had a full version of Fraps many years ago it had no problems with 50 or 60 FPS recording.

I will say some people have complained that despite being set to 60 FPS the recording can make it seem like your system is lagging, but I think that might be related to Vsync issues (like when LoTRO for me is put on Vsync it used to stutter until Turbine finally patched that bug out)

RE: Taking screenshots in Char Creation Benchmark - Taeh Niumoenwyn - 08-11-2013

I run the game in a Window and use the built-in 'Snipping Tool' under Accessories.