Hydaelyn Role-Players
Have: Roleplayers - Want: A Home - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Have: Roleplayers - Want: A Home (/showthread.php?tid=3335)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Have: Roleplayers - Want: A Home - Aysun - 08-06-2013

Just imagine the pretty blonde White Mage in her avatar reading the post to you and you'll realize she's not capable of hostile. xDD

RE: Have: Roleplayers - Want: A Home - Reppu - 08-06-2013

(08-06-2013, 05:28 PM)Aysun Wrote: Just imagine the pretty blonde White Mage in her avatar reading the post to you and you'll realize she's not capable of hostile. xDD

I've seen way too many images of white mages bathed in blood while wielding great axes! But, fair enough! It came off as extremely passionate.

That said, it would be unfortunate to not have roleplayers want to roleplay because of perceptions, which is why I am here now; clearing up misconceptions.

RE: Have: Roleplayers - Want: A Home - Felix Sideris - 08-06-2013

(08-06-2013, 05:09 PM)Aysun Wrote: Cheers for your post. It was very neutral, no sides taken, and has managed not to upset me as most of these topics do. xDD So kudos and thank you for being tactful!

I think that the environment we've created is welcoming and open to new RPers because we WANT new RPers. More people, more connections, more potentially awesome RP. If we wanted to RP with the same old people (the same "cliques") all the time, we could go hide in our established LS's and close recruitment off. But we don't. We want this new blood, we want to RP with them, and if they desire it, we are glad to help them with their characters and the lore, to help them level, to progress WITH them through the content, as the legacy characters still have to re-do all the content in ARR.. hell, many of us are even starting our characters over ourselves. Plus, many of the posters you see with join dates in 2010 left the game shortly after release, or played on and off during the time when 1.0 was up, so this is as new to them as any of the new members. 
I never played 1.0.. But this pretty much took the words from my mouth. I remember always wanting more RP. New RP. New Stories. New connections. That is why I am going to Balmung, because I crave the biggest RP community possible so the stories will never grow stale and boring. 

It might sound selfish or ignorant, but smaller RP communities just don't float my boat. So for me, and for my friend, we are going to Balmung.

Besides, there is a certain level of satisfaction and exhilaration that comes from carving your way into a community and leaving your footprint. It's fun to see how you, and your character, influence the community. 

It has been a very long time since I've had some good role play, and I have high hopes and high expectations for Balmung and this RP community as a whole. 

I love you guys, the community has been very welcoming and a great support to the many newly arriving players. I am greatly looking forward to meeting a lot of people and enjoying a lot of good role play.

I guess, coming back from my ranting, to answer your question.. I personally suggest going to Balmung, as that is where the larger community will be. Also, considering you do not want to be pushed into a leadership role again(correct me if I am wrong), it might profit you more to be around a more established community. Another nice thing is, as Aysun explained so well, even the 1.0 players are "starting over" in one way or another, whether it be leveling a different class, re-making their Role Play, or starting from scratch all-together. 

In the end this is just my opinion, but for me, Balmung is already my home and I don't even have a character made on it. Bringing 10 more players(i think thats what you said?) to Balmung looking for role play, raiding and just generally a place to call home would certainly fit right in, or at least be able to merge or start a new place. If you want to establish a power-house of a LS/FC and build from the ground-up that would likely be easier on Gig., but I don't think it is impossible on Balmung either. Also, you must weight it. Do you value establishing a LS/FC and raiding more, or do you value established role play and far more role play opportunity more? If you don't want to be the one(s) starting role play events and bringing together the community or trying to build a LS/FC up, then Balmung might be the place for you.

Sorry, I'm not that good at articulating myself. Let me know if you need clarifications. >.<

RE: Have: Roleplayers - Want: A Home - Eva - 08-06-2013

I've grown to hate chiming in on these threads, but one thing I've noticed that I felt compelled to point out is that most of the 'cons' expressed regarding Balmung are things that seem temporary and will gradually fade with the passage of time whereas those 'cons' relating to Gilgamesh seem a bit more permanent.

Another point that seems to get glossed over a lot - I think because it is often perceived by Gilgamesh folk as an attack - is in relation to the size of each group (not just in relation to the server population either).  While I'm sure there are some RPers that choose not to be affiliated with the RPC, from all that I've seen it seems like there's going to be significantly more RPers playing on Balmung than there are on Gilgamesh.  I know there was an unofficial poll conducted some time ago and it was a pretty significant schism in favor of RPing on Balmung to RPing on Gilgamesh.  This isn't to say that the popular choice is always the correct one, and I can understand and appreciate where some folks might prefer a smaller community overall.  A larger pool of RPers will mean a greater variety of companies, events, and individual character types.  It will also mean there may be more RPers around during offpeak times.  These are also things to consider.

I think coming to either server with a core group of 10 or so RPers will give you a pretty solid foothold as a LS/company in either community, and you might also want to consider what other LS's are involved with each server, and how your group might interact with them.  I like that you're not looking to dominate the server and that you're also not looking to be 'lost in the crowd'.  I think from what I've seen of things that you'll find a good niche on either server, regardless of your choice.  And in either case, I wish you well with it.

RE: Have: Roleplayers - Want: A Home - FreelanceWizard - 08-06-2013

I think most of the arguments both ways have been summed up.

Let me toss in my logic as a non-legacy player for choosing Balmung. (Yes, yes, I realize my registration date is from 2010, but I only played XIV for like a week post-beta.) Because of the misconceptions surrounding Legacy servers and the existence of a small, but dedicated extant RP community, for some, there's an inherent barrier to entry to joining Balmung. Since the "server first" endgame on Balmung is guaranteed to be locked in from day 1 by the existing progression crowd on the server (all of whom will be starting in on the raid content pretty much immediately), the only reason why a person would choose Balmung is for RP.

As a result, I expect to see (and the flawed, though interesting, server choice survey shows this) a higher population of RPers per capita on Balmung than on any other server. Since my primary objective is RP, that makes my choice easy.

While I'm sure your crew can have a great time on whichever server you choose, I personally want to be on the server with the highest probability of any person I run into being an RPer or, at least, RP friendly. It seems to me that Balmung is that server.

(08-06-2013, 05:16 PM)Shuck Wrote: Snip

This was a lot to comb through, and I am thankful for the clarifications based on your opinions as well! In the end, all we can offer is opinions, neither of us is 'flawed' because neither of us can see the future. This is all I want to stress.

Well, I can see the future! It involves an amazing game.

That said, thank you for the things to consider, but let's keep in mind your last statement, and remember that roleplayers are not immune to it, either.

(08-06-2013, 05:39 PM)Eva Wrote: I've grown to hate chiming in on these threads, but one thing I've noticed that I felt compelled to point out is that most of the 'cons' expressed regarding Balmung are things that seem temporary and will gradually fade with the passage of time whereas those 'cons' relating to Gilgamesh seem a bit more permanent.

Another point that seems to get glossed over a lot - I think because it is often perceived by Gilgamesh folk as an attack - is in relation to the size of each group (not just in relation to the server population either).  While I'm sure there are some RPers that choose not to be affiliated with the RPC, from all that I've seen it seems like there's going to be significantly more RPers playing on Balmung than there are on Gilgamesh.  I know there was an unofficial poll conducted some time ago and it was a pretty significant schism in favor of RPing on Balmung to RPing on Gilgamesh.  This isn't to say that the popular choice is always the correct one, and I can understand and appreciate where some folks might prefer a smaller community overall.  A larger pool of RPers will mean a greater variety of companies, events, and individual character types.  It will also mean there may be more RPers around during offpeak times.  These are also things to consider.

I think coming to either server with a core group of 10 or so RPers will give you a pretty solid foothold as a LS/company in either community, and you might also want to consider what other LS's are involved with each server, and how your group might interact with them.  I like that you're not looking to dominate the server and that you're also not looking to be 'lost in the crowd'.  I think from what I've seen of things that you'll find a good niche on either server, regardless of your choice.  And in either case, I wish you well with it.

I'd stress to remind you I even noted that each flaw for Balmung, as applicable to being based on a very short time period, was noted as such.

As such, you pointed something out that I already had!

RE: Have: Roleplayers - Want: A Home - Myxie Tryxle - 08-06-2013

I'll explain a few of the reasons I chose Balmung. While I respect the optimism and ambition a lot of the Gilgamesh players are showing, I don't share it. I do, however, wish them the best of luck, as I consider it a tragedy when any RP community suffers hardship. We're all part of the same greater roleplaying community.

I'm a returning player from 1.0, but I only played it for about two months. In two weekends on the beta, I managed to surpass my original character in every class that was available, and that's before I learned about the NPCs who would auto-level you to 15. Leveling in this game will be substantially easier than it was in the original, assuming the curve wasn't accelerated in the beta. Within a month, you're going to see plenty of level 50s on Gilgamesh. If what you're really looking for is the best possible roleplaying opportunities, level should be inconsequential. In my mind, it's all about the community, and different players will have different needs or desires in that regard.

Personally, I'm resurrecting my character on Balmung, and that's always been my plan. I don't know or remember anyone from three years ago, but I've had ample opportunities to meet people. I have yet to find anyone from the Balmung community that fits this fearful notion of the spiteful Legacy player lording themselves over new-comers. Based on the behavior I've seen from the Legacy players I've met, if such a person did appear, they'd be fervently and immediately rebuffed by most of the other Legacy players. Even when there was a call from some of the non-Legacy players for a split, they accommodated it in an effort to foster a greater roleplaying community for all players. They truly wish to be inclusive for all roleplayers, even those they won't be playing with on other servers (all servers, including Gilgamesh, Behemoth, Leviathon, etc.).

As for the trolling and the griefers, I'll relate my experience of it on the beta on Gilgamesh. I found a couple people I had roleplayed an event with the previous night being griefed by a couple of guys from one of the "official" Reddit groups <No Touching>. I decided to join the RP and see what happened. Over the course of the next hour, six to eight members of <NoT> appeared to join in the griefing. They did emote spam, AoE spell spam, danced on the table where we were sitting, sat or positioned on top of our characters so we couldn't easily target one another, and mocked everything we said. Different <NoT> members rotated in and out, but by the time I left over an hour later, they were still griefing. As far as I can tell, not a single one of the roleplayers did anything to even acknowledge they existed.

I can't say how this will play out when the game goes live. Maybe the trolls will get tired, but only if absolutely no one feeds them, which is unlikely once Gilgamesh becomes an open community rather than a beta. Some people just can't resist the bait. There's lots of optimism floating around that it won't be an issue or that they'll even be able to reform the griefers and bring them into the fold. I even saw someone say they'll produce a hybrid RP, calling it "RP for bros." Personally, I think that sounds terrible, as I'm not going to compromise my RP to accommodate someone who actively despises my hobby.

Whichever server you choose, I wish you the best of luck. I fully expect that after the hurdles of the first 2-3 months, the difference between the two servers in terms of RP will be barely noticeable.

RE: Have: Roleplayers - Want: A Home - Ashren Dotharl - 08-06-2013

I think there is a major misconception that players who are from 1.0 have level 50 characters, when the truth is that most had only one or two classes at 50, and many more still had none. I'm a returning 1.0 player, but I say that lightly because my highest level character was a level 10 Thaumaturge. The beta forums have mainly  perpetrated the fear and loathing of 1.0 players, and while there are a lot of antagonistic legacy players on the beta forums they are mostly on servers like Hyperion and Excalibur.

Despite Balmung being the 1.0 RP server, it's in no way dominated by 1.0 players. Before Gilgamesh was a thing, Balmung was still the server of choice so many new players jumped on that band wagon and didn't change their mind when options became available, and even after there are still a lot of people who are joining Balmung so the 1.0 players are quickly becoming the minority. As far as RP population goes between the two servers, I can't say for certain but if the number of LS/FC that are on Balmung compared to Gilgamesh is any sign then Balmung has a much larger and diverse population to begin with.

I don't know how bad Gilgamesh will be regarding the different communities joining it, but if it's as bad as people seem to fear I honestly expect we'll see people moving to another server, any of the others available not just Balmung, or we'll see server transfers as soon as they become available post launch. I'm not saying everyone will leave, just that if the trolls and such as as bad as people say they will be, retention rates may be another flaw to consider for Gilgamesh.

RE: Have: Roleplayers - Want: A Home - Vlll - 08-06-2013

I'm actually joining Balmung because some friends have 1.0 chars and are moving them there. I didn't get to play 1.0 and I'm starting from scratch, but finding groups doesn't seem like an issue since the Duty Finder and Level Sync will probably solve most of those problems. Getting into the market will probably be hard, but sooner or later I'll get into it.

Recently I have become interested in RP, so I guess I was fortunate my friends are moving to Balmung. In the end, servers will be more or less the same after some time.

RE: Have: Roleplayers - Want: A Home - LandStander - 08-06-2013

You seem to have it figured out for the most part but there is some common misconceptions you have about the Balmung server.

Everyone there will not be a bunch of level 50's roaming around. You would be surprised at how many people never achieved 1 level 50 job or only have 1 or 2 level 50 jobs. I personally played for about a year in 1.0 and only got to level 40ish, but I am scrapping that character and starting a brand new one. I was also on the Masamune server and didn't RP so I am one of the many who will still be very new to the RP community there. 

Also the Heroes of Light thing you posted about is kind of a non-existent problem as the lore indicates that no one really knows what happened that night and the Heroes of Light do not know that they are the Heroes of Light as their have fuzzy memory syndrome. So you don't have to worry about anyone hoarding a title over your head like that. 

Now Gilgamesh was not too bad from what I saw during beta as the community there seemed to be pretty decent, but then again I didn't really see any RP going on as it was beta. Though I do remember seeing Dogberry running around with a group in Thanalan and RPing and I just stalked them for like 45mins :3. I am sure they saw me as its hard to be a Roegadyn hiding in the bushes Tongue

(08-06-2013, 06:22 PM)Callipygian Wrote: Snip.

Concerning, if only because as you've mentioned, that has the potential to only get worse. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

As I mentioned in the initial post, hiding behind closed doors for RPing is a bad habit that needs to be eliminated. I would hate for public, world-based RP to be dead before it even had a chance to breathe.

RE: Have: Roleplayers - Want: A Home - Averis - 08-06-2013

Add me to the list of "legacy" players that didn't get far. I only got one job to level 20. The game wasn't doing so good in 1.0, hence the reboot, so many people didn't actually play that long. Add to this that I'm planning to start over with a new character. So I might be technically legacy, but I'm going to be rubbing elbow with the rest of the new players.

(08-06-2013, 07:07 PM)LandStander Wrote: You seem to have it figured out for the most part but there is some common misconceptions you have about the Balmung server.

Everyone there will not be a bunch of level 50's roaming around. You would be surprised at how many people never achieved 1 level 50 job or only have 1 or 2 level 50 jobs. I personally played for about a year in 1.0 and only got to level 40ish, but I am scrapping that character and starting a brand new one. I was also on the Masamune server and didn't RP so I am one of the many who will still be very new to the RP community there. 

Also the Heroes of Light then you posted about is kind of a non-existent problem as the lore indicates that no one really knows what happened that night and the Heroes of Light do not know that they are the Heroes of Light as their have fuzzy memory syndrome. So you don't have to worry about anyone hoarding a title over your head like that. 

Now Gilgamesh was not too bad from what I saw during beta as the community there seemed to be pretty decent, but then again I didn't really see any RP going on as it was beta. Though I do remember seeing Dogberry running around with a group in Thanalan and RPing and I just stalked them for like 45mins :3. I am sure they saw me as its hard to be a Roegadyn hiding in the bushes Tongue

Yes, yes. I'm aware that not everyone, if most people, have 50's maxed in all categories. They -do- exist as a minority, and I said it wasn't really a 'flaw' so much as something to take note of.

In truth, Legacy status isn't much of a flaw. But it can be a little off-putting if only because it'd be a little harder to get something going, if you can't find something you're interested in. Balmung -will- have a smaller population, I think?

(08-06-2013, 07:11 PM)Averis Wrote: Add me to the list of "legacy" players that didn't get far. I only got one job to level 20. The game wasn't doing so good in 1.0, hence the reboot, so many people didn't actually play that long. Add to this that I'm planning to start over with a new character. So I might be technically legacy, but I'm going to be rubbing elbow with the rest of the new players.

Hopefully you can find a home! If nothing else, if Balmung ends up being our destination, perhaps we can find one together! Or make one!

Still, for now, I remain in the neutral position. But all of this information is helping, and thanks to all so far!

RE: Have: Roleplayers - Want: A Home - ArmachiA - 08-06-2013

I'm new, don't let my join date fool you. I quit FFXIV shortly after it's release and vowed never to touch it again. But here I am.

My old 1.0 characters are very low level.. the highest is 17, so ditching them wasn't even going to be an issue for me. The reason my guild decided to go back to Balmung was this:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/35736-Balmung-thank-you

http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/6360-Balmung-Where-You-At

and then stuff like this confirmed it

http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/78074-Balmung-Welcomes-You%21-New-and-returning-players.

These are on the Beta forums and they are EXTREMELY welcoming and positive and the last one even list RPers as a good thing to have on the server.

Let's take a look at Gilgamesh's thread shall we?

http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/94373-Experience-the-Epic-of-Gilgamesh-the-fresh-perky-new-RP-server.

It's a lot more negative.

THat's it. It just seems like Balmung want us there and Gilgamesh does not. I had chosen Balmung as our go to server long before Gilgamesh was an issue, but Gilgamesh's growing pains make me cringe internally. Especially with how crowded it's going to be (NEOgaf, GameFAQs, and Blue Gartr are all apparently rolling there as well.

Oh, and we're a guild who does endgame and RPs, just to clear up that misconception. We were once top 20 in WoW on our server. We love endgame, endgame is fun.

~~~~

But just to stake something that should probably be obvious:

Thats why I, ME, not you, chose Balmung and I do not expect anyone else to follow my lead (Unless they are my guild, muhaha).

I have been on the Gilgamesh-ers side this whole time, even when I bring up concerns I'm still on their side. They may see it as an attack, but at the end of the day I just want them to succeed. Does it suck that they want to go off to another server? Yes. But it happens. On TOR, the RPers were split and ended up going to Lord Addraas and Ebon Hawke (Eventually they merged) and at the end of the day, it didn't matter. We all played in our own little corner and it was fine (The big difference being, of course, that both of those are designated rp servers so both their populations were bigger, but that's neither here nor there). It will be fine here as well.

The only thing that bugs me is the animosity that has happened. But that is another discussion

RE: Have: Roleplayers - Want: A Home - Rue - 08-06-2013

Just my two cents when I tested both areas just to see in the beta which might not be all that great but I felt more at home as a rper on Balmung. I was reading up on jobs when someone actually walked up to me and started rping right on the spot. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. 

But on Gilgamesh I sat in the same place for bout 30 mins and didn't really see much rp, after inviting a friend to come rp with me a little, we kinda got a little back lash from a few people saying how we were lonely geeks that needed to get a life. Even though I was disappointed by the fact I really want to give Gilgamesh another try to see, but so far I'm preferring the larger rp community on Balmung, the level difference don't really bother me to much even, I know I will catch up to them eventually.