Hydaelyn Role-Players
Server guidance for those new to the community - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Server guidance for those new to the community (/showthread.php?tid=3373)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Server guidance for those new to the community - Yini Kihn - 08-07-2013

I'm rather new here—although I've been lurking for quite awhile—so I feel a bit awkward posting this. Hopefully no one will bite my head off for it!

I simply want to offer a suggestion. Currently, we have text atop the website that says the following:

Quote:Game launch on August 27th! RPC's server choices: Balmung and Gilgamesh. We encourage you to do your own research and choose the server best for you (or both!). Please post server inquiries within existing threads rather than new ones. Thanks and happy adventures!

While I understand the desire to maintain a neutral point of view, I think this notice says so little as to be almost useless. It doesn't state which server is for legacy players, it doesn't identify which server is the primary server, it doesn't point people at an existing thread where they can read the information for themselves, and it doesn't offer an appropriate thread for asking questions—if one even exists.

I agree that people should make the decision for themselves and should not be pushed in one way or another by an official notice. However, that doesn't mean the notice must be uninformative and actively encourage people to trudge through the chaotic mess that is all of the previous discussions on this topic. In fact, that's the last thing I'd want new people to have as their introduction to this community!

As such, I suggest changing the message to something like the following:

Quote:A Realm Reborn launches August 27th! Balmung is the primary RP server for both new and legacy characters. Gilgamesh is the secondary server for new characters exclusively. Please post any server-related questions in our thread dedicated to the topic. Thanks, and happy adventures!

This statement is neutral, casts Gilgamesh in a positive light (as it's "exclusive", after all), makes it clear which server is the primary server, makes it clear that new characters can be created on Balmung (which many seem to think is impossible), and gives people a place to ask questions without having to find some existing, half-related thread to tack them onto. I think it's a clear improvement over the notice that's currently present in every way.

I know Balmung versus Gilgamesh topics have been done to death and it is not my intention in the slightest to bring up the debate again. I simply think that directing new people into a series of ugly arguments over servers so they can "do [their] own research" is a terrible thing to do to new members of the community.

That's everything! Again, please don't hurt me too badly for this! I'm sticking my neck out because I think it's important, not because I wish to cause trouble.

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - doctorgalactic - 08-07-2013

You have great intentions here, and I commend you for that, but tread lightly.  This is a bit of a toxic topic at the moment.

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - Yini Kihn - 08-07-2013

(08-07-2013, 10:57 PM)doctorgalactic Wrote: You have great intentions here, and I commend you for that, but tread lightly.  This is a bit of a toxic topic at the moment.

I'm aware, yes. That's the reason I posted this though: Asking new members to dive head-first into old discussions on a toxic topic seems very questionable to me. A short, descriptive notice and a single thread dedicated to new member questions seems like the best way to insulate them from the ugliness.

Perhaps all that ugliness was necessary, but it's hopefully over now. There's no reason we can't summarize the current state of things for new members and prevent them from having to wade through the muck.

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - Gerik - 08-07-2013

(08-07-2013, 10:54 PM)Yini Kihn Wrote: A Realm Reborn launches August 27th! Balmung is the primary RP server for both new and legacy characters. Gilgamesh is the secondary server for new characters exclusively. Please post any server-related questions in our thread dedicated to the topic. Thanks, and happy adventures!

I'd agree with this.  We did vote on the secondary RP server, so it would only be truthful. In addition, it also makes it very clear.

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - AkhutaiAngura - 08-07-2013

OP, something you might look at doing, would be a little bit better of a layout for the thread to answer questions and such.

For example.. Keep the title what you have, or make something similar, or whatever. But then have your first post detail all the ins and outs of Gilgamesh, as Aysun did for Balmung. She went through and detailed, very accurately and neutrally, the ins and outs of Balmung. Now, I don't know what could be said about Gil to equate to a post of that style, but.. Still. It's an idea. Then, once you get your first post made - Offer a link to Aysun's thread. Say, if you have a question about Gilgamesh, ask it in your thread. If it's about Balmung, ask it in Aysun's thread. That way, it keeps the Gilgamesh and Balmung folks seperate, and there's less chance of server-wars breaking out in the thread.

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - Aysun - 08-07-2013

Kudos. I agree with this. I have talked about the lack of clarity in the server choices and how it's negatively affecting our new RPers thus far at great lengths and haven't gotten much headway. I hope that someone other than me bringing it up will help. Smile

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - ArmachiA - 08-07-2013

I stand behind this *nod*

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - Annaveil - 08-07-2013

Thumbsup

I like this.

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - Folken - 08-07-2013

I'm also verbally standing behind this.

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - Ashren Dotharl - 08-07-2013

(08-07-2013, 10:54 PM)Yini Kihn Wrote:
Quote:A Realm Reborn launches August 27th! Balmung is the primary RP server for both new and legacy characters. Gilgamesh is the secondary server for new characters exclusively. Please post any server-related questions in our thread dedicated to the topic. Thanks, and happy adventures!
Very well worded, I support this completely.

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - Kellen whitewolf - 08-07-2013

i agree to it makes more sense

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - Sireano - 08-07-2013

(08-07-2013, 10:54 PM)Yini Kihn Wrote:

me gusta mucho esto, asi

Why'd this get moved to Off Topic?

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - Kylin - 08-07-2013

(08-07-2013, 11:49 PM)Aysun Wrote: Why'd this get moved to Off Topic?

Because the topic of discussion is directly related to the site layout itself (the message at the top of the site) and not the game.

(08-07-2013, 11:53 PM)Kylin Wrote:
(08-07-2013, 11:49 PM)Aysun Wrote: Why'd this get moved to Off Topic?

Because the topic of discussion is directly related to the site layout itself (the message at the top of the site) and not the game.
'Kay.