Hydaelyn Role-Players
Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Gilgamesh versus Balmung (/showthread.php?tid=3433)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Gilgamesh versus Balmung - CrimsonMars - 08-09-2013

Judging by looking at the amount of threads in each dictionary, it seems as though more people are going to the Balmung servers than the Gilgamesh. As a new player in general, I wonder if it's more beneficial to start out on either server since I'm a non-legacy player as well. I kind of preferred to be in more populated communities.

They will implement a server transfer system, right?

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Eve Malusion - 08-09-2013

They said world transfer would be available around 3 weeks after launch. However they didn't go into specifics about restrictions between going legacy -> new or vice versa, and will be giving out more information closer to it being available.

So yeah, it will exist fairly early, but if they're sticking to what they said earlier on there will probably be restrictions on going between legacy and new servers at the start.

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Mtoto Wamoto - 08-09-2013

A server transfer system will be available to us three to four weeks after launch.

It isn't said, but transfer between Legacy and Non-Legacy will likely be possible, since one of the biggest reasons for the split is to allow the new servers to establish their own economies and such.

As far as Balmung and Gilgamesh go - Until server transfers are available, Balmung is going to be the most populated server, but Gligamesh will have many new players - thus more people to do low level content with. 

Hope that helped! Smile

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Aysun - 08-09-2013

Here are a couple of threads on the subject:

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=3335 Server Decisions.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=3355 Legacy vs. non-Legacy and what it means.

Good luck with your choice!

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Rinh Hallani - 08-09-2013

I'm a new player and going to Balmung. /shrug

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Ildur - 08-09-2013

There are some threads out there that try to cover what the 'pros & cons' are for each server. But it basically boils down to a mechanical difference in player preference: Balmung will have a fair number of already stablished players at high levels while Gilgamesh will have everyone starting from level 1.

In my opinion it's just a useless division of the RP community. That difference will dissapear after a few months, once Gilgamesh playerbase reaches and stablishes its endgame. But there are plenty of people out there with reasons to select Gilgamesh over Balmung that do not boil down to the 'headstart' legacy players will have.

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - allgivenover - 08-09-2013

New player going to Balmung here too, you certainly won't be alone.

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Ashren Dotharl - 08-09-2013

If playing with veteran characters is not a concern of yours I would suggest Balmung. While Gilgamesh has a strong and growing community, Balmung has been established as the RP server for far longer and because of that it is more likely to have a larger community both at launch and after.

If you are concerned about playing with characters who have been around for 1 or 2 years then I'd suggest you try out Gilgamesh and see if it fits. There are a few other servers as well that will not be as populated as these but will still have RP on them, I think they were Behemoth and Leviathan. Ultimately I suggest you figure out what your priorities are when you get in game and base your decision on that.

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - CrimsonMars - 08-09-2013

Thanks, guys. The information will be certainly useful in making my decision. Thumbsup

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Magellan - 08-09-2013

Many people are also doing both servers. Especially initially, as they try to make their decision. Picking out an LS/FC early can help too, as it may sway your vote, depending on which server they are on.

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Folken - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 07:07 PM)Mtoto Wamoto Wrote: It isn't said, but transfer between Legacy and Non-Legacy will likely be possible,

I would like to clarify that Legacy characters will not be able to transfer to non-legacy server until months after release. It has been explicitly stated by the developers that Legacy cannot move to non-legacy when the transfer system goes live 2-3 weeks after launch.

Also, on the topic of populations. A quick search of members on this site who have listed the server they are going to will bring up these numbers.

Members who listed Balmung as their Server: 239
Members who listed Gilgamesh as their Server: 57

The server section of account profiles was also a recent addition, so it's not being padded by old inactive members. So it puts some things in perspective I think.

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Ashren Dotharl - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 08:32 PM)Shippuu Wrote:
(08-09-2013, 07:07 PM)Mtoto Wamoto Wrote: It isn't said, but transfer between Legacy and Non-Legacy will likely be possible,

I would like to clarify that Legacy characters will not be able to transfer to non-legacy server until months after release. It has been explicitly stated by the developers that Legacy cannot move to non-legacy when the transfer system goes live 2-3 weeks after launch.
Actually this isn't quite true. No one has given any clear indication whether or not Legacy can or cannot use this service to transfer from their server to a Non-Legacy server. The only thing that has been said was:

Valdermeth Wrote:Although the World Transfer Service will begin shortly after release. Details regarding this service, including when Version 1.0 characters will be allowed to transfer from Legacy Worlds have yet to be finalized.

We ask that you please be patient and wait for further details on how this service will work.

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Folken - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 08:36 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote: Actually this isn't quite true. No one has given any clear indication whether or not Legacy can or cannot use this service to transfer from their server to a Non-Legacy server. The only thing that has been said was:

Incorrect. While there was an english response saying that, the actual Japanese message stated by the actual developers stated "a few months" as when they would allow legacy to non-legacy transfers.

This also coincides with an earlier interview with YoshiP in which he stated an estimate of 6 months before they would likely allow those kinds of transfers. They will be monitoring the economies etc and when they feel it's ok they will allow the transfers.

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Aysun - 08-09-2013

Either way tbh Gilgamesh's economy will be the same as Balmung's within a month even without Legacy people transferring to it. People will have 50s within a week and relics within a month, especially with the EG/progression-obsession that Reddit users have. XD

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - CrimsonMars - 08-09-2013

Alright. I do have two characters in mind, so I'll just create them on each server and see how things go. Seems like a good idea.