Hydaelyn Role-Players
Legacy Players: Keeping Old Character or Starting Fresh? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Legacy Players: Keeping Old Character or Starting Fresh? (/showthread.php?tid=3552)

Pages: 1 2 3

Legacy Players: Keeping Old Character or Starting Fresh? - Salty Lake - 08-14-2013

Hi all!  I got to level 30 conjurer on my miqo'te lady on 1.0, but I was planning on starting fresh in ARR because I wanted to play a roegirl and have a name that matches lore.  (My old character's name is Lake Desire.)  Now that I know we can basically recreate our Legacy characters and keep our old levels, I am conflicted!  For those who played 1.0, are you playing a new character as your main, or keeping your old character? What are your reasons for your decision?

RE: Legacy Players: Keeping Old Character or Starting Fresh? - synaesthetic - 08-14-2013

Keeping. She's got more levels than a fresh chara, plus that snazzy Mark of the Twelve!

Happy they're letting us do appearance changes in Phase 4. Smile

RE: Legacy Players: Keeping Old Character or Starting Fresh? - Adelpha - 08-14-2013

Keeping. I'm changing her clan to Highlander, which matches her IC appearance better than the Midlander model does, but I chose the second option because I don't really consider that a "race change."

RE: Legacy Players: Keeping Old Character or Starting Fresh? - Fox - 08-14-2013

I do have a legacy character, but I don't remember much about her and I didn't rp her at the time. So, I will be rolling a new main. Smile

RE: Legacy Players: Keeping Old Character or Starting Fresh? - Yeldir Melfusor - 08-14-2013

Starting fresh on the 'Mesh. I am effectively remaking my Balmung character over there - levels are easy, now, and I see Gilgamesh as a very ripe opportunity. The people I've met so far over there all have fantastic attitudes.

RE: Legacy Players: Keeping Old Character or Starting Fresh? - LandStander - 08-14-2013

My character was level 30+ in everything except fishing (which was like 18 or something), but I am making a new character. I thought about changing my old characters appearance and just keeping the levels, but meh. I thought we could change names? Or did I just make that part up =X?

RE: Legacy Players: Keeping Old Character or Starting Fresh? - Salty Lake - 08-14-2013

(08-14-2013, 12:52 PM)synaesthetic Wrote: Keeping. She's got more levels than a fresh chara, plus that snazzy Mark of the Twelve!

Happy they're letting us do appearance changes in Phase 4. Smile

I should know this, but what is the Mark of the Twelve?

Right now I am probably starting over but keeping my old character as an alt (changing her gender to a male miqo'te because I have wanted to play a male mithra since 2003!).

By the way, I played the game for over three months, but I don't remember my account having "legacy" listed on it, but I had access to the legacy servers... so I am not sure if I get the legacy perks (early access, whatever else).

(08-14-2013, 01:20 PM)LandStander Wrote: My character was level 30+ in everything except fishing (which was like 18 or something), but I am making a new character. I thought about changing my old characters appearance and just keeping the levels, but meh. I thought we could change names? Or did I just make that part up =X?
Oh, could we change names?  Then I don't know if I have any reason to start a new character, unless I want to have fun leveling Conjurer up again!

EDIT: Oh, I never stuck around for the monthly fee days, so I guess I am not getting the legacy discount. Boohoo!

RE: Legacy Players: Keeping Old Character or Starting Fresh? - Caysen - 08-14-2013

My 1.0 character is barely leveled, and I didn't ever get legacy. I really only played him long enough to every class a few levels. I'm keeping him just because I can. Plus I want that back tattoo! He'll be getting a new face and a bunch of tweaks though.

RE: Legacy Players: Keeping Old Character or Starting Fresh? - LandStander - 08-14-2013

Ah! Don't take my word for it. I am not sure. I was under the impression that we could change names, but I am hoping someone can clear this up for us. I hope we can change our character names. I had plans for my 1.0 character as a possible alt somewhere down the road xD. 

As far as the Legacy thing goes you had to have been playing for 3 months when they were charging people a minor monthly fee. The free time didn't count. I think you still get early access and such because I am pretty sure that was for anyone who played 1.0. 

According to the website this the only thing Legacy players get: 
1. Players can continue to play FFXIV post-2.0 for the legacy price.
2. Players will receive a special chocobo when FFXIV 2.0 officially launches.
3. Players can request to have their names places in the FFXIV 2.0 credits. 

You are on the Legacy servers because you played 1.0 and they are basically servers for anyone who played 1.0. 

The mark is just a tattoo on your back that signifies that you are a 1.0 character and that you were in the final battle and time traveled. The whole Warrior of Light shabang

RE: Legacy Players: Keeping Old Character or Starting Fresh? - Murlona - 08-14-2013

(08-14-2013, 02:35 PM)LandStander Wrote: Ah! Don't take my word for it. I am not sure. I was under the impression that we could change names, but I am hoping someone can clear this up for us. I hope we can change our character names. I had plans for my 1.0 character as a possible alt somewhere down the road xD.

We can.
Quote:Changing the Appearance of the Characters from Version 1.0
As announced in the past, the graphics engine has been completely redesigned in FFXIV: ARR and players from Version 1.0 will receive a one-time opportunity to change the race, appearance, Nameday, Guardian and character name of their existing character(s).

Starting from the Beta Test phase 4, players will be able to make this change when they log into the game with a character transferred from Version 1.0.
Please note that if the change has been made during the Beta Test phase 4, you will be unable to make a new change in both Early Access and the official launch.
Via: http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/98692-Beta-Test-Phase-4-Schedule-and-Testing-Details

RE: Legacy Players: Keeping Old Character or Starting Fresh? - Salty Lake - 08-14-2013

(08-14-2013, 03:18 PM)Murlona Wrote:
(08-14-2013, 02:35 PM)LandStander Wrote: Ah! Don't take my word for it. I am not sure. I was under the impression that we could change names, but I am hoping someone can clear this up for us. I hope we can change our character names. I had plans for my 1.0 character as a possible alt somewhere down the road xD.

We can.
As announced in the past, the graphics engine has been completely redesigned in FFXIV: ARR and players from Version 1.0 will receive a one-time opportunity to change the race, appearance, Nameday, Guardian and character name of their existing character(s).

Starting from the Beta Test phase 4, players will be able to make this change when they log into the game with a character transferred from Version 1.0.
Please note that if the change has been made during the Beta Test phase 4, you will be unable to make a new change in both Early Access and the official launch.
Via: http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/98692-Beta-Test-Phase-4-Schedule-and-Testing-Details

Thanks for sharing!  So no comment on if we can change the character name.

Guess I should have stuck around 1.0 longer.  I got new anti-virus software that made the game not work, and didn't try very hard to fix it... and then two years went by! Blush  Ah well!  

Guess I'll keep my 1.0 character as an alt for RP purposes.  Moogle

RE: Legacy Players: Keeping Old Character or Starting Fresh? - FreelanceWizard - 08-14-2013

My highest level 1.x character on Balmung was level 7. Smile So, I'll definitely be starting a new one. While it's tempting to use the appearance change to transform that character into L'yhta to get around the equipment transfer restrictions, I think I'll just deal with it.

RE: Legacy Players: Keeping Old Character or Starting Fresh? - Murlona - 08-14-2013

It's like a free new character with all the levels and equipment (not that that really matters unless they were holiday items..) of your old character.

Since we can change the name and I have a couple level 50s and 20s-30s spread out, I'm just going to change to a new name, appearance, and race but keep all the time I've spent.

I'm keeping the birthday the same, though. Murlona should have something in memory of Ruok before killing her off...

RE: Legacy Players: Keeping Old Character or Starting Fresh? - synaesthetic - 08-14-2013

(08-14-2013, 01:26 PM)Lake Desire Wrote: I should know this, but what is the Mark of the Twelve?

The Legacy tattoo on your chara's back. Smile

RE: Legacy Players: Keeping Old Character or Starting Fresh? - Adelpha - 08-14-2013

(08-14-2013, 03:33 PM)Lake Desire Wrote:
(08-14-2013, 03:18 PM)Murlona Wrote:

Thanks for sharing!  So no comment on if we can change the character name.
As Murlona said, we can! I've bolded it for easier finding.