Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hello! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hello! (/showthread.php?tid=3566)

Hello! - Galen Gyur - 08-14-2013

Greetings all!

Been lurking for a while, but finally got the guts to post Smile I've been thrilled to see such a lively, thoughtful community in an MMO...it's been much too long since I've gotten to really take advantage of the social aspect and get wrapped up in both lore and friendship.

--MMORPG background
I've played several over the years. I was a total UO junkie, which got me into the RP concept, and I still log in from time to time to see how the world has changed. I took a little mmo break when I started college (waaaay too much time wrapped up in studying and hockey!), then came back to WoW, GW2, and Rift. Great games, and I was fortunate enough to land some long-time friends through WoW. The major reason I drifted away, though, was the waning of my social circle. None of them will be following me here, unfortunately, so I'm certainly looking forward to a new start! I'd like to think I'm a pretty good player across the board, but I was always the guy that was playing for the story and immersion.

Plus, it helps that I've been an FF junkie my whole life Smile I don't know how I avoided FFXI--think it was in it's prime while I was tied up with school!

--RP experience
I don't have very much RP experience. I'm a bit nervous about the concept, really, but not in a bad way! I'm just a perfectionist with my writing (English major in school) and I like to make sure I tie up details and loose ends--I'd hope that would be a strength in the long run, but it causes anxiety up front. I'm very much looking forward to really creating an ongoing story-within-a-story, though!

--Character ideas/info
As of yet, I'm struggling with class--I had a blast with Gladiator in the beta and am sort of leaning that direction, but I've wanted to be a Dragoon since I played FFII (American--always get the Japan-U.S. iterations confused), and I'm also high on Black Mage (usually play a mage character). I'm sure I could wrap Mage and Paladin together SOMEHOW, but it's a long-term project.

Anyway, I will be playing a Hyur Highlander--a refugee from Ala Mhigo trying to find his way in a different land. Outwardly tough and apprehensive of strangers, but inside, has a big heart and will help anyone. Has a great affinity for the leader of Ul'dah (the Lalafell and her guardian--names escape me right now Huh) and is disturbed by the plight of the people throughout the city and surrounding lands. Wants to improve the world around him, but doesn't want the recognition. I'll be building something around that Smile

--How did you learn about the coalition?

Word of mouth from the FFXIV forums; I was hoping Squeenix would have dedicated RP servers, and was stoked to find a thriving community even without!

--What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?

Probably light-to-medium, but I certainly want to grow within the experience!

--Anything from real life you'€™re comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc)

As much as I love gaming, I just had a birth in the family that is pretty much my life right now--my daughter is a month old tomorrow (! ...already?) and that makes making ANY event in my life a bit tricky. Although I do love to be physically active as well and as mentioned before I write and teach. Extended stories are sort of my thing so that works hand-in-hand with a game like this Smile

Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible!
[url=http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=310][/url]

RE: Hello! - Desmond Aryll - 08-14-2013

Welcome Galen.

Welcome to the site. it's been a life saver for me waiting for the game to come back. Although it's only a couple of days left, every little bit helps.

If you're stomping around Ul'Dah on G (that's what I'm calling Gilgamesh, it's gonna catch on for sure!), maybe I'll bump into ya sometime. Thumbsup

RE: Hello! - Fox - 08-14-2013

Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy your time here. If you need any help with rp this is a good link to start with: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=1770 Smile

RE: Hello! - Galen Gyur - 08-15-2013

(08-14-2013, 09:00 PM)Desmond Aryll Wrote: Welcome Galen.

Welcome to the site. it's been a life saver for me waiting for the game to come back. Although it's only a couple of days left, every little bit helps.

If you're stomping around Ul'Dah on G (that's what I'm calling Gilgamesh, it's gonna catch on for sure!), maybe I'll bump into ya sometime. Thumbsup

Thank you much! Yes, it's been easing the anxiety between phases. Keeps me away from the character creator and datamining sites Wink I'll definitely see you around Ul'Dah; probably going to spend the first night or two examining every nook and cranny of the city for a hangout spot.

(08-14-2013, 10:26 PM)Foxberry Wrote: Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy your time here. If you need any help with rp this is a good link to start with: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=1770 Smile

Thanks kindly! It's been great so far...and I love the resources. I might even fool around with the Wiki a bit tonight...start drafting a backstory and get more acquainted with the lore. Will give me something to work on while I'm on diaper duty.

RE: Hello! - SereneAurora - 08-15-2013

Huzzah! Fresh meat!

I've only been really active in this community for a couple of months now. I don't think I've ever known a funner bunch of people or felt more welcome in such a short period of time.

My personal favorite interactions are in the Skype chat room. We kibbitz about anything and everything, especially the game! We share links to information (and other internet nonsense) in real time, plus when people start to do livestreams of their art they'll give us links so we can watch! I'm "SereneAurora" on Skype if you want to hit me up for an invite.

If nothing else, enjoy your time here on the forums and wiki! The strength of this community gets me excited in ways I never have been before.

RE: Hello! - Gideon Aryeh - 08-15-2013

Welcome to the site, looking forward to rping with you! Hope to see you at the upcoming events we will be having on Gilgamesh!

RE: Hello! - Silverlight - 08-15-2013

*waves* hello and welcome, look forward to seeing you round in the game ^^

RE: Hello! - Vee - 08-15-2013

The 'Mesh I like it!
Welcome! Tonberry

I'm really looking forward to bumping into you in-game, and also a big congratulations to you and your newborn babe. My brother had another kid not too long back so I definitely get all warm and fuzzy hearing about other peoples kids. Anyways, glad you're representing a Hyur and it possibly sounds like Ul'dah as well? *Fist bumps.* 

I should also mention we have other forms of communication, a skype OOC chat, but that will become quite moot once the game goes live in which case we have a Ventrilo set up. (See the Gilgamesh Events section).

Otherwise, can't wait to play and get to RP with everyone gaaaah. Bouncy

RE: Hello! - Nel Celestine - 08-15-2013

Hello!  hope to see you in game sometime.

[youtube]o7kRLrAQ1uI[/youtube]

RE: Hello! - Galen Gyur - 08-16-2013

Thanks again all! Thrilled to be part of such a warm community Big Grin