Hydaelyn Role-Players
Retainer customization - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Retainer customization (/showthread.php?tid=3642)

Retainer customization - Niteshade_Rune - 08-17-2013

I for some reason always hate making to many posts within short spans of each other but I keep finding myself wondering about this and wanted to ask since the busy-ness in game right now makes asking some Q's a bit .. difficult lol.

With us being able to customize the appearance of our retainers upon first hiring them(or hiring them back as it were for us 1.0 players) I want to dig thru the inventories of my 2 loyal retainers to see what I had them holding.. and because I think they've got a few seasonal items i'd like to trade in to the npc but I'm hesitant since I'm not sure if we only get 1 time only to change their appearance or not @.@

So as anyone possibly testing this yet? lol

RE: Retainer customization - Clover - 08-17-2013

I'm still trying to find out how to hire a retainer, but I definitely want to customize one as soon as I get the chance.

My partner isn't going to play much in the end, so I want to make his character *laughs*.

RE: Retainer customization - Aysun - 08-17-2013

When a 1.0 character hires a retainer, it prompts them to design and name (rename) their retainer from 1.0. THEN you are able to call them and dig around in your stuff. I do believe this is a one time thing.

RE: Retainer customization - Niteshade_Rune - 08-17-2013

Yea i figured the appearance thing was a 1 time thing, but i wanted to make sure before i went n called them out lol. I may just leave them on their vacation until launch when I feel like putting time in to customize both a bit.

I dont really need to rush to get into their inventories.

RE: Retainer customization - Niteshade_Rune - 08-19-2013

Soo... i totally got so wrapped up in enjoying the beautiful scenery and gathering, and tryin to accomplish a minor goal before the end of the open beta weekend I never did get a chance to try and look in on my old retainers.

I'm gathering we will only get a single opportunity to customize their appearance, what I'm curious of also still is if we will be able to hand over some gear or old clothing to wear for display? I remember this being possible back in 1.0 and was one of the reasons i went and made sure both characters i had had enough materials for the Usugi kabuto helms and the xmas/Dream wear clothing to make up a few batches so that I could give some to each of my retainers plus keep one for myself.

Tho I suppose if we can't give them different old gear to wear for appearances I can see about handing over some of my spares to my gf's character as well.

RE: Retainer customization - Kylin - 08-19-2013

At the moment, there doesn't appear to be a vanity feature for retainers. It existed in 1.0 though and I'm sure they'll bring it back sooner or later. For now, they're stuck in that airplane flight attendant looking gear >.>

As per the original question, yes. The customization is a 1 time deal. You hire a retainer and then customize their appearance, choose personality, and name them (the old 1.0 name will come up during a prompt at the end if you had a 1.0 retainer, allowing you to keep the name or change it). After you finish, you'll be able to access any items from 1.0 that were left in your original retainer(s).

The customization is pretty sweet though. It's identical to the regular character creator, except it doesn't force you to leave the game or anything. It's built right in Smile

(08-19-2013, 06:47 PM)Kylin Wrote: At the moment, there doesn't appear to be a vanity feature for retainers. It existed in 1.0 though and I'm sure they'll bring it back sooner or later. For now, they're stuck in that airplane flight attendant looking gear >.>

As per the original question, yes. The customization is a 1 time deal. You hire a retainer and then customize their appearance, choose personality, and name them (the old 1.0 name will come up during a prompt at the end if you had a 1.0 retainer, allowing you to keep the name or change it). After you finish, you'll be able to access any items from 1.0 that were left in your original retainer(s).

The customization is pretty sweet though. It's identical to the regular character creator, except it doesn't force you to leave the game or anything. It's built right in Smile

Yea, during phase 3 i saw that weird attire. if they at least gave us color options lol. Well I'm sure they know we would like to see a vanity option on the retainers, but Having them back is good enough and theres much else they'd likely rather focus on for launch/post launch anyway so its fine heh.

What does the, personality thing involve? I saw it mentioned but they really didnt say much of what it did.

RE: Retainer customization - Torn Sky - 08-19-2013

Yeah, you only get one go at customization before you re-hire them. It appears that you can release and hire a new retainer as many times as you want though. So, if you feel like a change later, you can take all the items off of one, release, hire, and customize - as tedious as that is.

I really do hope they let us dress them up later. ;u; It's probably redundant at this point after all the character creation screenshot threads, but I'd love to see how everyone designed their retainers. I made Torn's into two Sea Wolves that look like they could be brother and sister. Hehe.

(08-19-2013, 07:01 PM)Niteshade0 Wrote:
(08-19-2013, 06:47 PM)Kylin Wrote: At the moment, there doesn't appear to be a vanity feature for retainers. It existed in 1.0 though and I'm sure they'll bring it back sooner or later. For now, they're stuck in that airplane flight attendant looking gear >.>

Yea, during phase 3 i saw that weird attire. if they at least gave us color options lol. Well I'm sure they know we would like to see a vanity option on the retainers, but Having them back is good enough and theres much else they'd likely rather focus on for launch/post launch anyway so its fine heh.

What does the, personality thing involve? I saw it mentioned but they really didnt say much of what it did.

Personality determines what their one-liners are when you call and dismiss them. Because SE has said we'll be able to use our houses as storefronts, it also makes me wonder if they'll have dialogue based on their personality when someone else interacts with them as well.

RE: Retainer customization - Kylin - 08-19-2013

I think they'll almost certainly let us dress them as we wish. They mentioned letting us summon them in our houses and there are also market stands in the housing instance (Mist), which leads me to think retainers will be capable of being summoned there too. And if retainers are visible to other PCs, it's only logical to allow gear customization.

The personality thing really just involves choosing one of 5-6 personalities. I forget how many there were. The only one I remember now is "polite." All it really does so far is determine how the retainer greets you when you summon and dismiss him/her. They tell you what each personality option will say when talking to you, so it's pretty cut and dry.

Ah, thanks on the additional replies.

I know we can also call our Retainers from the Inn rooms as well, i noticed a bell there before i logged out lastnight.