Hydaelyn Role-Players
Server Choice - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Server Choice (/showthread.php?tid=3741)

Pages: 1 2

Server Choice - Mathias - 08-20-2013

Quick question about choosing servers to call my home. My friends are choosing Balmung as their RP home. And as I'm told, that's the unofficial Rp server with Gilgamesh being the 2nd. I've also heard that Balmung is a legacy server, which in my opinion the Rp players, storylines, bonds, etc etc have already been established and well rooted. So, my question is. As a new Rper to the game (but an Rper for 5+ years) would it be wise for me to jump into a server as established Rp wise as Balmung or branch off to the newer Gilgamesh? Any thoughts/opinions would be great thank ya Big Grin

RE: Server Choice - Rue - 08-20-2013

Their both about the same when it comes to established I think. I've been new to both and found rp actually easily in both as well.

RE: Server Choice - LandStander - 08-20-2013

Rue pretty much hit the hammer on the head. The new members in the Legacy server far outweigh the number of older members.  A lot of people are Legacy, like myself, who barely touched the game because it was so awful in 1.0. I personally came from Masamune server and didn't RP in 1.0

RE: Server Choice - Mathias - 08-20-2013

Ah alright I wasn't sure how established everyone was with one another in Balmung, or if it would be wiser to join a newer, fresher server where everyones kind of on the same level as far as the Rp community goes. Thanks for the help guys Smile

RE: Server Choice - shotgunbadger - 08-20-2013

Yea, for for both servers the bulk of the population will be new players, so just grab whichever is a better fit for you or whatever you know people on and enjoy the game!

RE: Server Choice - Asyria - 08-20-2013

As mentionned Balmung won't have only established RPers (far from it!). There will be many new ones as well and many who just haven't been there for a while so there isn't as much established stuff as one might think.

Plus, 5 years have passed in-game since 1.0 so even established characters have had a long downtime OR (if they choose to have been at the memory-altering events) have been time-warped 5 years ahead to a changed world, with people having forgotten things about them (and wondering where the hells they've been for the past 5 years) Needless to say, anything that could have been ICly considered established has changed and is now essentially Character Background material.

The only thing that is really established is the community and game progression (in terms of levels, cash and gear), and those are OOC things.

On Gilgamesh, people could still decide to RP as if they've been at The Battle and through the Time Warp, but it's probably going to be less common as the whole point of rolling on Gilgamesh is to get that fresh start.

To answer your question, I'll just say follow your friends. ^^
Normally, I'd say roll on both servers, see for yourself, but since your friends already made their choice there really is no reason not to go with them.

As for established vs brand new, if it's established RP that worries you, there's nothing to worry about.
If it's having high level wealthy people around that worries you.. you might have a little to worry about... though in my opinion, give a month and there won't be much of a difference between the two servers.

Nowadays, people reach level cap in a week, then cry about lack of endgame content. Tongue

RE: Server Choice - Gideon Aryeh - 08-20-2013

Check out the youtube video in this post if you would like to weigh out your choices. Its pretty informative and gives honest information about both.
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=3465&highlight=Nel+Celestine+server+video

RE: Server Choice - Clover - 08-20-2013

I'm a new player as well, and I chose Balmung because it's where most RPers are. As others have said, many new players will be there, so it'll be like a fresh start as well.

I personally also find it very interesting to know that some veteran characters will have a real background they RPed back in the day, and that some of them will rightfully represent the Warriors of Light the lore mentions.

(08-20-2013, 02:32 AM)Clover Wrote: I'm a new player as well, and I chose Balmung because it's where most RPers are. As others have said, many new players will be there, so it'll be like a fresh start as well.

I personally also find it very interesting to know that some veteran characters will have a real background they RPed back in the day, and that some of them will rightfully represent the Warriors of Light the lore mentions.

The first part may or may not be true but the second is admitedly intriguing and makes me regret having dropped out of 1.0. My legacy characters have the mark but I haven't actually played much of the game so I don't really -have- that RPed background...

(08-20-2013, 02:40 AM)Asyria Wrote: The first part may or may not be true but the second is admitedly intriguing and makes me regret having dropped out of 1.0. My legacy characters have the mark but I haven't actually played much of the game so I don't really -have- that RPed background...
If by the first part you mean which server has more RPers, I believe it's always been very clear (?). There've been several polls about it already, and the results have always been the same.

Well, not having an RPed background isn't a bad thing either. Fresh starts are fun!
I just find it cool to know that some characters I might meet around the world have been there for a long time, living tons of experiences. Perhaps my characters might learn a thing or two from them.

I never trust polls, a lot of people don't bother with them. Similarly, not all RPers ar on the RPC and many RPers avoid official forums. Heck, many non-RPers avoid them too.
What I do trust is how much RP I actually see in-game and how big the RP guilds (or linkshells) are.
As far as the RPC's OOC Linkshells go on Galmung and Giglamesh alike, I think they're pretty similar in size, from what I've seen.
Also, while that's very unfortunate, there are those who believe RPCers are a clique, or are elitists or whatever other abomination they might make up due to the fact that we have our own forum (Remember the whole "OMG they're not letting people create accounts to vote, so evil!" thing?) and those RPers sure won't be on Balmung. Then again, probably not on Gilgamesh either. ^^;

RE: Server Choice - Mathias - 08-20-2013

Wanted to say thank you guys. You all were extremely helpful.

(08-20-2013, 11:17 AM)Asyria Wrote: I never trust polls, a lot of people don't bother with them. Similarly, not all RPers ar on the RPC and many RPers avoid official forums. Heck, many non-RPers avoid them too.
What I do trust is how much RP I actually see in-game and how big the RP guilds (or linkshells) are.
As far as the RPC's OOC Linkshells go on Galmung and Giglamesh alike, I think they're pretty similar in size, from what I've seen.
Also, while that's very unfortunate, there are those who believe RPCers are a clique, or are elitists or whatever other abomination they might make up due to the fact that we have our own forum (Remember the whole "OMG they're not letting people create accounts to vote, so evil!" thing?) and those RPers sure won't be on Balmung. Then again, probably not on Gilgamesh either. ^^;
If there are RPers who don't visit any forum and don't want to be informed of what the unofficial RP servers are, I doubt they'll end up on either Balmung and Gilgamesh.

I do trust polls, especially when all of them display the same result and when at least one of them had been advertised outside this forum, but I can also talk about my own experience. It wasn't possible to organize a Miqo'te Tribe on Gilgamesh because the vast majority of (tribal) Miqo'tes were on Balmung. Balmung is also the original unofficial server, which has been around for a quite a while and has had people working on it for so long, so it's only expected that it'd be more populated than a completely brand new community.

There are already tons of posts from Gilgamesh people stating how awesome their server is. I don't think it's necessary to go as far as to even say that both communities are similar in size, when they clearly are not.

RE: Server Choice - Yeldir Melfusor - 08-20-2013

Yeah, having just come out of P4, I'd say either server has a strong community to choose from at this point.

It drives me up the wall, the gloom and doom posts made regarding the internet communities on Gilgamesh (some of these threads I was a part of!), and then the same communities pretty much gave us a line of people eager to join us. How quickly these guys picked up the basics blew my mind.

I think all the polls display the same results because it's all the same people participating in them. Tongue

As for people not knowing about Balm/Gilg because they don't participate on forums.. a simple google search and a bit of lurking would fix that. I probably wouldn't be participating much if it all if I didn't have so much free time on my hands, but I would still look where the RP is and roll there.

In fact I used to do exactly that when I had a full-time job. Just search for the information I need (where's the rp?) note it down and not participate in any forum activity.

Anyways, not that it changes much!

Just wanted to point out that polls and numbers aren't everything and in-game experience can show surprising differences.