Hydaelyn Role-Players
NDA, be gone! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: NDA, be gone! (/showthread.php?tid=381)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: NDA, be gone! - Kashemia - 08-12-2010

Yeah, I've stayed away from those boards for the same reasons that you guys mentioned. The problems Aveline listed did make me a tiny bit worried, but not something that greatly detracts from my interest in the game ^^

I'm sure it will be great, and the attitude just means a lot too, and people seem to positive on these boards, and then it usually never turns out totally bad ^^

Re: NDA, be gone! - Trizzip - 08-12-2010

Loving the critiques. Thanks guys!

Re: NDA, be gone! - Iroh - 08-12-2010

With how soon it's coming out I actually expected it all to be a lot worse. This constructive criticism here is nice to see as well, no one is coming off as a fanboy here. Smile

I guess because my expectations are so low about certain things, I won't be disappointed. What I really want the MOST is a beautiful, huge world to explore with lots of different things to do RP-wise, and from what you guys have said, that important core of the game is there. So woohoo!

Re: NDA, be gone! - ArmachiA - 08-12-2010

Honestly, there really isn't THAT much criticism to be had, the main problems are with the UI and the keyboard/mouse functionality. The game is very streamlined, it's somewhat easy to level so it doesn't actually feel like your grinding when you are. The cutscenes are extremely immersive and the story is interesting.

We don't get to see a lot of beta, they've only said there's 20% of it available, but what we see if beautiful, fun, and interesting. Like every game, it definitely has it's faults, especially in Beta (Those of you in WoWs beta can remember how craptastic it was compared to release). The game is already HUGE, with lots of areas for good rp sessions. I cant wait to see a dungeon or endgame honestly. It's seeming like it's going to be a really solid game.

It's okay to be worried, because when it releases the first thing your gonna do is flip about the UI. Trust me XD

Re: NDA, be gone! - Averis - 08-13-2010

I've only been able to mess with the beta for an hour, but yeah, the biggest issue I see so far are the controls and interface.

The mouse cursor is supposedly software (not hardware) so there is a delay. If you're used to using a mouse and keyboard then things will seem a little odd as the game really prefers using keys like XI. That will take a while to get comfortable with again for some. In some ways it feels like a step backward after playing modern MMOs. The menu system could use work. It's clunky and not really intuitive, unless, again, you played XI.

I have a friend coming that has only played WoW and I worry they might get a little turned off by the current setup.

Besides that, even with my 2 year old computer the game is SO pretty. I love feeling like it's a deep world. I love that there are no ! over NPCs. Tongue

Re: NDA, be gone! - Renaise - 08-13-2010

Is there an option to set up a control pad for the game yet?

Re: NDA, be gone! - Satrina - 08-13-2010

Aveline Wrote:My thoughts on the beta thus far:

The ok-but-needs-work:
Character customization:
Show Content

I think they said more will be added for live. If they are just lying, will be putting in a lot more, or WANT to put in more but won't be able to is to be seen. I hope they hold to their word and put some more customizing in.

Quote:Guildleves:
Show Content

Just to address this, not sure how high lvl you are but from my other forum they say guild leves will increase in time needed to complete by a good amount, and become more plentiful. Keep in mind there will be 3 other starting areas, all with their own leves i'm sure, and if transportation between them is allowed early on then that's triple the amount available in beta. Not to mention they may add more. The reason they have the cooldown, which i'm not sure will even come into live with that large of a cooldown is the amount of xp you get from the later guildleve's is HUGE. They don't want people bursting out levels like nothing and hitting max level in a week or 2 like WoW. My opinion at least.

Re: NDA, be gone! - Kashemia - 08-14-2010

I don't think it's unlikely either, that they've made the time between guildleves higher to avoid people from levelling too quickly during beta.

Re: NDA, be gone! - ArmachiA - 08-14-2010

That's cuz right now it only takes like 4 leves to hit level 10 and rank 10 in your chosen class. Seriously, it's easy sauce.

Re: NDA, be gone! - Aveline - 08-14-2010

Quote:Just to address this, not sure how high lvl you are but from my other forum they say guild leves will increase in time needed to complete by a good amount, and become more plentiful. Keep in mind there will be 3 other starting areas, all with their own leves i'm sure, and if transportation between them is allowed early on then that's triple the amount available in beta.

There actually seems to be a cap right now on how many leves you can do in a day. I jumped on this morning and did four leves for Bearded Rock and three leves for Skull Valley. After that I was high enough level to try Bloodshore, so I went back to town to collect those. I get a message currently saying I am unable to trade leves for new ones. I asked around and it is confirmed: you can only do so many leves in a day; after that you have to wait for the 48 hour cooldown to trade in your finished leves for new ones.

So if the current system stays in place as is, there could be thousands of leves available to me in game, and I'd only be able to do 7 every 48 hours. I really hope that is not the case. :/ Or if it is the case, I hope they only charge me a subscription fee for every other day. ;P

Re: NDA, be gone! - Kashemia - 08-14-2010

As I said, I really think that is just for beta. It makes perfect sense that they don't want people to level too fast right now, so they slow down what you have access to. I'd be VERY surprised if it stays like this after launch. It sounds like a typical beta move.

Re: NDA, be gone! - Sylian - 08-14-2010

I had a question for those of you in beta, I'm sorry if this is already discussed elsewhere but it can be a little hard navigating the many posts around the forum as a new member. Well two questions, actually. Is player housing available (yet) in beta? I was wondering what they will do with that (mog houses?)
Also, is there an option for 'custom' emotes, like /e or /em? Or will we have to use other ways to emote like * * or : : ?

Thanks Smile

On a sidenote, I do hope they add more customisation options for the other races. Because having 41 hairstyles for one race and 8 for another seems a bit odd.. so I reckon (hope) they'll add those.

Re: NDA, be gone! - ArmachiA - 08-14-2010

Big nope on both of those

/wave isn't even possible yet XD

Re: NDA, be gone! - Satisiun - 08-14-2010

In regards ofthe UI and the somewhat delayed movement of my character when playing the beta, one thing that has actually helped me a lot is, and this might sound weird ...

... pretend you're playing a game like Mass Effect.

Take note of how your character doesn't exactly stop on a dime like how they do in other games, particularly MMOs? It feels more, in a way, realistic. The manner in which the character slows to a trot, then finally stops. Or how they have to push back on their leg when strafing from left to right, or turning to turn around and continue moving.

Of course this doesn't necessarily forgive the general delay when it comes to responding to controls, both on the keyboard and the mouse.

If I wasn't stuck in the middle of a trip to see family right now, I'd go in to some more thoughts. But for the time being, 3 points of interest out of me:

-I really, really miss arrow camera controls. Bite me, home key users, and take your IJKL camera controls with you. Sad

-I don't know if it is on purpose, but it seems to me like there is a lot, and I mean a lot, less accuracy when fighting enemies when you compare how fights worked in FFXI. Know how you almost never missed with a TP move in XI? Expect many moments of "FFFFFFUUUUUU--" when your TP attack you built up misses, and you're stuck flailing as a Puk Hatchling pummels you to oblivious.

-And speaking of monsters, they really need to find a better way to denote an enemy's strength. For the time being it is represented by a specific colored icon next to the enemy's name when they are targeted. For some people with issues of color blindness or color deficiency, this is a real bad thing to do, especially when there is no secondary method of checking their strength. And the other issue is at least right now, difficulty gauging seems very arbitrary and not at all accurate for many monsters.

More to come when I am not busy fending off relatives and golden retrievers.

Re: NDA, be gone! - Sylian - 08-14-2010

ArmachiA Wrote:Big nope on both of those

/wave isn't even possible yet XD

*gasp* :o No /wave?! Dealbreaker!

I'm sure they'll add it eventually.. Tongue As for /e or /em, might have to do without it, like in Aion. Oh well, doesn't bother me quite so much. Just takes a little getting used to again Smile And housing.. they did mention they will add it eventually?