Hydaelyn Role-Players
Need help - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Need help (/showthread.php?tid=3899)

Need help - Orin - 08-23-2013

Hello fellow forum goers. I am in need of your assistance. My brother and I are truly excited to get a chance to RP in FF14. With that being said, it seems like we can't find our "niche" to fit into as far as linkshells and FC goes. We have both spent time reviewing the many linkshells listed on the website but are still undecided, and I was hoping the community could help us. A few things that we are interested in:
-World Rp (while rp'ing in a tavern is exciting, the world of Eorzea is probabaly bustling with beautiful places to RP in)
-A constant state of IC (while this is hard to pull off while doing in game content dungeons, raids, etc.. we were hoping that we could truly give our characters a chance to be as realistic as possible)
-Lore Adherence (if your character is a dragon slaying uber leet killer my character will probably be scared of you and run away)
-RpPvP- (I've read similar forum posts of how people are wary of this. I believe it could be a great opportunity for our citizens of Eorzea to "Unleash" some stress with other characters (I speak of the Arena) as well as settle disputes among other LS or FC )
-An LS or FS that is not closed off from others. ( In our previous mmo's we have found that once a guild begins to be established with their members it's hard for other newer members to join in)
-Community based- (With Balmung and Gilgamesh being labeled a "RP" server, it would only make sense that the leaders communicate with each other and coordinate events.)

While I may sound like a needy child at Christmas I ask for the aid of more knowledgeable forum goers. With the game starting tomorrow we were hoping to get some quick responses.

Thank you Rp'ers,
Orin CactuarChocoboTonberry

RE: Need help - Goodeburger - 08-23-2013

Hello! I can give my two cents on what your problems are and such.

1) When finding a linkshell to fit into you should think about what your character wants too. I'm not saying to join a linkshell that you, as the player, won't feel comfortable in. I'm saying that if you think the linkshell is good/all right - most are good in my opinion - you should think about what you want for your character and what they would want if they had a true conscious and such. For example: My character, Penelope Rundall, is a unusually happy, perky, nerdy, mage figure who, deep down inside, will do anything for her magic. Thus allowing herself to be drawn into a lot of darker, twisted things in order for her magic to continuously grow powerful. With this she may be joining The Mysterium - a linkshell in which it is promised that her powers will grow with the nurturing of Masters of certain schools of magic.

2) I've seen a nice bit of "World RP" and yes it is a beautiful world. Tavern RP is cool and all, I agree, but sometimes it just gets too cluttered in the chat box for me to handle. That's when I try to seek out RP outside of the Ul'dah, Limsa Lominsa and Gridania. All three of those worlds are pretty inside the city and out. During Open Beta and Phase Four I witness and went through World RP out in the hot springs in Limsa or out in the forest of Gridania. So, there isn't a lack of it but I do think there could be more. Though, I believe that will be addressed as soon as Early Access and Official Release are out. It gives people time to find said locations for World RP and when they are found there will be plenty of it!

3) A constant state of IC is hard to pull off, it is sometimes. But, that doesn't mean it's impossible. Sometimes people want to go OOC to grind and level, like myself at times where I just don't want to RP. But, just because I don't want to doesn't mean that I will decline an offer to RP. An offer to further my character's story and further develop them. The constant state of IC is only true for few people, though. Sometimes when one is progressing through an instance or a raid they want to focus on the progression and the grinding of it. Thus, not allowing or not wanting to stay in IC mode for the majority of it - if at all.

4) From what I've seen Lore Adherence isn't a problem. There are a few that have non-traditional names for their races but that can be easily looked over at times. And if someone is lore bending or not making sense with their character and the mashing of said character with the lore then you'd do best to run away.

5) RP PVP is some of my favourite coming from the world of Guild Wars 2 roleplay on Picken Square. We RP'd PVP constantly. There was always a battle to be had and everyone was quite good at it if you seperated the meta gamers and godmodders from the rest of the nice, nice people. People knew what their characters were capable of and they wouldn't force another player into something that they didn't want to be apart of. That said, RP PVP shouldn't be too hard in FFXIV: ARR. I look forward to the little bouts of scraps and skirmishes that are bound to happen between rivaling Free Companies and Linkshells or even rivalling characters. I think it is entertaining and can cause for some great character development if your character wins against their rival or vice versa.

6) I haven't seen many or any closed off and inverted Free Companies and Linkshells. Every linkshell here is open to many kinds of people if their characters are interested in the linkshell and if the linkshell is interested in what said character has to offer. It hasn't been too hard to get into a linkshell based on what I've experienced. In my opinion, and something I follow myself, if a LS doesn't want me or doesn't show interest in me or my character then I won't be bothered by it. I'm sure there are plenty of other "fish in the sea" that want you.

7) This community is very close knit and I can only imagine the possibilities of more interaction between both servers once Early Access and Official Release are out and proud!

RE: Need help - T'shina - 08-23-2013

Well, my Free Company is not listed on the website. But my husband and I are transferring a guild from another game over to the Gilgamesh server!

Black Sun Trading Company is what we are called. We focus on trade routes, adventuring and overall experiencing the world as well as making a profit!

So if you are ever interested in us, just send a tell to either myself (Althena Locke) or Matthias Silverstar.

RE: Need help - Orin - 08-23-2013

(08-23-2013, 09:12 PM)Penny! Wrote: Hello! I can give my two cents on what your problems are and such.

1) When finding a linkshell to fit into you should think about what your character wants too. I'm not saying to join a linkshell that you, as the player, won't feel comfortable in. I'm saying that if you think the linkshell is good/all right - most are good in my opinion - you should think about what you want for your character and what they would want if they had a true conscious and such. For example: My character, Penelope Rundall, is a unusually happy, perky, nerdy, mage figure who, deep down inside, will do anything for her magic. Thus allowing herself to be drawn into a lot of darker, twisted things in order for her magic to continuously grow powerful. With this she may be joining The Mysterium - a linkshell in which it is promised that her powers will grow with the nurturing of Masters of certain schools of magic.

2) I've seen a nice bit of "World RP" and yes it is a beautiful world. Tavern RP is cool and all, I agree, but sometimes it just gets too cluttered in the chat box for me to handle. That's when I try to seek out RP outside of the Ul'dah, Limsa Lominsa and Gridania. All three of those worlds are pretty inside the city and out. During Open Beta and Phase Four I witness and went through World RP out in the hot springs in Limsa or out in the forest of Gridania. So, there isn't a lack of it but I do think there could be more. Though, I believe that will be addressed as soon as Early Access and Official Release are out. It gives people time to find said locations for World RP and when they are found there will be plenty of it!

3) A constant state of IC is hard to pull off, it is sometimes. But, that doesn't mean it's impossible. Sometimes people want to go OOC to grind and level, like myself at times where I just don't want to RP. But, just because I don't want to doesn't mean that I will decline an offer to RP. An offer to further my character's story and further develop them. The constant state of IC is only true for few people, though. Sometimes when one is progressing through an instance or a raid they want to focus on the progression and the grinding of it. Thus, not allowing or not wanting to stay in IC mode for the majority of it - if at all.

4) From what I've seen Lore Adherence isn't a problem. There are a few that have non-traditional names for their races but that can be easily looked over at times. And if someone is lore bending or not making sense with their character and the mashing of said character with the lore then you'd do best to run away.

5) RP PVP is some of my favourite coming from the world of Guild Wars 2 roleplay on Picken Square. We RP'd PVP constantly. There was always a battle to be had and everyone was quite good at it if you seperated the meta gamers and godmodders from the rest of the nice, nice people. People knew what their characters were capable of and they wouldn't force another player into something that they didn't want to be apart of. That said, RP PVP shouldn't be too hard in FFXIV: ARR. I look forward to the little bouts of scraps and skirmishes that are bound to happen between rivaling Free Companies and Linkshells or even rivalling characters. I think it is entertaining and can cause for some great character development if your character wins against their rival or vice versa.

6) I haven't seen many or any closed off and inverted Free Companies and Linkshells. Every linkshell here is open to many kinds of people if their characters are interested in the linkshell and if the linkshell is interested in what said character has to offer. It hasn't been too hard to get into a linkshell based on what I've experienced. In my opinion, and something I follow myself, if a LS doesn't want me or doesn't show interest in me or my character then I won't be bothered by it. I'm sure there are plenty of other "fish in the sea" that want you.

7) This community is very close knit and I can only imagine the possibilities of more interaction between both servers once Early Access and Official Release are out and proud!
First of all thank you for the response! Also I find it a bit ironic that "Penny" gave her 2 cents Smile, I hope that we will find a LS that fits our characters personalities. I will have to look more into the Mysterium since my character, Orin. is a hot headed healer who typically find himself getting into trouble with his attitude, perhaps the Order could help tame his power. But then that leaves out the brother of Orin, Ceser (go figure he actually is my brother) who is the one who bails him out with the end of his spear facing the enemy. Anywho thanks again!

RE: Need help - Goodeburger - 08-23-2013

(08-23-2013, 09:25 PM)Orin Wrote:
(08-23-2013, 09:12 PM)Penny! Wrote: Hello! I can give my two cents on what your problems are and such.

First of all thank you for the response! Also I find it a bit ironic that "Penny" gave her 2 cents Smile, I hope that we will find a LS that fits our characters personalities. I will have to look more into the Mysterium since my character, Orin. is a hot headed healer who typically find himself getting into trouble with his attitude, perhaps the Order could help tame his power. But then that leaves out the brother of Orin, Ceser (go figure he actually is my brother) who is the one who bails him out with the end of his spear facing the enemy. Anywho thanks again!
No problem! And, that is a bit ironic, I hadn't noticed, haha. I'm always around on here. I just don't post too much but that's starting to change! Also, if you want, both your brother and you can add me in game if you want. It's always great to have great RPers on your friendslist. That way you can give 'em a quick /tell whenever! ^ ^

RE: Need help - FreelanceWizard - 08-24-2013

(08-23-2013, 09:25 PM)Orin Wrote: I will have to look more into the Mysterium since my character, Orin. is a hot headed healer who typically find himself getting into trouble with his attitude, perhaps the Order could help tame his power. But then that leaves out the brother of Orin, Ceser (go figure he actually is my brother) who is the one who bails him out with the end of his spear facing the enemy. Anywho thanks again!

We actually have a couple of ways that Ceser can be involved -- he needn't be left out! Smile First, we have Fellows, who are members of the Tower who don't pursue magic but enable those who do. They're messengers, bodyguards, warriors, and crafters, and they're considered full Wizards of Mysterium despite not being mages -- they swear to the Code of the Magi, have a Sigil, and can participate in meetings and rituals. Fellows exist for just the sort of situation you describe. Smile If you're familiar with Ars Magica, Fellows are similar conceptually to House Mercere.

Second, we have Dear Friends, who are close friends and allies of the Tower but don't swear to the Code of the Magi and aren't Wizards. They can join our LS and participate in meetings and rituals at the discretion of the Voice and the Grandmasters. Usually this title is reserved for allies who are independent or sworn to another FC, but it could be employed here, too.

In terms of how the group works, we do a fair bit of world RP (at the end of P4, three of us were RPing in Gridania's Adventurers' Guild and getting others involved) and our PvE is nominally IC. This is because we're a heavy RP guild -- being IC as much as possible is important to us. I like to think we're adherent to lore, open to others (especially in world RP), and community-oriented, what with our burgeoning alliance with XI:7 and Blades of Nald'thal. The one thing you mention that we don't really do is RP-PvP. While there's certainly nothing preventing people from doing it IC or OOC, it's not really relevant to our concept, and at least I and the officers aren't big fans of PvP (conflict RP is another matter; I'm speaking of PvP game systems only here).

Anyway, if you have any questions about Mysterium or want to run a concept by to see if it'd work, feel free to drop me a PM! Smile

RE: Need help - Gideon Aryeh - 08-24-2013

(08-24-2013, 01:18 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:
(08-23-2013, 09:25 PM)Orin Wrote: I will have to look more into the Mysterium since my character, Orin. is a hot headed healer who typically find himself getting into trouble with his attitude, perhaps the Order could help tame his power. But then that leaves out the brother of Orin, Ceser (go figure he actually is my brother) who is the one who bails him out with the end of his spear facing the enemy. Anywho thanks again!

We actually have a couple of ways that Ceser can be involved -- he needn't be left out! Smile First, we have Fellows, who are members of the Tower who don't pursue magic but enable those who do. They're messengers, bodyguards, warriors, and crafters, and they're considered full Wizards of Mysterium despite not being mages -- they swear to the Code of the Magi, have a Sigil, and can participate in meetings and rituals. Fellows exist for just the sort of situation you describe. Smile If you're familiar with Ars Magica, Fellows are similar conceptually to House Mercere.

Second, we have Dear Friends, who are close friends and allies of the Tower but don't swear to the Code of the Magi and aren't Wizards. They can join our LS and participate in meetings and rituals at the discretion of the Voice and the Grandmasters. Usually this title is reserved for allies who are independent or sworn to another FC, but it could be employed here, too.

In terms of how the group works, we do a fair bit of world RP (at the end of P4, three of us were RPing in Gridania's Adventurers' Guild and getting others involved) and our PvE is nominally IC. This is because we're a heavy RP guild -- being IC as much as possible is important to us. I like to think we're adherent to lore, open to others (especially in world RP), and community-oriented, what with our burgeoning alliance with XI:7 and Blades of Nald'thal. The one thing you mention that we don't really do is RP-PvP. While there's certainly nothing preventing people from doing it IC or OOC, it's not really relevant to our concept, and at least I and the officers aren't big fans of PvP (conflict RP is another matter; I'm speaking of PvP game systems only here).

Anyway, if you have any questions about Mysterium or want to run a concept by to see if it'd work, feel free to drop me a PM! Smile

^Can't go wrong with Freelance, trust me. If I had to start learning rp with anyone I'd start with Freelance like seriously!

RE: Need help - Gar - 08-24-2013

I just wanted to pop in and give my testimonial for Mysterium. If you think your character will fit with them, I highly suggest joining up with them. So far they've proven themselves to be an awesome group.

Like Freelance mentioned, there are three growing FCs that are allying with each other. So if you join Mysterium (Or one of the other two) you'll be getting an avenue for RP with two other groups at least.

My name is Garryson, and I approve of Mysterium's message. Thumbsup