Hydaelyn Role-Players
Zam's Article on the RPC - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Zam's Article on the RPC (/showthread.php?tid=406)

Pages: 1 2 3

Zam's Article on the RPC - Kylin - 08-18-2010

Front page exposure for us, woohoo! Be sure to check it out when you get the chance.

http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=23012

Edit: The responses to the actual Zam thread are kinda...depressing.

Re: Zam's Article on the RPC - Tadir - 08-18-2010

Good article. Not the response in the comments I was hoping to see, but if they want to stay away from our server, that's up to them.

Re: Zam's Article on the RPC - Kylin - 08-18-2010

The problem with the responses is this: If Zam's users don't give a semi-decent response to the article, there's a high chance the admins won't bother posting future stories about us after launch.

Re: Zam's Article on the RPC - Seraphine Felstar - 08-18-2010

Yeah, the comments are rather... sad. It sucks to get stereotyped. The article itself was very nicely written and I think represented us all excellently. Thank you Castiel for the huge effort to get the word out there and all the hard work you're doing to earn roleplayers a bit of respect from the Final Fantasy community! Much appreciated!

Is it alright if we post our own responses if they're polite and civil?

Please do post responses. At the very least, we can start a civil discussion. With Gamescon underway, our article is going to be swept away under the new FF14 info as is. Really bad timing for the article for us I think >.>

Re: Zam's Article on the RPC - Kashemia - 08-18-2010

It's a pretty nice article, and I think you did a good job of representing the community, Castiel.

The comments doesn't surprise me. It seems VERY common for non-roleplayers to have close to zero understanding of what roleplayers actually are/what they do. I've heard the idea that roleplayers are all bad players/don't care about the game/all cyber/all are geeks/etc. way more than I can count. I do hope it doesn't scare Zam away from working with us again.

Thanks guys, was hoping I did a good job with the interview ^^;. Maybe I'll see about posting the full interview transcript up. There were a lot of questions but the actual article had to be shortened no doubt just so people could read it.

For those who don't understand what a big deal this is, I'll try to put it into perspective. There are 3 major general FFXIV sites: Zam, Core, and Eorzepedia. Each one generates enormous traffic of thousands of players.

Statistically, Zam provides the RPC with over 20% of our redirect traffic. This is a huge statistic. In comparison, Eorzepedia is responsible for about 10% of our redirected traffic. Shockingly, Core is only responsible for about 2% of our traffic despite its massive numbers and the insane amount of times I've posted the RPC link there. So yeah...Zam's support is a really big deal for us.

Re: Zam's Article on the RPC - Tyriont - 08-18-2010

The term "vocal minority" springs to mind. Those commenting aren't the people we're wanting to attract anyway and the crew running Zam have been in the game long enough to realize that way more people read articles than comment on them. If a bunch of people who don't take the time to look into what we're about instead of going "Hurr RP lol" and slapping their dicks against each other don't like us then that's no real loss to us.

However, in looking over the comments I don't see anything to worry about. I really haven't seen anything truly mean-spirited in the whole 8 replies thus far. As far as responses go, I'd advise caution. As I said, I really don't think that there's much negativity at all, just a little light prodding...and hell, we poke fun at ourselves in worse ways than I've seen in what's there. If we get a bunch of RPC members posting essentially the same information (and I think Brin did a good job in his post, with little that needs expanding on) it just makes us look like we're all butt-hurt over some fairly innocuous comments.

The interview was good for what we're needing at this point. Frankly, I think the lack of the truly vitirolic comments is a very positive change given some of the responses I've seen to RP posts on the Zam boards in the past. At the end of the day, there's really not much to comment on in relation to the article. I think most who would read it who would be interested in it won't post. They'll read it, go "oh, cool" and move on, possibly making a mental note to watch for an announcement when we do settle on a server.

Pageviews are the true measure of an article's success, which we don't have access to.

Re: Zam's Article on the RPC - Mycroft - 08-18-2010

Yeah, I am sad to say that the Core isn't that RP friendly.. I've made sure to post a link to the RPC in every thread asking about RP unless someone had beaten me to it.

Nevertheless good article, and great work Castiel.
Your enthusiasm about this really shines through.

Re: Zam's Article on the RPC - Kashemia - 08-18-2010

I agree that the comments haven't been that bad at this point, so I don't think we have much to worry about either.

Re: Zam's Article on the RPC - Smiling River - 08-18-2010

I don't think we should go on the defensive, but just saying the same thing we are here such as "good read" etc. will give the comments section in general a more positive vibe.

The comments so far just confirm what we all knew, people are ignorant of what RP is. It's painful to see it every time we are publicly mentioned, but there it is.

Btw, Castiel hopefully traffic from Eorzeapedia will pick up once our podcast there gets going.

Re: Zam's Article on the RPC - Trizzip - 08-18-2010

It's my opinion that the biggest cause of the gaming community's dislike towards roleplayers is purely the fact that they are not informed on what we are about. From what I know, history has proven time and time again that ignorance leads to fear, anger, and hatred. It's kind of ironic because you would think those gamers would relate with how we feel, as there are many adults who don't even game and constantly grief other adults who do game.

If any of these folks were to lend an ear to our words and actually know the truth about roleplayers, I feel confident that there wouldn't be as much animosity towards us. Informing the community is probably the best thing we could do (coming from a respectful position of course).

Re: Zam's Article on the RPC - Aveline - 08-18-2010

I posted over on that thread and already the rate-down trolls have descended. That's always nice.

Re: Zam's Article on the RPC - Seraphine Felstar - 08-18-2010

It's the age old problem of some people aren't willing to listen no matter what you say. Honestly though, that's not the kind of person I think most of us would want to hang out with anyway. We're all fairly open minded and respectful of other peoples opinions so it would just cause problems to have someone who doesn't care to hear others out around. Lets let those who are going to flame us say whatever uneducated thing they want and respond in a mature manner so we'll end up ahead of the game.

I'll just be happy if word gets to even a few roleplayers who are interested in what we're doing here and gains us some respect within the community.

Again, I just gotta say a big huzzah to Castiel and a pat on the back to all the members here! A few years ago we never would have gotten this type of publicity. I think for the first time we have a real shot of being heard.

Re: Zam's Article on the RPC - Kima wolf - 08-18-2010

wow nice article indeed. and the comments after did not seem that bad to me, it actually looked like some people even came away from the discussion so far with a more open mind and understanding that not all Roleplayers try to force their game on others or sit around in taverns all night /erp for hours on end. Unfortunately many people have had bad first impressions with Role players and thus ruins it or makes it harder. Hell even as a RPer i've run into others who whine and complain about ANYTHING needlessly, just to start drama, or try to tell you if your "RP" is right or wrong. And we all know there are RPers out there who are very much like that so i can imagine what non-rpers deal with.

Roleplaying will always have a certain stigma attached to it which has been with it since the DnD days in the late 70s, that won't change, but what can change is at least convincing people we're not "the anti-christ" or anything and out to ruin/take over their gameplay with ours, and from reading the thread so far, it is nice to see no "angry" RPers get in their and just go off on everyone, you've all kept calm and cool heads plus you have posted intelligently, which will go a long way.