Hydaelyn Role-Players
Main Story Line Question - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Main Story Line Question (/showthread.php?tid=4066)

Pages: 1 2

Main Story Line Question - Dromwald - 08-28-2013

It's like this. I hate dungeons - I find them a stressful experience which in the past have ended up giving me a headache. Dungeons with strangers are even worse, particularly if those strangers are rude idiots. In the past this hasn't been an issue; I've just stayed away from dungeons. Yet now I find that it seems you cannot progress the main story without doing 3 dungeons! Worse still you can't get even something basic like storage and the ability to sell, ie via a retainer, until you've progressed the story.

Now I appreciate to most of you the dungeoneering experience is one of the things you enjoy most and you probably find my distress a little odd to say the least but there it is. Is there any way around the problem or should I just pack up my virtual bags now and be on my way?Sad

RE: Main Story Line Question - LiadansWhisper - 08-28-2013

There's actually a Linkshell dedicated specifically to grouping people from here together for dungeons.  Here's the thread about it:
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=3860

I'm sure that if you went as a DPS, and it was with people you knew through the Linkshell, you would like it better.  Smile

RE: Main Story Line Question - Kyatai - 08-28-2013

*nods*

The dungeons really aren't that bad... and if you're with a cool group of folks, not bad at all. I've done all 3, plus Ifrit with my FC (or folks from here)... and no wipe yet.
Really nothing to worry about if you're among friends Smile

RE: Main Story Line Question - KitKat - 08-28-2013

Just do the dungeons (seriously, the people I've done mine with have all been randoms and all have been nice, helpful, and fun to play with). It's really only about 90 minutes of your time all together, and not at all worth just throwing your hat in over.

I think you'll be missing out should you choose to leave the game over such a small aspect. Granted, I'm level 24 and don't know exactly how many more dungeons are required.

If you'd like, feel free to add me and I'll tag along (I'm an archer) so that way you can ensure that at least half of your dungeon party aren't rude idiots.

RE: Main Story Line Question - Ashren Dotharl - 08-28-2013

I'm going to be 100% honest with you, if you're not into dungeons than this game is most definitely not for you. Outside of a few FATEs, and PvP the only thing to do once you hit level 50 is to do dungeons, and in order to progress through the main storyline you have to do EVERY dungeon in the game at least once. It doesn't just stop at the first three. At level 15 to 17 you do Sastasha, Tam-Tara Deepcroft, and Copperbell Mines. Then at around level 25 you do Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak. At level 29-ish you do Haukke Manor, and at around level 32 you do Brayflox Longstop. That's as far as I have gotten, though I know there is another at 35, and let's not forget the Primal fights spread out through the game.

tl;dr: This game is entirely run on dungeon grinding, so if you're not into that you're going to miss out on about 50-60% of the game. My suggestion would be to try it, if you still feel it's too stressful for you then you're best bet would be to move on.

RE: Main Story Line Question - Yini Kihn - 08-28-2013

(08-28-2013, 03:33 AM)Ashren Snow Wrote: tl;dr: This game is entirely run on dungeon grinding, so if you're not into that you're going to miss out on about 50-60% of the game. My suggestion would be to try it, if you still feel it's too stressful for you then you're best bet would be to move on.

I really don't agree with this at all, especially if you're into crafting! Yes, you do need to do the dungeons once to get through the story, but that's really a piece of cake with a nice group that'll help you though. Our group would be happy to take you along in a lighthearted, slow-played, and IC manner for the entire way!

Once you do the story, there's plenty of content besides dungeons including FATEs, a ton of sidequests, crafting, housing, the up-and-coming Golden Saucer—and, of course, role-playing! There's absolutely no reason you need to run dungeons to get the very, very best gear if that's not what you're into. You can still get very respectable stuff entirely via crafting, which it itself a ton of fun.

In short, I think you'll be just fine so long as you find a friendly group to help you though! Don't give up until you've given it a fair shot!

RE: Main Story Line Question - Salty Lake - 08-28-2013

I'll do dungeons with you too. I can come as arcanist, gladiator, or conjurer!

RE: Main Story Line Question - Dromwald - 08-28-2013

Many thanks for the encouragement guys - I guess I should'nt base my reluctance to do the dungeons on a few bad experiences in games like WoW. I already know there is a hell of a lot I like about the game so maybe I'll give those first three a shot and see where I go from there.

Thanks all for alaying some of my fearsSmile

RE: Main Story Line Question - LiadansWhisper - 08-28-2013

(08-28-2013, 03:55 AM)Dromwald Wrote: Many thanks for the encouragement guys - I guess I should'nt base my reluctance to do the dungeons on a few bad experiences in games like WoW. I already know there is a hell of a lot I like about the game so maybe I'll give those first three a shot and see where I go from there.

Nah, I really don't blame you for not wanting to pug.  After some of the tanks I've gotten, I'm not sure I want to pug, either.  LOL

RE: Main Story Line Question - Ashren Dotharl - 08-28-2013

(08-28-2013, 03:55 AM)Dromwald Wrote: Many thanks for the encouragement guys - I guess I should'nt base my reluctance to do the dungeons on a few bad experiences in games like WoW. I already know there is a hell of a lot I like about the game so maybe I'll give those first three a shot and see where I go from there.

To be fair, the dungeons are actually really simple for the most part up until around level 35. Even with the DF it's pretty difficult not to get through a dungeon pretty quickly.

RE: Main Story Line Question - Korin - 08-28-2013

I know exactly how you feel - In most games I am far too much of a wuss to even try queueing for dungeons. Usually I'll hide away until I find a guild or just a generally friendly group who are willing to force me into dungeons and the like. Once that hurdle has been cleared I might even dare to tank or heal! It's always a confidence issue. At least on my part.

Thankfully since it's so early into the game I find that pugs - including the silent ones - are still helpful and not at all elitist. Outside of that I find that forming or joining a group outside of the duty finder is also helpful - The ones I have been with so far have been in the same boat. It doesn't hurt to give it a try once or twice, at least - What's the worst that could happen? Smile

(08-28-2013, 03:45 AM)Yini Kihn Wrote:
(08-28-2013, 03:33 AM)Ashren Snow Wrote: tl;dr: This game is entirely run on dungeon grinding, so if you're not into that you're going to miss out on about 50-60% of the game. My suggestion would be to try it, if you still feel it's too stressful for you then you're best bet would be to move on.

I really don't agree with this at all, especially if you're into crafting! Yes, you do need to do the dungeons once to get through the story, but that's really a piece of cake with a nice group that'll help you though. Our group would be happy to take you along in a lighthearted, slow-played, and IC manner for the entire way!

Once you do the story, there's plenty of content besides dungeons including FATEs, a ton of sidequests, crafting, housing, the up-and-coming Golden Saucer—and, of course, role-playing! There's absolutely no reason you need to run dungeons to get the very, very best gear if that's not what you're into. You can still get very respectable stuff entirely via crafting, which it itself a ton of fun.

In short, I think you'll be just fine so long as you find a friendly group to help you though! Don't give up until you've given it a fair shot!
Could I take you up on your kind offer to take me through sometime? I'm levelling CNJ because I actually prefer healing in a party and I figure if I macro everything I can (I'm playing on a PS3 so I'm taking no chances!) and remember the cardinal rules to keep the tank alive, not to draw aggro and keep an eye on everyone's HP even I can't muck it upTongue I'm playing on GMT time but can make myself available whenever suits you guys.

@Vinrael - glad I'm not the only wussTongue

RE: Main Story Line Question - Korin - 08-28-2013

Being afraid of pugs is the story of my life ;---;

Nice to see another GMT player too, though - And a PS3 one at that! Being on the PS3 is why I don't really want to tank - I struggle with the targeting even as a DPS, so I dread to think how much i'll panic and fail if I have to pick up a stray target...XD

Feel free to hit me up on Korin if you want to group up sometime! Pugging is fine once you're used to it, but it still doesn't beat running dungeons with people you know.

(08-28-2013, 05:23 AM)Vinrael Wrote: Being afraid of pugs is the story of my life ;---;

Nice to see another GMT player too, though - And a PS3 one at that! Being on the PS3 is why I don't really want to tank - I struggle with the targeting even as a DPS, so I dread to think how much i'll panic and fail if I have to pick up a stray target...XD

Feel free to hit me up on Korin if you want to group up sometime! Pugging is fine once you're used to it, but it still doesn't beat running dungeons with people you know.
I certainly will - I'll send you a friend invite next time we're both onlineSmile

RE: Main Story Line Question - Amyr Mythweaver - 08-28-2013

I am also playing on GMT started out as a Marauder aiming to play a tank type for the first time normally I am a caster/healer type so if your willing to put up with me as I learn tanking in this game I will be willing to join up for dungeons too.

Oh I should warn you in advance my sense of direction is a little "fuzzy" as I can get lost in a wardrobe if left to my own devices! You have been warned!

My character is Xaria Xin thought I had best add that too heh!