Hydaelyn Role-Players
I have a question... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: I have a question... (/showthread.php?tid=415)

Pages: 1 2

I have a question... - Vareal - 08-19-2010

I have a question that's been nagging at the back of my mind for some time, but never really thought to ask it until now. I've heard some talks about creating character ALTS and all that good stuff in some of the other topics I've been perusing and I was curious if FFXIV is going to be like FFXI in it's character creations in the fact that you have to pay for an additional character slot, or do they give you more than one this time around?

Re: I have a question... - Tadir - 08-19-2010

$3 for an extra character. $1 for an extra retainer.

Per month.

Re: I have a question... - Vareal - 08-19-2010

Tadir Wrote:$3 for an extra character. $1 for an extra retainer.

Per month.

Well that's crappy. There's no reason for them to have to do that, but oh well. Looks like Nedral is it for me.

Re: I have a question... - Asyria - 08-19-2010

The ALT talk originated from confusion about character slots due to us having 3 of them in Beta, but so for the officially announced charrie slots are as Tadir described, with only one of each at start.

The reason they are doing this is, as far as I can tell, twofold.
1- With the "unlimited" Class-switching Armory system, who needs an alt? (except us RPers)
2- It allows them to charge less than the 14.99 most subscription-type mmo's have taken as standard price since they know enough people will gladly pay for more to make it worth it.

Re: I have a question... - Vareal - 08-19-2010

So is the monthly fee $11 or something?

Re: I have a question... - Satisiun - 08-19-2010

vareal Wrote:So is the monthly fee $11 or something?

$13 per month.

Not exactly the most cost efficient game when you realize to have a single mule it costs $16, huh? Most people I knew on FFXI had two mules (including myself), so were you to bring that habit over, then maybe throw in one extra retainer for sales purposes, that's an even Andrew Jackson ($20) right there.

Re: I have a question... - ArmachiA - 08-19-2010

It keeps my altitis in check, but I'm still rolling 4 characters.

Re: I have a question... - Rikitiki - 08-19-2010

ArmachiA Wrote:It keeps my altitis in check, but I'm still rolling 4 characters.

Heh. Trying to remember how long it's been since I actually rolled a character. You know, with dice. Big Grin

Re: I have a question... - Aradan - 08-20-2010

Rikitiki Wrote:Heh. Trying to remember how long it's been since I actually rolled a character. You know, with dice. Big Grin

I can't remember either. I've been using point buy-like systems that seem to be popular ever since D&D3rd. Although I think my DM was just mad when we all used loaded dice to roll our characters.

More seriously, I should point out that I believe you get one retainer as part of your basic fee as well. As far as I can tell, retainers are the way you store items. So, you'd only need an extra $1 per month for extra space.

I expect I'll be paying $16/month because there's no way I'll just roll one character. Undecided

Re: I have a question... - UnbeknownstGhost - 08-20-2010

I can't handle just one character. Especially RPing, so I'm going to have to pay 16 as well. :'( At least I'll have an onion helmet.

CHaracter avatars...

Re: I have a question... - Vareal - 08-20-2010

Well, it's official. I transfered my $17 deposit on a preorder for FFXIV standard edition to the special edition and put down the final $63. So I'll see some of you 8 days sooner than the rest!

Re: I have a question... - Asyria - 08-20-2010

Satisiun Wrote:
vareal Wrote:So is the monthly fee $11 or something?

$13 per month.

Not exactly the most cost efficient game when you realize to have a single mule it costs $16, huh? Most people I knew on FFXI had two mules (including myself), so were you to bring that habit over, then maybe throw in one extra retainer for sales purposes, that's an even Andrew Jackson ($20) right there.

Nonono a mule is 1$ (that's what retainers are for), so your main and 2 mules would be 13.99 instead of 12.99.
It's adding Alts that get expensive.

Re: I have a question... - UnbeknownstGhost - 08-20-2010

Do the alts come with a mule?

Re: I have a question... - Asyria - 08-20-2010

That's a good question... do ALL characters get one retainer or are the number of characters and retainers separate?
If each character automatically gets a retainer of their own 3$ for a charrie sounds more justified so it would be 2$ fr the charrie and 1$ for the retainer... Otherwise.. it would kinda suck.
As it's not specifically detailed that additional characters give you retainers, I'm guessing that they are unfortunately separate but that's a question best asked to SE.

Re: I have a question... - Smiling River - 08-20-2010

Quote:Do the alts come with a mule?

No. Retainer = mule, they are a $1 each. Alts (which are $3 each/per month) and retainers are independent of each other.