Hydaelyn Role-Players
Opinion on a name - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Opinion on a name (/showthread.php?tid=4295)

Pages: 1 2

Opinion on a name - Arc - 09-05-2013

I was wondering if I could get peoples opinion on a character name. He is a male Hyuran Midlander. His first name is Arc or Aedan

Some possible surnames that I cant decide on.

Windveil
Fellstar
Weild
Mathis
Lucis
Kildaren
Falkland

Indecisiveness is my mortal enemy, and I like all of these names, but I want y Balmung character to conform with the lore and naming conventions of his race. I would appreciate other people's input.

RE: Opinion on a name - Lost River - 09-05-2013

The first two make me think of a Highlander, for me, I'd go with Mathis.

RE: Opinion on a name - Roda - 09-05-2013

I'm fond of Aedan Mathis, myself. :3
It's nice to say.

RE: Opinion on a name - Arc - 09-05-2013

Thanks for the thoughts so far, they've really helped. And windveil and fellstar DO sound like Highlander names.

Have whittles it down to either Arc Mathis or Aedan Mathis. Thoughts?

RE: Opinion on a name - Edgar Callant - 09-05-2013

I say Arc Mathis. Smile Only cause Aedan is way too popular nowadays.

RE: Opinion on a name - Vinter - 09-05-2013

Aren't hyur supposed to have names based on old timey professions, like what the English have?
You know... Smith, Carpenter, Thatcher, Fletcher, Archer, Baker, Baxter, Butler, Harper, Mason, Merchant, Porter etc. etc.

Dargh... I'm quite fond of both. And on the Balmung Server,  there are only 4 Aedans and 4 Arcs. You can check this on the FFXIV website under characters. Curse this indecisiveness.

RE: Opinion on a name - Kylin - 09-05-2013

(09-05-2013, 03:02 AM)Arc Wrote: Some possible surnames that I cant decide on.

Windveil
Fellstar
Weild
Mathis
Lucis
Kildaren
Falkland

>.>
<.<
-.-

Ah... not that one then.

RE: Opinion on a name - Ildur - 09-05-2013

There's no realistic reason for not picking a common name. The only reason is to claim originality. But that only works if how uncommon it is has any effect on how much you like the name.
With that said, Aedan Mathis sounds good to me.

(09-05-2013, 08:25 AM)Vinter Wrote: Aren't hyur supposed to have names based on old timey professions, like what the English have?
You know... Smith, Carpenter, Thatcher, Fletcher, Archer, Baker, Baxter, Butler, Harper, Mason, Merchant, Porter etc. etc.
That's just one aspect of possible surnames for Hyuran Midlanders. The lore states that the racial naming conventions include names based on professions, but are not limited to them. Basically anything that works in a medieval, pre 17th century anglo-saxon, celtic, and briton names. Some were based from professions, as you said, some were an indicator of where people are from (North, Southway, Westmorland, etc). Some were an actual physical description of the person. (Browne, Greene, etc). There are some that dont have any of these factors, but were still surnames around in the time period that the lore speaks of. (Holmes, Wright, Bellveil, Stark, etc). I googled a few naming sites that could give me more examples to work with than the ones that appeared in the name generator, and Mathis was one I liked that also fit the first names (Arc and Aedan) that I wanted to use. I also noticed that many of the nore common surnames in the area had a french sound to them. Just a fun fact.
I think I'll use Aedan Mathis. A massive thank you to everyone who replied. It was all extremelyhelpful. Cant wait to meet you all in game.

RE: Opinion on a name - Evalentino - 09-05-2013

Aedan Mathis flows the best. Shame I like the name Arc too.

I felt that Arc was a name that would fit well among other populat final fantasy characters like cloud, squall, arc, zidane, tidus, etc. (See what I did thereBig Grin ) Then I found the naming conventions lore and was just loathe to change it, but Aedan worked with the lore and it was the name of my warden in dragon age, so i know its a name i will be happy with and confortable with using long term. that for me is a big thing. I keep asking myself. I like the name now, but what happens days or weeks or even months down the line? So i reached out to you fine people and your feedback and input has given me confidence in the name itself. I am now Aedan Mathis, resident of Eorzea.

RE: Opinion on a name - Vinter - 09-05-2013

Woo! Welcome to Eorzea, Aedan!