Hydaelyn Role-Players
Seeking like-minded role-players on Balmung! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Seeking like-minded role-players on Balmung! (/showthread.php?tid=4403)

Pages: 1 2 3

Seeking like-minded role-players on Balmung! - Cato - 09-09-2013

UPDATE 1: We now have a linkshell, aptly named 'Wanderer's Retreat'. It'll make it much easier to keep in touch and organise things.

UPDATE 2: When I first created this project I was expecting a handful of role-players to get involved, though I'm very pleased to see that the response has been stronger than expected. To prevent things getting too chaotic, however, I'll be closing the linkshell recruitment when we hit 25 members. It's a tough decision, but I want to ensure that everyone involved so far is able to get to know each other IC and OOC. I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Now that the initial launch craze has subsided somewhat and most people are able to get online without any major delays I figured I'd create a thread to try and locate some like-minded role-players to team up with and forge some interesting and memorable role-play!

First things first, there's a few things I'd like to establish, some of which may be controversial but I figured they're worth saying to better find what I'm searching for:

- I'm not looking for overly silly role-play. A bit of humour is brilliant, but when someone's character spends the majority of their time acting like they're on a constant sugar rush it can become rather off-putting. This goes for 'cute' characters, too. My character doesn't care much for miqo'te that act like giggling schoolgirls or lusty/angsty teenagers and I can't say I do either.

- I'm not looking to make my character subservient to someone else's character or vice-versa. This also means that I'm not really looking to become another recruit in someone's guild. 

- Taking one or two liberties with a character concept in order to make it work is fine, provided the gist of it lines up with the canon lore rather nicely. When every other character trait ends up being a gimmick, however, I lose interest rather swiftly.

- Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for role-play, or perhaps you're not in the mood for role-play. We've real lives to attend to outside the game and a bit of mutual respect goes a long way in that regard. If you or I end up having to cut a scene short, that's fine - we can pick up where we left off at a later date.

- I don't want to be cooped up in taverns. They serve their purpose rather well if used in moderation, though I'd much prefer to get out into the wider world and set up camp in secluded, interesting locations instead of having my character get drunk day after day in a dingy tavern.

- It's a fantasy setting, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for a bit of sensible realism. If it starts raining, our characters should feel the effects - if they're injured in a skirmish then they'll need to stop and bind/disinfect their wounds. I also like to include an element of danger when passing through regions infested by bandits and the like.

I suppose this is getting a bit longer than I intended, but to get to the heart of the matter:

I'm looking for mature, literate role-players who want to get out into the game world and put a heavy focus upon character driven interaction. I want something along the lines of the classic band of adventurers from different walks of life banding together due to circumstances outside of their control. I want there to be drama, suspense and intrigue. Perhaps a betrayal or two along the way? So long as it is compelling and lines up with the canon lore I'm likely to be up for it. If it means anything, I'm rather fond of Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy XII. Role-play that boasts a similar level of grit and maturity - without losing the fantasy elements - would be perfect! I'm also in search of villains to interact with, if anyone's interested in pursuing that particular role. A Garlean would be perfect, but I'd consider other options.

If this piques someone's curiosity, feel free to ask questions and I'll try and answer them to the best of my ability!

RE: Seeking like-minded role-players on Balmung! - Divisor - 09-09-2013

I'd love to get involved with a group like this! It seems right up my alley. I'm still working the kinks out with my character and I'm also kinda tunnel visioning on getting to 50 and finishing up the story before I start seriously RPing, but I'll absolutely get involved once I'm ready!

RE: Seeking like-minded role-players on Balmung! - Cato - 09-09-2013

(09-09-2013, 12:30 AM)Divisor Wrote: I'd love to get involved with a group like this! It seems right up my alley. I'm still working the kinks out with my character and I'm also kinda tunnel visioning on getting to 50 and finishing up the story before I start seriously RPing, but I'll absolutely get involved once I'm ready!

Great! I'll be ensuring that the group remains open to ensure that fresh blood can pop in and out as they please. I might also make a linkshell once it's up and running to make it easier for those involved to keep in touch. 

I've yet to sink my teeth into role-playing J'hared yet, though that's mostly because he isn't really the type to lurk in a tavern making small talk with strangers. I've had him stand in the background and observe other patrons, though I crave something more meaningful.

RE: Seeking like-minded role-players on Balmung! - Swift Nightclaw - 09-09-2013

I'm on Gilgamesh, but I 100% agree with what you're saying here. I'm actually developing a linkshell and hopefully a free company that will be dedicated to developing a group of RPers with this kind of approach in mind.

Hope you find the same on Balmung!

RE: Seeking like-minded role-players on Balmung! - Oriane Suhzu - 09-09-2013

I'd also be quite interested!

I haven't had the chance to really RP Oriane just yet, and haven't gotten her fully fleshed out, but I'd love to be able to dedicate myself to a few good RP groups with some good people.

Send me a /tell in-game or PM me on here if you'd ever like to get something together or do something!

RE: Seeking like-minded role-players on Balmung! - Cato - 09-09-2013

(09-09-2013, 01:06 AM)Swift Nightclaw Wrote: I'm on Gilgamesh, but I 100% agree with what you're saying here. I'm actually developing a linkshell and hopefully a free company that will be dedicated to developing a group of RPers with this kind of approach in mind.

Hope you find the same on Balmung!

Thanks! I intend to create an alt on Gilgamesh at some point when I get J'hared to a higher level. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you when I do!

(09-09-2013, 02:03 AM)Oriane Suhzu Wrote: I'd also be quite interested!

I haven't had the chance to really RP Oriane just yet, and haven't gotten her fully fleshed out, but I'd love to be able to dedicate myself to a few good RP groups with some good people.

Send me a /tell in-game or PM me on here if you'd ever like to get something together or do something!

I'll try and poke you in-game - though feel free to do the same to me! My character travels fairly often so I can justify him showing up in quite a few locations.

RE: Seeking like-minded role-players on Balmung! - Zaul - 09-09-2013

This actually sounds really cool. I haven't role played my character yet either but hoping to hop into some soon. Might have to get in on this!

RE: Seeking like-minded role-players on Balmung! - Imsey - 09-09-2013

I'm interested in this as well, or would certainly like to try it out.  I haven't honestly gotten to RP Zha'li more than once, and would love to remedy that so I can really get to know him.

RE: Seeking like-minded role-players on Balmung! - Lament - 09-09-2013

I registered just to reply to this topic.

I'm part of a small group of RP stragglers who rolled Faerie when Balmung and Gilgamesh were closed. Other than myself there are two people currently on Faerie who I know are interested in deeper, character-driven RP. I also have a legacy friend on Balmung who similarly wants engaging RP (he says he will not sub unless he lands some, which is understandable since he already RPs on WoW). My Faerie main is Lyra'to Maegah (male miqo'te, keeper of the moon).

I rolled an alt on Balmung when it first reopened - Ethne Lancaster (female hyur, midlander). I haven't committed to either server yet, and while I'd like to commit to Faerie where I already made friends, the number of people there who want RP is small, and the number of people who want involved RP, smaller. So I've been contemplating keeping Balmung as my main, and am trying to convince the other two like-minded RPers to switch with me. They're on the fence because of the work they already put on their characters, but if there's already some compelling RP waiting for them, I think they could be swayed.

All of that is to say - I'm interested, and I know 3 people who are pretty much dying for some deep RP, too.

If we could put together a Linkshell with all the interested people, that'd be fantastic. I could at least get my friends to roll lowbies to chat with you all before they decide.

I would love to chat with you in-game about this if possible.

RE: Seeking like-minded role-players on Balmung! - Kyatai - 09-10-2013

This sounds like EXACTLY the kind of RP I prefer (and, in truth, have not seen since my days in SWG, and to some extent Vanguard).
I am -dying- to have more mature RP interactions than 'random hook ups' and 'Jerry Springer' or 'tweenage' drama.
I've found some so far in game, but not enough.

I like darker, gritty RP.
I love Lore and sticking as close to it as I'm given- but with the wiggle room to be creative too.
I dislike huge groups or tavern RP where it is hard to follow conversations or hear one's self think.
In SWG, I played all sides of the fence and dealt with storylines that went to nearly every realm possible. Torture? yes. Murder? yes. Assassinations? Yes. Bounty hunts? Romantic? Adventurous? Betrayals? In depth cultural? Jedi? Sith? Grey? Empire? Republic? Criminal? Medical? Governmental? Spy-Net? Military? All yeses.

I like serious RP- but not all RP has to be *grimface* serious.
Just.... REAL for the setting.
With -consequences- for mistakes and actions.
Not everything is 'shiny-happy people holding hands'... yanno? Tongue

So yeah. Look me up. I'm interested.
I'm in a FC already, some of which are like-minded, some preferring the 'lighter' version of RP.

Chiane N'ardente

RE: Seeking like-minded role-players on Balmung! - Rinh Hallani - 09-10-2013

I would love to be involved in something like this.

RE: Seeking like-minded role-players on Balmung! - Rosekitten - 09-10-2013

How did I overlook this topic ? Anyway, this sounds exactly what a group of us are looking for. Currently a friend and myself got the crazy notion to start up a Free Company based on similar ideas as what was posted here. I'd love to get in contact with you and see if we can't work out interactions of some sort. Networking is key right? Maybe even working out something to involve the other members of the group I'm in, I've been more or less focused on crafting and leveling where I'm behind.

RE: Seeking like-minded role-players on Balmung! - K'nahli - 09-10-2013

My character isn't exactly a 'group' person but perhaps we could have some light affiliation along the way if you'll have my RP ;; Perhaps there are things we can offer each other and have a symbiotic relationship.

In additon to that, I plan on making an alt called something along the lines of "Masked Bandit" which can make appearances randomly at scenes where my characters won't be active just so I can add a little diversity to otherwise normal scenes. The charm about this being that the character can be reused over and over without the need for personalities to carry over. The bandit can die or be injured and never come back, or be driven away and later return for revenge. I hope others will show interest in this too, would be nice to get some expendable antagonists around ^^

Anyways, those light, undevrloped characters can also possibly play a role alongside you, should you want menial tasks done to save yourself the effort, who knows? ^^

RE: Seeking like-minded role-players on Balmung! - Azelle - 09-10-2013

All of your points are exactly what I am looking as a mature roleplayer in FFXIV. I am also tired of the cutesy anime female characters, tavern-rp, stretch on realistic lore, anime style and overall lack of serious RP storylines and fun. I have two characters that could fit nicely in an adventuring band, a void-hunter black mage and a self-exiled knight from Coerthas. Please feel free to private message me if you are interested, I know I am!

RE: Seeking like-minded role-players on Balmung! - Kerr - 09-10-2013

This is the kind of RP that I crave as well. I want something I can sink my teeth into; something gritty and more real for this world. That isn't to say that light-hearted RP and humor don't have their places or appeal, but I very much am tired of silly, giggly PC's. I'm usually in game on the weekends right now. I hope to see all of you around!